GB's Folding@Home Team - Join us to help COVID-19 research!

• 198 results
Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

@nintendoeats: did that this morning and that did the trick. Won't be needing the latest drivers anymore now that the Steep Beta is finished.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Hmmm, interesting. But how will the puppets in the cutscenes look?

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb is about to overtake Eurogamer!

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@nintendoeats: I really want to get past MENSA. I'm not sure why I'm so giddy at that prospect, but I just like the idea that a video game website called "Giant Bomb" can hold one over on fucking MENSA of all groups.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirado: I was thinking the exact same thing. Unfortunately neither of these groups have much activity, so we haven't gotten to the really busy teams yet. I'm curious when that will happen.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

Just want to say that we made a 3 rank jump in a seemingly short period of time. 393 and rising. Active or not, I like jumping other teams. I don't think I'll ever pass you (@nintendoeats, @hobbz) so I'm gunning for that #3 rank on the team! Slowly but surely.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: My guess is the top 150 will be the real battle; we're the 125th most active team this week, so we've got some more to vault over before we hit a wall.

Just want to say that we made a 3 rank jump in a seemingly short period of time. 393 and rising. Active or not, I like jumping other teams. I don't think I'll ever pass you (@nintendoeats, @hobbz) so I'm gunning for that #3 rank on the team! Slowly but surely.

Doesn't seem like my schedule is going to allow me to do better than #4, given our averages, but I'll take it. :D

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, 125. a few months should get us there.

I've had a great deal of modelling and photoshop work to do so my numbers are down. Hopefully to be balanced out when I leave the province for christmas and leave my machine running for two weeks. Anyway, I've been doing this for 2 years so I do have a bit of a lead :p

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One million points on 23 WUs; with 10 of those not counting for bonus points, that makes a pretty hefty average. I'm doing the family tour this weekend so that means tons o' folding, but will probably slack off a bit during the week. Still, I'm gunning for the top five. :D

We jumped 6 spots today and 16 on the week; not bad for only 10ish active members.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice leap. I'm really happy to see the big jump the graph has taken. Our numbers are going up (woooooo!).

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By hobbz

Need more folks with idle GTX 10X0s to jump on!

Mine strangely stopped folding for a few days then I realized a Windows 10 insider update stealthily upgraded my NVIDIA drivers past 373.06 and broke FAH. I've sinced rolled them back (again) so I'm back to gaining steadily on @nintendoeats!

The latest NVIDIA drivers released this morning (376.09) do not fix this issue yet.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grr, that sucks. I'm not banking on them fixing the drivers any time soon. Fortunately the ones we have seem robust enough that this isn't a big deal for the time being.

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No fix in today's Game Ready driver from NVIDIA. Stay on 373.06 if you want to keep folding.

A comment from NVIDIA on the NVIDIA driver forum states that they have not identified the root cause of the issue but it is a top priority bug.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By nintendoeats

Well that's good to hear, I was starting to wonder if they cared at all. I think some other things have broken as well with the new drivers, so I suppose they can't just ignore the VERY IMPORTANT LIFE SAVING RESEARCH.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey duders! Don't think my Macbook Pro has much to offer, comparatively, but any help is better than no help - installing the app atm!

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snail: The more the merrier! Just keep in mind that with a laptop running the CPU at 100% it will need good cooling, so the fans will spool up a lot. If you normally have it on a desk and plugged in when you're not using it then it shouldn't be an issue, but I wouldn't just set it on carpet or your couch while it folds.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz: Jeebus, how are you pulling in 650 grand every day? My lead's days are numbered.

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: It's mostly from my GTX 1080, and really depends on how much I use my PC in a given day. Lately I've been getting 400k up to 1 million. I also added my old GTX 770 to my server/router and it gets about 130k a day (GPU-only).

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By nintendoeats

@hobbz: I am mad jealous. I alos think it's funny that your 770 pulls in more points than my old 7970.

Unfortunately for the last few I've been rendering things overnight and working on the things that need to render during the day. Or at least, I was supposed to be rendering last night but my computer had other ideas -_-. Point is, my numbers are down.

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: No problem, just burn $700 on an overkill video card! :)

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz: I may actually do that come summer. If I can convince my girlfriend that I need an i7, a 1080 and 3 mid-range 4K monitors. It's for school! (actually, it really is for school, but that's not funny).

