Have you ever fired a real gun before in real life?

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By wefwefasdf

Yeah, I've fired a few. Target shooting can be a lot of fun.

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

Pretty much everyone in my family owns at least a gun except me not because I think guns are bad or anything, it's just that I don't have the money to buy a gun and ammo. I've also only ever fired my dad's pistol at a shooting range.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By Sanity

Yea, i own like 15.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:

I'm considering getting a little detective special or something to mess around with. Can't really explain why.

What is this exactly? Do you mean like a Derringer snub nose?

And yes I have fired guns. I love guns. Though I think that people can be really dumb with them.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#105  Edited By toowalrus

@BillyTheKid said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm considering getting a little detective special or something to mess around with. Can't really explain why.

And yes I have fired guns. I love guns. Though I think that people can be really dumb with them.

I'm actually more interested in the Colt Detective Special in the 3-inch barrel configuration (which is apparently kinda rare). Like I said, there's no real reason other than I think they look cool.

No Caption Provided
MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MezZa

Yep I do some target practice with a few different pistols and rifles at a friends place in the country every now and then.

ShockD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By ShockD
@dudy80 said:

Yea, i own like 15.

Please don't raid a kinder garden.
Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Sanity

@ShockD said:

@dudy80 said:

Yea, i own like 15.

Please don't raid a kinder garden.

Huh, just because someone owns and collects firearms dont mean there crazy.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By TwoOneFive

@Canteu said:

I'm English and not a hick or a member of the so called "upper class".

So no, and nor do I have any intention to. Guns are fucking retarded.

wow you're so above us.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@Hailinel said:

I've fired a low-caliber rifle at a turkey shoot when I was a kid, but other than that, nope.

This and an over/under shotgun for clay pigeon shooting when I was 13 or so.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By TwoOneFive

I have a M4 and a M9, and I have shot just about everything- but my favorite thing to use to fire weapons is my radio- with which I can put 30mm rounds and 2,000lb bombs on targets

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#112  Edited By EpicSteve

It's just a human experience everyone needs to have. I'm in the school of thought boys in particular need to be taught weapons safety and functions by their father. It's just an obligatory part of growing up. I've never hunted though.

Thinking of this, i've probably fired about 20 weapons. Rifles, Snipers, explosives, handguns, and so on, I've never fired a goddamn shotgun!!!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#113  Edited By Giantstalker
The Answer Is Yes.
The Answer Is Yes.

EDIT: It's a Canadian M777A2, for those who're interested. I've fired loads of guns and currently own several, but this is the only one so far which has really mattered

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By TwoOneFive

@Giantstalker said:

The Answer Is Yes.
The Answer Is Yes.

nice, you still in or no? 13f?

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By EpicSteve

@McGhee said:

@Canteu said:

@MariachiMacabre: What was fast exactly? The part where i mention which members of British society often have guns, or the part where I said guns are retarded?

Every single thread that mentions guns has that one person saying "I'm British and guns are dumb." It's becoming its own meme. You should change it up like, "I'm British and we love our knife crime."

"Knife Crime" is my new electronic band.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By TwoOneFive

@EpicSteve said:

It's just a human experience everyone needs to have. I'm in the school of thought boys in particular need to be taught weapons safety and functions by their father. It's just an obligatory part of growing up. I've never hunted though.

i agree, that and getting into at least one decent fight growing up or a tleast being on a wrestling team (i never was but its close enough) is something I would consider important in growing up. ya never know what kind of situation you could find yourself in one day and you don't want to be that guy...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By toowalrus

@EpicSteve said:

I'm in the school of thought boys in particular need to be taught weapons safety and functions by their father. It's just an obligatory part of growing up.

Yeah... unless your dad died of cancer when you were seven. Honestly, there are a thousand things I wish I could have done with my dad, and firing a gun is just about at the bottom of the list. I just don't see... the point.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#118  Edited By Giantstalker

@TwoOneFive: Well in Canada it's 00008, but yeah, non commissioned artillery

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By EpicSteve

@TooWalrus said:

@EpicSteve said:

I'm in the school of thought boys in particular need to be taught weapons safety and functions by their father. It's just an obligatory part of growing up.

Yeah... unless your dad died of cancer when you were seven. Honestly, there are a thousand things I wish I could have done with my dad, and firing a gun is just about at the bottom of the list. I just don't see... the point.

Well that's terrible. Of course that isn't the most important thing. But it's on the same list as throwing a baseball, riding a bike, and fishing. Nothing actually having strict importance with being a human being, but part of the experience. I unfortunately didn't have a dad that taught me to shoot. I had to wait till Army basic training to learn. But now I have romantic ideas of training my non-existent son with safe use of weapons.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Grimhild

@RawknRo11a said:

I own several guns. I enjoy going to the gun range, and some are for home and personal defense.

