Finding posts you made on the internet 10 years ago..

• 54 results
Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Has this happened to any of you? 10 years ago I was 13, and I just came across some forum posts I made at that time. And I gotta say, I've never wanted to punch myself in the face harder than I do right now.

"Just post to proove to some ppl, Yeah, this is too gamefaqs forum who after posting something their they think i'm lieing about this being me."

What does that even mean? How didn't I know basic grammar? What was I doing with my life?

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Ravelle

Most forums I was on 5-10 years ago already shut down sadly, I did look back on my posting history. Seeing my childish way of writing was laugh worthy.

I used to talk a lot with emoticons too, a lot of ^_^ >_> and T_T.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Damn you Internet for preserving everything!

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Internet nostalgia is a real thing. There have been more than a few nights over the years when I hopped on the nostalgia express and cruised through ancient post histories.

My favourite was the one where I got into an argument with a 60+ year old man about the merits of a piledriver in a real fight. Good times.

UlquioKani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By UlquioKani

I went back and found some posts on some pokemon forums I regularly visited 10 years ago. I found posts of me arguing about pokemon slash fiction and cringed so hard at the dumb things I was saying. I ended up sending an apology PM to one of the people I was arguing with who I found was still active on the forum.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

I was literally looking at 7 year old gamespot posts of mine yesterday. I saw one of them was in a thread by someone who was asking if DOTA would come out on PSP.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By turboman

I was in a online role playing wrestling federation where all of the wrestlers were Pokemon 15 years ago that I went back to and found recently. Those posts were pretty damn great/cringeworthy.

When I get back from work I'll try to remember to post some.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

Rare are the times when stumbling across a decade or older post of mine leads to anything but rediscovered humiliation. I was especially insufferable around '99/'03, a time when I decided that cultivating an "alter ego" called The Frolicking LLama (two capital Ls! How zany!) was a good idea. Think of every intolerable "s0 rAnD0m XD" kid you ever came across on the internet, amp up the hyperactivity to 11, and that was The Frolicking LLama. By '03 it was just sad, as I was 17 and still using this character more befitting a 13 year old. Thankfully, very little of my LLama ramblings remain outside of very specific Internet Archive searches. I kept the name for silly side projects and still break it out from time to time, but in a much more subdued form.

Thankfully, other dumb things I did like Huckle Chuckle, Popetoons, and Flying Lunch Lady Face have disappeared completely from what I can see. Madden Taco is still going strong, however.

Edit: Oh, good. The Whole Rolle is long gone.

white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was young. Oh, so young.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#10  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@beachthunder said:

Damn you Internet for preserving everything!

The Internet has barely preserved anything of the stuff I did back in the 90's :/ A couple of my old websites are still half-up, but most communities and forums I frequented are gone, and since most of them required log in before you could see the content, very few were preserved by Internet Archive.

I still have some IRC logs I archived myself back in the late 90's, but that's about it.

Well, I have saved all my browser bookmarks for the past 17 years too, so sometimes I go down the memory lane by trying some of those broken links in the Internet Archives' Wayback Machine.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#11 sgtsphynx  Moderator

I think everyone wants to punch their younger self at least once in their life. It is just a simple fact of life that as you grow older you (hopefully) become more open minded and view yourself as a fucking idiot when you were young.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a forum post but a email to the developers of Nova-Logic in which I asked if the servers for Tachyon: The Fringe could be put back online stating it was my favourite game. I also asked if there was a sequel along the way. I got a response back in which they appreciated the email but couldn't comply, instead directing me to their new and hottest shooter Delta-Force 2. If only they had known how hard it would have bombed.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a forum post but a email to the developers of Nova-Logic in which I asked if the servers for Tachyon: The Fringe could be put back online stating it was my favourite game. I also asked if there was a sequel along the way. I got a response back in which they appreciated the email but couldn't comply, instead directing me to their new and hottest shooter Delta-Force 2. If only they had known how hard it would have bombed.

I really enjoyed that demo of Tachyon that was included in one of their Delta-Force games.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By zombie2011

"I have been playing gears 2 since it came out. And i haven't had any problem with people glitching on me, using any exploits, and very few games have been laggy. The only problem i have is the matchmaking takes a while to find me a game, but lately even thats been getting better."

First internet post i ever made, over six years ago, on these forums. Topic was about an incoming patch for Gears 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes I look at a post of mine from a week ago and think "Dude, that guys is dumb" so don't sweat it.

