Fear of flying.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

At the start of the year I had met two exchange students, one from Taiwan and the other from Thailand, we have become pretty close friends and hang out quite a bit.
and I was recently asked if I wanted to go to Taiwan with one of them to stay for a few months, now I would love to go, I would love to travel the world and see other cultures and places but there is one big problem, I`m terrified of planes, I hate the look of them and even the smell of them, going to the airport even brings upon anxiety.
Now I want to go and will do anything to fight this fear but it's something I'll need major counselling to overcome.
I`m not sure what brings on this fear or why I even have it, I think it's kind of stupid but I guess everyone has a fear of something. I know what doesn't help are all the news networks that show plane crashes and make it seem like they just fall from the sky, I know people who have flown there whole life and have never had a problem and say it's the most safe and beautiful way to travel.
So have you guys ever had a fear that you had to overcome, like in my situation I get to travel across the world unless I pansy out and have a panic attack on the plane.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At the start of the year I had met two exchange students, one from Taiwan and the other from Thailand, we have become pretty close friends and hang out quite a bit.
and I was recently asked if I wanted to go to Taiwan with one of them to stay for a few months, now I would love to go, I would love to travel the world and see other cultures and places but there is one big problem, I`m terrified of planes, I hate the look of them and even the smell of them, going to the airport even brings upon anxiety.
Now I want to go and will do anything to fight this fear but it's something I'll need major counselling to overcome.
I`m not sure what brings on this fear or why I even have it, I think it's kind of stupid but I guess everyone has a fear of something. I know what doesn't help are all the news networks that show plane crashes and make it seem like they just fall from the sky, I know people who have flown there whole life and have never had a problem and say it's the most safe and beautiful way to travel.
So have you guys ever had a fear that you had to overcome, like in my situation I get to travel across the world unless I pansy out and have a panic attack on the plane.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Come on dude, the only bad part of a plane is the shitty seats. Trust me, you'll be fine "if" you choose to go to Taiwan.

I was hella afraid of robbers when I was a kid...but I sucked it up (( AND NOW I AM A ROBBERRRR ))

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By toowalrus

Personally, I love it. I don't understand the fear of airplanes. But I guess that's why they're called irrational fears. Has anyone told you that you're more likely to get in a car wreck on the way to the airport, then for the plane to crash?

I used to have a fear of social activities, but two years of all guys school in a foreign country fixed that. The best way to overcome a fear is to just face it.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

If you have a panic attack on the plane, you'll be labeled as a terrorist. 

So technically you win the second you get on the plane and it's off.  You can't panic out, in fear of going to jail.  Use that fear to steady yourself. 

For years I was afraid of fire.  So one day I made a bondfire and stepped into it.  The flames were warmth...it warmed my scared soul. 

Just fly and that fear be broken.  How else are you going to visit me in Japan?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

You also lost a friend in a crash if I remember correctly. Counseling would be beneficial no matter what, never mind the flying. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is true, but maybe you had this fear before your friend's death. Talk is good no matter who it's with, but a professional is worth the price if you choose to go that way. Good luck and take care.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claude said:
"You also lost a friend in a crash if I remember correctly. Counseling would be beneficial no matter what, never mind the flying. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is true, but maybe you had this fear before your friend's death. Talk is good no matter who it's with, but a professional is worth the price if you choose to go that way. Good luck and take care."
Yeah I did lose a friend in a crash, it was a helicopter but all the same to me.
But I have had this fear before that and it was never this bad and I`m not sure if thats what stopping but I have an appointment to see a docter and maybe he can hook me up with some pills for on the plane and get my stoned out of my tree's for the whole trip : P
But seriously I'm going to try my best to fight this fear and step on that plane like I OWN THAT SHIT.......or I'll just sit down and try and relax.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By kmdrkul

Can you legally consume alcohol?  If yes, then well there is your answer.  Why not toss back sleeping pills and sleep the entire trip?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HandsomeDead

Just have the panic attack and you'll be better off for it. When I flew for the first time, I nearly ripped the arm off the seat because I grabbed it so hard but after that, I was fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HandsomeDead said:
"Just have the panic attack and you'll be better off for it. When I flew for the first time, I nearly ripped the arm off the seat because I grabbed it so hard but after that, I was fine."
Thats actually not a bad idea because not to long ago I actually had a panic attack on a plane and had to get my luggage and take the walk of shame back home, everyone stared at me as I got off the plane and 8 security guards were lined up to lead me out of the air port, I looked like an idiot but if I had stayed on the plane and had the panic attack but stayed in my seat which would be fairy unlikely but I might have been able to overcome how stupid I was acting.
I want to overcome this fear it makes me angry how I fear something that others can love and do anytime they want as if it were a part of normal routine, I dread the thought of going on a plane months before I even have to.
So like I said I guess I'll see what mr.docter can do for me.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Claude

