How bad was your musical taste 10 years ago? (1 being worst)

• 166 results
FriedConsole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By FriedConsole

10 years ago I was a proto-hipster working at a college radio station and I was pretty pretentious never admitting I dug that Mariah Carey song. When you hit the 30+ you start realize you don't give a crap about what other people think of your choices of entertainment. I was annoying friends with the Dixie Chicks in the car the other day. So by established community standards of what is good music my music listening has probably gotten worse but I don't have to pretend to like a bunch of crap that is deemed as cool anymore.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@Animasta said:

@wewantsthering said:

If you look at what music is popular, most people have bad tastes in music. :-d

meh. I think popular music today is better than the stuff 10 years ago.

metalcore isn't great, but it's leaps and bounds better than nu metal, and lady gaga is pretty dope as well.

Just because it's better than ten years ago, that doesn't mean it's good music. Haha. Lady Gaga has a couple okay songs, but most of it's garbage. Every generation has great and lame music. Most music that plays on the radio is junk, but even they get it right sometimes. Most radio stations are a loop of Call me Maybe and One Direction...

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By DemiGodRaven

@Catarrhal said:

@DemiGodRaven said:

Just saw Powerman 5000 on Wednesday and Static-X on Friday…

You might wanna keep that a secret from Horgh, sir.

Tell Horgh he can bring it. I'll beat his ass and take his wrestling belt from him.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

CRAWWWWWWLLING INNNNNNN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!

joey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#106  Edited By joey

I pretty much exclusively listened to classic rock and Weird Al.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By CheapPoison

I still like nu-metal so i don't approve of this poll.

firecreed17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By firecreed17

Man, ten years ago the band I listened to the most was Creed.... I don't think I'll ever let myself live that down.

nohthink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By nohthink

I picked the same LOL 
With that said, I listend to Kid Rock and I am an Asian. That pretty much sums it up.

ZeeL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By ZeeL

I think I was into Tom Petty at that time. But I like to think that my musical tastes have evolved like Tool's music. It has matured, yet I still look back at the early stuff fondly. Also I discovered Radiohead, and The Mars Volta since ten years ago which completely reworked my musical tastes.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#111  Edited By Animasta

@Everyones_A_Critic said:

CRAWWWWWWLLING INNNNNNN MY SKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate the fact that I know those lyrics

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#112  Edited By fattony12000

Drum and bass, good 60s/70s/80s rock, blues, soul, classical, ska, hip hop, pretty much the same stuff as now.

Avatar image for deactivated-637c9f11743a7
deactivated-637c9f11743a7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say better now, went from LP listening to lots of a thrash metal to now just about any goddamn thing I want.

nerdsbeware

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By nerdsbeware

10 years ago I was just getting into the music I like today now that I think about it. It has evolved and grown since but yea, still in the same vein.

brandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By brandino

The same.

Been listening to essentially the same bands and genre of music since the early 90s (70s/80s rock, 90s grunge/altern bands like Pearl Jam, STP, soundgarden etc) the only new band i have started listening to over the past i would say 10 years is Cage the Elephant but i am not a huge music guy, i actually only ever listen to music when driving and when i do my daily walk/run. If anything my urge to listen to music of the last 10 years has dropped pretty drastically.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By NegativeCero

I went with C because there isn't really anything I'm ashamed of liking. At 10, I listened to mostly rap, I didn't really develop a decent range in taste until later on.

Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Jrinswand

I had aged out of nu-metal by the time I was 15. However, I had moved on to stupid hippie bullshit, like Phish, moe., and all the rest.

Mahonay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Mahonay

10 years ago I was 16. I was listening to a mixture of punk, metal, emo rock, and I was just beginning to listen to some indie stuff. So, nothing too terrible.

I would say it was worse a couple years later, by the time I was a senior in high school. For a while there it was predominantly screamo, and hardcore bands. Girl jeans, ridiculous long swoopy hair, underage drinking, and completely full of myself. I was pretty terrible. Those were the days.

sparklykiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 8

#119  Edited By sparklykiss

About the same if not worse. I love me some boy bands and one hit wonders.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#120  Edited By Red

Ten years ago I didn't really care for music at all. I just liked video game and movie soundtracks.

Six or so years ago I liked garbage. I mean, really, the worst of the worst. Then I started playing Rock Band, which introduced me to a lot of stuff I had kind of looked over prior, and eventually led me down the indie music rabbit hole. I haven't looked back.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Back then I pretty much only liked classic and alt rock, but nonetheless it was still great music. Now I listen to anything and everything, except country.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#122  Edited By Sursh

i use to, get this, enjoy eminem, this was back when he had that "i'm a douche, and I relish it persona", which made his substantially terrible songs, enjoyable. he's just a joke too me now.

i've found a new soft spot for pop punk and ska punk, whilst I've always been a fan, it's taken place as a genre I favour most.

anyone in the vicinity enjoy Allister or Sum 41? If so, woo.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#123  Edited By penguindust

Basically, the same. It's been ages since I've been in junior high school, so I am long past the age where musical tastes are unrefined. By the time you're through college, you pretty much know what you're into for the next couple of decades.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#124  Edited By forkboy

@Sursh said:

I use to, get this, enjoy eminem, this was back when he had that "I'm a douche, and I relish it persona", which made his substantially terrible songs, enjoyable. He's just a joke too me now.

I've found a new soft spot for pop punk and ska punk, whilst I've always been a fan, it's taken place as a genre I favour most.

Anyone in the vicinity enjoy Allister or Sum 41? If so, woo.

I like Nofx (The Decline is the best punk song of the 1990s) & Bad Religion. That's about as pop-punk as I get these days though. Oh, Anti-Flag I suppose. And I guess I do still enjoy 90s Green Day.

Sursh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#125  Edited By Sursh

@forkboy said:

@Sursh said:

I use to, get this, enjoy eminem, this was back when he had that "I'm a douche, and I relish it persona", which made his substantially terrible songs, enjoyable. He's just a joke too me now.

I've found a new soft spot for pop punk and ska punk, whilst I've always been a fan, it's taken place as a genre I favour most.

I like Nofx (The Decline is the best punk song of the 1990s) & Bad Religion. That's about as pop-punk as I get these days though. Oh, Anti-Flag I suppose. And I guess I do still enjoy 90s Green Day.

i used to get a kick out of NOFX my enjoyment stopped, i think I'll re-open that wound. anti-flag I'm not aware of, but black flag are a favourite of mine, along the lines of punk that is.

h-hey now, green day are still sorta good, I mean they still have enjoyable content...

sometimes.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By forkboy

@Sursh said:

@forkboy said:

@Sursh said:

I used to get a kick out of NOFX my enjoyment stopped, I think I'll re-open that wound. Anti-flag I'm not aware of, but Black Flag are a favourite of mine, along the lines of punk that is.

H-hey now, Green day are still sorta good, I mean they still have enjoyable content...

Sometimes.

Oh yes, Black Flag are one of my favourites. I'm a big fan of a lot of 80s US hardcore punk stuff. Minor Threat, MDC, Reagan Youth, Bad Brains, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Misfits, etc.

The First Four Years Black Flag release is one of the best albums I've ever bought, just a band at their total creative peak.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Lysergica33

I listened to Linkin Park near religiously, I was 11. Other favourites were the likes of Papa Roach, Limp Bizkit, Korn, OPM.. The glory days of nu-metal, how I miss them so. Combining funk and metal was one of the greatest things to ever happen to heavy music. Papa Roach, Linkin Park and 90% of Korn's output is irredeemably bad, but if you cannot hear the quality of the musicianship at play in Limp Bizkit and Korn's first two albums (especially Life is Peachy, which is completely deranged musically) then there's something wrong with your ears.

Whether you like either of those bands or not, the musicianship is undeniably excellent.

Having said that.... My taste was indeed pretty fucking shocking.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#129  Edited By nintendoeats

Well I only listened to They Might Be Giants and The Beatles. I have nothing to be ashamed of.

Witzig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Witzig

I listened to Korn and Linkin Park religiously up until the 8th grade when a little song called "Where is my Mind" by the Pixies played on the radio. I went out and bought the cd just for that song but a week later I decided to listen "Something Against You" on the album which paved the way towards me listening to American 80's hardcore.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By habster3

I was seven back then. I didn't exactly listen to much music at that time, but what I did enjoy was pure shit, so I'd go with a 1.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By N7

@Milkman said:

Fucking horrible. Disturbed, System of a Down, Korn, Slipknot, Linkin Park all of that shit. It has, thankfully, slowly evolved over the years to something respectable.

This, exactly this. Oh and don't forget I.C.P.

Thankfully my taste has greatly expanded and now I listen to classy shit like Hall @ Oates and other classy shit like that.

Taborlin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Taborlin

@Viking_Funeral said:

Maturity is being able to forgive yourself for ever owning a Limp Bizkit album.

