Guys beats windows phone comp, MS says he loses "just because"

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By metal_mills
http://skattertech.com/2012/03/i-won-the-windows-phone-challenge-but-lost-just-because/

I headed down to the Santa Clara Microsoft Store this morning after hearing about the Windows Phone challenge last night. For those not familiar, anyone who completes a task faster than a Windows Phone on their own smart phone can win a $1000 Special Edition Laptop assuming they meet some standard terms and conditions. Those who “get smoked” by a Windows Phone, have the opportunity to trade in their existing device for Windows Phone.

After signing a waiver agreeing to let Microsoft use a photo of me in their advertising, I got in line for the challenge. I was using a  Samsung Galaxy Nexus which runs the latest Android operating system on the Verizon Wireless network. As requested, I shut down my phone and powered it on in front of an employee when it was my turn. (I’m assuming they don’t want anyone pre-launching any apps in advance.)

The Microsoft Store employee I was up against then explained the selected challenge. Her exact words were the following: “bring up the weather of two different cities.” The one who could do that first would win. I felt like I struck gold since I knew I already had two weather widgets on my home screen: one for my current location (San Jose, CA) and another for Berkeley, CA.

After a three-second count down, I hit the power button on my phone and said “DONE!” out loud. I had disabled the lock screen entirely, which is a rather awesome out-of-the-box feature of Android that takes you straight to the home screen with a single push of the power button. I didn’t even need to touch the screen, since the two weather widgets were already there.

My opponent finished a split-second later. She had two live tiles on her home screen displaying the weather of two different cities as well. Why does it take longer on Windows Phone? She had to perform two actions. First, she hit the power button to turn on the screen. Second, she had to swipe away the lock screen. That’s pretty much as fast as it gets on that platform. Windows Phone takes two interactions. Android takes just one.

I excitedly thought I won out of pure luck. However, I was quickly told that I lost. I asked for a reason and was told Windows Phone won because “it displays the weather right there.” That was rather unclear. I showed her my device which also was showing off the same information with two side-by-side weather widgets on the center home screen. After pressing for a better reason, I was told that Windows Phone won “just because.”

After trying to push for a real answer since I clearly won the contest by their rules, another Microsoft Store employee (possibly a manger) came by after noticing me asking more questions. Thinking on his feet, he quickly gave a ridiculous out-of-thin-air reason that I need to display the weather of different cities in different states and that “my phone could not do that”.

I calmly and politely tried pointing out that I was absolutely never told about having to show off two different states, but at this point I realized there was no point in even attempting to argue since the Microsoft Store employees clearly had no intention of even potentially discussing the possibility of considering me the winner.

I was then asked to snap a photo in front of a sign that read along the lines of “My Android was smoked by Windows Phone” before leaving the store.

I was quite excited to take the challenge, but left the Microsoft Store in distaste. I sure hope the purpose of this marketing ploy is to attract new customers by demonstrating the highlights of Windows Phone, not frustrating them instead. If anyone from Microsoft would like to have a rematch, I would be happy to smoke a Windows Phone with Android, again.

In short: MS holds competition that pits other smart phones against theirs. Guy beats the WP with his Galaxy note but they still refuse to accept it, make up some nonsense then say he lost "just because". Stay classy MS.
Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Humanity

While I do think that situation sounds dumb and the guy clearly should have won the challenge - I do have an issue with grouping this under a collective "Microsoft" label. Maybe it was just the management of that particular venue?

Either way, go figure, awesome business practices win over another happy customer.

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By hmmisee

"I was then asked to snap a photo in front of a sign that read along the lines of “My Android was smoked by Windows Phone” before leaving the store."

Should have flashed his cock

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By willin

So glad that me and the other six Windows Phone 7 users can say our phones are awesome at checking the weather...

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

Too bad they both lose when it comes to apps.

*Apple, you can send that check in the mail now*

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Funkydupe

I just want a flying car. God damn it all to hell with this fucking bullshit useless piece of crap technology.

Android Flying Car. I downloaded an app that made the seats massage my ass while I hover my favorite sky-store up in the clouds.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By TwoLines

Good stuff. I'm sure you gained many customers with that little stunt Microsoft. Who pitches those awful ideas? My god.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Funkydupe said:

I just want a flying car. God damn it all to hell with this fucking bullshit useless piece of crap technology.

Android Flying Car. I downloaded an app that made the seats massage my ass while I hover my favorite sky-store up in the clouds.

Uh, that would be nice.

But seriously I agree with you - who the fuck cares about stupid - nearly useless - apps for you phone. So what if one phone can check the weather faster than the other, they both get the fucking job done pretty quick.

Don't we have more pressing issues than phone apps? How about improving on the things that really matter.

InsidiousTuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By InsidiousTuna

Really hard to pin this store's actions on Microsoft as a whole. There are all sorts of retail establishments where staff are dicks. I've been in Apple stores where I've been treated like shit for requesting they take a look at a 2009-model Macbook Pro, and subsequently taken it to other stores and gotten thousands of dollars of free repair service. Again, hard to blame this store's jackassery on Microsoft the corporation. Staff at the Santa Clara Microsoft store are just shitty and capricious, apparently.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By metal_mills
@Enigma777 said:

Ok fastest to find 3 good apps aaaand go!

Apple: Done!
Android: ............ok done.
WP7: Erm.....hmm.......hmm....umm....
Judge: Just pick any 3
WP7: I'm trying! I haven't found 3.
Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Funkydupe

Yeah. The essence of this is that they both lose for having weather apps on their home screens.

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#12  Edited By Mnemoidian

From the sounds of things - it was supposed to be rigged, they just had the bad luck of finding the one person who had also (unintentionally, though) rigged their phone.

Awesome marketing.

Funkydupe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Funkydupe

@Mnemoidian: Yup. Its pretty sweet.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By selbie

He walked into a Microsoft Store and expected to outsmart a rigged competition to promote Windows Phone. Congrats.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Winternet

It's a marketing event. Not a real contest.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kindgineer

So, the only people who would care about this are people that need to find a more productive hobby? Hm, sounds intriguing.

/sarcasm.

amir90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17  Edited By amir90

That was a dumb challenge.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#18  Edited By Humanity

@Village_Guy said:

@Funkydupe said:

Uh, that would be nice.

But seriously I agree with you - who the fuck cares about stupid - nearly useless - apps for you phone. So what if one phone can check the weather faster than the other, they both get the fucking job done pretty quick.

Don't we have more pressing issues than phone apps? How about improving on the things that really matter.

Agreed, I'd ask we finally get the Twitter app the people really deserve!

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By N7

Reminds me of the time that Nigerian was supposed to send me $300,000,000.

I mean, he said he would, you guys!

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Elazul

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

Ok fastest to find 3 good apps aaaand go! Apple: Done! Android: ............ok done. WP7: Erm.....hmm.......hmm....umm.... Judge: Just pick any 3WP7: I'm trying! I haven't found 3.

Actually Windows Phone 7 now has more apps on it's marketplace than either iOS or Android did after 16 months, and they both launched with far less competition.

Also, I can get achievements while on the toilet. So, you know, take that.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By metal_mills
@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

Ok fastest to find 3 good apps aaaand go! Apple: Done! Android: ............ok done. WP7: Erm.....hmm.......hmm....umm.... Judge: Just pick any 3WP7: I'm trying! I haven't found 3.

Actually Windows Phone 7 now has more apps on it's marketplace than either iOS or Android did after 16 months, and they both launched with far less competition.

Yeah but WP7 launched late so they have to start running.
WalkerD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By WalkerD

I sincerely hope one of the higher ups at Microsoft is notified about this and something is done. What a bunch of piles of shit that work in that store.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#23  Edited By isomeri

I really like Windows Phone, but that sounds disgusting.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Elazul

@Metal_Mills said:

@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

Yeah but WP7 launched late so they have to start running.

I get that, but really what I was saying is that just because WP7 doesn't have as many apps as Android and iOS, it damn sure doesn't mean it has close to none. As well as some of the best games, it also has the best free Twitter app and far-and-away the best photo editor I've used on any mobile platform (yes, I've tried all three), as well as great versions of the other core apps you'd expect for your phone at this point (weather, Google Reader, Giant Bomb, etc.).

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

A pro woulda touched her on the shoulder just as the competition started.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By AndrewB

The house always wins.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

It has more filler apps.  It has less games, less browsers and less utilities.  And anyone can get achievements while on the toilet,  XBL isn't the only service with them.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

It has more filler apps. It has less games, less browsers and less utilities. And anyone can get achievements while on the toilet, XBL isn't the only service with them.

lol more filler apps *laughs* I love how your actually claiming apple doesn't have more of this or android...hell what the f*** is a filler app anyways? unless you mean useless apps then if thats the case both android and apple store have vastly more s*** useless apps since by simple process of logic they have more apps therefor will have more useless apps.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#29  Edited By LordAndrew
You can't beat Microsoft in an illegitimate competition. It was never intended to be won.
FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@LordAndrew said:

You can't beat Microsoft in an illegitimate competition. It was never intended to be won.

Exactly. It's a competition where one of the competitors gets to make the rules. No one could honestly have believed it would be fair. It's fairly obvious they picked something they believed no one would have on their home screen, and had no contingency plan if someone actually did. The response "it displays the weather right there" sounds like a scripted response to the question "How did you get the weather up so fast", which it sounds like they thought would be the only question they'd be asked.