There is nothing wrong with guns, as long as people are educated and responsible (I know, good luck)...

and also for the engineering and historical aspects of different firearms, not unlike cars.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By PillClinton

Yes, did some skeet shooting once on a family vacation at a ranch in Colorado. That's about it.

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Never have and hopefully never will.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By audiosnow

Note to self: during the next gun control debate, half of the opinions will be voiced from ignorance.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#124  Edited By golguin

@mlarrabee said:

Note to self: during the next gun control debate, half of the opinions will be voiced from ignorance.

I'm always on the side of controlling guns as much as possible, but I've gone to the gun range. I'd like to fire more high powered stuff, but I don't have the money to buy/rent the weapons and ammo to do it.

People don't really have an issue with guns at the gun range or hunting. We have an issue with guns being used to commit crimes and the ease with which those crimes are committed because of the availability of guns, certain types of guns, magazine size, etc.

I don't think you realize how many people that are on the side of gun control have used guns and/or own them.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#125  Edited By SathingtonWaltz

@EpicSteve said:

@TooWalrus said:

@EpicSteve said:

Well that's terrible. Of course that isn't the most important thing. But it's on the same list as throwing a baseball, riding a bike, and fishing. Nothing actually having strict importance with being a human being, but part of the experience. I unfortunately didn't have a dad that taught me to shoot. I had to wait till Army basic training to learn. But now I have romantic ideas of training my non-existent son with safe use of weapons.

I think it's very important to educate ones children (as I have) with the safe and responsible use of firearms. It really gives children a much needed respect for weapons.

RawknRo11a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#126  Edited By RawknRo11a

@Grimhild: true, really enjoy seeing how firearms have evolved over the years. Not to mention knowing how they do what they do

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By FluxWaveZ

No, and I really don't see the need to.

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#128  Edited By BigBoss1911

Ya

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#129  Edited By stonyman65

I've been shooting IPSC competition for a few years now. There was a time (when ammo was cheap before the Obama scare of 2008) that I would shoot every week, probably about 1,000 rounds a month.

Now that ammo is pretty much impossible to find and what you do find is like $30 a box for 50 rounds, I haven't shot any gun in about a year now. It's just too expensive.

Luckily, I got about 100 rounds of ammo for Christmas so I'm taking my mom with me to the range tomorrow so we can tear up some zombie targets.

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EpicSteve

@Stonyman65 said:

I've been shooting IPSC competition for a few years now. There was a time (when ammo was cheap before the Obama scare of 2008) that I would shoot every week, probably about 1,000 rounds a month.

Now that ammo is pretty much impossible to find and what you do find is like $30 a box for 50 rounds, I haven't shot any gun in about a year now. It's just too expensive.

Luckily, I got about 100 rounds of ammo for Christmas so I'm taking my mom with me to the range tomorrow so we can tear up some zombie targets.

I've been wanting to build an M4 and just refuse to pony up the cash now. Walmart has that new rule saying folks can't buy more than 3 boxes of ammo at once. Try that?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By stonyman65

@GrantHeaslip said:

Nope, and I’m not really interested in it. If I were given an opportunity, I might try out of curiosity.

I’ve had it explained to me, but I suspect many people watch movies and video games and think guns are way more accurate and controllable than they really are. In that sense, shooting a gun is probably valuable in that it would help you better understand them.

True. Shooting is not as easy as most people think it is. sight alignment, breath control, trigger control.... You basically have to turn your upper body into a rock. Even the slightest little twitch can send a round off target. It might only go off an inch or two at a few feet, but if you are shooting at longer distances (say, 100 meters or so) that little twitch in your hand can send a shot off by a few feet and miss the entire target altogether.

I remember when I was being taught to shoot a rifle the instructor was teaching us how to shoot between heartbeats so it wouldn't disturb our aim.

When you really get down to it, it's some crazy stuff. It isn't just as easy as "point the gun, pull the trigger" - there is a whole science behind it. It takes years - decades even, to really know what you are doing.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By audiosnow

@golguin said:

@mlarrabee said:

I'm always on the side of controlling guns as much as possible, but I've gone to the gun range. I'd like to fire more high powered stuff, but I don't have the money to buy/rent the weapons and ammo to do it.

People don't really have an issue with guns at the gun range or hunting. We have an issue with guns being used to commit crimes and the ease with which those crimes are committed because of the availability of guns, certain types of guns, magazine size, etc.

I don't think you realize how many people that are on the side of gun control have used guns and/or own them.

If you've handled guns then you're more informed than (now merely) 36.1 percent of those whom I'm certain participate in gun control discussions. I made no judgement on anyone's position on gun control. I only believe that, whatever one's position, one should be informed, at least regarding the physical weapon, as you've chosen to be.

