Finally got a Job!

christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By christ0phe

So yeahhh, just got a job.  Looks like I won't have to be looking into cardboard boxes for next year.  I'll tell you what, graduation seems so much better now that I know I won't be a bum.  And I don't start until September, so I have the summer free to work and do whatever.  Anyone else getting lucky?  I know it's tough out there.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By phish09

Yeah...I have a job.  I don't know it I'd consider it luck, but congrats on yours anyway.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By toowalrus

I got promoted, and my hours moved from 25/week to 40/week. It kinda sucks, but at least I'm getting some cash.

Avatar image for green_incarnate
Green_Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Green_Incarnate

Right now I kinda work as a TA. I'm graduating this semester, so hopefully I can find one soon.

TheBalticOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheBalticOne

Good luck, being a bum isn't fun. 
Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Congrats.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Grats. I have been looking for work for about 6 years now and I still can't find any. The best I got was 20 days last November cutting branches for Christmas decorations.

BigLemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By BigLemon
@christ0phe: thats great man, what kind of work is it?

I'm about to get laid off in May, but I might get lucky and keep my job. If not, it will hopefully just be for the summer.
Tally_Pants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Tally_Pants

Enjoy being a bum for the summer man! I finished college two yrs ago now. My first job was a 1 year contract (which ended at the end of June) and I didn't start my next job until the end of November (I currently have this job now, and it will be for years to come!). But last summer was an absolute blast! I dunno if you are close to the ocean or not, but I got to be a total beach bum all summer. I just went to the beach, played tennis and drank more beer than I could ever think to count! It was one last true summer before I officially had to "grow up"; I hope you make the most of it!

And congrats on the job! Its stressful trying to find a decent job!

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By Jeust

Congrats man!

awe_stuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By awe_stuck

Lots of crappy jobs in Canada. Wanna work at Wendys? Your dream just came true... Our government loves talking about new jobs every quarter - they are generally turn-over (seasonal placement like McDonalds, Wal-Mart)!

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Jadeskye
@christ0phe: congrats bro, it's a hard market out there, been unemployed myself longer than i'd like.
christ0phe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By christ0phe
@BigLemon: It's the Apple Store Leadership program.  It's a two year program where they teach you how the run Apple Stores, and prepare you for being transitioned to management.  It seems awesome, and I'm really excited.
Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming
@phish09:

It would be if you lived in my country....with a 20% unemployment rate....

Anyway, congrats.

duskvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By duskvamp

Well done :) I was looking for a while until I got my job. I hate it. But hey, its money.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By gexecuter

Congratulations! Strangely i also got  a job monday, i work in a seed factory, it's gonna last me for a month. I'm deciding wether to spend the money on an HDTV or an xbox 360, i'll probably go with the HDTV.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dude, I just accepted an offer of employment today too! I start in a couple weeks. Looking forward to having enough money to be able to actually, ya know, buy stuff. And maybe eating some meals that aren't peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or mac and cheese.

Levianth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Levianth
@gexecuter:  Woah, I got one Monday too. Is there some mystical moon alignment I missed?
gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gexecuter
@billnyethesciencepie: Yeah i should probably go with the Xbox but playing in a crappy SDTV doesn't sounds like much fun, maybe i'll change my mind.

@Levianth said:

" @gexecuter:  Woah, I got one Monday too. Is there some mystical moon alignment I missed? "

I can only hope so! More dudes getting jobs is always a good thing.
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nemt

Playing 360/PS3 on SDTV isn't so bad, I did it for a while.  It only sucks when games force 16:9 so you get black bars.
Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mahonay

Congratulations on the job!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#23  Edited By Hailinel

Congratulations!  I'm unemployed since being laid off last December, but I'm hopeful to have employment of my own again soon.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well congrats.

I was actually planning on making a topic with pretty much the same title yesterday. I had an interview for a pretty good job, found out the pay was 12k more than i expected, i was told that they really liked me and that i pretty much had the job...and then i didn't get it. Still, just getting that glimpse of hope after 4 months of rejections felt really good and rejuvenated my motivation to keep plugging away at the job hunting. I did get a call about a seasonal job at home depot, hopefully i'll be able to get that at least.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By Tireyo

Jobs are rewarding, yet robbing. Guess it's time for life, or lack of one! Depends if you like your job I guess.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Congratulations duder! I don't have a job right now but I'll be getting one this summer. I just hope I won't be scratching around looking for something for too long before I find a job.

rflx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By rflx

Congrats on the job!

Yup, I recently got a new job. 3D artist in the games industry. I would'nt call it 100% luck though. I'd say 50/50. I've worked quite a bit to get to a professional level in my trade, but also quite lucky to be at the right place at the right time, in regards to the recession.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Congratulations man, I hope you end up liking it too.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By iam3green

congrats on that. i am currently almost done with college. i'm going to have to look for a job. i don't know if i am going to get hired anywhere because you know there are crappy jobs out there.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By super_machine

Congrats. I already have a good job, but I just met a new special lady. So yeah, things are looking up for me too.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#31  Edited By MightyDuck

Congrats on getting a job!

It's very difficult finding a job in the current market depending on what your major is/was.

Th3_James

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Th3_James

I have a job, and am looking for a second job. I want more money.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By N7

I got a job at FedEx ground. In my second day of "training"(Which has been so far just watching videos and learning stuff). So far it doesn't seem bad. I just hate sitting in a goddamn uncomfortable chair for two hours to watch a video. I mean, it has been useful stuff, but the chair is more painful than the job will be.

It's weird. It's my first job and my opinion changes every time I think about it. One second, I'm so excited and I can't wait to go. Another second, oh man I'm quitting. It's so weird. I've never experienced anything like it before. The people there seem nice, and I'll be getting $10 an hour, but that's only for like two or three hours a night.

I don't know, I guess I'm just looking for a reason not to like it. And aside from how it's like 30 minutes away from where I live, I don't really have a reason to. In a way, I wish I would have applied for Walmart, as that's something that I just CAN'T mess up, but I feel like I'm going to mess up the first time I really get to try something. It's basically Tetris, and I'm good at Tetris.

Good luck in your job, I know I'm going to need it in mine. :D

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#34  Edited By JJWeatherman
@N7: Dude, if it were my job to play Tetris with big boxes, I'd effin rule.
N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By N7
@JJWeatherman:  That's all it is, really. I'll be loading and unloading trucks. In the loading side, all I'd have to do is fill the gap as tightly as I can, and I'm pretty good at Tetris. I can play pretty decently on level 15.

It's just that, in this thing, I'll be using normal boxes, small boxes, bags, sometimes tires and all sorts of awkwardly sized boxes. Personally, I think I can do it. In fact, I know I can. And tomorrow, I'm going to show FedEx that I'm the best at it.

Get ready world, here I come.
ReapersPuppy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ReapersPuppy

so happy for u..lucky mofo!
no1 will hire me..I seriously gota stop cursing/dancing or singing/an being so jittery in interviews =[
behh wish me luck..I needa get a job soon!!

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#37  Edited By elko84
@crusader8463 said:
" Grats. I have been looking for work for about 6 years now and I still can't find any. The best I got was 20 days last November cutting branches for Christmas decorations. "
You haven't found work in 6 years?  Good god, you must not be trying hard enough.  McDonalds will hire anyone dude.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By crusader8463
@elko84 said:
" @crusader8463 said:
" Grats. I have been looking for work for about 6 years now and I still can't find any. The best I got was 20 days last November cutting branches for Christmas decorations. "
You haven't found work in 6 years?  Good god, you must not be trying hard enough.  McDonalds will hire anyone dude. "
Not when you have a bad back and can't stand for longer then 15-20 min at a time.
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bobdaman18

Ok, ignore my previous post, i just got called and offered the job. Its a full time job for the county so the benefits should be good and the pay is better than expected. I start this monday, i'm so pumped. Good to see things going well from the giantbomb community.