When you Bucketdeth said:

"Claude said:
"You also lost a friend in a crash if I remember correctly. Counseling would be beneficial no matter what, never mind the flying. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder is true, but maybe you had this fear before your friend's death. Talk is good no matter who it's with, but a professional is worth the price if you choose to go that way. Good luck and take care."
Yeah I did lost a friend in a crash, it was a helicopter but all the same to me. But I have had this fear before that and it was never this bad and I`m not sure if thats what stopping but I have an appointment to see a docter and maybe he can hook me up with some pills for on the plane and get my stoned out of my tree's for the whole trip : PBut seriously I'm going to try my best to fight this fear and step on that plane like I OWN THAT SHIT.......or I'll just sit down and try and relax."
Make sure you talk to your doctor about these fears and feelings and maybe he can direct you. If you have the support, go for it and strive to take on these fears. My nephew flew for the first time and he's 22, and it was no big deal... except for the landing, but now it's old hat for him. Anti-anxiety medication would work well in this situation, you're old enough for that I think.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By toowalrus
Claude said:
"Make sure you talk to your doctor about these fears and feelings and maybe he can direct you."
No, just get on a plane. Take a close friend with you, and have a good time. Take a half-hour local flight, maybe.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claude said:
"When you Bucketdeth said:
"Claude said:
Yeah I did lost a friend in a crash, it was a helicopter but all the same to me. But I have had this fear before that and it was never this bad and I`m not sure if thats what stopping but I have an appointment to see a docter and maybe he can hook me up with some pills for on the plane and get my stoned out of my tree's for the whole trip : PBut seriously I'm going to try my best to fight this fear and step on that plane like I OWN THAT SHIT.......or I'll just sit down and try and relax."
Make sure you talk to your doctor about these fears and feelings and maybe he can direct you. If you have the support, go for it and strive to take on these fears. My nephew flew for the first time and he's 22, and it was no big deal... except for the landing, but now it's hold hat for him. Anti-anxiety medication would work well in this situation, you're old enough for that I think."
Yeah I`m thinking about asking for anxiety medication which I had when I was 16 and I`m now 18, so I should be able to get it fairly easily.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TooWalrus said:
"Claude said:
"Make sure you talk to your doctor about these fears and feelings and maybe he can direct you."
No, just get on a plane. Take a close friend with you, and have a good time. Take a half-hour local flight, maybe."
The flight is 16 hours long, so this is one of those situations where if you think your going to have a panic attack in the middle of the flight, your fucked.
duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By duderbattalion

You just need to get this done once man. One flight and you'd have broken your fear for the rest of your life. Don't you think that's enough motivation to face your fear for a couple of hours ??!! And if your friend is with you .. all the better. Keep talking to him/her .. you'd be fine.

Don't miss out on the trip dude !! I'm sure it'd be awesome. Here's hoping you raise your level to 9000 and beat your fears :)
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude

You're not claustrophobic are you, my wife has never flown and will not get on an elevator, so a plane is out of the question for her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom2112 said:
"You just need to get this done once man. One flight and you'd have broken your fear for the rest of your life. Don't you think that's enough motivation to face your fear for a couple of hours ??!! And if your friend is with you .. all the better. Keep talking to him/her .. you'd be fine.

Don't miss out on the trip dude !! I'm sure it'd be awesome. Here's hoping you raise your level to 9000 and beat your fears :)
"
Thanks a lot man, I think you guys are helping me fight this fear more then anyone I talked to, I`m going to try my very best to get on that plane and relax and enjoy the ride, which is easy said then done, but I will try.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By toowalrus

Would it help if I said:

Flying is fucking AWESOME. Especially if you're going to Asia, look out over the waters and snow capped mountians... you're in a cloud, it's safe, it's peaceful, and the pretty waitress is bending over pouring you a Pepsi, and you can see down her top.

duderbattalion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By duderbattalion

LOL @ToolWalrus :P

yeah .. I had a trip planned for Korea and Japan this summer .. but had to cancel it :( There would be so much to explore once you start flying BucketDeth.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Claude said:
"You're not claustrophobic are you, my wife has never flown and will not get on an elevator, so a plane is out of the question for her."
Nope I`m not claustrophobic, I think the fear I have is that I can't control anything, once I step on that plane I know my fate is sealed in those pilots hands and if the engine suddenly fucks up there is not one thing I can do about it, I know these things are so rare to happen it's like a 1 in 2 million chance of actually happening but it's still stuck in my head.