If one has never handled a gun, and more importantly if one has no hard statistical data, one shouldn't presume to have an opinion in either direction.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By stonyman65

@TooWalrus said:

@BillyTheKid said:

@TooWalrus said:

I'm actually more interested in the Colt Detective Special in the 3-inch barrel configuration (which is apparently kinda rare). Like I said, there's no real reason other than I think they look cool.

No Caption Provided

Good luck finding one of those. The last one I saw at a gun show was going for like $2,000. Those are SUPER rare these days.

Honestly, your probably better off going with a Smith and Wesson 3"in 686. Pretty much the same gun.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_781514_-1_757767_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By stonyman65

@EpicSteve said:

@Stonyman65 said:

I've been wanting to build an M4 and just refuse to pony up the cash now. Walmart has that new rule saying folks can't buy more than 3 boxes of ammo at once. Try that?

Yup. We can't even FIND ammo at our local Walmart. It's sold out the second it hits the shelves. I've got to by my stuff from pretty much anywhere I can find it these days.

I shoot .45 too, so it's like $15-$30 a box now. I should have bought a damn 9mm. It's like half the price. (assuming you can find the ammo)

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Canteu

@timlump: you should read the rest of my posts. I'm going to bed now. Nighty night.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By medacris

Not unless a paintball gun counts.

They're expensive (to buy the gun itself, to buy ammo, for upkeep and a place to store it...), and I don't plan to go hunting/don't live in an area where I could go hunting. I'd only ever buy one if I felt the need to defend myself, or if I felt I was at risk of being attacked, but hopefully that'll never happen.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By penguindust

I'm an American living in the south...of course, I've fired a gun. Only target shooting though since I have no actual desire to kill anything, but target shooting can be a fun recreational pastime. It can be a bit expensive though, so it's not something I plan to take up on a regular basis anytime soon. Guns aren't playthings though and holding one, you become very aware of its dangerous potential. Education is paramount to gun safety.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By PixelPrinny

Does a bow and arrow count? I've used one of those before! And by used I mean "Attempted to use properly". I wasn't very good, though; kind of pitiful, actually. I should have joined archery club in my youth. That woulda been cool. But my parents were all like, "That's a big N-O, hun. Now go back to your other sports. Or why not go fall off the trampoline and onto your head, again, instead?" Sheesh, parents! Well, I never actually vocally asked if I could join archery club, but they should have known telepathically! Parents are supposed to be able to know those sorts of things instinctively... right?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#140  Edited By kindgineer

No, but I've played Call of Duty so, technically yes?

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141  Edited By vaiz

Several times. Was fun.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

No, but I've always wanted to go shooting. Looks like a great adrenaline rush.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d4cf64585b7
deactivated-57d4cf64585b7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TooWalrus said:

@BillyTheKid said:

@TooWalrus said:

No Caption Provided

Ahh, yes those things are really rare they run you around 2k typically. But you are getting one of colt's finest in my opinion, though all their guns are great. Hell if you can track one down film you shooting! I love the look and sound of that gun, and the feel is also nice in the hand.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Tarsier

@MariachiMacabre said:

@Canteu

So no, and nor do I have any intention to. Guns are fucking retarded.

Oh man, that was FAST.

lol what a guy

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By habster3

@Canteu said:

Well, that certainly wasn't pretentious of you.

@Canteu said:

@MariachiMacabre: Stooping to the level of somebody who doesn't like things that serve no purpose other than to maim or kill.

You do realize that although the original purpose of the weapon was a means of defense, a lot of people only engage in target (read: inanimate objects) shooting, right? In fact, target shooting contests are fairly common in countries where guns are legal.

To the OP's question, I have fired a gun before on rare occasions (I haven't fired a round in two years, and who knows how long before that.) However, I've never shot a gun for a reason other than target shooting.

TheUnsavedHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By TheUnsavedHero

As many games as I play with guns in them, I've never fired a real gun. I really don't have any desire or reason too. Until someone makes a real life Plasma Cutter, I will continue to not care about firearms.

BoFooQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By BoFooQ

I'm American, so of course.

I recall a wonderful fourth of July several years ago where friends and I were drunk and shootting random stuff while camping.

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Canteu

@habster3: Hey, I do actually realise that! That doesn't change the object's purpose. Guns are still retarded. No amount of condescension will change that.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By super_machine

Yes, and I own a PX4 Storm.

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Dezztroy
@EpicSteve said:
Thinking of this, i've probably fired about 20 weapons. Rifles, Snipers, explosives, handguns, and so on, I've never fired a goddamn shotgun!!!
Shotguns are great. Few things are more satisfying than a pump action.

Ammo costs a fortune though.