If you read the terms and conditions, it says multiple times that Microsoft can pretty much decide whatever it wants and you can't do anything about it. Not to mention they straight up admit the contest is rigged to exploit their pre-installed apps and set-ups.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is like complaining that the house took all your chips at the blackjack table.

FlarePhoenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FlarePhoenix

@S0ndor said:

This is like complaining that the house took all your chips at the blackjack table.

How so? It seems more like getting 21 and the house taking all your chips claiming you had to get a 21 with an Ace and a Queen instead of the Ace and King you actually got it with.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Elazul

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

It has more filler apps. It has less games, less browsers and less utilities. And anyone can get achievements while on the toilet, XBL isn't the only service with them.

lol more filler apps *laughs* I love how your actually claiming apple doesn't have more of this or android...hell what the f*** is a filler app anyways? unless you mean useless apps then if thats the case both android and apple store have vastly more s*** useless apps since by simple process of logic they have more apps therefor will have more useless apps.

A thousand times this. First off, I was obviously referring to Xbox Live Achievements (the only ones that matter to me and a lot of other people) and secondly, there is no god damn way that WP7 has more filler apps than the malware-stuffed, open-sewer that is the Android marketplace.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#34  Edited By LordAndrew
@Elazul said:

@WilliamRLBaker said:

@SeriouslyNow said:

@Elazul said:

@Metal_Mills said:

@Enigma777 said:

A thousand times this. First off, I was obviously referring to Xbox Live Achievements (the only ones that matter to me and a lot of other people) and secondly, there is no god damn way that WP7 has more filler apps than the malware-stuffed, open-sewer that is the Android marketplace.

That reminds me, I need to check for book copyvio malware again. That shit never dies no matter how many times Google kills the accounts.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#35  Edited By mike

At this point, Microsoft almost has to give the dude his laptop, apologize, and then either end or severely modify the "contest." This is costing them huge in terms in negative PR, Microsoft needs to bury this story and fast.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jams

@FlarePhoenix said:

@S0ndor said:

How so? It seems more like getting 21 and the house taking all your chips claiming you had to get a 21 with an Ace and a Queen instead of the Ace and King you actually got it with.

That's exactly what it is. He should have looked over that paper he signed, complained some more, then if they don't budge, either call a lawyer right there or a news station. Or pretend to... A local news station would probably jump all over this.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Vexxan

Weather apps sure is the best way to compare phones.

Avatar image for deathstriker666
deathstriker666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By deathstriker666

Wow, I'm more surprised by how brazen they are. Naming competitors and gloating about it. "Our Windows phone SMOKED your phone! Now here's a Windows phone, we'll happily throw your other phone in the trash!"

I didn't think Microsoft was that desperate

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#39  Edited By sammo21

I think Windows phones suck, personally. My friend has one but he only seems excited for development reasons and not really anything the phone itself can do. I also hate the Metro look and I think the UI on the phone is kind of terrible.

@Elazul: After this long I would hope so. The other two were the pioneers so the person coming in 3rd after being given all the opportunities in the world should at least be at base level.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TruthTellah

@MB said:

At this point, Microsoft almost has to give the dude his laptop, apologize, and then either end or severely modify the "contest." This is costing them huge in terms in negative PR, Microsoft needs to bury this story and fast.

You know, I would -think- they might just give the laptop and be done with it, but I doubt it. I mean, just think of the Sony Vita Taco Bell scam. They advertised giving away tons of Vitas, had thousands of people who input codes and were told they were winners, and then said that basically no one won but people should still buy Taco Bell Vita boxes. That was systematic and horrible, but Sony and Taco Bell just rode the storm out until people moved on to the next thing that pissed them off.

Giefcookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Giefcookie

I'm so glad I'm still using a 50€ phone, mainly as an alarm clock.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#42  Edited By mike

@TruthTellah: That's not really what happened with the Vita contest at all. Around 300 people got false-positives when they redeemed their Unlock the Box codes online, but 5,000 people did win Vitas just like Taco Bell said they would. I know of at least three people on GB who were among the winners.

pw2566ch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By pw2566ch

@TruthTellah said:

@MB said:

You know, I would -think- they might just give the laptop and be done with it, but I doubt it. I mean, just think of the Sony Vita Taco Bell scam. They advertised giving away tons of Vitas, had thousands of people who input codes and were told they were winners, and then said that basically no one won but people should still buy Taco Bell Vita boxes. That was systematic and horrible, but Sony and Taco Bell just rode the storm out until people moved on to the next thing that pissed them off.

Wait. That Sony Vita Taco Bell scam actually happened? Do you have a source?

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TruthTellah

@MB: Oh? Well, that's good to hear! I suppose most news outlets just stopped at the "Customers real pissed!" and didn't follow up with the eventual results. Thanks!

: I apparently had old info. MB updated me on it. I suppose it worked out better than reported(as with a lot of stories, frankly). :D