• 63 results
alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#2  Edited By alistercat

All I know is 98% of those who would criticise him on a quote taken out of context from his book are not even nearly intelligent enough to have a conversation with him. I know I'm not.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

You know, we are never going to find out how the universe was started.   

I don't get why people get paid to find out.  

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By azrailx

thats ur problem...

Avatar image for deactivated-6204297b0c601
deactivated-6204297b0c601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

It's certainly nice of him to come out and say it so frankly, but this isn't exactly a new claim.  We haven't need to invoke gods to explain the universe since before Democritus.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

If that book isn't too far above my head, I would love to read it.   

DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DoctorWelch

First of all, why is this news? Why is this worth an article? A scientist saying that the universe was made without the intervention of God? NO WAY! C'mon people, really? I agree with KaosAngel. People act like they know what happened however many years ago...no you fucking dont. I dont care what method you used to acquire the data, 1000 years from now, everything your going to be saying will be wrong anyway because scientists will have another "AMAZING BREAKTHROUGH", and everything we thought we knew will be wrong. I also dont care if you believe the Bible is true, thats why its called faith, you dont know for sure. It all just makes me laugh. Sometimes I just want to punch the stupid people that try to defend Christianity in the face, and then I also want to punch all of the stupid people that try to prove everything with "science" in the face.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I'm gonna stay out of this before I say something stupid and offend a lot of people. I played too much Mortal Kombat as a child.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude

Individuals think they have the answer which grows into groups. These groups grow up and think they know the answers. Science is the true answer, because all it does is ask questions. A world without religion would be a better place, but human beings are too dumb right now. They need that leash, otherwise, they would destroy each other. Maybe that wouldn't be a bad thing, survival of the fittest and all. Let the human spirit be free, I'll be damned if religion holds my spirit back.

No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Claude: So your saying people who are religious are dumb?
DXmagma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DXmagma

uh huh. i fucking hate internet news sites who use headlines to antagonize quotes.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#12  Edited By Claude
@No0b0rAmA said:

" @Claude: So your saying people who are religious are dumb? "

I have issues. But I'm mostly talking about masses of people. There again, I have issues with organized religions.
Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan
@DoctorWelch said:
"First of all, why is this news? Why is this worth an article? A scientist saying that the universe was made without the intervention of God? NO WAY! C'mon people, really? I agree with KaosAngel. People act like they know what happened however many years ago...no you fucking dont. I dont care what method you used to acquire the data, 1000 years from now, everything your going to be saying will be wrong anyway because scientists will have another "AMAZING BREAKTHROUGH", and everything we thought we knew will be wrong. I also dont care if you believe the Bible is true, thats why its called faith, you dont know for sure. It all just makes me laugh. Sometimes I just want to punch the stupid people that try to defend Christianity in the face, and then I also want to punch all of the stupid people that try to prove everything with "science" in the face. "

We have a winner here folks!
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By TheHBK
@DoctorWelch:
"I agree with KaosAngel" 

That's where you lost me.  I pity you sir.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller
@No0b0rAmA said:
Duh.
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By BraveToaster

I think we should calm down. 

• No one can prove that God exists. It's based on faith and fear.
  • If there is a God then no one can prove that he's always existed. We are all taught that everything has a beginning and end.
  • We have no proof that the Big Bang was the source of creation.
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ArchScabby

If god created the universe, what created god blah blah blah.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I'm gonna sit this debate out.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By natetodamax

I feel that humanity as a whole should focus on the present time and the future. The past is the past. How we got here is irrelevant. What matters is where we're heading.

lazyturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By lazyturtle
@Axxol: Just to point out, but really Big Bang theory only seeks to explain the universe as it is right now. It does not attempt to describe how the exploding singularity came to be. So even if somehow we could prove the Big Bang happened, the next question would be: Where did all the stuff that exploded come from? Beginings and endings are in the eye of the beholder. Did the universe begin with the big bang? What was there before god created the heavens and earth? Etc.
Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

I keep forgetting that Hawkings was british.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheGreatGuero said:
" I'm gonna stay out of this before I say something stupid and offend a lot of people. I played too much Mortal Kombat as a child. "
See, this is why I like you so much. 
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BraveToaster
@lazyturtle said:
" @Axxol: Just to point out, but really Big Bang theory only seeks to explain the universe as it is right now. It does not attempt to describe how the exploding singularity came to be. So even if somehow we could prove the Big Bang happened, the next question would be: Where did all the stuff that exploded come from?   
Obviously.  

