I don't understand why people drink alcohol

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RJay_64

Well in some sense I do.  "to have fun"  "to release inhibitions".  But if you need alcohol to do something, isn't there an underlying problem with you in the first place?  "I need poison to do this, or I can't do it." Is that the right logic to use?

The only reason I'd drink alcohol is if I was at a party (which I rarely am) just to not look different and strange.  But I wouldn't be enjoying it.  I'd just be sipping the cup in little amounts for as long as possible, to make it look like I was enjoying it, when really I'd only drink it to fit in. 

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By trophyhunter

they want to be drunk and forget about how much their lives suck

Avatar image for thecreamfilling
TheCreamFilling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By TheCreamFilling

I will never drink alcohol. I've seen what it did to my father and I don't want to end up like that. 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By KaosAngel

You find out how girls really are on the inside, so it helps when you're older and looking for a potentional wife.  >.>

EDIT:  Same works for guys who show their true side to women, I just picked the first way...becasue I'm a dude who is into girls.

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Hourai

I'm a quiet person, so it's never a bad idea to drink when with friends since it makes me a lot more social. 

I also like the taste of most alcohol, and yes, the relaxed feeling you get after a few beers is always good. 

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By GreggD
@TheCreamFilling: Your avatar is either totally appropriate, or incredibly ironic. I'm not sure which.
sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sopranosfan

" I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day."
Dean Martin

Nuff said.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By ninjakiller
@KaosAngel said:
"   EDIT:  Same works for guys who show their true side to women, I just picked the first way...becasue I'm a dude who is isn't girls. "

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9  Edited By KaosAngel
@ninjakiller: I fixed it.  >.>
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

I drink with friends because it's fun, it can make an already great time even better.

You're very very very naive if you think people only drink because they "need too" or to forget how much fail their life is.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By yani

...nuff said

edit:  Black Books is amazing
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By oldschool

I have no idea either.  It tastes truly horrid - all of it.  I am yet to find a completely truthful person who loved alcohol from the first drink.  They just keep doing it to "fit in" and eventually acquire a taste for it.  You can acquire a like of just about anything if you keep doing it, but pure logic says to me that it is a stupid concept.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kishan6

have you tried drinking? 
it doesnt make everything good 
it jsut makes everything BETTER

Darkstar614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Darkstar614

Most people don't "need" to drink alcohol. The ones that do, obviously have a problem. I make the choice to drink, and I could also make the choice to not. It's definitely fun at parties and such. Pretty boring alone though.

At first I didn't really get it either, but you understand eventually I want to say? I don't know how exactly it happens.

Edit about taste: It's weird how it works. Most liquor is pretty horrible, but because it has such a high percentage of alcohol people find ways to keep it down whether that is mixing it or making something else with it. Beer is the weird exception because it actually doesn't have that immediately revolting "kick" that most liquor does. It is very easy to drink, and it can be refreshing because of it being cold, which is why warm beer is disgusting as hell.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Rowr

your 14 years old rite?

It helps people to relax and be sociable, and theres a wide range of flavours to enjoy. It's a good time to a point.

I feel bad for this thread, theres alot of disturbing and immature answers to the op.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai
@oldschool said:
" I have no idea either.  It tastes truly horrid - all of it.  I am yet to find a completely truthful person who loved alcohol from the first drink.  They just keep doing it to "fit in" and eventually acquire a taste for it.  You can acquire a like of just about anything if you keep doing it, but pure logic says to me that it is a stupid concept. "
Yet people drink coffee so you must hate them too.
Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Trilogy

Because I enjoy the buzz and because I enjoy the taste of a good beer or mixed drink.

There's a pretty big difference between needing to drink and wanting to drink and I think you don't really understand that yet.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By oldschool
@Jeffsekai said:
" @oldschool said:
" I have no idea either.  It tastes truly horrid - all of it.  I am yet to find a completely truthful person who loved alcohol from the first drink.  They just keep doing it to "fit in" and eventually acquire a taste for it.  You can acquire a like of just about anything if you keep doing it, but pure logic says to me that it is a stupid concept. "
Yet people drink coffee so you must hate them too. "
What crawled up your arse?  Where did I say that I hate people who drink alcohol?  My partner drinks wine because she likes it, but even she admits she didn't like alcohol, but acquired the taste eventually, confirming it was about peer pressure and a desire to be an "adult". 

