How do Californians pronounce "channel"?

Krullban

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Krullban

The new Xbox TV quick look was driving me nuts. Do all Californians pronounce channel like Jeff? He kept saying "Chennel" like Kennel but with a Ch.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

He was saying with a soft CH, but yes, it did sound like Chennel. I have never heard anyone pronounce it like that I am from California and formerly the Bay Area.

DemiGodRaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DemiGodRaven

We adapt our accent specifically to get on other people's nerves.

also; channel on this end, not chennel.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Probably. Regional accents are funny that way.

Example: I grew up in Toronto. Having grown up in Toronto surrounded by native Toronto people, I pronounce Toronto as "Cha-ron-no". That's how most people said the city's name. You got the occasional person who insisted on "tor-on-to" but those were assholes who needed to be shunned from society. Didn't mind it from visitors or recent immigrants, but a person who has lived in the city for a period of time and still refers to it as "tor-on-to"? Massive douchebag.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I've been living in the bay area for 3 months, I came from Jersey, so I think no. I haven't noticed a change in accents, jeff pronounces it same as I do.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Some Californians pronounce it "chan-ell".

The good ones.

golguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

It must be a Northern California thing. Everyone I know (I live in Southern California) says it like a normal person.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@tycobb said:

He was saying with a soft CH, but yes, it did sound like Chennel.

You mean SH?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I guess a normal CH then? It wasn't a K sound and it wasn't SH. It sounded like Chen-nel.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jams

God damn it. I didn't even notice it the first time. Now I can't stop hearing it. He really is saying chennel. I'm born and raised in California and I only ever heard and called it channel (Or I guess the way @truthtellah said it "Chan-ell"). Maybe that comes out sometimes sounding like chennel?

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By bigjeffrey

hello a Californian here, II give it a little bit of cshh in the beginning but i

PandaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Shan-ell

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By development

Did he? Didn't even notice it. The proper way is "Chan (Norman Chan)" - "Ull (Full)."

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@golguin said:

It must be a Northern California thing. Everyone I know (I live in Southern California) says it like a normal person.

Southern Californian here, can confirm.

Chtasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bay Area-ian here:

Jackie Channel

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad someone else brought this up, I've noticed this for years but didn't want to say anything.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@golguin said:

Southern Californian here, can confirm.

Northern Californian here, can confirm Jeff Gerstmann as outlier.

DeadpanCakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By DeadpanCakes

Live in Southern California, like, right next to the Californian/Mexican border and we say it like normal human beings

(Chan Ell)

certmcgurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grew up about 20 mins from Petaluma, never heard anyone pronounce channel like Jeff did.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Shovel. As in Check out my Youtube Shovel. I'm from the center of the Earth, so my pronuncidation is surely the most corvette of everyperson.

andrew2696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldirtybearon: I didn't notice the Toronto thing until I watched Argo. I'm not that conscious of my accent.

Fun Fact, in the non fiction account of Argo, it wasn't Toronto they had to learn it was Scarborough.Or some other less famous city.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

We adapt our accent specifically to get on other people's nerves.

This explains so much.

razzdrazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krullban: As a lifelong Californian, I've always said "chan-ull."

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

I'm from California, and, now that I've read this thread and said the word aloud to myself a hundred times, I have no fucking clue. I probably do say it somewhat closer to "kennel" when I'm speaking casually. I tend to speak super fast and do not have time to properly form vowels.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's not a California thing.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am from the Bay Area and have lived in southern California for the last eight years. Everyone says "channel" like a normal person ("chann-uhl" or "chann-ill"). He does too, he's just saying it quickly.

There is an awful lot of focus on how the staff says things here. Imagine if you could do this with your friends: defer to a group of thousands of others who also know that friend, and deconstruct their cadence, timbre, rhythm, and vocabulary over the course of days, months, years, without their knowledge, consent, or say. Just reduce them to little Lego bits, where each piece is a unit of their language. This one is the way Jeff says "chennel". This one is the way he says "theoretically". This one is the way he says "rotten". This one is the questioning lift he applies at the end of a response. This one is the way he raises his eyebrows. Then, once you have completely exposed all of his speech nuances like an exploded diagram through the assistance of the collective Giant Bomb unconscious, you could watch as he forms a response to the question, "what do you think of the Xbox One television interface?" and, much like Neo in The Matrix, see the beautiful code of the words as they leave his lips in apparent slow motion. "I know now. I can see," you would say in awe, the intricacies of every syllable singing - screaming - to you in vivid colorblind-friendly color and clarity. Calmly, and with utter certainty, you turn your head away from his face. "No? It's pretty rotten," you intone, and, turning back, you gaze upon his mouth as it returns exactly those words. You have done it. You have assimilated with the language centers of the Giant Bomb staff.

