How do you settle with a life of mediocrity?

• 111 results
Avatar image for griefersstolemykeyboard
griefersstolemykeyboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

So up untill now like every other child ever I thought I was special or had the potential of climbing to the top. But as inevitable as the tides everyone must eventually grow up to realize that, there is nothing you truly excel at and therefore is destined to a life of mediocrity.
Now I am having some trouble and have a hard time accepting the fact that I do not have any outstanding talent, my name will not be remembered nor written in any history books. Heck when I die nobody will probably remember me at all, and the thought of that just depresses me as I have always been a believer in "either you are best or you are trash." 

So as I am feeling pretty helpless and  I guess desperate since I am asking an internet forum about this, how did you guys accept mediocrity?

Linkin10362

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Linkin10362

I always knew that I wouldn't be the best of anything, so I just accepted that and moved on. That's how I deal with it.

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DeathByWaffle
@Linkin10362: Astounding!
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

except without the mediocrity life would fail.
we are all stepping stones, foundation for our world.
Without us those at top, and those above them and those above them would fail.

Its not mediocrity to serve your purpose in life, to strive, and to live, just because by others or past or future standards you didn't do much means nothing, the first step to anything is realizing the only opinion that really matters to you, should be your own.
I do not look at my self as living a mediocre life.

TomWhitbrook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By TomWhitbrook
@griefersstolemykeyboard: I don't, and neither should you.
Metzo_Paino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Metzo_Paino

You go to work to make the next rent payment, that quickly makes you accept mediocrity.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul
@griefersstolemykeyboard said:
So as I am feeling pretty helpless and  I guess desperate since I am asking an internet forum about this, how did you guys accept mediocrity? "
Realize that there are a ton of other losers like you in the world.  Hell, maybe one day you'll find some loser of a lady you can marry and you two can fail at life together.

But stay away from us in the upper echelon of life.  You smell mediocre.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By gingertastic_10

I just push it down real deep and forget about it.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

Look at myself and realize that if I wanted better, I'd try harder for it.  Then, I play games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dude, grow and pair and live life, not everyone is going to be the next Muhammad Ali, just be who you are and not worry about being the next big thing.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SSValis

well were all going to die one day so what does it matter

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Brendan

Not being a titan among men isn't being mediocre.  An average person is a perfectly fine thing to be, because there are too many roles in this world for everyone to be at the top.  I know this won't help you with the way you feel, but don't think of yourself as below other people.  You are among a system of equal people with a place that needs to be filled even if it's not recorded in stone.  Good luck man. 
VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VisariLoyalist

You'd be surprised how much of this is determined in high school, the popular people end up as business men, the nerds end up as IT guys or other specialty worker, and the normal people just end up normal. This is why there's so many nasty parents coaching their kids how to win social games.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Karl_Boss

Smoke cigarettes it will make you cool.

ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ReyGitano

I try to be better than people around me. My friends did the same. You can do a lot when you have a good picture of what you're trying to be better than. If you're worrying about being remembered in history don't be. If you were famous enough for people to remember, your life's story would be twisted into lies. Oh, and the Earth will be gone one day too, so there's that.    

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By VisariLoyalist
@SSValis said:
" well were all going to die one day so what does it matter "
2012 to be exact
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BraveToaster

Mediocrity isn't a bad thing, so it never bothered me. Our lives haven't ended yet, we still have time to make something out of our existence.

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By Elazul

If you ever feel alone or that there's no one around that you can depend on, all you need to know is this:

Now cheer up, quit moping around here with us scumbags and go get laid or something.
MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MMkain

Special people only remain/become special because they work hard at what they do. If you aren't 'special' anymore then it is because you stopped putting in the effort to be recognized for what you are doing. 
By the way, being remembered in history isn't a metric anyone should be worried about, unless it is for negative reasons, because you'll likely be dead by the time it becomes relevant. What you should really concern yourself with is that the people who matter to you know what you've done and are proud of it. Plenty of people have made it a name for themselves at the expense of everyone close to them, this doesn't make them any more successful.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Brendan
@VisariLoyalist said:
"You'd be surprised how much of this is determined in high school, the popular people end up as business men, the nerds end up as IT guys or other specialty worker, and the normal people just end up normal. This is why there's so many nasty parents coaching their kids how to win social games. "

Dude, I don't know what culture you come from, but the popular kids in high school are almost never successfull in business as adults.  They succeed at the high school social scene because it revolves around being good at sports and much of the time, unintelligent.     
Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bigrhyno

You settle with a life of mediocrity by striving for a life of mediocrity.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By VIGGO123

What classifies as mediocre?  I am really happy about my current situation and how my life turned out, so I'm not really sure what mediocre is...

