I know, it's been a while...

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce
I've been wanting to post a music blog for a while now, but I have been in a 'Fuck That!' mood. Not due to being busy, (Actually, I don't have to do a damn thing for about another two weeks) but because of the weather. It has been hot and sunny during the day, and then hot with thunderstorms at night. It has been like this for about a week here in New York City. Anyway, let's get started.

The first thing that I want to talk about is 'Hospice' by The Antlers. The Antlers are an Indie-Rock/Folk group from Brooklyn, New York; they are led by Peter Silberman. This is the band's debut record, (EDIT: The band has released material dating back to 2006, but none of it is available to me at the moment...most of it seems to be just EPs though) and it could not be any stronger. 'Hospice' is a concept album, released August 18th 2009, that reminds me a ton of Lou Reed's 'Berlin', another tragic concept album. The record was made after a two-year stint of social alienation in New York by Silberman, the band's singer. 'Hospice' follows the story of a husband staying in a hospice with his wife, as she dies of bone-cancer. It's a very interesting listen so far, (I still need to get around to finishing it) and I really like the writing:

(Taken from the song "Bear")  
"We're terrified of one another.
And terrified of what that means.
But we'll make only quick decisions.
And you'll just keep my in the waiting room.
And all the while I'll know we're fucked.
And not getting unfucked soon.
When we get home we're bigger strangers than we've ever been before.
You sit in front of snowy television, suitcase on the floor."

While the album art could have been a bit more powerful, (It looks like a newspaper comic) this album seems to have a ton of potential. It's also sitting at an 86% overall on Metacritic.

Reverb. Reverb. Reverb. MORE FUCKING REVERB! Similar to Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek", Le Loup's "Planes like Vultures" seemed to be yet another experiment with a Reverbed vocal acapella carrying an entire song. Le Loup have been described as being similar to Animal Collective and even Arcade Fire, but this song sounds way more like something The Shins would come out with than either of the aforementioned bands. It's an interesting little piece, albeit not having the greatest video in the world...

Speaking of The Shins, it's The Ruby Suns! A band that has toured with The Shins. Last year, they released 'Sea Lion', which contained the single "Kenya, Dig It". While the band seems to enjoy stea...borrowing scores from every animated/fantasy film ever produced, they have a knack for taking these borrowed sounds and making original concepts out of them. Oh well, at least New Zealand has something beside Flight of the Conchords going for it.  

A few weeks back, I posted the song "Half Asleep", by School of Seven Bells. That song effectively used one large, wordy run-on sentence into one of the best Dream-Pop records of the year. Asobi Seksu's "Thursday", sounds very similar, at least in conception, to the type of music that School of Seven Bells have been putting out. (Ironic because this song is nearly three years old) There's a lot to like about Asobi Seksu: For one, their name means "Casual Sex" in Japanese; they also have a knack for making really interesting dream-pop/shoegazing records. I don't know why so many people are doing the whole 'Dream-Pop' thing lately, but if a band like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs can use it to save themselves, (It's Blitz! was awesome) I'd like to see it stick around.

Lastly, here are some bullets:

- My verdict on the new Muse album: DO YOU LIKE QUEEN, AND IF SO, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN PRETENTIOUS CONSPIRACY THEORY DRIVEN LYRICS? If yes, then by all means, purchase the new Muse record. (And to think, they were my favorite band in 2006)

- St. Vincent's 'Marry Me' isn't as good as 'Actor', but it's still damn good:

Annie Clark has had two classic-level records in a period of under three years. Is there anything that this woman can't do? And not to be mean, but I hear a lot of people refer to St. Vincent in my blog as a band: St. Vincent is NOT a band; it is a moniker for Annie Clark, the woman pictured above....you know, the talented and lovely woman who writes and composes all of her music. That isn't an attack on the manufactured pop-stars of the world; they serve a purpose as well. (Elvis didn't write any of the songs on his first record, think about that for a bit)

- Unrelated to music, but I'm at the end of the first disc in FF7 for the first time, yay! I wonder what's going to happen to Aeris.. (Kidding of course)

- Summer music releases have been sparse, but if you're in to Throw Me at the Statue, they have a new record out. 'Hospice' is the only thing I've found this summer worth listening to.

I'll leave you guys with some brain-dead lyrics courtesy of Interpol's Paul Banks, taken from his 'Julian Plenti is...Skyscraper' album.

(The song is called "Girl on the Sporting News")

"Girl on the sporting news
I just wanna tell you one thing
you've got the kind of sex appeal
that doesnt get a guy like me down.

So bring it up
Bring clips of the sexiest sports moves in for the score
Fill it up
Fill minutes up
And talk about that glorious season
Until I'm sore.

Light my love away
Bye bye
Ride my love away
Bye bye."
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce
I've been wanting to post a music blog for a while now, but I have been in a 'Fuck That!' mood. Not due to being busy, (Actually, I don't have to do a damn thing for about another two weeks) but because of the weather. It has been hot and sunny during the day, and then hot with thunderstorms at night. It has been like this for about a week here in New York City. Anyway, let's get started.

