How bad was your musical taste 10 years ago? (1 being worst)

• 166 results
Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Sanity

I still like some Disturbed... dose that make me a bad person?

Really tho my taste hasen't changed much, i listen to alot of classic metal and rock, along with a ton 90's and earlier country. There is some new metal i like, but i dont really keep up with music that much and tend to just stick with what i already like.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By Devil240Z

I listened to alot of weird al when i was 13(ten years ago)

Like when you're a kid and you're super into weird al, where do you go from there? I went onto gangsta rap...

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Vexxan

Pretty much the same. I spent a lot of time on a site I think was called VGMusic and listened to video game MIDI music. I regret nothing.

mattclassic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By mattclassic

10 years ago was when I was first getting into the bands I like now. My tastes have expanded a bit, but I still like a lot of what I listened to then. Now if we're talking earlier than that, like when I was in high school... Ugh. Probably a 1, maybe 2 on a good day.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#56  Edited By Tylea002

Ten years ago? I'm nearly 19, so ten years ago is a fuckton of time. I was all pop hits and Will Smith at that time.

That said, I will always have time for Will Smith. Black suits comin'.

valiantgrizzly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By valiantgrizzly

Goddamn, 10 years ago I was into Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit. If you did this poll next year... 2003 is the year I got into bands like Poison The Well, Boysetsfire, Thrice and Refused - bands I still listen to.

Avatar image for deactivated-63f899c29358e
deactivated-63f899c29358e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ten years ago? Man, I was nine back then, that feel like a century ago.

I dunno, I never really liked "real" music, so I guess it was all video game music for me.

Granted it still is, but I mix it up with some different things (mostly Rolling Stones, Queen and Led Zeppelin)

landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By landon

Bad? How can this be bad?!

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#60  Edited By Justin258

Kind of funny how people are revolted at themselves when they remember their teenage tastes of Disturbed, Korn, Linkin Park, etc. No, those bands are not tasteful or amazing, but I still listen to them a good bit. I like some nu-metal songs a whole lot, they're good for getting the blood pumping. More than nu-metal, though, I listened to metalcore. As I Lay Dying, Haste The Day, August Burns Red, All That Remains, As Blood Runs Black, The Devil Wears Prada (wasn't a huge fan of that last one). For the record, Haste The Day's first album is still spectacular and so are several of Underoath's, and August Burns Red's newest album also struck me as really good.

Still, these days I find myself in want of new music. I've been sticking with Rush, Boston, Dream Theater, and some other such stuff, but I haven't gotten around to looking up more music to get.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By EuanDewar
@Viking_Funeral You must be American or something cause Kasabian are like, one of if not the biggest guitar band around nowadays over here in Britain.

Can't say I'm a fan tho.
CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By CL60

Depending on how you look at it, my musical taste probably got worse.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SomeJerk

Ten years ago? Good metal, good hiphop, anything touched by Mike Patton, Dream Theater, synth music along the likes of Colony 5, And One, Laibach, DAF.

So basically the same.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By tebbit

I think when I was 12 I thought the Baha Men's "Who Let the Dogs Out", and that fucking Hamsterdance song were pretty catchy.

Other than that I think my taste was alright.

iGooner7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By iGooner7

Still the same. Listening to classic/old school songs

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By Pop

10 years ago, I was probably in my "OMG EMINEM!!" zone it was bad but not embarrassing. If I go back like 15 years it would be embarrassing today but maybe not back then cause I liked all the pop songs/groups you know spice girls, backstreet boys etc. didn't really like britney spears. I was 8 I didn't know shit about music except what was playing on TV and that's what I would listen to and like.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#67  Edited By guiseppe

Who cares? Mine is basically the same, it's just more evolved. Also, Korn's earlier days were awesome.

Natesaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Natesaint

I listened to some Nu Metal. Never liked Disturbed and found their first album with the monkey vocals annoying as hell. Korn was always crap to me. I listened to Sevendust once in a while, not really anymore though. I owned two Adema albums. Wow. Terrible stuff. Even listened to Spineshank and a bit of Ill Nino, although by that time I was getting tired of all of them using the exact same processed "riffs" on every damn song and I was breaking out of it. To me Nu Metal's popularity was baffling, although I was more offended by the lack of musical talent within the genre than anything else. Perhaps that is why it became big.

