How much do you think whiskey media sold for?

• 139 results
kurtkless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By kurtkless

don't they have to disclose that stuff? CBS will probably put that out there in the near future, maybe not untill taxes are filed next year

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By TruthTellah

I hope it wasn't that big of a financial deal, as the deal wasn't as far-reaching as a full buy-out. So, of course they're not going to pay as much if Jeff and Ryan maintain a lot of the rights and control. I don't even know if Jeff may still have the rights to the name "Giant Bomb". It's a lot of speculation.

Thus, what we should hope for is that the price wasn't super high; otherwise, CBS will being expecting a lot more input on the direction of the site.

We don't know the current details of the deal though, outside of the hints we've gotten from Jeff. So, if they got full control, I hope it was a load of money, but if it was limited influence in the process, I imagine it wouldn't be as much.

As long as Jeff and Ryan are still in control of the primary direction of the site and video content, whatever they received will be worth it.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By TruthTellah

Also, I estimate they paid five gallons of regular unleaded gasoline.

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#104  Edited By the8bitNacho

@TruthTellah: So, basically, thats million bucks.

FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105  Edited By FesteringNeon

Right back up in ya motherfucking ass, 9-5 plus fo' pennies.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#106  Edited By TheMasterDS

Probably not enough.

On1inepersona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By On1inepersona

Everyone's old job back and a bigger green screen

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By TruthTellah

@Kombat:

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#109  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

1 dollar, Bob.

CrimsonNoir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#110  Edited By CrimsonNoir

15 million for GB and CV and 10 million for the others, all a wild guess.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#111  Edited By Winternet

775 million shares of THQ. So yeah, not that much.

Alpha1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#112  Edited By Alpha1

1 Chloe bananas!!!!!!!!!

PCWV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By PCWV

All of the planets, made payable directly to Giant Bomb Official Classic

Ragdrazi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Ragdrazi
@kurtkless said:

don't they have to disclose that stuff?

Not publicly, no.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By scarace360

@Ragdrazi said:

@kurtkless said:

don't they have to disclose that stuff?

Not publicly, no.

time to infiltrate CBSi.

Mars_Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Mars_Cleric

@B0nd07 said:

$775 Million

<>

Tamaster92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#117  Edited By Tamaster92

ONE BILLION DOLLARS... MUHAHAHA

hmmisee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By hmmisee

About Tree Fiddy'

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#119  Edited By sungahymn

How should I know?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#120  Edited By I_smell

One treasure map, and a knowing wink.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Wikitoups

Jeff only insisted that Shelby sell giant bomb for a billion pennies.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A pack of cigarettes and a date with Jake/Maggie Gyllenhaal.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Vexxan

One million brad bucks!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#124  Edited By MachoFantastico

Who knows! But sounds like they had a lot of interest from what Jeff was saying.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By alternate

Guessing is pointless when they never publicised how much investors put in to it over the years. In the current market I suspect they were happy to get their money back - maybe a small return on investment.

Seems the original plan was to grow a whole network of sites, like they did with cnet before'. However they started it when times were still booming and I think they realised just how much more money they would have to sink in to take it to the next level.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#126  Edited By Karmum

100 BILLION DOLLARS.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 year supply of tortilla chips, one Ms Pacman machine and one beautiful rug.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By Christoffer

1 bullet

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#129  Edited By damswedon

Anime Vice, Screened, and Tested probably sold for more than Giant Bomb, and Comic Vine as they come with the Whiskey Media tech.

Synthballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#130  Edited By Synthballs

@ajamafalous said:

@Synthballs said:

@B0nd07 said:

@FreakAche said:

Obligatory 775 million joke.

Beat you to it.

@iAmJohn said:

@SirPsychoSexy said:

4 websites, 250k a pop, that's million bucks

Thread over, we've achieved perfection here folks.

Except there were five websites. So, 200k a pop and that's million bucks.

@SpikeSpiegel said:

That reminds me, is Giant Bomb going to get a redesign or are they just going to remove the footer and the Whiskey Media emblem?

Eventually, yes. I'm pretty sure that was mentioned somewhere. And unlike who ever did Tested, I imagine Dave will take his time and make it look good.

Tested looks bloody awful.

I'm pretty sure I read in a Tested thread from Will/Norm that Andy & co. did the Tested redesign. So, ouch?

It doesn't matter who designed it, it doesn't change the fact it looks shit.

Avatar image for canadiantoastzombie
canadiantoastzombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

1 dollar Bob.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By MikkaQ

50 Gallons of Olde English and a some party cups.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#133  Edited By Jost1

An illegal sum of money, has anybody said this yet

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#134  Edited By mosespippy

CBS is a publicly traded company so we get some financial reports from time to time. Today is the day their quarterly report was released. Here is an excerpt from page 40

Investing Activities. Cash used for investing activities of $140 million for the three months ended March 31, 2012 principally reflected capital expenditures of $39 million, payments for acquisitions of $69 million primarily reflecting the acquisitions of a television station and a radio station, and investment in investee companies of $34 million. Cash used for investing activities of $103 million for the three months ended March 31, 2011 principally reflected capital expenditures of $41 million, payments for acquisitions of $53 million, primarily for internet businesses, and investments in investee companies of $26 million.

I'm certain that not all of the stated $53 million was for giant bomb/comic vine but I would wager that a large chunk of it was. If you look at last years annual report it shows that CBS paid 107 million for the acquisition of internet businesses (page 294 of annual report for date ended Dec 31, 2011). So they spent half of what they did last year in just the first three months of this year.

Note: I just glanced through the filings. There could be more specific information or other relevant information included that I have not found.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#135  Edited By Kidavenger

@mosespippy said:

CBS is a publicly traded company so we get some financial reports from time to time. Today is the day their quarterly report was released. Here is an excerpt from page 40

Investing Activities. Cash used for investing activities of $140 million for the three months ended March 31, 2012 principally reflected capital expenditures of $39 million, payments for acquisitions of $69 million primarily reflecting the acquisitions of a television station and a radio station, and investment in investee companies of $34 million. Cash used for investing activities of $103 million for the three months ended March 31, 2011 principally reflected capital expenditures of $41 million, payments for acquisitions of $53 million, primarily for internet businesses, and investments in investee companies of $26 million.

I'm certain that not all of the stated $53 million was for giant bomb/comic vine but I would wager that a large chunk of it was. If you look at last years annual report it shows that CBS paid 107 million for the acquisition of internet businesses (page 294 of annual report for date ended Dec 31, 2011). So they spent half of what they did last year in just the first three months of this year.

Note: I just glanced through the filings. There could be more specific information or other relevant information included that I have not found.

These sites have to generate a positive income to be worth anything more than the value of the domain name; I think it's pretty clear that none of them were accomplishing this and that's why whiskey media were actively soliciting offers for months before the sale. I would be surprised if any of the sites sold for more than $100k with tested likely pulling in the most. Giantbomb is worthless without Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny, a huge portion of the acquisition cost would be signing those guys to long-term contracts; imagine those guys left in a year from now and started largebomb.com, nobody would stay here, it would end up just like Screened.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#136  Edited By mosespippy

@Kidavenger said:

@mosespippy said:

These sites have to generate a positive income to be worth anything more than the value of the domain name; I think it's pretty clear that none of them were accomplishing this and that's why whiskey media were actively soliciting offers for months before the sale. I would be surprised if any of the sites sold for more than $100k with tested likely pulling in the most. Giantbomb is worthless without Jeff/Ryan/Brad/Vinny, a huge portion of the acquisition cost would be signing those guys to long-term contracts; imagine those guys left in a year from now and started largebomb.com, nobody would stay here, it would end up just like Screened.

The fact that 15 to 25% of giant bomb's traffic comes from search results says otherwise. People do a search, get the wiki in the results and come to the site and get served an ad. There is no need for any of the staff in that equation. Comic Vine gets roughly the same traffic but even more of it comes from search. CBSi also gets user data from the acquisition which they can sell wholesale or use to better target their ads which makes their ads more valuable.

Part of the cost is also the cost of purchasing an established brand. Why did facebook buy instagram for $1 Billion when they could have just coppied it? It wasn't to hire the 4 people who work at instagram. It was because instagram already has a grip on the market and it would have been cheaper to buy them than to create and market an equally successful competitor. They want to advertise to the established audience and CBS wants to do the same with Giant Bomb.

The other three whiskey media sites likely went for less because their audience is smaller so there is less advertising value. They likely got some extra value since the wiki technology went with them but that is not worth as much in the long run.

One of the reasons Whiskey Media was likely losing money was because they were not established enough to get large scale advertising deals. CBS is a huge corporation that has been in advertising for decades. When they talk to other corporations about ads they are listened to.

As for your $100k valuation, if you look at the subscriber numbers and the cost of a subscription and the fact that 98% of subscriptions came from giant bomb then $100k is easily exceeded for giant bomb.

TEHMAXXORZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By TEHMAXXORZ

17 trillion dollars.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By YOUNGLINK

they were sold for the price of a smile :D

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By uniform

A gazillion lion dollars.

No Caption Provided
mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By mandude

A nice round tenner and a firm handshake.