How important is it to you that your significant other plays video games?

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Bobdaman18
Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Bobdaman18

Well since we're all on this site we all probably enjoy video games as a hobby more than most, I was just wondering if you guys find it important enough that you want a partner that shares in the activity.
Avatar image for oppressivestink
OppressiveStink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By OppressiveStink

I think it's important for my s/o to at least have something she's passionate about so she can at least relate to how much I love video games.  Luckily, I do have a gamer wife.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By kagato

I really wish my girlfriend shared the same passion for games that i do but ive never been able to get her to like them the same way i do.  Its enough for me that she plays Professor Layton on her DS and will play Rockband or any on the rails shooters i have.  She has shown some interest in my Wii but can only really play the likes of Mario Kart, she cant seem to grasp controlling the character with one stick and moving the point of view with another.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pinworm45

I can't stand gamer girls, they're the most obnoxious beings in existence. So if I have to choose between a game-hater and a gamer girl, I'll go with the former. 

Luckily my girlfriend can play games without being a gamer girl so it's perfect.

MaddProdigy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By MaddProdigy

My ex played Starcraft with her brother sometimes, and it's not like it took our relationship to another level or something, she just happened to play Starcraft and sometimes we'd talk about how awesome Blizzard is. My current chick has serious problems with video games though, thinks they're a waste of time because they're not "real" or something haha, she crazy. I prefer the old models outlook on gaming to the new talents.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

D. Besides for the girl in one of my lectures who used to play WoW, I've never met a female who plays video games who wasn't either completely shit at them or some obnoxious stereotype.

Avatar image for outofbounds9000
OutOfBounds9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By OutOfBounds9000

B. Because you cant change someone's mind and its not that important. 

BTW I'm a virgin :PPPPP

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Bobdaman18
@HandsomeDead:
I chose B but honestly I kind of agree with what you're saying.  I have yet to met a girl who was into games the way most guy gamers are.  They usually like wii party game type stuff or are obnoxious and have poor social skills (im sure i come off that way to certain girls but w/e). 

I'd like to think theres girls out there who would get excited for a new gears of war type game and that could equally share in my enthusiasm for playing it.  My current gf has no interest in games and only plays some casual ones to appease me, it's not as fun when i can tell she sees it as a chore.
Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Don't really care.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By BulletproofMonk

I don't really care, as long as she doesn't mind me playing.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By cornbredx

B. relationships are not one sided. If she only took an interest to know what I liked but wasn't particularly into them herself, that's fine. Same goes the other way around though, I'd have to take an interest in whatever shes into as well. People that expect their significant other to love the same thing they do are in for unhappy lives. Relationships are also about sacrifice. You should be more willing to spend less time gaming and more time with your girl if it came down to it. Granted she shouldn't expect you to quit gaming entirely, as that's lopsided, but there has to be a middle ground.

A relationship is a two way street, so anything you expect from her expect to do the same FOR her.

Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bobdaman18
@CornBREDX:
But i god dam hate Twilight movies and every time she makes me watch one i die a little inside...

Good post though.  Additionally, doing stuff shes into tends to broaden your own horizons.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By Jeust

B. I'd love to date someone who enjoys video games, like me, still it is a needle in a haystack where i live. 

___pocalypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ___pocalypse

I'd say it's pretty important because it's one of my main interests. I wouldn't date someone who I didn't share any mutual interests with. Talking about ME2 with a guy I was dating awhile back (while I was actively engaged in the story, playing through for the first time) was like talking to a brick wall. The relationship didn't last long. I like plenty of other things, sure, but it's the same as talking to someone about this movie or book you love and having the other person blink and shrug. I could never be in a relationship like that.

My current boyfriend mostly only plays TF2, but he'll watch me play RPGs or play Borderland co-op with me, so I think it works out pretty well. It's not like video games are the entire relationship, but I think it would be much harder to date someone who didn't care about them. I'm sure my boyfriend wouldn't want to date me if I had zero interest in any of his hobbies.

Also, there's some pretty lame misogyny on this thread. Gross, guys.

GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16  Edited By GS_Dan

As long as they put up with me doing it I'm happy. Anyone who has "does u plai gaems" as a deciding factor is deliriously stupid.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By medacris
@___pocalypse:  I couldn't have said it any better myself. If all the girl gamers you guys know only play Wii Sports, aren't skilled, or are obnoxious, you need to look harder. And I know a couple who absolutely love Gears of War.