I could never stand the female fronted Nu Metal bands either. Evanescence and Lacuna Coil drive me nuts. I know Coil is closer to metal than the others, but they are still pop metal with an idolized female vocalist. Bah humbug.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#69  Edited By ArtisanBreads

I still listened to a lot of things I do today so it isn't bad necessarily overall.

But I did listen to nu metal :(

I liked Limp Bizkit.... but even I knew Hot Dog Flavored Water was just way too far! That's how I still respect 10 years ago me's tastes.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#70  Edited By TobbRobb

I'm way more open minded then 10 years ago. So technically worse since I've started enjoying songs I would've just disregarded as shit before.

But fuck it, I'm having more fun with music now. Gimme really dumb, upbeat pop and I'll give it a shot.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#71  Edited By musubi

Eh, I think Nu Metal is fine. Currently Im way more into Hip-Hop and Pop music though. Music is so subjective that I find it stupid to criticize peoples tastes in it.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By CL60
@Demoskinos

Eh, I think Nu Metal is fine. Currently Im way more into Hip-Hop and Pop music though. Music is so subjective that I find it stupid to criticize peoples tastes in it.

But what if somebody likes Brokencyde non ironically? Would it be okay to criticize them then?
CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By CaLe

I liked Pink and Tupac.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Karl_Boss

I barely listened to music at all 10 years ago.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By thomasnash

I graded it a two. I listened to a lot of Nu-metal back then, but it was also around the time I discovered how great hip-hop could be, and also wen I got into stuff like Boards of Canada and Squarepusher, both of which laid the foundations for most of my current musical taste.

EvilNiGHTS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#76  Edited By EvilNiGHTS

I listened to nu-metal ten years ago, and though a lot of that stuff really doesn't hold up now there are far worse things I could have been listening to at the time (Happy Hardcore, anyone?). I did however watch a lot of Smallville last year and cringe at how much music in the first few seasons seems to come from the 2001 MTV2 playlist. And then I heard Wherever You Will Go by The Calling while I was at the gym, which rubbed salt in the wound definitely.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#77  Edited By Justin258

@CL60 said:

@Demoskinos

But what if somebody likes Brokencyde non ironically? Would it be okay to criticize them then?

You can criticize anyone who likes Brokencyde all you want to.

GeekDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By GeekDown

I was twelve then, but I think I had started listening to tolerable music. Iron Maiden and Metallica mostly so there is at least nothing to be embaressed about. But right before that I listened to Limp Bizkit and Korn, so I had just made it out of that period.

Buscemi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By Buscemi

Ten years ago I was way, way into Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Rafaelfc

Pretty much the same as it is nowadays, but I thought Zwan's album (Billy Corgan's band after the Pumpkins split) was good at the time... ugh

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#81  Edited By ProfessorEss

Awesome. It's always been awesome and it'll always be awesome.

You might think my musical taste is bad but I don't care I think it's awesome, 10 out of 10.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Grillbar

if you say what the general opinion would think then my music taste has gotten worse since i have branched in to more different styles that are more extreme.

@Viking_Funeral said:

Maturity is being able to forgive yourself for ever owning a Limp Bizkit album.

Now I feel like a hipster because no one I talk to has heard of Kasabian or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

hey theres nothing wrong with limp bizkit. even though Fred durst sounds like a prepubescence child who tries to be cool.

arent both those band 10 or so years old. if not a little more

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

I havent really got into any new bands in the last 10 years. Muse, The Stokes and The White Stripes all came out that time and I havent got into any new rock bands since. I like Kayne now so theres that.

falling_fast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By falling_fast

pretty bad. I owned almost every cradle of filth album. also, I listened to linkin park, evanescence, within temptation and nightwish