And yes, I hate coffee.  I can't stand the smell either.  Same thing as alcohol, as in you acquire the taste with persistence.  However, with coffee, I have been involved in selling millions of dollars of it over the last 11 years, so it pays my bills.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai
@oldschool: Must have been how I read the post.
ooofafa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By ooofafa
@kishan6: except for boning
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FacelessVixen

♪I just, love vod-ka, and lots of rum!! ♪

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By EthanML

You'll grow into it.

yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By yani

@oldschool said:

"  It tastes truly horrid - all of it.  I am yet to find a completely truthful person who loved alcohol from the first drink. 

John Smiths when I was 17.  First sip was kinda funky (I have issues with beer foam) but after that I liked it.   Can't stand tea and coffee though, makes people very confused.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HitmanAgent47
@RJay_64: Some ppl uses it to escape from life for a while, being drunk, just like how we do that with videogames. Also women in general has this stuck up mind and stuff, it loosens their thoughts and makes them put out more. That's why ppl likes alchohol. Actually no one likes it, it's more of an aquired taste after a while.
robownz7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By robownz7

It makes an otherwise boring night of cards into an orgy with all ur friends. Why wouldn't you drink alcohol.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#26  Edited By sjschmidt93
@KaosAngel said:
becasue I'm a dude who is into girls
So you're like every guy?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HandsomeDead
@SJSchmidt93 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
So you're like every guy? "
Don't homosexuals exist?
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#28  Edited By sjschmidt93
@HandsomeDead said:
" @SJSchmidt93 said:
" @KaosAngel said:
So you're like every guy? "
Don't homosexuals exist? "
Okay fine, every guy is attracted to some gender. Or both genders.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Evilsbane
@yani:  I think I need to watch that show every time someone brings it up I get stuck on POS website (youtube) watching clips from the show.

Also Alcohol is great, ANYTHING is bad when overdone. And YES I Love the taste of beer and trying different beers, yes most Liquor taste like hot fire going down your throat but that is why they invented Orange Juice and Vodka *sips*
skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By skrutop

I'm sort of drunk right now.  Rum 'n Coke + Red Dead Redemption = not a bad combo.  You'll get it when you're older.  Or not.  Whatever, just don't preach to people either way, OP.

btw, my wife is WAY more fun when she's drunk.

Avatar image for peepeepoopoo696
peepeepoopoo696

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By peepeepoopoo696

Because they can.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By frankfartmouth

It's not the same reasons for everybody. Some people drink to fit in, sure, but most people drink for the effect, nothing more. I don't think anyone sits down and says, "I'm going to poison myself now." Sure, it is essentially poison, but it's usually not anything your body can't handle, and you obviously build up a tolerance. So then it's more, "I'm going to get shitfaced and have a good time and forget about all my worries and inhibitions and hangups for a little while."  A lot of people just have 2 or 3 after work a few days a week, and maybe tie em off every few weekends. A lot of people do more, a lot of people do less. A lot of people only drink wine with dinner because of the way it complements certain types of food.  

Quite variable

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By RobotHamster

I don't drink or smoke and I hope I never will.  I'm already older and have been to parties where I just didn't drink and of course there were people who would say "aww come on" but I don't fall to peer pressure, so whatever you choose to do is your own decision.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RJay_64
@Rowr said:
" your 14 years old rite?  It helps people to relax and be sociable, and theres a wide range of flavours to enjoy. It's a good time to a point.  I feel bad for this thread, theres alot of disturbing and immature answers to the op. "
I'm 27.  I've been to enough college parties in my life to observe what alcohol does to people.  I've seen enough of them to know I don't like being around drunks.  It deattracts me to a girl if I know she likes alcohol. 
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#35  Edited By Bones8677

I only occasionally drink alcohol. It's not that great tasting, although I have only tried a few brands. It works pretty well when I'm stressed out or really agitated, but I don't depend on it nor do I drink large quantities, usually a single bottle is enough to calm my nerves.