Avatar image for militantfreudian
militantfreudian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By militantfreudian

I tried more than once to look up my old posts but to no avail. Back when I was 15, I used to write poetry about depression and suicide to impress girls in a way (somehow it used to work). I still have my chat logs from yahoo messenger and whenever I read them I feel like punching myself too. So not finding my old forum posts might not be such a bad thing after all.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I found some amazon reviews I made on an old account from around 10 years ago. They were about what you'd expect of a ten year old.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I try not to think about posts I made a month ago let alone a decade old. I actively avoid old forums and threads I was apart of because if I saw some of my old internet shit, I would cringe to hard, my body would contort into a twisted human ball of shame. Shit, I can barely look at my PSN name I made 7-8 years ago, THAT I STILL CAN'T FUCKING CHANGE FOR SOME REASON, without wanting to punch myself in the face. Goddammit, I though I was so cool and edgy. Fuck me.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#19  Edited By monkeyking1969

@ravelle said:

Most forums I was on 5-10 years ago already shut down sadly, I did look back on my posting history. Seeing my childish way of writing was laugh worthy.

I used to talk a lot with emoticons too, a lot of ^_^ >_> and T_T.

Yeah, some of the first game forums I was on, 20 years ago, are GONE....long gone.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By cornbredx

I was 22 10 years ago and often drunk so my grammar was shit. Plus I didn't really care about it at the time (being that I was often in combat zones and there were other things on my mind).

Other than that, though, I don't think I really wrote anything bad.

What I wish I could get is the web pages I made on AOL in the 90s. I wrote a choose your own adventure type book and made a website out of that and you clicked on the link of the page you want to go to and stuff.

I have no idea where it was, but it probably doesn't exist online anymore if I had to guess.

That's ok, though, I still have books I wrote when I was a teenager to see how bad my grammar was. And apparently how bad my logic was.

There's one book I wrote in 95 or something that I've considered selling as a joke (because it's so bad it's quite funny), but I don't know if anyone would get it or not. I don't know if ironic culture cares about books.

Feathered

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started playing Runescape in November of 09, so I was like 11 or 12 at the time. They save the in-game dialogue if somebody reports you for offensive language or spamming. Here's the first time I ever broke the rules in an MMO:

Raw Skull7 :[clan] poop
************ :[clan] This portal had been made by the Keeper Jasmine,
************ :[clan] a powerful mage, when she was young, trying to escape
************ :[clan] from her dad and sister who were trying to kill her...
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

This thread reminds me to try not to get in arguments with silly people on the internet. Because they might be kids.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Back when I first started posting on Gamespot with any degree of regularity ten years ago, I remember telling myself that I would make sure to read over my posts at least once and make sure I wrote everything grammatically correct. Even then I remember thinking how writing like an idiot was an easy way to have everyone write off your opinions, like I would often do when I saw posts like, "X game is da shiz bruther, fuk all you fuking haterz..." So I'd like to think that I was mostly okay. However if I did some digging I'm pretty sure that I could find some cringe worthy posts.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I had a warped opinion of the internet a decade ago, we were still on dial up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I can find facebook posts from only 6 years ago when I was 22 and still be just like "oh, buddy."

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Around two years ago I very purposefully logged into all of my old accounts on every website/forum I ever visited and deleted any evidence that I was once a teenager.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Around two years ago I very purposefully logged into all of my old accounts on every website/forum I ever visited and deleted any evidence that I was once a teenager.

I did that a few years ago too. Some of the forums were already down, and old Livejournals and Xangas had been deleted long ago because I hadn't logged into them in years. I kind of regret not making some sort of personal archive of late 90's/early 00's internet stuff, though. I have fond memories of the first few years of owning a computer and accessing the internet.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I kept some old internet drama saved on a laptop for "proof" of stuff in high school. I ran across it recently and boy, I'm glad I did.

Guess I should check Gamefaqs from 2000 and see how much of a smart ass I was.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am more impressed to see the Smashing Pumpkins forum I used to post heavily on is still online with the same layout as the early 00's and many of the same users. Kinda sad really.

Luckily I don't remember my password.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Akyho

Nah I do not need to go back to Megatokyo forums and be reminded what an actual hell hole is in social interaction.....also....I do not need to be reminded how stupid I was.

Everything else has been wiped out as far as I know. Only my current posts can get me into trouble now!

Cagliostro88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw records of some conversations i had on msn a decade ago when i was 16, and some screenshots of gchat in WoW: if i could punch my teenage self in the face through time i would in a heartbeat

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily I didn't post much (or at all) on the internet before I came here to Giant Bomb, though sometimes when I see my older posts here, I feel like I suck(ed) - hell, sometimes it happens right after I post too. Heh.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sinusoidal

Thankfully, the Internet did not exist when I was a child. Though, there's a bunch of junior high creative writing assignments in a box somewhere maybe in an attic that I hope never turn up again.

