How much do you think I could sell my PC for?

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By Chummy8

I am unexpectedly getting a new computer this Friday and now I am faced with what to do with my existing, and still decent gaming PC. Aside from just giving it to a friend or striping it for parts, I thought about selling it. So, how much do you think I can sell this for in the USA? I was kinda thinking I could get at least $300 for this

Custom PC, built in 2017

Ryzen 5 1600

MSI B350 Tomahawk MB

16gb RAM

1TB SSD

GTX 1070 8GB

EVGA 650w PSU

No Caption Provided

nerozerohero99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

yea definately 300 that 1070 is atleast worth 140 it all depends where you plan to sell it

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll give ya 15 for it.

But yeah, you could probably get 300, maybe even 400 for it (although given that it's got some mileage on the parts, I probably wouldn't ask for $400).

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Three bills seems like an entirely reasonable price to ask. Maybe even ask four and see if you get some responses. They'll probably counter offer and you can negotiate.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

Keep it and do something else with it! You could use it as a file server or Plex server or something, or you could set it up as a living room gaming PC, or you could mess around with Linux, or just keep it in case you want to try something that you don't really want to try on your primary machine. Or just keep it in case something goes wrong with your primary machine.

...but if you do try to sell it, don't get impatient. Start at the most you think you can get for it ($500) and then negotiate and/or lower until you find a buyer.

EDIT: FELLAS. It's one bloody PC, not an LGR-style collection of thirty year old relics. It's still a rock-solid mid-range PC and a 1070 is no slouch at 1080 or 1440p even today. That means it is worth money, so if the guy wants to sell it that's perfectly valid. However, I don't think that the first reaction to getting a new PC should be to sell the old one if the old one is still as powerful as the one he's got. He's not going to get back anywhere near what he spent on it and I, personally, think keeping it has way more potential value than selling it, even if it does wind up being a box of spare parts in a closet "just in case".

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justin258: great advice here I think.

I would say don't sell it. Won't be worth the effort.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Efesell  Online

I’ve hung on to old machines with the rationale that oh this will be useful for something and the result is a closet with a bunch of relics that serve nothing.

I’d say trying for ~400 and expecting 300 is a fine idea.

Gundato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am definitely more on the hoarder side than not. But what I have started doing is actually disassembling older computers. Well, specifically I have started doing incremental updates and basically having a new case et al when I update the mobo.

But it is useful. I have a few old video cards and hard drives and ram in a box that I should probably throw away but won't. But I also have a spare PSU that was incredibly useful when my previous one decided to die one saturday morning. Swapped them out, put in a deal alert for a new one, and moved on in maybe forty minutes total. Same with going back to and old GPU years (decade?) ago when mine started to fail while still under warranty.

So yeah: if you are comfortable building your own rigs it might be worth only selling components. But you know you and if it weren't for covid I would have theoretically been able to just drive to best buy or whatever and still be good to go by that evening.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I part out and sell my old components every time I build a new PC. I usually keep the case or some other critical component, so rarely if ever have a full working system to unload.

I guess the question is how do you want to get rid of it? If you're comfortable selling locally, it's worth trying to sell the whole thing. If you plan to use a national marketplace of some sort, breaking it down and selling individual components makes a lot more sense. Shipping PC cases isn't worth the trouble.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Greg Salazar and other enthusiasts might be triggered, but I'd go for $500 at most but settle for something in the $400 range. I can't imagine that people are looking at first gen Ryzen, but the GTX 1070 might still be worth three digits.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By avantegardener

As a PC enthusiastic you must fill your house with antiquated components from the dawn of the computer age ... just in case. You must have at least one container of miscellaneous cables that haven’t been in popular circulation for close to a decade, this is very important. Your attic should full of old power supply’s and cases, old hard drives, ancient GFX cards and serial port motherboards.

Sell it as soon as possible, don’t make the mistake the rest of us are still paying for.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ToughShed

Its funny to me some of you guys don't have more than one computer or can think of a way to use more than one computer lol. My second computer did not go to waste at all, I moved it to the living room where it's great as a media storage and TV hooked up PC.

It can be done. Saying if you don't sell it its junk shows a real lack of imagination. Speak for yourselves I guess.

By all means sell it if you want but I'd love to see how much time it took to sell it for parts or whatever and how much you actually made back in the end. As i said, I don't think it'll be worth it at all.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toughshed: Eh. Once you've got a desktop/gaming PC covered and a file server covered, there just isn't that much need for more PCs. If I kept every system I've owned over the years, my house would basically be a parts bin. No, thanks.

Mid-to-high tier parts sell for enough that it's easily worth the trouble.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Efesell  Online

@toughshed: At a certain point though this just turns into convincing yourself to find reasons to hang on to things you really don't need and could just get out of your house for a bit of a return.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd say list it for $400 and anticipate it going for $300.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avantegardener: I don't necessarily hoard parts but I keep one or two extra components like gpus, psus or memory for diagnostic purposes to find if a part is going bad.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ghost_cat

Forget the money, how about a perfectly warmed s'mores Poptart and a foot massage? Cash is cash, but experiences are for life.

ToughShed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ToughShed

@efesell: @frytup: uhh I guess guys. Me and My roomates use my second, older computer as a living room desktop and media server every day and it works amazing. No wasted parts in my house.

You can find use for a PC if you want to. If you don't want to and lack imagination, yeah you won't use it.

LilNatureBoyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe $500. Not on eBay, but Facebook marketplace or something like that, for people that'd just buy anything called a computer that plays videogames as a gift for their nephew etc. and 500 is the kinda price those parents would set in their mind.

That's still a perfectly fine graphics card for games out today, great SSD, still great PSU, "timeless" case, presumably a windows license , yeah $500 is more than fair

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be better to sell the parts seperate IMO. Go on ebay and look them up and filter by "sold" to see what the range they sell for.