How come there are no movies based on games with a good story?

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Yukoei

I mean games like Tekken? Street Fighter? Alone in the dark? Mortal Kombat?

Wouldnt movies based on games such as Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock with good stories make good movies?

Whats up with that?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Movies without stories are easier to make, and movies based on games are solely for some easy cash, nothing more.
frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By frankxiv

games with stories are easier to fuck up as movies. what's the story of tekken? dudes fighting, ok make a movie about dudes fighting.

with story based games you pretty much have to make it 100% the game's story or you end up with like, the resident evil movies.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm rather thankful for that because there's always a high possibility that the respective movie will ruin the story established in the game.

threeve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By threeve

Games and movies are two different media.  If a great game tells a great story, there is little reason to tell it again in movie format.  Though they have been doing it to novels with great success for years so..... maybe I'm just wrong.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Pinworm45
@Yukoei said:
" @onimonkii said:
" games with stories are easier to fuck up as movies. what's the story of tekken? dudes fighting, ok make a movie about dudes fighting.  with story based games you pretty much have to make it 100% the game's story or you end up with like, the resident evil movies. "
Well then why not make it 100% the games story? "
all I'm going to say is that there's a reason you aren't a director.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Yukoei
@Pinworm45 said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @onimonkii said:
" games with stories are easier to fuck up as movies. what's the story of tekken? dudes fighting, ok make a movie about dudes fighting.  with story based games you pretty much have to make it 100% the game's story or you end up with like, the resident evil movies. "
Well then why not make it 100% the games story? "
all I'm going to say is that there's a reason you aren't a director. "
Yeah, that sounded stupid. I didnt mean to say that >_>
DevWil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By DevWil

mass effect, heavy rain, [insert critically acclaimed RPG here] would be a worse movie than video game. 

metal gear solid could be a better movie than video game. 

DUCY? 

i think i would mostly get the same experience watching someone play MGS (bear in mind i've only played through two of the games myself, maybe i'm way off).  but i wouldn't want to sit through someone else's playthrough of mass effect. 

that said i just remembered that i watched every episode of the endurance run and got about halfway through watching it again before spending my time on other things.  but persona 4 had a relatively linear narrative compared to bioware rpgs.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Yukoei
@DevWil said:
" mass effect, heavy rain, [insert critically acclaimed RPG here] would be a worse movie than video game.  metal gear solid could be a better movie than video game.  DUCY? "
I could understand Mass Effect but I think Heavy Rain would be an awesome movie.
Ataxia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Ataxia

there usual are, but the story they try to tell doesn't translate that well on the big screen.

lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By lead_farmer
@Yukoei said:
" @DevWil said:
" mass effect, heavy rain, [insert critically acclaimed RPG here] would be a worse movie than video game.  metal gear solid could be a better movie than video game.  DUCY? "
I could understand Mass Effect but I think Heavy Rain would be an awesome movie. "
Maybe, and maybe not.  Heavy Rain was a lot of fun because you still felt like you had some sort of say in how the game went, and I think that going away would remove yourself from the story.  Although if it were bad, I would want it to be bad like the actors had the weird accents like in the game.
Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Yukoei
@lead_farmer said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @DevWil said:
I could understand Mass Effect but I think Heavy Rain would be an awesome movie. "
Maybe, and maybe not.  Heavy Rain was a lot of fun because you still felt like you had some sort of say in how the game went, and I think that going away would remove yourself from the story.  Although if it were bad, I would want it to be bad like the actors had the weird accents like in the game. "
That is true, but finding out who was the origami is what really kept me playing it for nearly 6 hours straight.
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By sixpin

Heavy Rain is a good game and the story works for what it is, but it isn't a very well written story. The plot has a few holes in it and the true identity of the Origami Killer didn't really make sense in context with the rest of the game. 

Not to say that it couldn't be rewritten and made better or for another franchise to do it right. I thought Silent Hill was a great game to be written into a movie - it is just too bad that the director was way off in vision and the acting was subpar.

Number1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Number1
@Yukoei said:
" I mean games like Tekken? Street Fighter? Alone in the dark? Mortal Kombat?  Wouldnt movies based on games such as Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock with good stories make good movies?   Whats up with that? "
Why? Whats wrong with them being just games, they work best in the game format and as movies they would be seen as cheap rip offs. 

Heavy Rain - Seven
Uncharted - Indiana Jones 
Mass Effect - Star Trek
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By Seedofpower

Those games don't need movies.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By frankxiv
@Yukoei said:
" @lead_farmer said:
" @Yukoei said:
" @DevWil said:
Maybe, and maybe not.  Heavy Rain was a lot of fun because you still felt like you had some sort of say in how the game went, and I think that going away would remove yourself from the story.  Although if it were bad, I would want it to be bad like the actors had the weird accents like in the game. "
That is true, but finding out who was the origami is what really kept me playing it for nearly 6 hours straight. "
that's another good reason why it wouldn't work.

movies don't last 6 hours. you'd have to trim a lot out of a game to even deliver a quarter of the story that some of them offer in a movie time frame.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By penguindust

Film makers aren't interested in games with good stories.  As the games-to-movies genre is young and has performed poorly so far, producers are risk shy.  Instead of a game with a decent plot and well thought out characters, they would rather use games with famous titles and recognizable characters.  Nostalgia is a big player when deciding what game to transform into a movie.  Does it already have a built in audience?  Will potential customers understand what the film is about just from seeing a few screenshots or a 30 second trailer?  Can it be merchandised?   These are the questions that are asked before deciding to make a game-movie.   Anything more will muck up the director's ability to realize his "vision".