You can also say where the hell did God come from. Attempting to explain that an all powerful being was chilling in space and created the universe is just as hard as explaining the origin of the "exploding stuff".
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DoctorWelch
@ChristOnIce said:
" @KaosAngel:@DoctorWelch:   Yeah.  To hell with facts, evidence, proof, and intelligence.  Fuckwit mouth-breathers unite!   
My point exactly. How about I just come into this forum topic, and act like I'm smart by saying "To hell with facts, evidence, blah blah blah" which anyone could say to support anything ever and make themselves seem intelligent. If you actually understood anything about science, you would know what the word theory means. You would also understand that there is a difference between actual fact, and what is perceived as fact. Then you wouldn't make such stupid unintelligent comments. There are some brilliant people that have done some brilliant things when it comes to science, but for some reason everyone likes to think that we somehow already know everything there is to know, and that there is no way what we think is true today could ever be proved false tomorrow and vice-versa.
 @People who understand the article  It's news partially to promote the book.  Largely, though, it's because the media, and culture, has misunderstood his previous comments.  He used a turn of phrase mentioning a god, and he referenced a version of Spinoza's god.  People have long taken this to mean that he believes.  Just like Einstein, and other popular scientists, people kept co-opting him for fallacious arguments.  Hopefully this succeeds on both fronts. "
I read the whole thing and understood the whole thing, it's just pointless. Who cares? The only thing worth reading is the title "Hawking says God's not needed. So?" and to that I say "So what, who cares?" There are plenty of other things that Hawking has said. He said that aliens are indeed out there, so I guess it must be true because he said it right? Obviously the answer is no. Yes, he is a brilliant man, but he doesnt know everything, or even close to everything. Just because he says something in a book (or even as you seem to be suggesting what he has said has been twisted to mean something else) doesnt mean anything to me. This is the perfect example of the media talking about things that are really not worth any attention.
adam_grif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By adam_grif

Every news site on the planet has taken one out of context quote and then acted like that was his argument. Nothing to see here, move along. I'm sure the book will speak for itself when it is published, but until then, there's no point discussing it.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ryanwho

Hawking says a lot of stuff that doesn't relate to theoretical physics. He's a bit of a troll these days. Being paralyzed must get boring.

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By tunaburn
@DoctorWelch said:
" @ChristOnIce said:
" @KaosAngel:@DoctorWelch:   Yeah.  To hell with facts, evidence, proof, and intelligence.  Fuckwit mouth-breathers unite!   
My point exactly. How about I just come into this forum topic, and act like I'm smart by saying "To hell with facts, evidence, blah blah blah" which anyone could say to support anything ever and make themselves seem intelligent. If you actually understood anything about science, you would know what the word theory means. You would also understand that there is a difference between actual fact, and what is perceived as fact. Then you wouldn't make such stupid unintelligent comments. There are some brilliant people that have done some brilliant things when it comes to science, but for some reason everyone likes to think that we somehow already know everything there is to know, and that there is no way what we think is true today could ever be proved false tomorrow and vice-versa.
 @People who understand the article  It's news partially to promote the book.  Largely, though, it's because the media, and culture, has misunderstood his previous comments.  He used a turn of phrase mentioning a god, and he referenced a version of Spinoza's god.  People have long taken this to mean that he believes.  Just like Einstein, and other popular scientists, people kept co-opting him for fallacious arguments.  Hopefully this succeeds on both fronts. "

I read the whole thing and understood the whole thing, it's just pointless. Who cares? The only thing worth reading is the title "Hawking says God's not needed. So?" and to that I say "So what, who cares?" 

There are plenty of other things that Hawking has said. He said that aliens are indeed out there, so I guess it must be true because he said it right? Obviously the answer is no.

Yes, he is a brilliant man, but he doesnt know everything, or even close to everything. Just because he says something in a book (or even as you seem to be suggesting what he has said has been twisted to mean something else) doesnt mean anything to me. This is the perfect example of the media talking about things that are really not worth any attention. "

actually scientists and i personally agree that there has to be life on another planet somehwere. there are an infinite number of them. how could no other planet have any life anywhere? ohhhh... thats right, god made us and of course god doesnt have any toys on any other planet anywhere else. i mean why would he right? hes busy with this one of course.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ryanwho
@tunaburn: But you understand, there's no proof of alien life just like there's no proof of god. You can't point to something and go "there, alien life". Until you can, your wishful thoughts aren't any more logical than anyone elses.
shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shiftymagician
@tunaburn said:
actually scientists and i personally agree that there has to be life on another planet somehwere. there are an infinite number of them. how could no other planet have any life anywhere? ohhhh... thats right, god made us and of course god doesnt have any toys on any other planet anywhere else. i mean why would he right? hes busy with this one of course. "
I do not agree that there "has" to be life on another planet, but I do agree when someone says that there "could be".  We will not know for sure until humanity is capable of some form of space exploration or long-range space scanning of some kind, but nothing can be ruled out either.
Avatar image for metalgeargeorge
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MetalGearGeorge