TooWalrus said:
"Would it help if I said:Flying is fucking AWESOME. Especially if you're going to Asia, look out over the waters and snow capped mountians... you're in a cloud, it's safe, it's peaceful, and the pretty waitress is bending over pouring you a Pepsi, and you can see down her top."
Yeah I hear asia is a very nice place to look at from above and also most stewardess on planes has some nice assets to help me calm down ; )
but anything that will help me think positive and not thinking of dropping from the sky helps : )

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By toowalrus

...I only got to fly to Japan once. It was night, we landed at 3am. We crashed in the Tokyo airport and took off the next morning. Never even got to breathe the outside air. I've got to go back eventually.

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kashif1

As far as irrational fears go you could do worse.  My suggestion is to take a book or a game and use it to distract you.  Something else that may help (emphasis on may) is to do a bit of reasearch on planes and find out why they stay in the air.  it could help you to know exactly what is keeping you up in the sky

On another subject does anyone find it strange that you can write this stuff on giant bomb and get decent advise.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom2112 said:
yeah .. I had a trip planned for Korea and Japan this summer .. but had to cancel it :( There would be so much to explore once you start flying BucketDeth."
I know, I bet the view would be amazing, but the whole flight from what I hear is 16 hours of flying over the ocean haha.

TooWalrus said:
"...I only got to fly to Japan once. It was night, we landed at 3am. We crashed in the Tokyo airport and took off the next morning. Never even got to breathe the outside air. I've got to go back eventually."
Where were you headed?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Claude
kashif1 said:
"As far as irrational fears go you could do worse.  My suggestion is to take a book or a game and use it to distract you.  Something else that may help (emphasis on may) is to do a bit of reasearch on planes and find out why they stay in the air.  it could help you to know exactly what is keeping you up in the skyOn another subject does anyone find it strange that you can write this stuff on giant bomb and get decent advise."
Only when it's for real. We feel it... when it's real.
kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By kashif1
TooWalrus said:
"I only give serious advise sometimes."
true but its nearly impossible to give good advise to that thread
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By toowalrus
Bucketdeth said:
TooWalrus said:
"...I only got to fly to Japan once. It was night, we landed at 3am. We crashed in the Tokyo airport and took off the next morning. Never even got to breathe the outside air. I've got to go back eventually."
Where were you headed?"
New Zealand. I lived there for two years, when I was 14-16. Went to an all dudes school. Wore the uniform. Got with the ladies. Loved it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TooWalrus said:
"Bucketdeth said:
TooWalrus said:
Where were you headed?"
New Zealand. I lived there for two years, when I was 14-16. Went to an all dudes school. Wore the uniform. Got with the ladies. Loved it."
Wow that must have been a beautiful place, isn't that where they shot Lord Of The Rings? or am I being stupid.
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By toowalrus
Bucketdeth said:
"TooWalrus said:
"Bucketdeth said:
TooWalrus said:
Where were you headed?"
New Zealand. I lived there for two years, when I was 14-16. Went to an all dudes school. Wore the uniform. Got with the ladies. Loved it."
Wow that must have been a beautiful place, isn't that where they shot Lord Of The Rings? or am I being stupid."
Nah it totally is. There's this Hobbiton bus tour, you drive through these hills to the middle of fuckin nowhere, then you see these holes in the hills. They are the hobbit holes. You can walk right up to Bilbo's house, check out that giant party tree (it's still got streamers in it) and all that good stuff. I've got a book with directions to all of the filming locations, it's pretty cool.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TooWalrus said:
"Bucketdeth said:
"TooWalrus said:
"Bucketdeth said:
TooWalrus said:
Where were you headed?"
Wow that must have been a beautiful place, isn't that where they shot Lord Of The Rings? or am I being stupid."
Nah it totally is. There's this Hobbiton bus tour, you drive through these hills to the middle of fuckin nowhere, then you see these holes in the hills. They are the hobbit holes. You can walk right up to Bilbo's house, check out that giant party tree (it's still got streamers in it) and all that good stuff. I've got a book with directions to all of the filming locations, it's pretty cool."
Haha thats awesome, maybe I'll fly there someday after I stop being a bitch and take the tour.
destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By destro

No thats where they mostly shot LOTRs. You should know that the chance of a plane crashing today is 1 in a million or something ridiculous like that. It does make me worried that my life is in the hands of a computer and not so much a human (auto-pilot is always engaged on big airplanes,  the actual human pilot does very little flying really).