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By kishan6

Life Sucks 
Smoke Weed

Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By Elazul
@Brendan said:
" @VisariLoyalist said:
"You'd be surprised how much of this is determined in high school, the popular people end up as business men, the nerds end up as IT guys or other specialty worker, and the normal people just end up normal. This is why there's so many nasty parents coaching their kids how to win social games. "

Dude, I don't know what culture you come from, but the popular kids in high school are almost never successfull in business as adults.  They succeed at the high school social scene because it revolves around being good at sports and much of the time, unintelligent.      "

This, oh dear god, this. The most popular kids from my high school are now almost literally either Hobos or Crackwhores.
PATERSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By PATERSON

Be greatful for what you have.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zeforgotten

Never tried living a mediocre life. 
Maybe to others, having a job that pays well, fiancee, a good social network and a healthy family seems mediocre, to me it's perfect.

MrMcgillicutty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By MrMcgillicutty
DVombatus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DVombatus

The only point of the life you were given is to live.  So, as long as you don't off yourself you've done all you're required to do.  Everything else is just gravy, baby.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By s10129107

You are trying to get to "the top".  The top of what?  Why do you want to be remembered?  What do you consider mediocrity or great achievement?  You have to create your own goals in life and then pursue them.  Live life by your own standards not some contrived goals set by who knows who.  Be the best at what you can and do what makes you happy.  

Or you can just focus on getting laid.  That works for a lot of people.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By scarace360

You dont.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By DrPockets000

I avoid a life of mediocrity by not thinking emo thoughts.  Sure, I have a job that can be boring, but I make it fun.  I go home and find something to entertain me.  I hang out with people who make every interaction interesting.  Not everyone is going to be a rockstar, but everyone does in fact have something they excel at.  If you don't think you do, you either a) aren't looking hard enough or b) gave up too early.  Always try new things and you will find your gift.   

How do I accept mediocrity?  I DON'T.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#33  Edited By donutfever
@Linkin10362 said:

" I always knew that I wouldn't be the best of anything, so I just accepted that and moved on. That's how I deal with it. "

Same. Also Clubbing Seals helps.
WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34  Edited By WickedCestus

I don't. I don't think I'm mediocre, I think I'm brilliant. I know what I want to do with my life and I'm working my way toward that goal. No wonder you're depressed if you think you're trash if you're not amazing. It doesn't matter what the history books say, just do what you want to do with your life.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By HandsomeDead

Find something you're good at, or enjoy, and focus on doing it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King

You mean you can't develop your best talent until you graduate from such mediocrity?

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Blackout62

Take pride in the fact that there is almost certainly someone worse than you. Not worse off, but someone who is a worse person than you. In other words: just be glad your not the founder of the West Plains Borough Baptist Church of Topeka.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#38  Edited By Deusoma

How do you deal with mediocrity?  

Either that, or you refuse to accept it. Your choice. :3
DoctorWelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By DoctorWelch

Not with that attitude you wont. You're right, if you have that attitude you will do nothing with your life and be a stupid middle of the road american at best.  Also, just because not many people will remember you doesn't mean that your life wont mean anything. I'm sure there a plenty of doctors that have or will go on to die and be forgotten, even though they saved lives while they were alive. Also also, just because you dont see the impact you have right now doesn't mean it isnt there. What if you have kids and like four generations later, one of your descendants does something amazing. You have no idea what will happen. Just because your arent the very best at something doesn't mean you cant be something. Look at Kesha, she is a white trash POS that has no talent whatsoever and somehow she got famous with music that straight up sucks ass. Even so, being famous shouldn't be the goal in life because if it is your goal, then you have already failed.
@Brendan said:  