Nev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#85  Edited By Nev

Ten years ago, not too bad. Mostly mainstream rock radio, some grunge that was still played, that sort of stuff. Still enjoy much of it, despite not considering it my favorite music - aside from Nirvana, Alice in Chains, and a few others. But around five or so years ago, I had a really terrible period of listening to what was at least called 'emo' at the time. Not the legitimate emo from when it began in the 90s, but shit like Fallout Boy, and man, I don't even remember the others. I consider all of the stuff I listened to from that period pretty terrible today. Thankfully by the end of that period, I got away from that stuff.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#86  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

10 years ago I started walking down a musical path that led me here today. So the same I guess.

wealllikepie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#87  Edited By wealllikepie

ITS BETTER NOW

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Ben_H
@DemiGodRaven said:

Just saw Powerman 5000 on Wednesday

I hate nu-metal, but I will admit I'm jealous. That would be a fun show. 

Also, this was 10 years ago: 

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Catarrhal

@DemiGodRaven said:

Just saw Powerman 5000 on Wednesday and Static-X on Friday…

You might wanna keep that a secret from Horgh, sir.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#90  Edited By stonyman65

@Skyfire543 said:

The same. You will never take away my 3rd wave Ska and punk rock.

Fight the power my brother!

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#91  Edited By pyromagnestir

10 years ago I hadn't yet gotten a car, so I really hadn't started choosing what music I wanted to listen to yet.

Before Car I listened to a lot of Eminem (still love those first 2 albums, and the 3rd's alright, after that... eh. I was listening to some Eminem earlier this week, as I was ripping a lot of my old cd's onto my computer so I could put them all away afterwards.) and the usual suspects of Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit (I can't remember why, but at some point in the recent past I also found myself on YouTube listening to some of their songs. I no longer consider either to be good, but at the time I was not really seeking out better music, so I don't have any shame about liking it back then)

About 9 years ago I got a car and subsequently I went on a long rap kick. A lot of 90's east coast stuff, Wu tang, Biggie, Nas, Cypress Hill, stuff like that. Some other stuff like Jurassic 5 and Common and Talib Kweli and stuff like that. Still enjoy all of it.

Whereas in the past few months I've been listening to and enjoying a lot of PJ Harvey, Metric, St. Vincent, Mike Patton, Florence + the Machine, Kyuss, Caribou, Radiohead, etc. A lot of college and internet favorites, I guess.

So I guess, if I had to grade my musical tastes from 10 years ago, I'd give myself an incomplete.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By ShaggE

I still listen to a lot of awful music. I am to rock and 90s pop (I listened to Unpretty by TLC yesterday... unironically. I have problems) what Jeff and Ryan are to rap: I can't help loving the trash. I also listen to a lot of everything, so I offset the shit with the respectable.

I maintain that Korn gets a bad break, though. Their lyrics are admittedly... not so great, but I really do like Jon Davis' vocals, and that signature guitar sound is almost iconic. That said, their affiliation with Limp Bizkit was a terrible, terrible thing for everybody.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I listened to linkin park

Superkenon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Superkenon

I will never apologize for Yo-Yo Ma!!!!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Real Bad! I would never wish my sixteen year-old musical tastes on anyone.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By napalm

Well, I first heard the music I'm currently into about eleven or twelve years ago. As far as I'm concerned, it's only gotten a whole lot better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you look at what music is popular, most people have bad tastes in music. :-d

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By napalm

@wewantsthering said:

Yes. A thousand times, this.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Scrawnto

When I was 13, ten years ago, I was just starting to become aware of electronic music, particularly Daft Punk, which I have come to adore. That's also about the time that I discovered the Gorillaz, so all-in-all it hasn't changed much since then. Before that though, I didn't really have taste in music. I didn't have any favorite bands, and I pretty much despised everything on the radio with the exception of classic rock from the sixties and seventies. I was totally unaware that there was actually good modern music out there.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By Animasta

@wewantsthering said:

meh. I think popular music today is better than the stuff 10 years ago.

metalcore isn't great, but it's leaps and bounds better than nu metal, and lady gaga is pretty dope as well.