Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Facebook is terrible and Gawker is terrible.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
@FourWude said:
"Typical media bullshit reasoning, 'everyone does it, so should you'.

I'd trust Facebook more if it wasn't directly funded by the CIA and thus the NSA. Call me stupid, but I like to make CIA/NSA agents work to get access to my information. It's no fun when they can access it all on a website, provided by me.

Think about it, me NOT being on Facebook is keeping a CIA/NSA bastard in a job. I'm helping the US economy, they should be fucking thanking me. "

Everyone uses it and that is what makes it so useful, if no one used it, it would be terrible, but because everyone uses it, its reliable, successful, and predictable.
Those bastards, protecting our nation and all that. How dare they watch you every second you exist on this planet. What dick heads! Also, your not really helping the economy with most gov't jobs that aren't construction, and that's more contracts than anything. Especially when, if they weren't supposedly listening to your every phone conversation, they would just get transfered to read your Facebook transcripts.
Also, if you think Facebook is anything but a tiny source of information on you, your crazy. You never go to hospitals, or any medical facilities, you never have any run in with the law as victim or perp, you never take or allow pictures to be taken of you, you never use a computer, and you never look at the sky, and they still know more about you than you care for. Facebook isn't going to give them all your dirty little secrets and thinking it will is one of the most bat shit crazy things out there. Unless your a terrorist who adds a bunch of other terrorists and openly discus terrorism, your going to be fine. Until you forget how to breath or walk because your so stupid as to think Facebook is somewhere you should have private information.

@EveretteScott said:

" I have no desire to have a facebook and won't. I use that thing called a phone to interact with family and/or friends.Also I could go on a rant on how idiotic that article was, serious or not, but I feel like not making myself rage. "

Well, do you not use it on principle, or because it just wouldn't add anything to your life? Because the latter is totally reasonable. Especially if people you know don't really use facebook. But people who don't use facebook because it's a "bad" thing are idiots. It's a useful way to stay connected, and know what people are up to. If I want to interact with people, I arrange to actually SEE THEM. Saying that talking on the phone is more personal by any real amount than chatting on facebook is kinda silly. Your still just expressing words without any other form of communication. In fact, with smileys and all that, chatting on facebook is MORE capable of expressing the range of communication used by humans face to face. And chat isn't what facebook is about. It's about knowing whats going on with a wide range of people without having to call each of them up every day, or having a full on conversation with people. Sure, if you only have like 3 close friends and never talk to co-workers or anyone outside of your friends, sure, facebook is useless. For someone, like me, who has moved around a shit ton, and who has a very large pool of close friends, family, etc, that I like to keep tabs on, Facebook is great. If all the human interaction you get is on the phone, you should really get off your high horse, because that's far less involved than actually spending time with people, and it would be easy to argue that knowing what people are up to, seeing pictures from their vacation, or seeing their prom dress, or whatever the fuck else, allows you to communicate with people on a more personal basis a lot more often. You seem to have this thing up your ass telling you that Facebook is a replacement for seeing people. It's not. What it is however is a great tool for when you can't spend an hour catching up with an old friend because you have 20 of them, a job, live in a different state, are out of town, etc. Facebook is here, it's useful, and you don't have to use it, but the hipsters acting like it ruins human interaction are the idiots who are stupid enough to think it should get in the way.

People who hate sheep are all the same. Funny how that works, isn't it? Your just a sheep of another Shepard, named paranoia.
babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By babblinmule

I use facebook to keep in touch with friends that I met when studying at foreign universities (by far the easiest way when youre 5,000 miles away from them). But I'll be damned if I have to use facebook to interact with people that live within 5 miles of me. If i want to catchup with a friend, then I do what normal people did before social networking - I will phone them, text them, or better yet, actually go see them in person!

If a person lives nearby, and the number 1 way you interact with them is via facebook, then they really aren't worth keeping in contact with. Or they have an insanely bad job.

EDIT - Just re-read that, and ive got to state that Im not anti facebook. Im just anti-facebook elitist.... like you our topic creator - its those kinds of people that give social networking a bad name.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#55  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Agent1337 said:

Basically, if you don't like Facebook, it sounds to me like you don't like your friends. And what kind of terrible person doesn't like friends? Even Hitler had friends.