@VisariLoyalist said: 

"You'd be surprised how much of this is determined in high school, the popular people end up as business men, the nerds end up as IT guys or other specialty worker, and the normal people just end up normal. This is why there's so many nasty parents coaching their kids how to win social games. "

Dude, I don't know what culture you come from, but the popular kids in high school are almost never successfull in business as adults.  They succeed at the high school social scene because it revolves around being good at sports and much of the time, unintelligent.      "
I agree, the popular people in high school usually go on to be complete failures in life. There are the exceptions where one of the popular kid is actually popular because he/she is book smart as well as socially smart, but that's rare. Basically, everyone has a talent, but not everyone is intelligent. You need a certain amount of intelligence to do anything with your life, but the talent is always there. You just have to find where it is your talent lies and be smart enough to know how to develop/use that talent to do great things.    
jasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jasta

I play drums for a band and I know I will never be the best drummer in the world and we will never be the most popular band either, but that doesint mean I dont enjoy playing shows, meeting people and seeing people I have never met before enjoy our music. Just because your not the absolute best at something doesint mean you have failed.

Get a grip.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Diamond

Strive for personal excellence.  Improve yourself.  Find things you enjoy.  Really, no one is 'on top' like you think, but it might not be hard to be one of the more skilled people in your particular field of interest.

Although I'm one to talk because I was the best in the world...

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Akrid
Fuck you. Try harder. If your not good at something you don't really want it. Having no talent is a result of your own negligence and refusal to try and better yourself.  

The caste system never existed according to the western world, stop acting like a farmer.
ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch3burashka

I read an article about how accepting your mediocrity will actually help you achieve more, because then you don't have pre-conceived notions of superiority. It's damn near impossible to rid thyself of feelings of being special, so I suggest you work your ass off, and when people congratulate you, take it as an offense - they're just mocking you. That way, you'll succeed without feeling too good about it.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By time allen

enjoy your life, don't do anything you don't enjoy, and don't feel guilty. don't take life seriously. also, watch more bill hicks.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45  Edited By septim

How do you settle with a life of constant pressure and expectations?

Mediocrity is relative. Everyone in this world feels like they're in the shadow or someone else at some point.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#46  Edited By ajamafalous
@Linkin10362 said:
" I always knew that I wouldn't be the best of anything, so I just accepted that and moved on. That's how I deal with it. "
MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MarkWahlberg
@Elazul said:

" @Brendan said:

" @VisariLoyalist said:

Dude, I don't know what culture you come from, but the popular kids in high school are almost never successfull in business as adults.  They succeed at the high school social scene because it revolves around being good at sports and much of the time, unintelligent.      "
This, oh dear god, this. The most popular kids from my high school are now almost literally either Hobos or Crackwhores. "
What the hell kind of  schools are you people going to, John Hughes High? (not the first guy, the other two)
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I dont... I've enjoyed life so far and will continue to for as long as I can...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#49  Edited By Jeust
@griefersstolemykeyboard:  

Just be yourself! Don't think life as a race with everyone else. Think of a life as a trip, a voyage. Just be yourself, and learn along the way, and you'll turn out a better person than many that appear in history books.  

You'll see. :) 
sagesebas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By sagesebas
@griefersstolemykeyboard: I'm not sure if you know or not the guys who created The Venture Brothers said that the series basically revolves around failure, or that failure is a major theme in it.  

these are the two creators

Publick: "This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture,' This show is actually all about failure. Even in the design, everything is supposed to be kinda the death of the space-age dream world. The death of the jet-age promises."

Hammer: "It's about the beauty of failure. It's about that failure happens to all of us..." "Every character is not only flawed, but sucks at what they do, and is beautiful at it and Jackson and I suck at what we do, and we try to be beautiful at it, and failure is how you get by." "It shows that failure's funny, and it's beautiful and it's life, and it's okay, and it's all we can write because we are big fucking failures. (laughter)"