But to what end? Your social skills, once liquid and adaptable, have become the calculating machinations of a computer. You are no longer a human, engaging and articulating uniquely depending on the circumstance; you now stand outside the warmth of human interconnectivity, in the cold vacuum removed from that world, looking in and examining the beings who were once your peers as a scientist examines a Petri dish. You find that with the knowledge you sought regarding why Jeff says "channel" the way he does comes loneliness unparalleled. It's alright, though. You have your knowledge. And if you can learn the speech patterns of an individual you observed but never met, imagine what you can learn through first-hand experience? You turn away from your monitor, from Jeff's face as he finishes speaking the words you knew before he knew them himself, and you gaze out your window, to the stars. Yes, the stars...That is where I will go. Stepping up and away from your computer, you walk to your window and open it up. Your self-defenestration sends you skyward, and your robot feet shutter and shift into thrusters, propelling you into the stratosphere. You think about looking down, but don't. There is nothing more for you there. But up there? Worlds of possibilities.

pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By pekoe212

I'm not even from California, but after saying it to myself a few times now I can't even tell which way I'm pronouncing it. What else am I possibly saying wrong? This door's never gonna close now. THANKS.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only weird thing about it to me is the e sound instead of an a sound. Like, most people I know pronounce it chah-nnel, not chennel.

Vuud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't notice it the first time Jeff said it, but after mentioning it, it's all I can hear now and its driving me nuts. Thanks a lot!

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

With an unmistakable flourish.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I have noticed this every single time he says the word "channel" and it's the only thing that any of the Bombcrew says that gets to me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carefully.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First they pronounce the ch like cheetah, then we have the an for antelope and finally the nel for Nelly, as in the rapper. Just remember Nelly riding on an antelope as it is being chased by a cheetah and you can't go wrong.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XBox:

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RazielCuts

@chiablo:

Ha, I came here to say something 'Chanel' related too.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Probably. Regional accents are funny that way.

Example: I grew up in Toronto. Having grown up in Toronto surrounded by native Toronto people, I pronounce Toronto as "Cha-ron-no". That's how most people said the city's name. You got the occasional person who insisted on "tor-on-to" but those were assholes who needed to be shunned from society. Didn't mind it from visitors or recent immigrants, but a person who has lived in the city for a period of time and still refers to it as "tor-on-to"? Massive douchebag.

I too am a Torontonian born and raised and I have to say you are wrong sir. I find most people say something closer to "Ta-ron-to" allowing that "t" sound to remain. Also i have no issue with "Tor-on-to," whatever way you cut it our city has a silly sounding name though.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To those who got emotional and salty because people dared to discuss this.. people are interested in each other's differences and are capable of discussing them like adults. I know it might shake you, but it's possible. People can talk about their differences without being victimized.

Regional accents exist. By discussing them with others, you increase your knowledge of them, and introduce others to knowledge they did not have. The assumption that drawing any attention whatsoever to someone's difference is automatic victimization of that person only results in differences being seen as inherently negative, as burdens, as unhappy problems rather than those aspects with which we understand ourselves as unique personalities with unique features.

I'm a Western Canadian, but I'm a reader and I have a certain affinity for Britishisms and Chicagoisms. So "You want I should wash the dead bugs off the windscreen?" is a sentence only I would say, and if people notice it and have enough knowledge about accents that they can place my grammar, my vocabulary, my 'schwa', they'll have a better understanding of me and my cultural references.

There is no 'normal' way to pronounce things. In any language. You might pronounce them correctly in the manner you were taught, but that doesn't make it 'normal'. The 'normal' way to speak French in Tours is not the normal way in Laval. This is one of those little solipsisms that prevent people from building knowledge and empathy of others. I remember how Ryan would pronounce wash as 'warsh' when he felt like it; noticing that, being able to place _why_ he says it like that actually helps people understand who Ryan Davis is, where he's coming from. It is not a condemnation of Ryan.

Man, I preferred my previous post. It was relaxed and fun.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

"Cha-ron-no"

nobody does this...

no one would even know what you were talking about if you said that.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Iodine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was amazing to hear, but nothing can really phase me after going to college in Philly and learning that Milk is Melk and Water is Wodder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kidavenger: Plenty of Canadians say Toronto as "Churanna", especially the working class. If you need proof, go to your closest gas station and ask what team lost last night.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brodehouse said:

@kidavenger: If you need proof, go to your closest gas station and ask what team lost last night.

Ow. Low blow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers