How much kilometer per hour over the speed limit is too much?

• 117 results
mx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Edited By mx

Poll How much kilometer per hour over the speed limit is too much? (356 votes)

0-5 21%
6-10 18%
10-15 22%
16-20 15%
21-25 8%
THERE IS NO SPEED LIMIT (26 and up) 11%
Show me the results 6%

I am asking this because I was driving on the freeway lately and I was doing around 20 KPH over the speed limit, which was 120 KPH. Which by my standards is already kind of fast. But there was stil a car behind me, bugging me to get back to the right lane so he could pass. So my question is How much over the limit is too much?

• 
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

How long until some variation of "THIS IS MRIKA!"?

Pointing out miles instead of kilometers counts.

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

Where I live, the cops don't start ticketing until around 7mph above. The fast lane usually receives a break from this, unless you call attention to yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't do 15mph over.

IAmNotBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By IAmNotBatman

Where I live, the cops don't start ticketing until around 7mph above. The fast lane usually receives a break from this, unless you call attention to yourself.

Personally, I wouldn't do 15mph over.

This.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The speed limit here is only 100km/h while the next province over it is 110, which is still less than 70 miles per hour. It's incredibly slow considering how much distance there is between towns here. Of course, it's that low because the roads are shit.

If the weather is clear and the roads are dry then 120 - 135 is typical for me.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Legally? Breaking the law is breaking the law, because it's the law.

Otherwise, there is no magical "right" number for speeding. What matters it that you go with the flow of traffic and practice safe driving, whatever the appropriate speed for that may be at the time. If everyone is going 75 in a 65, go 75. If everyone is going 65 and you're weaving in and out of traffic to go 75, fuck you.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

Once I hit the Highway I put it up to 110 and set in cruise control and never take it off unless I get in some weird combination of assholes driving super slow in both lanes and I need to turn it off. Unless it's to pass one of the above mentioned I see no reason to ever go over the 110 limit. An extra couple KMPH will not get you where you need to go in any amount of time worth risking a ticket. From the RCMP I have talked to, they usually only go for people going 10-15 above, and they often turn a blind eye if they see you are just passing someone and going that fast. Though it depends on the mood they are in as technically any amount over the limit is grounds for them to give you a ticket if you act like a dipshit to them.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

10 KPH in communities, 20-30 KPH on the highway. If a car is trying to pass you on the highway, get out of the way and let him do his thing.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Darji

In Germany it is 10% if your speed is more than 10% over the speed limit you have to pay if you are getting caught.^^

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I've never been pulled over for doing less than 15 MPH over.

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. Well the highways around here are 100 KPH. So most go like 120 and that's okay. Anything over that is pretty bad in my book.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Usually I go 5 - 10. If a cop is behind me I try to stay at the limit while getting anxious cause seat belts suck and I never wear em.

Killerfridge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where I live (England) , 10% over the speed limit is the maximum.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 10% Rule is typically a good standard. Any more than ten percent of the given speed limit is overdoing it.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By jkz

10 mph over is considered the safe limit here, basically (camera's operate on that assumption, and you get PBJ for any tickets given within that range if you catch a cop on a bad day). But I use my judgement. On back, residential roads during the day I stick to the speed limit for the most part, but on the highway I usually just aim for 10mph over and cruise there. Only gotten one ticket in all my time driving.

When I've spent time living in europe I've driven with the same assumption (~ 15kmph over, basically) and while that pissed off some hurried people in Germany and Hungary, for the most part it fared me well

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

Otherwise, there is no magical "right" number for speeding. What matters it that you go with the flow of traffic and practice safe driving, whatever the appropriate speed for that may be at the time. If everyone is going 75 in a 65, go 75. If everyone is going 65 and you're weaving in and out of traffic to go 75, fuck you.

If everyone is going 75 in a 65 and you go 75 to "keep up with the traffic" you're just being an idiot. Likewise, if you weave in and out of traffic at speeds unfit for the road just to get home 2 minutes earlier, you're an idiot that eventually will get someone killed.

That being said, I don't mind people that go fast as long as they do it on roads suited for that and in a manner that's well planned. I don't want someone passing me on my left just as the 2 lane road turns into a single lane but before that, drive by me for all I care. Nor do I want to see people fly by a school at 60 when it's 30 for a reason.

