Favorite Quentin Tarantino movie?

• 92 results
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Poll Favorite Quentin Tarantino movie? (378 votes)

Reservoir Dogs 18%
Pulp Fiction 35%
Jackie Brown 8%
Kill Bill 14%
Death Proof 0%
Inglourious Basterds 12%
Django Unchained 8%
I dislike all his movies because I have no taste 2%
I have never seen any of his movies and don't know what I am missing 1%

• 
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I liked Inglourious Basterds far, far more than I thought I would.

And this just reminds me that I've yet to see Jackie Brown.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

It would be very easy to just vote Pulp Fiction, and it is an amazing movie that deserve all the praise it has received over the years, but I actually ended up voting Inglourious Basterds. Basterds isn't my absolute favorite QT movie but it's definitely up there. It might actually be my second favorite beneath Pulp. I choose Basterds because I feel like the movie got a lot of slack from certain groups/people for not being the Tarantino movie they wanted. In some ways I think Basterds is a slightly more mature Tarantino movie, even though it has its crazy moments, and think that's part of the reason why I like it so much.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Kill Bill is Tarantino at the top of his game. In the writing department, in the visual department and in the sound department, Kill Bill ranks above all of his work.

And it has the most beautiful scene in his entire repertoire (the Uma v Lucy duel)

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay, this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question:

People tend to like Kill Bill Vol. 1 over Vol. 2, and while I completely see the merits of both movies, I could never quite figure out why this is the opinion of the overwhelming majority. I absolutely love Vol. 1 because the entire plot with O-Ren and the tension in Vernita's scene is A+ stuff (and come on, Hattori Hanzo), but Vol. 2 has so many fantastic moments. The confrontation at the condo is easily the most poignant sequence in the story, and the wedding flashback is super important too. (Plus the fight with Elle is my favorite one, no matter how much I love O-Ren.) So I guess I start to wonder if people just like Vol. 1 more because of the big, grand action sequences? Is it a preference of style (Japanese vs Western) or character (Vernita/Gogo/O-Ren vs Bud/Elle/Bill)?

I think about this a lot, sorry.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Django Unchained
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  4. Kill Bill
  5. Inglourious Basterds
  6. Death Proof
  7. Jackie Brown
1337W422102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I gotta with dat Fiction, son.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulp Fiction is my vote mainly because we get to see Sam Jackson epically mis-quote the Bible as he's about to kill a guy.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Reservoir Dogs is my favorite. I like the characters, the way the story is presented, and the conclusion. Just a great movie.

Pulp Fiction is great too, but I'm never as invested in the characters or story in this movie because everything's so separate. It's like 4 amazing short films in the same universe instead of 1 amazing film.

I get pretty bored when I watch Jackie Brown. It's kinda quiet and slow paced. Still awesome, but after Death Proof it's probably my least favorite.

That first Kill Bill is a damn near perfect action movie, the only problem is it doesn't have an end, and the action in the second movie isn't nearly as good so it feels like an anticlimactic conclusion. I feel like Kill Bill could've been my favorite but the second movie let me down so it's more like third.

Death Proof is very fun in concept and execution, but even if it's intentional, there's a lot of bad stuff in that movie. Definitely my least favorite.

Inglorious Basterds is really good, but I feel like it's a little too ambitious for its own good. They focus on too many characters and none of their arcs really stand out because of that, and I actually found the conclusion of just about every character's story pretty unsatisfying. Great movie, but probably my third least favorite.

Django Unchained I should probably see again. I remember thinking it was fantastic, but I couldn't really say where it ranked, probably right around the middle.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By Hunter5024
@vocalcannibal said:

So I guess I start to wonder if people just like Vol. 1 more because of the big, grand action sequences? Is it a preference of style (Japanese vs Western) or character (Vernita/Gogo/O-Ren vs Bud/Elle/Bill)?

I think I'd say say yes to all of the above. Also I think Vol 2 was just a little too different in terms of pacing, so if you go in expecting it to be like the first, you're going to be kinda let down. Still a great movie though.

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

can all of them be my favorite? But, maybe his section in Four Rooms would edge out the rest. Just because that holds a special place in my heart.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reservoir Dogs is his best movie by a shitload.

Avatar image for chronicthehedgehog
ChronicTheHedgehog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread makes me angry.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

1. Pulp Fiction
  2. Kill Bill Volume 1
  3. Reservoir Dogs
  4. Django Unchained
  5. Kill Bill Volume 2
  6. Inglorious Basterds
  7. Death Proof

Pulp Fiction is easily number 1, I really enjoy Kill Bill and Reservoir Dogs and they are pretty close together at 2 and 3. I really enjoyed Django but I've only seen it once and I have yet to feel the desire to rewatch it so I'm not sure how it holds up on multiple viewings. Inglorious Basterds is so low because while I do like it I almost find it a chore to watch. Oh and I have yet to see Jackie Brown but this thread is kind of making me want to watch it.

jimipeppr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By jimipeppr

My order is: Kill Bill(s), Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, and Inglorious Basterds. The others are decent, but they're not worth mentioning next to the top four.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Inglorious Bastards is the only one I can honestly say I enjoyed enough to watch twice, although I've yet to see Django Unchained and I barely remember Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs so it's hard to really have an opinion of them but people say they're good so maybe they are. Generally I'd say I'm not a fan of his work, if for no other reason than because Kill Bill was a steaming pile of garbage and everyone wouldn't shut up about it like it was the second coming.

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#66  Edited By PandaBear

Death Proof at 0% ... seems about right. I mean it's not a terrible film, but it is very boring and easily his least creative. Even he said it's his worst film.

Anyway, Pulp Fiction is easily number one. The rest... any order make sense really.

BlueFalcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd have to say Pulp Fiction. I also really liked Django Unchained and had fun laughing out loud in the theater every time a racist white person was brought to justice.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Kill Bill
  2. Pulp Fiction
  3. Inglorious Basterds
  4. Reservoir Dogs
  5. Deathproof
  6. Django Unchained

Even though Pulp Fiction is probably his best work, my favourite Tarantino film/s is Kill Bill. I think Death Proof is very underrated, and I liked it way more than Planet Terror. It had a great main character you love to hate, really great car chases and was nothing more than it needs to be. Never seen Jackie Brown, though I would want to!

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sunbrozak said:

Can I cheat and say From Dusk Till Dawn?

I'm with this duder! It's not "the best", sure, but it's the most fun I had with a "Tarantino" flick.

Sans the incredibly awkward foot fetishization scene. I could have done without that...

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vocalcannibal: I personally can't separate them. KIll Bill is to me a 4 hour movie not two movies. Its just going through different styles the whole time. But its hard to compete artistically with the crazy 88 and the duel afterwards. The way the colors contrast in those scene is absolute genius.

It was damn interesting how the first movie was all about linear revenge tale and building the protagonist whilst the the second one built the antagonists in a unique and realistic sort of way, but then disposed of them in highly non-linear manner. Even though chronologically in the first film its not as it appears that, its just shown in that specific way to make it seem ultra linear.

I especially loved it at Bill's house, he was well written and from the moment she enters the house it feels like it could be its own short film, done very western style with great music and a duel at the end. I was just thinking about forgiveness the whole time, just letting the past go and living in the moment. If she had walked in without the history you would think it would be a happy family ending but even though the possibility probably goes through her mind. Its obvious she can't let go, this is a pure revenge tale which takes precedence over child rearing, love and even happiness itself.

studioerebus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Without a doubt, Jackie Brown.

@hadoken101: I really like Death Proof. I'd rather watch it than Planet Terror any day of the week.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Hmmmmmmmm, I think I'm gonna have to go with Kill Bill. It's what turned me into a fan of his. I had seen bits and pieces of his movies before, but was kinda like "psssh, whatever." Then I actually sat down and watched the whole thing from beginning to end and...welp...IT'S PRETTY FUCKING AMAZING.

Kinda surprised at the reaction to Death Proof. Well, not anymore, but when I first watched it, I had no idea so many people, including Tarantino himself, considered it to be his worst movie. I fucking loved it.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulp Fiction is the only movie of his that I enjoy.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I think his stuff is overpraised. I get that he does amazing filmwork and I can recognize that, it's just that I think the actual films are not that fun to watch.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pulp Fiction! I saw it five times when it came out in theaters. Couldn't get enough of it. Soundtrack kept me going for a full year. When it's on TV I'll watch. My next pick would have been Kill Bill. Just so awesome and over the top fun. I didn't like the second movie as much though. Also watch it whenever its on.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1) Jackie Brown
2) Django Unchained
3) Reservoir Dogs
4) Pulp Fiction

The rest are toss.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

1.) Jackie Brown

2.) Reservoir Dogs

3.) Django Unchained

4.) Inglorious Basterds

5.) Pulp Fiction

I absolutely adore Jackie Brown, it's crazy how it's his best movie yet so few people realize it. Reservoir Dogs and Django are both close, honestly any of those three could be my number 1.