Now I feel like a hipster because no one I talk to has heard of Kasabian or Black Rebel Motorcycle Club.

My mum knows who Kasabian are. o.o

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Clonedzero

basically the same, a bit more angsty, but not bad. alot more narrow than it is now. currently i have a very wide range of genres i listen to.

DelroyLindo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DelroyLindo

I'm not embarrassed about anything I listened to. Limp Bizkit brings back good memories for me, and MMbop is still one of the best pop songs ever recorded.

Grimhild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By Grimhild

@PollySMPS said:

I never really "grow out" of music I've listened to. Everything sticks with me because it clicked initially for a reason. I like what I like and have never really given much thought to what anybody else thinks. I still listen to everything I listened to as a teenager without an ounce of shame (even though those around me believe I should for some reason). My musical tastes have certainly broadened over the years, but I can still always appreciate and enjoy things in an un-ironic fashion that I enjoyed 10-20 years ago just fine.

There are plenty of talented artists within the "nu-metal" genre as well, but it's the internet and that's not an argument I'm even willing to start having.

Huh. This, exactly.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#137  Edited By sjschmidt93

Fuck you and your biased poll. I looked up nu metal and apparently APC, RATM, and SoaD are comsidered that, therefore nu metal is not shit.

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#138  Edited By billyhoush

I think it was better in the sense that I would actively seek new music. Now I don't give a shit but if I find an artist I like I will actually purchase their music on compact disc to play in my automobile.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#139  Edited By Animasta

@SJSchmidt93 said:

Fuck you and your biased poll. I looked up nu metal and apparently APC, RATM, and SoaD are comsidered that, therefore nu metal is not shit.

RATM isn't nu metal and afaik APC isn't either. but APC is also boring like nu metal so who's to say?

also SoaD has some nu metal songs but they are definitely way more alternative than anything else

also biased polls are the best polls

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ten years ago I was 13 and had never really payed any attention to music. It wasn't till I was around 15 or so when I met my friends who introduced me to heavy metal and rock in general. I was and still am into that genre of music plus a lot of others.

Edit: I totally forgot that I was waaaay into Eminem between 13-15. Don't really listen to him anymore.

WickedFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By WickedFather

Somebody got me to listen to some Korn and Limp Biskit the other day and the idea that they are an angry 13 year old trapped in a man-body that I got when they got me to watch "The Crow" as it's an excellent film... That idea was compounded.

Avatar image for irish_giant_bomber
Irish_Giant_Bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hate the disrespect Korn get. I love them and they will always be one of my favourite bands. They were the good nu metal, then all of the shit bands came along and fucked the genre.

Slipknot have evolved into a pretty good hard rock/metal band.

As for limp bizkit... fuck it, I love a bit of limp bizkit and anyone who says they don't may be lieing :P

SOAD suck now, looking back... I don't know, I listen to what I like and I don't give a fuck what anyone thinks. One minute I'm listening to dying fetus and the the next I'm listening to Warren G.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#144  Edited By Hizang

I had an MP3 Player at that point, I only listened to it about 10 minuets a day while I waited for my friend. It was filled with Evanescence and Linken Park songs that I "Acquired" off of the internet. Those days are now gone.

Zlimness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Zlimness

I don't know, you be the judge if this is good or not:

cnlmullen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By cnlmullen

I didn't really find music I liked until I was in college, besides from some occasional soundtrack stuff in movies and games.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Funrush

Used to like modern pop a few years back, before I realized it was total garbage, and I got into classical and '70's/80's rock.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By AhmadMetallic

It's really laughable for someone to be ashamed of their musical taste as a child or a teenager and to call it bad. I love my young self and all the stupid shit he found great back then. It was great to me then and that's what matters. In 10 years I doubt I'll be listening to what I listen to today, doesn't change a thing.

By the way, music is just sounds and words that entertain you, it's not biblical or scientific, there's no need to complicate this shit!

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#150  Edited By xymox

Too hard to pinpoint... I originally mained punk and such, but around that time I got into a relationship with a goth girl who introduced me to post-punk and it's never been the same since.

Don't give me that look. There were cyberdreads involved. I regret nothing.

These days it depends more on the season and my mood to be honest. Like in the summer I find myself listening to reggae almost exclusively. One love brah and all that. But I still enjoy the post-punk stuff so I guess it hasn't really changed in that sense, but at this point it feels more like I grew up with it and it's been such a huge part of my life that I don't think its subject to change anymore. You never know though. Maybe I'll get into blackstep.

wob-wob-wob *grrrow!*