But if you're out driving on a freeway at 120 and a douchy BMW comes up behind you at 200, let him break just to piss him off and then go in. Fuck those guys, the rules don't apply to them.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I got teh speed limit or 5 mph above on highways. On secondary roads that are 40 MPH I might go 50, if I know the road. During bad weather, like rain I go the speed limit. For really bad weather I do slow down to 10mph below the speed limit or as slow as seems safe. I have been caught on the road during a full gale blizzard and that sucks, it sucks for drivers, and public safety people who just don't need you in their way.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wow, it depends for me. Highway I go with the flow of traffic in the passing lane sort of speak but on local roads it depends on whether or not cops regularly patrol it.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If I'm on an empty highway I make sure to stay a few miles below reckless endangerment. In town I go the speed limit.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Depends. On small roads or areas with kids... Don't speed you fuck.

On large roads with bad sight, maybe 5 tops?

Large empty roads with good vision. Go nuts, whatever man.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#21  Edited By StarvingGamer

@pezen said:

@starvinggamer said:

If everyone is going 75 in a 65 and you go 75 to "keep up with the traffic" you're just being an idiot.

Yeah, if you don't want to go 75 then get in the slow lane. That's just common sense.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

@malphye said:

cause seat belts suck and I never wear em.

I say do yourself a favor and get used to wearing them. Ya never know when some idiot is going to pull out in front of you and make you wreck(happened to my mom and me a few years ago). He just suddenly pulled out from a gas station while we were driving by. His SUV ended up upside down. He was also driving with a suspended license.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: I think we had two different images on how that road looked in your point. I agree that you're not supposed to be in the fast lane holding up traffic, no matter the speed limit. I was merely commenting on a pretty prevalent mentality that it's better to "stick with traffic speed than speed limit" because of some idea that it's safer to drive faster because everyone else is than drive the appropriate speed.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep it within 10 to 20 km over the limit. You're not gonna get pulled over unless the cop is a prick. That doesn't count for being in town or a school zone obv.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you've got some time, look up the demarcation points for the different amounts of demerit points you get at different speeds over the limit. Pick one point you like, and try to never exceed the limit by more than that amount.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad
deactivated-5b8316ffae7ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I live in Southern California - the freeway system here is pretty crucial to getting around and so cops are much more lenient with speeding tickets.

The speed limit on freeways is usually 65mph, but the normal flow of traffic usually drives at around 70-75 across all lanes. On the fast lanes and carpool lanes, people usually go 80mph (130kph) without getting tickets. Drivers even get sort of aggressive if you are only driving 65mph and aren't in the slowest possible lane.

mjk0104

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In general, the rule I use is about 10%, with the obvious exceptions, wet weather, school zones, etc. As well as if your driving in the outback, where it's just go as fast as you want to while maintaining a reasonable level of safety.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

One word: Autobahn ... no speed limit (most of the time). Then again I live in Switzerland were 120 kph is max and everyone adheres to this 95% of the time (so do I).

Huey2k2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pezen:

I'm sorry but in what world does driving with traffic make you an "idiot"?

If general traffic is going faster then the speed limit, is is more dangerous to go slow then it is to go at the same speed of the traffic. I don't see how you can logically think anything different. Feel free to drive at whatever speed you want, but don't sit there and pretend that going with traffic is not safer then going noticeably slower then traffic is.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ben_H

Over 10% for anything 50 KM/h or over. Over 20% for anything under 50KM/h.

School zones, anything over is too much. I see far too many reckless people speeding through school zones these days even after the police cracked down on it.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I like going unlimited miles per hour.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

For whatever reason, in my current car, I pretty much stay right on the the limit. It's not intentional, but any time I look at the speedometer it's right at whatever the posted limit it. However, if I am over, I try to keep at 10 km/h or less

Brenderous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"How much kilometer per hour..."

wtfisthiseven.gif

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#34  Edited By tearhead

It depends on what speed your comfortable at. On a highway I know well that has a speed limit of 80/kmph and has little to no traffic I can comfortably go up to 100 and don't feel like I'm "speeding."