Hawking doesn't perceive god as a deity like christians or muslims or whatever. He refers to god as the cause of the creation of the universe. What i don't understand is why everytime a scientist refers remotely to god all the people that make money by saying to people that god actually exists try to discredit him.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
@MetalGearGeorge said:
" Hawking doesn't perceive as a deity like christians or muslims or whatever. He refers to god as the cause of the creation of the universe. What i don't understand is why everytime a scientist refers remotely to god all the people that make money by saying to people that god actually exists try to discredit him. "
Discredit is one word. He's making claims he thinks are logical that are fundamentally philosophical. "God doesn't need to exist" is his logical conclusion for the universe, and its not even saying "god can't exist" but fundamentally any religious person would argue god does need to exist for their lives to have meaning. That's the rub.
Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Red12b
@AlisterCat said:
" All I know is 98% of those who would criticise him on a quote taken out of context from his book are not even nearly intelligent enough to have a conversation with him. I know I'm not. "
amen brother 
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pinworm45
@No0b0rAmA said:
If he didn't, I will.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By EdIsCool
@ShiftyMagician said:

" @tunaburn said:

actually scientists and i personally agree that there has to be life on another planet somehwere. there are an infinite number of them. how could no other planet have any life anywhere? ohhhh... thats right, god made us and of course god doesnt have any toys on any other planet anywhere else. i mean why would he right? hes busy with this one of course. "

I do not agree that there "has" to be life on another planet, but I do agree when someone says that there "could be".  We will not know for sure until humanity is capable of some form of space exploration or long-range space scanning of some kind, but nothing can be ruled out either. "
the phrase you are looking for is almost certainly( one step down from finding them). Scientists eventually come out depending on the weighting given to various things at  10 billion planets capable of supporting life. More than likely we will never find them, they have never visited us, but the chances that we are alone in the universe are virtually zero.
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@ryanwho said:
" @MetalGearGeorge said:
" Hawking doesn't perceive as a deity like christians or muslims or whatever. He refers to god as the cause of the creation of the universe. What i don't understand is why everytime a scientist refers remotely to god all the people that make money by saying to people that god actually exists try to discredit him. "
Discredit is one word. He's making claims he thinks are logical that are fundamentally philosophical. "God doesn't need to exist" is his logical conclusion for the universe, and its not even saying "god can't exist" but fundamentally any religious person would argue god does need to exist for their lives to have meaning. That's the rub. "
Oh dude let's clear things up. I don't say that people who believe in god are dumb or anything and that they shouldn't be respected. I am just saying that the leaders of each religion are constantly trying to prove scientists who refer to god wrong. i know for a fact ,since the rest of my family are christians, that their faith in Christ will not waver because some super smart quantum physicist said so. All i am trying to say is that religious leaders are trying very hard to hold on to the power that they have because they are representatives of god to some people.
Avatar image for white_silhouette
White_Silhouette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#36  Edited By White_Silhouette

I honestly don't see how this really affects religion. I don't need to have a phone that can do texting,email, internet, videos. But I have one because it suites me.

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EdIsCool
@MetalGearGeorge said:
" @ryanwho said:
" @MetalGearGeorge said:
Discredit is one word. He's making claims he thinks are logical that are fundamentally philosophical. "God doesn't need to exist" is his logical conclusion for the universe, and its not even saying "god can't exist" but fundamentally any religious person would argue god does need to exist for their lives to have meaning. That's the rub. "
Oh dude let's clear things up. I don't say that people who believe in god are dumb or anything and that they shouldn't be respected. I am just saying that the leaders of each religion are constantly trying to prove scientists who refer to god wrong. i know for a fact ,since the rest of my family are christians, that their faith in Christ will not waver because some super smart quantum physicist said so. All i am trying to say is that religious leaders are trying very hard to hold on to the power that they have because they are representatives of god to some people. "
rejection of the scientific method in favour of superstition is pretty dopey.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By ryanwho

He didn't even say something that concrete. Most scientists, being both cynical and open by default, believe "god probably doesn't exist" (athiestic agnostic, I think is the term) and then rattle on about how the term 'god' means a million different things and use big science words. So I don't see the hugely surprising thing about what he said. I'm also not a fan of only believing experts when they say what you want to hear. Kind of defeats the purpose of expertise. Any jackass could tell you what you want to hear.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#39  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've met both dumb and smart people who blindly and studiously follow both organized religion and institutionalized science.

I think either side that wholly refuses the other, firmly believing that one has proven enough to discount the other, are the true simple and small minded ones.

...but that's just me.

MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@EdIsCool: Well dude i am on the science team here but we have to accept that some people choose a different way of finding answers to their questions. Some people use science, some use religion and i use Deadpool. You can't go wrong with Deadpool.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tunaburn
@ryanwho said:
" @tunaburn: But you understand, there's no proof of alien life just like there's no proof of god. You can't point to something and go "there, alien life". Until you can, your wishful thoughts aren't any more logical than anyone elses. "

no i think believing that there is probably life on another planet can at least be somewhat scientifically argued. With the number of planets being to high to even comprehend the odds are pretty high. But there is no way at all the prove a single thing about god. The bible is full of the craziest stuff you don't even see in movies yet. Where have all the huge floods that kill everything on the planet and the guys that walk on water and the guys that can part whole seas of water? Religion is based on nothing but "faith" and made up stories. At least alien life is something that scientists have proven might exist. We have found water on the moon. Small amounts yes but water still. And we have found many other solar systems with planets very very simliar to ours.
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By EdIsCool
@MetalGearGeorge said:

" @EdIsCool: Well dude i am on the science team here but we have to accept that some people choose a different way of finding answers to their questions. Some people use science, some use religion and i use Deadpool. You can't go wrong with Deadpool. "

the problem is that they elect Reagan and Bush and push for creationism to be taught alongside evolution. People dont realise that a scientific theory is a theory that has been  held up to severe scrutiny and the presentation of evidence. Evolution has not buckled under this. So when people say its only a theory I want to smash their teeth in, because they think its the same as a theory about Area 51. The basis of most modern societies is do what you like as long as it dosent hurt anyone else, the power of the evangelical right(not condemned fiercely enough by moderate christians) severely damages other people.
tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By tunaburn
@EdIsCool:
i agree totally. also people like Bush send us to war saying shit like this quote  "According to Abbas, Bush said: 'God told me to strike at al Qaida and I struck them, and then he instructed me to strike at Saddam, which I did, and now I am determined to solve the problem in the Middle East. If you help me I will act, and if not, the elections will come and I will have to focus on them.'"  

can you believe this shit
MetalGearGeorge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MetalGearGeorge
@EdIsCool: Well IMO religions should be banned from modern societies because all they do is divide people who then try to slaughter each other just to prove that the big dude in the sky who sees all looks like they imagined them. However religions nowadays have become well-oiled money making machines who use fear as their main weapon and are rooted deeply in modern cultures. People just refuse to see the atrocities caused by religious fanatics over the years in order not to lose their place in heaven or wherever they believe they are going to go if they obey blindly to a set of rules that were given to people by god 2000 years ago.
Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By buzz_killington

I don't really see the point of insisting on getting God out of the equation. Within scientific circles, using God as an explanation for anything is a joke, so just let the normal people think what they want to think.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hicks91

Stephen Hawkings is a genius, i would love to read his book more deeply but even with my education (theoretical physics) i find it takes time to understand his arguments (which are pretty much always inspired) 
the people in the comments section of most magazines or whatever are speaking of matter they probably dont understand

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By EdIsCool
@buzz_killington said:

" I don't really see the point of insisting on getting God out of the equation. Within scientific circles, using God as an explanation for anything is a joke, so just let the normal people think what they want to think. "

the problem is that they elect Reagan and Bush and push for creationism to be taught alongside evolution    
hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By hicks91

an actual quote on the daily mail article for this story 

"I think you'll find Stephen Hawking said nothing, his computer said it all ! 

This is all false prophecy by someone who looks like an extra from robot wars is terrible, and all who disbelieve in the almighty will go straight into the order of satan."

i am not joking
EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By EdIsCool
@hicks91 said:
" an actual quote on the daily mail article for this story 

"I think you'll find Stephen Hawking said nothing, his computer said it all ! 

This is all false prophecy by someone who looks like an extra from robot wars is terrible, and all who disbelieve in the almighty will go straight into the order of satan."

i am not joking "
i love it when christians are unchristian.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Scooper
@KaosAngel said:
" You know, we are never going to find out how the universe was started.    I don't get why people get paid to find out.   "
Never say never. I bet people 400 years ago would say we'll never find out how all the animals and humans really came to be, and then Darwin found out. I bet people 2000 years ago thought we'd never find out the true reason why the Sun hangs in the sky or what the white dots in the night sky are.

We've got to keep answering these questions, it's the most important thing we've done and we have to do it while we can. Imagian if we didn't bother. We'd all be sitting around dying of polio and measels cowering in fear that we didn't sacrifice enough goats and children so our village somewhere on the flat earth doesn't get covered in the "big blue" where the Kraken lives.

We will find out how it all began one day. Maybe that will be just knowledge that can't help us in any practical way. But what if by searching for the answer of the universe's beggining we discover something about a certain, before not known particle and have infinite clean energy. Or find out how to travel faster then light. It's always important to try to answer all questions.