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NVIDIA's latest driver (376.33) released today does not fix the folding issue. However, NVIDIA expects a hotfix within the next few days.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

This nvidia stuff is a bummer, I want to fold fold sometimes but still play titanfall 2 now and then but I can't. Looking forward to that fix.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is le dumb. Thanks for the update Hobbz. On the plus side, almost at 350!

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: Yeah, my Civ VI save has been sitting there waiting to be finished, but since the Civ VI update I need to use more recent drivers. I'm too lazy to constantly swap between old/new drivers. Oh well, there are other games to get caught up on.

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By hobbz

There's a hotfix driver (376.48) available from NVIDIA here that fixes the F@H failures with core_21 jobs. Recommend doing a custom installation and selecting "clean install."

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay! Unfortunately I'm out of town, but very happy to know that's there. Thanks!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By nintendoeats

Merry Christmas!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz: oh sweet! I updated drivers for W_D2 so I haven't been folding but now I can start climbing again!

jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't even realize Giant Bomb had a folding@home team. I'd been contributing to OverClockedRemix's team for a while, but since GB has a team, and I'm here more often than there, I'm making the switch, and taking my GTX1070 with me.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc4life: Welcome! That will make a huge difference. We are currently moving up a position on average every day and a bit, so a 1070 mshould hopefully put us up to one position a day until we get to the really serious teams.

Mendelson9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Didn't know Giant Bomb had a folding team. Added my computer. I don't know if my old machine can really help (i5 760 + HD 5870) but I'll run it for now.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mendelson9: Welcome to you also! The 5870 is probably not a huge earner compared to these beefy Nvidia cards (they fold better than ATi), but every bit helps.

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't know Giant Bomb had a folding team. Added my computer. I don't know if my old machine can really help (i5 760 + HD 5870) but I'll run it for now.

Every bit helps! Also, I finally reached that coveted #3 Rank, passing KBN with 11mil! My 980+4790k has been a champ through all this, going strong.

I've noticed our rank increase has started to slow down which means we're getting into the thick of it. We gotta crack that 200! This is where the real grind begins.

Has anyone else been having trouble with the Web Controller? It perpetually makes these weird boxes of circles, right now, for me.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashflood_29: Hmm, I use the advanced control, but when I open the web control nothing weird happens. Can you post a screenshot?

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@nintendoeats: It resolved shortly after I posted that but it had definitely been going on for a while, prior (at least a day).

@mirado: Keep climbing buddy! Get to that #4 spot!

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

New mainline NVIDIA drivers (378.49) are out. They're the first non-hotfix drivers that fix the F@H issues.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz: Awesome, that is very exciting news. About a problem that should never have existed :p

In other news, I am now in the top 2000! I need a 1080 damn it!

SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Congrats on the 100,000,000+ club! That's amazing. We're #305 now! It's slow going here but cracking the top 300 is going to feel good! If anybody else can hop in, anything helps. Each user accelerates our rise so much.

jayc4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had to disable my CPU from folding the other day. It's been causing my computer to emergency power down a lot because of temperatures getting too high (it's just got the stock cooler on), but it was easy enough to disable completely with the advanced control window. Still powering away with the GPU though.

And we've just passed the Penny Arcade team on the list. Take that!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're in the top 300 now! Also, @hobbz is over 100 million as well!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's kind of depressing that for the passed 5 days I've been using my computer for games and 3D work so much that I've acutally injured my right shoulder...and yet our graph looks pretty much the same...

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NO! @hobbz! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

hobbz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nintendoeats: Haha, I just noticed this post. Get one of them fancy new 1080 Ti cards!

Everyone here should now go out and buy a 1080 since they dropped the price after the 1080 Ti came out. :) We're up to team rank of 295!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hobbz: Unfortunately up here in Canada they still seem to be going for a grand after taxes. Still, perhaps when this term is over I will go 4k...or maybe I'll be vaguely responsible and not drop three thousand dollars on computer hardware that I don't need.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mwahahahaha. I am...still not going to catch up to @hobbz, but I am now running a nicely overclocked Hexa-core CPU, and that seems to have provided a nice little boost.

monotreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

I started folding a bit here and there again! My CPU won't get me much points but my GPU might. Also passkey gets you those bonus points for finishing early.

The tricky thing for me is figuring out good times when to leave my PC running and still get it enough time to finish the work. I could just use the "fold when idle" thing but I want to avoid it accidentally downloading new work when it's done if i go idle again when it's finished, I feel like that happened once at least.