Thedrbrian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Get out of my fucking way. Stay in the right lane

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Pezen

@huey2k2: Because traffic isn't right. When all cars go above the speed limit, all the cars are exceeding the recommended limit for that given road. Which means, every car is driving past the safety limit. Which means, it's not technically safe driving. The fact that all cars are unsafe in tandem with each other is nothing short of absurd.

In that scenario, if one car drives legally it will have one of two side effects; it will slow the overall speed of the traffic down or cars that want to go faster will pass that car. And if you make a judgement to pass a slower moving vehicle, that vehicle is not responsible for your actions. And if you decide to tailgate that car, it's not that car that's being a complete safety hazard.

I am not saying driving slow is acceptable if the speed at which you're driving is disruptive to the flow of the traffic within the context of the speed limit but it is perfectly acceptable and safe to drive at a recommended speed even if everyone else need to rush like complete tools.

That being said, I am sure there are extremely specific moments where rules do go out the window for the sake of safety, but those are generally not common enough to warrant it as a good rule of thumb for all driving. They are situational at best.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

10 ; more than that is way too much , unless you are passing , the faster the better I say.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My mom always told me that as long as you're within 5 miles of the speed limit, you're all right. So for the purpose of this poll, let me put in some numbers to google...

Alright, 5 miles = 8 kilometers, so between 6-10 kilometers.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't speed. Cops are dicks.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By Deranged

The most I'll go over the speed limit is 10 KPH and that's usually because of eager traffic in the morning. On the highway/expressway, I just hit 110, roll through the right line and let pull fly past me for all I care.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#41  Edited By Kidavenger

It really depends on the speed limit how much over to go, in a neighbourhood, I don't speed at all, I'm probably under the limit, on the highway 110-120 is a good speed, 130 would be pushing it. You have to consider the conditions too, snow or rain, slow it down, lots of cars on the road, keep pace unless everyone is going retarded fast (Toronto), if you are a shitty/new/iliveinthecitywhatishighway driver or your car is a poorly maintained shit box, you probably shouldn't be speeding at all.

I once received a ticket for going 180 in an 80, it was a long time ago and I don't do anything like that anymore; I would recommend people not try that one out, it's a bad scene.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• road condition & weather
  • mechanical condition of the car esp. suspension and tires
  • speed of other traffic on the road
  • night or day

But generally if you are in the passing lane and you are obstructing traffic GTFO of the way.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recall getting some kind of letter a few years back that outlined changes to various rules - one of those was the change to the "rounding error" speed, it was 5 and it was taken down to 3mph. If I'm on the highway I keep the needle between 60 and 65. Unless everyone else is going 75, which is usually the case.

ilikepopcans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MPH over here.

I just got a ticket for 66 on 55 soooo.

I think the speed limit is kindof arbitrary so I don't mind going over somewhat. But I try not to go over more then 10 MPH at most.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#45  Edited By Kidavenger

@pezen said:

every car is driving past the safety limit.

You really think that exceeding speed limits that were set 50 years ago in a modern car is "driving past the limit of safety"

It's ridiculous that speed limits on highways are what they are now; it's understandable, no one is ever going to put their neck out to increase limits, but it's silly to think that with the advances in safety features and tire/brake technology over the last 50 years that a car going over 100kph is automatically unsafe.

If they set the limits to be reasonable and the cops had zero tolerance on speeding, things would be better in my book.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

There are always those assholes who will get annoyed and try to pass you, no matter the speed you're going. I've gone like 80mph in a 70mph area and still had people going upwards of 90mph trying to get around me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the legal law here is 3+10% of the limit over is when you can be charged.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I've lived and drove in both Europe and US and I've always kept to a 10km/10mph limit for speeding. As in if the limit is 50 in the area then I'll go maximum of 60.

Unless everyone else is going way over then I go with the flow because it's more dangerous to be go slower than to keep pace with all the other cars.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By senrat

When im going from point A to point B I generally stay around 100 kph which is about 10 kph above our local speed limits for efficiency reasons. Going over that makes gas mileage go down and I drive an economy car. If I had a BMW M5 or AMG product going 100 kph would feel like nothing and I would probably go much faster. Im always surprised at how fast people drive large suvs and trucks. I see more F-150 go by me at a high rate of speed then anything. At high speeds unaerodynamic vehicles just guzzle fuel.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is mrika