I absolutely cannot stand Kill Bill 1 or 2, and Death Proof is just eh.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

@goreyfantod: Agreed a thousand times over! He should apply his stylistic chops to other people's novels, like Kubrick did. Jackie Brown is his only film that has a heart, that isn't emotionally superficial, that is "about something" - it's no coincidence that it's based on a novel by a dude who really understood people, and their motivations, and their sadness. I mean, I loved Pulp Fiction when I was 14, but I now find it almost unwatchably self-conscious and somehow... empty.

WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By WalterCrunkFite

@rafaelfc: What was your criteria for making this "objective" decision? I'm not spoiling for a fight, genuinely interested. (I hate how the atmosphere of the internet nowadays makes me feel like I have to clarify such things!)

SonicWafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top 4 are very close together, bottom 4 not so much.

Pulp Fiction

Reservoir Dogs

Inglorious Basterds

Django Unchained

Jackie Brown

Kill Bill 1+2

Death Proof

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

It's a tough one for me between Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown, but I went with the former.

Junkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Junkboy

I'm proud that even with Pulp Fiction's clear victory the actual best Taratino film Reservoir Dogs has at least second place.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely Kill Bill, with Pulp Fiction as a close second.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know i should say Pulp Fiction, and it's a helluva film, but there's just something about Inglorious Basterds to me that is perfectly executed. The tension and the plays with language and Christoph Waltz and Brad Pitt's hilariously shitty character that's top billed though barely playing a part. It's all pure gold to me. Hell i even think eli roth's character is great.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

I was very confused when I saw Pulp Fiction. Just couldn't understand what the fuss what about. Maybe it was a time and a place thing.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Inglorious Basterds is Tarantino at his best, IMO. The tension in that movie is masterful stuff, the bar scene especially.

The Kill Bill movies really had some fantastic moments, but were a bit meandering and over-the-top at times.

I enjoyed Reservoir Dogs for the most part, but it felt long, and for a movie that in reality isn't long, that's a problem.

Pulp Fiction is a wildly overrated film. It's not half as cool or clever as people consider it to be, and it's a bit juvenile.

(Note: I haven't seen Jackie Brown or Django Unchained, so no judgment on those.)

I like Tarantino for the most part, but I feel like he needs someone keeping him in check and on track. There's some brilliance there for sure, but it's like he has this dorky 12-year-old take over his mind on occasion, and it cheapens the substance in his films. Which I guess is why he has such a cult following, because juxtaposing extremely well-crafted dialogue/superb direction with hyperexplicit/violent nonsense is the kind of incongruous shit that seems "artsy" and "independent". I wish the guy would be a bit more professional, personally, but it's not like his style isn't working for him, so what do I know?

Beyond_Recall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

R-DOGS ALL DAY LONG MOTHERFUCKER.

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By saucygiraffe

I probably like Django the best, it has a simple and straight forward narrative. Sometimes less is more.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By dichemstys

I should see Death Proof at some point.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I largely agree with the results of the poll, but Death Proof is not getting enough love. I like the film much more than Django, Basterds or Jackie Brown. On top of his brilliant use of music I really appreciate how Tarantino leaves room for long conversations in his films, and that he builds really interesting female characters. Death Proof really shines in all three facets.

Loading Video...

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#92  Edited By Little_Socrates

My favorite is Pulp Fiction, but the best is certainly Django Unchained. Jamie Foxx. I absolutely HATE Django Unchained, mind you; it fills me with violent furor towards the powers that be, and I don't like to be angry. But it's an amazing film.

Generally, I'd say he's super overrated, but he also hasn't made a film I've seen and disliked. I was really underwhelmed by Reservoir Dogs, but I'd still probably give it three stars. I haven't seen Death Proof, and that's the popular caveat, so it's possible it's no good. He's no Paul Thomas Anderson (and he'd probably agree with that statement) but he's made two or three great films. The rest are all at least fine.

In my list of working directors, I'd probably put him below folks like both popular Andersons (I'd choose Boogie Nights and The Life Aquatic,) the Coens (Inside Llewyn Davis,) Christopher Nolan (who can pick? Maybe Inception) and Terrence Malick (impossible not to choose The Tree of Life) before him. I'd need to see a couple more films by Darren Aranofsky (Black Swan) and Nicolas Winding Refn (I love Bronson, but Drive), and there are a handful of fantastic up-and-coming directors that come to mind.

That "greatest working directors" question is a lot tougher now that Hayao Miyazaki is supposedly done and guys like Martin Scorsese (picking Goodfellas, picking on Hugo and The Wolf of Wall Street) and David Fincher (his best is probably still Fight Club, and what a disappointment Gone Girl turned out to be) have fallen off.