A mere ten years ago, I was already my current eloquent self.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Goodness me, I went back to an old forum I used to frequent 10(!) years ago. Fuck me. I was an obnoxiously lecherous teenager.

Dark days, my friends.

I'm still friends with a lady I met there though. So, it's not a total loss. But my, have we grown up.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Most (if not all) of my 10-year old posts are probably gone by now. The forum I frequented back then doesn't really save old stuff, just from 2009 and later. Thinking back to what I used to post about back then doesn't seem all that bad in my head, but I'm pretty sure I would be horrified if I read any of them. I could be a bit of an elitist when it came to movies and stuff, so I got into a few arguments with people who just wouldn't understand why you'd watch black and white Russian films.

Avatar image for planetfunksquad
planetfunksquad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only website I posted on that still exists is 4chan's /b/. I definitely said some stupid, awful shit on there, but the combination of anonymity and short thread-life means no-one can ever find it. I used to post on the forums of a punk band back in the day but it isn't archived, cos you needed to log in to see posts. I never have to know the depths of my teenage stupidity.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've had fun going back to stuff from 10-15 years ago. Some is cringe worthy but other stuff is surprisingly well thought out for a teenager. My biggest disappointment though is that a lot of the stuff from that era went away with the sites I was active on back then as they shut down. I think a recent highlight of one such moment was searching on an old username of mine and finding someone mentioning me in a discussion retrospectively saying they were shocked I was only 15 at the time since they had such in depth interesting discussions with me (apparently they were in their 30s at the time) and figured I was older than that. But it took a lot of google magic to even find all of the text that person had written and when I went on the site the results came from I never found the original text.

But while what they had written was flattering, what amazed me more was just that someone remembered some anonymous kid on the internet 15 years later. And the lesson there is simply that for all of internet's disposability, there are still other people on the other side of the screen at whom you're sending your words.

Damnit, now I'm down that internet hole again.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Bollard

Before I made a GB account there was only one other forum I got involved in, and it seems to have been wiped from the earth. That's what I get for spending my childhood in Habbo Hotel.

My posts on here only stretch back 5 years ago, and despite thinking hating on PlayStation and CoD was cool I seemed to write vaguely respectable posts. At least as far as grammar is concerned.

DopeToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have evidence, and I happy of that, but I have a vague memory of making some racist comments to some people on YouTube about how they should speak English instead of Spanish or something awful like that. I was twelve or thirteen, and have thankfully shed that part of myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think luckily for me the most humiliating shit I've ever posted was part of my first YouTube profile, which I deleted years ago. Not to say there aren't other horrifically cringe worthy things out there that I posted, but most of the really bad shit is long gone.

hanktherapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I was on Usenet from 2001 through 2008(?). Google Groups has archived many of my threads. I loved engaging the trolls and arguing with people. I was a dick. I have no desire to do that anymore.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I try and delete most of that crap, I hate reading shit I wrote forever ago.

MudMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I was already a teenager when the Internet became a thing, fortunately. Not fortunately because I didn't write stupid shit as a teenager, but because I'm pretty sure at some point circa 1998 we all agreed to take everything on the Internet up until then, set it on fire and never speak of it again.

1994 IRC Chats... *shudder*... Never again.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I look back in shame at things I said yesterday, let alone years ago.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By alwaysbebombing

Nightmarish to look back. Nightmarish

DevientArt, Anime forums. What was wrong with me.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

They make me cringe, I can't believe some of the shit I used to say. Those Gamespot days were some dark times... 12 year old me wasn't as smart or as cool as he thought he was.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luckily for me, most of the forums I used to frequent are gone now. For the ones that are still around, I doubt I would recognize my username on a thread, so I'm mostly safe from discovering any bullshit from my adolescence.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the comradery everyone is sharing over how much the younger you posts sucked.
Most of my stuff is so buried or gone it's not even worth attempting to find, but I know I had my fair share of crap.
I used to be one of those buttholes that would travel around gamefaqs abandoned game boards and post those stupid "I own this board now!" "Just visiting" "My travels have lead me to blah blah fucking uhg"

I used to have a YouTube account where I would go around and mess with people all day and act like a stupid shit head troll but thought I was being completely original by doing so.

Probably worst of all though, I had a LiveJournal, know what Facebook and MySpace Are/were for emotional teens these days? Oh boy, oh boy that LiveJournal. Just imagine the whiniest most emoticon usingest most uhhhg, maybe if I show my reeeeeeaaal paaaaain girls will like me...est type of posts imaginable.