I wish steam had some sort of quality standard.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Edited By wholemeal

After watching Red Orchestra QL...some games are absolutely frustrating to troubleshoot. I recently bought Bastion and it lost my saves and stop recording achievements. Dead Island, borderlands and magicka had horrendous networking problems.

I am just so tired, so very very tired.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By wholemeal

After watching Red Orchestra QL...some games are absolutely frustrating to troubleshoot. I recently bought Bastion and it lost my saves and stop recording achievements. Dead Island, borderlands and magicka had horrendous networking problems.

I am just so tired, so very very tired.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Azteck

You realize that it's not up to Steam, but rather the developer, right? Steam only sells them

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By Sooty

They do have a quality standard. That's why Valve games are always patched so quickly.

It's not their fault if other developers are releasing shoddy products, though. I'm sure if a game was totally unplayable then they would step in and offer refunds.

and by unplayable I mean truly fucked up.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ervonymous

The only thing you can do to avoid getting fucked is wait after release and check SPUF if people are having problems. The Oddboxx was the wakeup call for me, Stranger's Wrath was horrible and to my understanding is still broken to some extent on AMD graphics cards.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wholemeal

@Azteck: Yeah but on PS and Xbox, there are (i can only assume) stringent quality assurances. From building the bastion, they went through a rigorous process to get Bastion on xbox. But some of the stuff that gets released on steam makes me sad. And i suppose that's part of the whole steam thing, a low barrier to entry. I just want to buy a game and be able to play it.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sooty

@Wholemeal said:

@Azteck: Yeah but on PS and Xbox, there are (i can only assume) stringent quality assurances. From building the bastion, they went through a rigorous process to get Bastion on xbox. But some of the stuff that gets released on steam makes me sad. And i suppose that's part of the whole steam thing, a low barrier to entry. I just want to buy a game and be able to play it.

The thing is they can be stricter on the consoles because they are working with fixed hardware specs. Microsoft are supposed to be a nightmare to deal with indeed.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By wholemeal

@ervonymous: I feel yah man. I guess it's harder to make everything work right when you're not working with one standard hardware configuration. Just makes me sad. Wish it didn't happen on the PC, i might get a console to avoid all those set backs.

wholemeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By wholemeal

@Sooty: I know, it just makes me sad. So very sad and so very tired.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463

I do too. I bought several older games that just flat out don't run on modern OS, but there was no warning or anything to let me know before I bought them that I couldn't play them. After the fact I think if I scrolled to the very bottom of the page and read the fine print there might have been something, but something as big as the game just flat out not starting on certain OS should be big bold headline warning at the top of the page. The only thing that kept me from contacting them about it was I bought it during some Steam sale for a few dollars and I didn't want to go through the hassle of contact support and filling out a form.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sooty

@Wholemeal said:

@Sooty: I know, it just makes me sad. So very sad and so very tired.

I have to have a good Google before I buy old games on Steam! It's really shoddy when newer games get released with so many issues.

The Longest Journey only runs at 640x480, it doesn't say that anywhere on Steam. Unfortunate but gotta expect that kind of crap from older games I guess. I can't complain, I got it for under $1!

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By ikwal

Console games also have their fair share of technical problems.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Animasta

maybe you should go to bed earlier if you're so very tired