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By luce

Some videogame franchises are practically a money generating blank canvas.

The story in Resident Evil is balls so they could mess with it all they want in the movies and still get money from both pools of audiences (fans of RE and people that crave an action flick)

Can't wait for Asteroids: the movie

EddieMD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By EddieMD

Max Payne is the best example that a good story won't matter in making a movie.   They could have just copied that game word for word and it would have been immensely better than their "movie-fied" version.  They'll never get it anytime soon.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By haggis

Because they are different media, it is quite difficult to convert a game story to a movie, just as it's difficult to translate a book into a movie. In my mind, if they're going to make a movie out of a game, they're better off almost starting over completely. Make a Mass Effect movie, sure. But don't make it about Commander Shepard. Set it in the universe, tell us more about what's going on, but don't try to cram a 20 hour game into a two hour movie. It's pointless.

Part of the problem is that until recently, the games with the best stories have not sold as well as the games without stories. And even then, stories in games have always been ... rather corny. It's a different market. Even "good" stories for games, like KotoR, simply don't measure up to stories written for the big screen. The best writers don't write for video games. It's just the way things are. Or, at least, the way things were. It's changing (thank God), and we're getting some better writing in games.

In general, though, I'd much rather that video games stay games and movies stay movies. It's better that way.

Yukoei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Yukoei

Random Question-

Would you guys watch a 6 hour movie? just interested, I know alot of people will say ''no'' but most of us played Heavy Rain in one sitting.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By penguindust
@Yukoei:   

I would on DVD/Blu-Ray.  I've been known to watch long marathons of TV shows and anime series, watching a 6 hour movie would be okay with me at home.  There is no way I'd watch one in the theaters, though.   I need to be able to take a break, get a sandwich, go to the bathroom, sit in a comfortable chair, etc... And, even with an intermission, that isn't going to happen in your average movie theater.  Additionally, the companies that own theaters wouldn't make any money because of the long run time.  I guess they could make up for some by making the game in 3D, but still that's a lot of lost revenue.   Finally, there is the question of how engaging the story might be over that length of time when it is a purely passive experience.  I can sit and play a game for long periods because I am in control.  I can watch a TV series because each episode has to be entertaining as a single experience as well as part of the greater whole.   Since a movie is nothing but "whole" it is prone to dead spots.  The longer a movie is, the greater the chance that it will just drone on purposelessly.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By KaosAngel

Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, Farcry, and Postal

/thread

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Brendan
@EddieMD said:
"Max Payne is the best example that a good story won't matter in making a movie.   They could have just copied that game word for word and it would have been immensely better than their "movie-fied" version.  They'll never get it anytime soon. "

Exactly.  I was just thinking about the Max Payne example.  Things that work in the hours it takes to play a video game suddenly "don't work" to the director, whereupon he inserts "the spirit of the game story" into his own movie.  It usually ends up smelling like balls.
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By KaosAngel
@Brendan said:
" @EddieMD said:
"Max Payne is the best example that a good story won't matter in making a movie.   They could have just copied that game word for word and it would have been immensely better than their "movie-fied" version.  They'll never get it anytime soon. "
Exactly.  I was just thinking about the Max Payne example.  Things that work in the hours it takes to play a video game suddenly "don't work" to the director, whereupon he inserts "the spirit of the game story" into his own movie.  It usually ends up smelling like balls. "
What I don't get is how they did fuck up Max Payne...it should've been done by Frank Miller to do it justice. 
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

This is something people seem to have trouble grasping the concept of but... 

GAMES =/= MOVIES. 

Thank you. 

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hot_Karl

It's all about brand recognition. If you base a movie on a (semi) popular source of entertainment, you're guaranteed a base audience who would be already interested in paying to see the film. Tomb Raider isn't known for its story, but the game was one of the best selling ever during the Playstation era. There was a large set of people who knew and appreciated the Lara Croft character, so studios see that as a way to exploit a built-in audience in order to make money. This pretty much goes with all adaptations, ever, from X-Men to Resident Evil to Scooby Doo. It's far easier to sell an established franchise to moviegoers than a straight up new, unproven and unknown property.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

I'd think Heavy Rain would make a great movie.

By the way,viewers dont like when they change the story away from the movie f.ex:that they change the Heavy Rain movie so in the story,Norman Jayden is gay....

DUH!

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Lowbrow
@Yukoei said:

" I mean games like Tekken? Street Fighter? Alone in the dark? Mortal Kombat?  Wouldnt movies based on games such as Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock with good stories make good movies?   Whats up with that? "

Sorry brother - Max Payne killed that dream after hollywood assholes raped that wonderfully written story. Twice.

EDIT: Everyone beat me to it. Also HOW THE FUCK CAN YOU MAKE VALKYRE EFFECT DARK, PISS YELLOW?!?! Making it green had so much better of an impact cause it made me think poison.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Number1 said:
" @Yukoei said:
Why? Whats wrong with them being just games, they work best in the game format and as movies they would be seen as cheap rip offs.  Heavy Rain - SevenUncharted - Indiana Jones Mass Effect - Star Trek "
Exactly.