The first thing that I want to talk about is 'Hospice' by The Antlers. The Antlers are an Indie-Rock/Folk group from Brooklyn, New York; they are led by Peter Silberman. This is the band's debut record, (EDIT: The band has released material dating back to 2006, but none of it is available to me at the moment...most of it seems to be just EPs though) and it could not be any stronger. 'Hospice' is a concept album, released August 18th 2009, that reminds me a ton of Lou Reed's 'Berlin', another tragic concept album. The record was made after a two-year stint of social alienation in New York by Silberman, the band's singer. 'Hospice' follows the story of a husband staying in a hospice with his wife, as she dies of bone-cancer. It's a very interesting listen so far, (I still need to get around to finishing it) and I really like the writing:

(Taken from the song "Bear")  
"We're terrified of one another.
And terrified of what that means.
But we'll make only quick decisions.
And you'll just keep my in the waiting room.
And all the while I'll know we're fucked.
And not getting unfucked soon.
When we get home we're bigger strangers than we've ever been before.
You sit in front of snowy television, suitcase on the floor."

While the album art could have been a bit more powerful, (It looks like a newspaper comic) this album seems to have a ton of potential. It's also sitting at an 86% overall on Metacritic.

Reverb. Reverb. Reverb. MORE FUCKING REVERB! Similar to Imogen Heap's "Hide and Seek", Le Loup's "Planes like Vultures" seemed to be yet another experiment with a Reverbed vocal acapella carrying an entire song. Le Loup have been described as being similar to Animal Collective and even Arcade Fire, but this song sounds way more like something The Shins would come out with than either of the aforementioned bands. It's an interesting little piece, albeit not having the greatest video in the world...

Speaking of The Shins, it's The Ruby Suns! A band that has toured with The Shins. Last year, they released 'Sea Lion', which contained the single "Kenya, Dig It". While the band seems to enjoy stea...borrowing scores from every animated/fantasy film ever produced, they have a knack for taking these borrowed sounds and making original concepts out of them. Oh well, at least New Zealand has something beside Flight of the Conchords going for it.  

A few weeks back, I posted the song "Half Asleep", by School of Seven Bells. That song effectively used one large, wordy run-on sentence into one of the best Dream-Pop records of the year. Asobi Seksu's "Thursday", sounds very similar, at least in conception, to the type of music that School of Seven Bells have been putting out. (Ironic because this song is nearly three years old) There's a lot to like about Asobi Seksu: For one, their name means "Casual Sex" in Japanese; they also have a knack for making really interesting dream-pop/shoegazing records. I don't know why so many people are doing the whole 'Dream-Pop' thing lately, but if a band like the Yeah Yeah Yeahs can use it to save themselves, (It's Blitz! was awesome) I'd like to see it stick around.

Lastly, here are some bullets:

- My verdict on the new Muse album: DO YOU LIKE QUEEN, AND IF SO, ARE YOU INTERESTED IN PRETENTIOUS CONSPIRACY THEORY DRIVEN LYRICS? If yes, then by all means, purchase the new Muse record. (And to think, they were my favorite band in 2006)

- St. Vincent's 'Marry Me' isn't as good as 'Actor', but it's still damn good:

Annie Clark has had two classic-level records in a period of under three years. Is there anything that this woman can't do? And not to be mean, but I hear a lot of people refer to St. Vincent in my blog as a band: St. Vincent is NOT a band; it is a moniker for Annie Clark, the woman pictured above....you know, the talented and lovely woman who writes and composes all of her music. That isn't an attack on the manufactured pop-stars of the world; they serve a purpose as well. (Elvis didn't write any of the songs on his first record, think about that for a bit)

- Unrelated to music, but I'm at the end of the first disc in FF7 for the first time, yay! I wonder what's going to happen to Aeris.. (Kidding of course)

- Summer music releases have been sparse, but if you're in to Throw Me at the Statue, they have a new record out. 'Hospice' is the only thing I've found this summer worth listening to.

I'll leave you guys with some brain-dead lyrics courtesy of Interpol's Paul Banks, taken from his 'Julian Plenti is...Skyscraper' album.

(The song is called "Girl on the Sporting News")

"Girl on the sporting news
I just wanna tell you one thing
you've got the kind of sex appeal
that doesnt get a guy like me down.

So bring it up
Bring clips of the sexiest sports moves in for the score
Fill it up
Fill minutes up
And talk about that glorious season
Until I'm sore.

Light my love away
Bye bye
Ride my love away
Bye bye."
phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By phlegms

Pitchfork.com should just fucking hire you already!

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bruce
@phlegms: 

I've been listening to The Antlers album....I think Grizzly Bear just got bumped off of my album of the year list.
Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Nice stuff! Bear was definitely my favorite out of the selection of songs. Kenya Dig It was fun but it didn't have the same effect and emotion and Le Loup was interesting to say the least.

It's cool to get a break from listening to metal every now and then so keep the blogs coming!

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Bruce
@Dr_Feelgood38: 

Hospice by The Antlers is now probably 2 or 3 on my Album of the Year list.
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By artofwar420
@Bruce: You've got some excellent taste in music, if you were a chick I'd do you in the butt.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bruce
@artofwar420: 

Gracias. Although, I'm a bit too big for some forced anal sex.