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RJay_64
@robownz7 said:
" It makes an otherwise boring night of cards into an orgy with all ur friends. Why wouldn't you drink alcohol. "
to protect myself from liver disease
Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#37  Edited By Rowr
@RJay_64 said:
" @Rowr said:
" your 14 years old rite?  It helps people to relax and be sociable, and theres a wide range of flavours to enjoy. It's a good time to a point.  I feel bad for this thread, theres alot of disturbing and immature answers to the op. "
I'm 27.  I've been to enough college parties in my life to observe what alcohol does to people.  I've seen enough of them to know I don't like being around drunks.  It deattracts me to a girl if I know she likes alcohol.  "
Sounds like someone has a bad case of the "socially outcast".

You come off as having a very clouded and personally uninformed view on the matter and its hard to see maturity in that.

Theres a difference between drinking and drunks. A difference between responsible use of alcohol, and retarded american college kids.

Your narrow judgement on the issue is dissapointing.
Rebirth1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rebirth1337

I enjoy alcohol a good bit. The reason I drink is to have a little fun. Hanging out with some friends drinking is always fun to me. I enjoy going to parties as well.

SSValis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SSValis
@sopranosfan said:
"  " I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin    Nuff said. "
the same thing can be said about crack or heroine 
PushThePig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PushThePig

Some people need to grow up. Some people will drink, some people wont. To make judgements based on whether one drinks or not is ridiculous, and most people can get along just fine casually drinking. Of course I am not encouraging drinking, especially since it can do some horrible things to people, especially people who get addicted to it. But, it is just a drug like any other prescription drug people are prescribed.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MMkain

Its awesome to get shitfaced with people and have a good time. Its also a great way to make friends, particularly with people you might not otherwise socialize with.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

God, sometimes I wish I didn't have access to the internet.  Oh, and an internet forum about video games is a great place to talk about social interaction. 

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By mano521

people drink alcohol to loosen up. i dont know if youve ever been buzzed or drunk before, but if you were you would know why some people like to drink. its true that the people who need alcohol to have fun or relax have some kind of problem. but drinking to have fun isnt bad at all

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Afroman269

I only drink a bit but I don't care for binging. It's stupid.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ryanwho

I like alcohol cus I like women.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#46  Edited By sopranosfan
@SSValis said:
" @sopranosfan said:
"  " I feel sorry for people who don't drink. They wake up in the morning and that's the best they're going to feel all day." Dean Martin    Nuff said. "
the same thing can be said about crack or heroine  "
touche, but I have been drinking casually on the weekends for years and I doubt there are any casual crack or heroine users that have only been fixing on the weekend for years. 
jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jos1ah

In my experience some of it really tastes good and goes with certain foods well. Some of it is an acquired taste like coffee. There are also healthy aspects of alcoholic drinks in moderation, and it definitely helps a person unwind after a long day. But I'll agree that abusing it is just foolishness. Sure...sometimes a drunk is good for a laugh, but most times it ain't helpin his dignity.

jos1ah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jos1ah

In my experience some of it really tastes good and goes with certain foods well. Some of it is an acquired taste like coffee. There are also healthy aspects of alcoholic drinks in moderation, and it definitely helps a person unwind after a long day. But I'll agree that abusing it is just foolishness. Sure...sometimes a drunk is good for a laugh, but most times it ain't helpin his dignity.    

RJay_64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By RJay_64
@mano521 said:
" people drink alcohol to loosen up. i dont know if youve ever been buzzed or drunk before, but if you were you would know why some people like to drink. its true that the people who need alcohol to have fun or relax have some kind of problem. but drinking to have fun isnt bad at all "
I've drank before.  Maybe not enough, cause it only seems like I'd be doing it cause people are telling me to do it.  

From a logical viewpoint, it doesn't make sense.  What if no one was drinking alcohol?  Would people still do it? 
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#50  Edited By cstrang

I recall this EXACT topic being posted some months ago...