I dont trust computers, or AI. They malfunction and fuck up, plus they will never be able to make split second decisions as fast and logical as humans can.
I havent flown in a plane for a long time. I was only 6-7 when i first went on one and i enjoyed it from what i remember.

Just fly man. Fuck all that consouling shit, its a waste of money. Just take a deep breath and relax. Take some perks before you go on or smoke a joint or something, hahaha.

And if you crash, you crash. But if i knew the plane was going down i would probably open the door and jump. Because i would have fun for a couple of seconds flying through the air.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By toowalrus

Hey destro, have you checked that Flutter thread lately? I'll bump it if you haven't seen it.

destro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By destro
TooWalrus said:
"Hey destro, have you checked that Flutter thread lately? I'll bump it if you haven't seen it."
Haha yeah i just looked now....Whatever man, I'm usually high when I come on here so i dont really know what i type, and like i honestly care what any of you think.

Flutter is still shitty, and i didnt watch that video either.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By teh_destroyer

I understand your fear, I actually got to go on a plain trip from Georgia to New York for the first time a few years back.I was terrified of the flight, but flying in that plane with the sun setting was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.Don't be afraid of what might happen, but sit back and enjoy the view from your window, because its a wonderful sight.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Mercator

Take some sleeping pills, and a good 8 or so hours of that flight will disappear...your wallet might too, but at least no panic attack.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

teh_destroyer said:
"I understand your fear, I actually got to go on a plain trip from Georgia to New York for the first time a few years back.I was terrified of the flight, but flying in that plane with the sun setting was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen.Don't be afraid of what might happen, but sit back and enjoy the view from your window, because its a wonderful sight."
Yeah this is what I need to do, and hopefully it will go that way, I guess we'll just have to see.

Mercator said:
"Take some sleeping pills, and a good 8 or so hours of that flight will disappear...your wallet might too, but at least no panic attack. "
Don't worry I will be taking some type of pill for the flight, even if my last resort is rocket candy's, anything will help me.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Black_Raven

There has been a lot of shit on TV about planes crashing lately but they are extremely safe, the drive to the airport is much more dangerous.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black_Raven said:
"There has been a lot of shit on TV about planes crashing lately but they are extremely safe, the drive to the airport is much more dangerous."
Yeah I've heard that, and I know it is true, but there is something in my brain no matter what I do or say I still fear planes, it's very pychological but I think I can overcome it, if thousands of people fly on planes everyday, why can't I?
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By StarFoxA

Just bring your DS or PSP and distract yourself with that the entire time.

dethfish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By dethfish

I have flown dozens of times and I enjoy it. Sometimes when going on vacations I look forward to the plane ride more than the actual vacation. The only part that is stressful for me is the take off and landing.

The only advice I could give is try not sitting by the window (that's my favorite spot though) and take a game or book with you. If you can take your mind off the flight it will go faster than you think. Most of the time a plane ride seems smoother than a car ride so you might be able to trick yourself into thinking your sitting in a crowded room rather than on an airplane. Or maybe you could just take an mp3 player with 16+ hours of heavy music and just crank it up and bang your head all the way there. Neck would be sore though.

I am a great big pussy when it comes to spiders and I am never getting over that fear. You can't make me. I also have a pretty ridicilous fear of big amounts of people. I have anxiety attacks while going through crowded depatment stores. I don't know why.

KnightsofRound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#40  Edited By KnightsofRound

I have a bit of a fear of planes but it's nothing overly serious.

I have avoided vacations before though simply due to my dislike of airplanes so maybe it is a more serious issue than I think... I've never had a panic attack on a plane but I dread the thought of going on planes and generally feel extremely nervous when the plane is not 100% stable.

You just kinda have to bite the bullet and deal with it... I know that isn't the best advice but I try to look at it like we're all going to die some day anyway so what's the point of living your life in fear and never experiencing anything?  Especially when the odds of something actually going wrong are extremely slim.  The media overplays everything.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41  Edited By Optiow

My whole family is scared of flying, but I do not seem to be. I think that you should just go, becuase once you get in the air you will feel fine. And the 'accidents' are not very common, but I will not deny they do happen. But somtimes you just have to get over your fears, like I did with spiders (I got over it by letting one crawl all over me...it was horrible but I am not as scared anymore).