How to enjoy retro games on their own merits

ausroller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By ausroller

I recently came across this article http://www.bspcn.com/2008/06/09/the-best-n64-games-that-still-matter-today/ which discusses Nintendo 64 games that are still relevant today and it got me thinking about our old systems. Everyone likes playing their favourite childhood games and a great deal of the enoyment comes from the nostalgia of it. How much enjoyment comes from the game mechanics themselves? I love Goldeneye as much as anyone but who can honestly say that it's a better shooter than Call of Duty 4? I feel that this phenomenon only applies to the N64 generation though, because to me games on the SNES are still unrivalled in terms of what they do. When I play Donkey Kong Country 2 or Super Mario World I'm not playing it because I enjoyed it when I was younger (well, partly), I'm playing it because they're still the best 2D platformers ever released. So what older games are still the pinnacle of their genre to you? Which older games would you choose to play over a newer one based solely on how fun it is and not on the good memories you have of playing it?

ausroller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ausroller

I recently came across this article http://www.bspcn.com/2008/06/09/the-best-n64-games-that-still-matter-today/ which discusses Nintendo 64 games that are still relevant today and it got me thinking about our old systems. Everyone likes playing their favourite childhood games and a great deal of the enoyment comes from the nostalgia of it. How much enjoyment comes from the game mechanics themselves? I love Goldeneye as much as anyone but who can honestly say that it's a better shooter than Call of Duty 4? I feel that this phenomenon only applies to the N64 generation though, because to me games on the SNES are still unrivalled in terms of what they do. When I play Donkey Kong Country 2 or Super Mario World I'm not playing it because I enjoyed it when I was younger (well, partly), I'm playing it because they're still the best 2D platformers ever released. So what older games are still the pinnacle of their genre to you? Which older games would you choose to play over a newer one based solely on how fun it is and not on the good memories you have of playing it?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

For me, most older games have been surpassed already.

There are a few though:

Rocket Jockey is still the best rocket-bikes-with-grappling-hooks Deathmatch game...and as far as I know, the only one.

Space Harrier is still the best dude-with-a-plasma-gun-just-flying-into-the-screen-shooting-floating-heads-and-cat-dragons game.

Zombie Nation is still the best giant-undead-samurai-head-flying-through-the-city-spitting-fireballs-and-eating-people game.

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By cdfishman

tetris on the game boy is still the best  puzzle game.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks

Saturn Bomberman
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike/DI
Soul Calibur
LoZ:OoT
Metroid Prime

cdfishman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By cdfishman
@Linkyshinks said:
" Saturn BombermanStreet Fighter 3: Third Strike/DILoZ:OoT "
how could I forget Oot! 

silly me.
ausroller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ausroller
@Hamst3r: Oh man, Rocket Jockey! I got the demo on one of those demo CDs you get with $2 kid's magazines. I played that demo so much. I'm off to see if I can find a shareware version.
Nerje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Nerje

I think what you say about the SNES being the pinnacle of it's form is right on point.  I think in some ways the GBA managed to expand upon what it achieved but ultimately I think in terms of 2D gaming it will never be surpassed.  The PlayStation and N64 laid the foundation for the type of gaming we are still experiencing today.  The article you linked to leaves GoldenEye in the honourable mentions list and to me that seems the right thing to do - it totally blew my mind at the time, but going back to it now after experiencing the sublime fluidity and action of the Halo series (and it's contemporaries) I find it awkward and cumbersome.  I would, however, give it a lot of merit based on how well it managed to capture the essence of stealth and cunning, a feel that has not been matched by any FPS since (except maybe Perfect Dark).

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I almost only enjoy old games based on nostalgia. And no-one has ever made as good adventure games or games with humor than Lucas arts.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CL60

I prefer Goldeneye to Call of Duty.

Sepultallica86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By Sepultallica86

goldeneye in its time was wonderful, but going back now its kind of hard to play with only one analog and using the c buttons for strafing, but its still really fun to play when you get totally baked with your buds.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Coombs