They'd have to tolerate my gaming, but I wouldn't put it as a requirement for them to be a good gamer or to be one at all. I rank other qualities much higher.
apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By apathylad

I don't particularly care either way. Personally, I feel like I could learn more from a girl with different interests than mine. 

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't consider it a requirement, that would be incredibly stupid, but I would like to be with a guy that does like video games or has some sort of basic understanding of them. As someone said earlier, relationships are, to some degree, about sacrifice, so just as I would try to show an interest in things any prospective boyfriend had, I would expect the same understanding of my love for video games and gaming news from him, if not a shared interest. The more things we could have together, the better, afterall.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Hamst3r

I don't care if she plays video games, just that she doesn't mind that I play video games.

My last g/f HATED gaming. That didn't work out very well.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By jkz

I don't really care; at all.

wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#22  Edited By wefwefasdf
@Hamst3r said:
"  I don't care if she plays video games, just that she doesn't mind that I play video games."
Agreed!
Alyse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Alyse
@SpikeSpiegel:
You both are right. :P Gotta tolerate it. 

I met my husband waiting in line for a Nintendo Wii. Our wedding cake topper was Daisy and Luigi. Zora's domain music was our wedding march... 

Gaming is pretty much the most ... I don't know... The biggest thing we have in common. :D 

But it's not the most important. 

EDIT: By the way, I like this thread.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By iam3green

i would like a girl to play games with me. as you can see i'm on a message board  yeah.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's not too important, but it would definitely be way more enjoyable if she was into gaming.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#26  Edited By Claude

I remember when my girlfriend and now wife bought me the SNES for Christmas the year it launched. I loved that Christmas and she was amazing. Then she bitched about me playing video games all the time and not paying attention to her. (A complete fabrication)... (Maybe) Next thing I know, I got a new video game. Worked out so far.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shirogane

As long as they don't hate them. 

That said, the ones that love them are a bit...er..too insane for me.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Fallen189

Indifferent. But she does anyway, so thats nice

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By face15

I would find it kinda weird if my girlfriend played games. I wouldn't really care if she did but I've just never dated anyone was into games.

Avatar image for myoldfriendunderagedrinking
MyOldFriendUnderageDrinking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't really care if my girlfriend plays video games or not. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when people passionate about games require it from others.
NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By NTM

I don't mind if she doesn't play, as long as she doesn't mind that I play.
Arbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Arbie

I've had boyfriends that do and boyfriends that don't game. For the most part I've had more fun with the ones who do. I don't believe it would be a reason not to go out with someone though, unless gaming was a problem to them or they saw it as being immature.

habster3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By habster3

I don't think the girl I'm trying to win over likes video games. I don't mind that at all, honestly.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By tomance

I don't really care if she plays. If she doesn't like that play, bye bye.  I'm not giving games up.  It seems most girls now don't really care either.  With stuff they Dance Central they are more willing to play games even if it's not the traditional Halos or cod blops.

theclaw1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By theclaw1980

I would really like to date someone that does play video games, but we have to have other interests as well.  Not that important. 

damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#36  Edited By damnboyadvance

It turns me on; her playing video games.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#37  Edited By Little_Socrates

It's pretty cool to have them do so, but the real key is that she wouldn't mind. It wasn't really a problem for me in high school (even the "cool kids" play Super Smash Brothers) but I've also known a few people who either have no interest or have issue with games. Those people would probably need to share in some of my other (and, in some cases, larger) interests (books, movies, writing, music) in order for me to continue the relationship. It's not a relationship-killer if they're not into video games, but at the same time, it does make the barriers in that relationship stronger. If they were outright anti-games, I'd probably talk with them about it, and try to work out their issues with them. If they'd refuse to listen, they're not just anti-games; they're also completely ignorant and stubborn, just like those who would resist movies "because they're stupid and brainwash you." I'd probably leave her on the basis that she is hateful toward something I love and respect. 

All said, though, I play a lot less video games when I'm in a relationship. It's not out of expectancy or anything, the games just go down in priority against everything else going on in my life. When I'm in a relationship, I get highly productive, and so school work and literary pursuits rise in their necessity; I'm more productive, but also a little more frantic. When I'm single, I play more video games, and I listen to more music; I'm lazier, but I'm more laid back. So she definitely doesn't need to play the same types of games I play, or even really play; she just has to understand that it's what I do.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By MikkaQ

Eh girl games are usually pretty obnoxious and gross, like guy gamers. I tend to avoid all of them unless I'm on the internet. 

vendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39  Edited By vendetta

Not important that she plays, just important that she respects it as a hobby of mine. One of my exs was a huge bitch about it.