"
I do not disagree with that sentence. Hell, I'm going to use it in my defense: if you have friends, you're a fucking Nazi, and who wants to be a Nazi?
Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By Lukeweizer
@McGhee_the_Insomniac said:
" I have no interest in facebook. I waste all my time here. "
Wooooord.
NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#57  Edited By NegativeCero
@mrv321: This thread is over after that.
JordanK85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By JordanK85

I remember a few years ago when I asked someone what Myspace was. Their response was akin to "OMG! You don't have a Myspace? What the hell is wrong with you?" At first I resisted getting one because the premise sounded somewhat pointless but I eventually caved to peer pressure. I could easily see this same article being written about Myspace back then. I hate when people talk about Facebook like it's the new telephone; it's not. The Internet is the new telephone; Facebook is just one kind of telephone.

On a side note I did join Facebook. It happened the exact same way as it did with Myspace. I have a feeling this will repeat itself but I will NEVER join Twitter.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#59  Edited By penguindust

That was a cute piece of satire.  

I don't use it.  I have no desire for everyone to know every detail of my life.  The people wish to interact with me can reach me via a new little device called "the telephone".  If you're not a part of my life right now, then I don't want you in it.  Leave past friends and past relationships where they belong; in the past. 
anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By anarchyzombie9

ITT: lolsoedgyandcounterculturekids

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By phish09

This part was the only part that really rang true for me..."I will grant you this: Facebook, much like Twitter, has a lot that sucks about it. "

I've been using Facebook for almost 5 years now, but I just don't care about it anymore.  I used to update my status daily and check in with my friends and all the time and I just realized it's such an artificial form a friendship that you develop on Facebook.  My friends are the people I see and talk to on a daily or weekly basis anyway, and the rest of those people are just usually "people I know".  Facebook throws the word "friend" around like the word "adore" gets used at a French whorehouse.   

I think if you're naive enough to believe that everyone on your facebook friends list is actually your friend, then you probably realistically don't have any real friends, and for you Facebook is a must.  For those of us who have real friends that we see and socialize with on a regular basis, facebook is just a chore. Plain and simple.  Having to wish someone a happy birthday every day, or comment on someone's new baby, or console someone for having broken up with someone they've only been dating for 2 months is just tedious bullshit that has no place anywhere near the word friendship.  If I really cared that it was your birthday I would call.  If I cared that you're baby was born I would send a card or a present. 

I think basically sending a person a "happy birthday" on facebook, but not calling them or making an effort to be with them on their birthday is the equivilant of saying, "I want nothing to do with you, so I'm posting this message on your wall".  To me, those kinds of friendships are phony and people that hold those kinds of relationships as dear are just as phony.

So, I'd like to rebutt with:  If You Spend All Your Time on Facebook, Get Over Yourself.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By phish09
@MordeaniisChaos said:
"Everyone uses it and that is what makes it so useful, i"

The article clearly stated that half a billion people are on facebook (which I bet includes numerous accounts made up for the same person).  There are 6 billion people in the world, so no, not everyone is on it.  Not nearly everyone.  Not a small fraction of everyone. 

SquadBroken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By SquadBroken

And I'm sure at the end of the article there was a big button saying FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK!  Pathetic.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By s10129107

Theres no better way to keep in touch with people

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By napalm

Condescending attitudes is certainly one way to win over readers. Wasn't this the same site that posted the self-serving article about "stop bitching at us," or something like that?

anarchyzombie9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By anarchyzombie9
@mrv321: I respect your stance but, lolgrammar
Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#67  Edited By Sin4profit

If you don't drink Pepsi cola, it's time to get over yerself.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#68  Edited By Soap

I fucking HATE facebook, yet I have to use it because its the only way most people keep in touch or organize anything nowadays. If I didn't need it for that I would delete the fucking thing in a second. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By napalm
@blueduck: Haha. That Newsweek article paired with your comment, is amazing. I love you.
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By GunslingerPanda
@mrv321: 

dungbootle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By dungbootle

It's a good way to keep in touch, I'll say.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Ramone
@Jimbo said:
"I just wrote this counter article which I totally agree with:

Fuck off.

"

Well articulated indeed. Seriosuly though Facebook isn't that great and not being on it doesn't make you a bad person
rawrnosaurous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#73  Edited By rawrnosaurous
@SethPhotopoulos said:
" I use facebook but that guys a dick. "
BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By BabyChooChoo

I have a fucking phone. Anyone who really wants to talk to me can do it at any time from any place. Anyone who I really want to talk to, I can do so from any place at any time. I don't use Facebook not because I'm trying to be 'hip.' I don't use it because I literally have no reason to.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By benjaebe

Sure is Gawker trying to get more hits by being outlandish and controversial in here.

The last, desperate gasps of a dying network.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#76  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I am currently a pretty regular user of Facebook and I don't even believe that a lot of the problems with Facebook mentioned in that article apply to anyone who is using the site sensibly, but the idea that anyone not on Facebook is some sort of social retard is deplorable and idiotic. Yes, Facebook can be a fantastic tool for keeping up with friends and the "I'm too cool for Facebook" attitude that a small number of people carry certainly stinks of elitism, but there are many people out there who have perfectly understandable reasons for not being a part of Facebook and it's not going to help anyone by trying to pressure them into joining. There are more ways to keep up with your friends than Facebook.

finstern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By finstern

I love how Gawker are constantly telling people to stop using Facebook and then tell people to like and promote their stuff through facebook, then tell you to stop using it again and now this.

Bah. 

Let me know when they make up their minds.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#78  Edited By Icemael

I have a Facebook account. You know how much I've gotten out of it?

Absolutely nothing. I have a bunch of friends there, but if I want to tell them something I just, you know, call them. With a telephone. All I get on Facebook is a constant stream of updates about boring crap I don't care about. "Look, I took a photo of myself while riding the bus!" "Hey, I just had dinner and it was delicious!" Fuck off. If your dinner wasn't delicious enough that you feel a need to call me about it or tell me when we meet in person, I'm not interested. And if it was, just call me about it or tell me about it when we meet in person.

"Anti-social" my ass. I'm not anti-social -- it's all these people who feel that they need to know what their friends are doing 24/7, regardless of whether they're doing something interesting or not, who are excessively social.
Dawglet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#79  Edited By Dawglet
@Enigma777 said:
" I haven't logged onto Facebook in a year and  half ever since my mom send me a friend request. When your parents get on, you just know it's time to move on... "
That's what the ignore button is for.
No0b0rAmA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By No0b0rAmA
@Enigma777 said:
" I haven't logged onto Facebook in a year and  half ever since my mom send me a friend request. When your parents get on, you just know it's time to move on... "
This man tells the truth.
mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mnzy

I love twitter and I'm not on facebook and have no intend to go there.
Don't throw those two in one bag please.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#82  Edited By bacongames

The cool thing about google is it doesn't require an account to use.  With facebook, it's difficult to remove that footprint, especially if that brand dies or declines in some way.  Why would I tie myself to that service?  All my real friends are the ones that are not lazy and so will find me if they want to.  Besides I'm on the internet all the time anyway.  I'm on Twitter, I come here, I've got a YouTube channel I maintain.  Facebook is just a fancy address book with photo features and website tagging.  I never use address books really.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ravenousrattler

why wouldn't you join facebook, all the people you hate are on there messaging ya to be friends.

WickedCestus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#84  Edited By WickedCestus

I'm on facebook because I'm in high school so I have to be. That being said, I enjoy facebook and I think it's a pretty great tool. Don't really understand the hate.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#85  Edited By spankingaddict

No thanks. I have absolutely no interest in facebook. I do have friends though :)

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By ryanwho

Facebook is officially a religion if I have to deal with fucking missionaries now.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#87  Edited By EuanDewar

I deleted my facebook a few months ago and strangely enough all my friends still liked me and I saw them just as often! Weird huh!

Jesus Christ. Fucking Gawker.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#88  Edited By JJWeatherman

Except really, these people aren't defending anything except antisocial, extremely annoying behavior.    

It's only extremely annoying to people that like to constantly annoy you. It's them or me. I choose for them to be annoyed.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By ryanwho
@EuanDewar said:
" I deleted my facebook a few months ago and strangely enough all my friends still liked me and I saw them just as often! Weird huh!Jesus Christ. Fucking Gawker. "
They're obviously conspiring against you on the facebook.
craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By craigbo180

Twitter makes me love people I don't know, Facebook makes me hate the people I do.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By EuanDewar
@ryanwho said:
" @EuanDewar said:
" I deleted my facebook a few months ago and strangely enough all my friends still liked me and I saw them just as often! Weird huh!Jesus Christ. Fucking Gawker. "
They're obviously conspiring against you on the facebook. "
The worst part is i've actually done this to someone. It went fantastically. I was like an E-Judas.
wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By wickedsc3

What's wrong with the guy who wrote that article?  Something must be off with him if he thinks everyone should have a facebook.  It called a phone or get in my car and actually go over and talk with my friends.  And when I say friends I mean real friends not people from high school that I never talk to or people I just randomly meet.  Facebook I believe is the anti-social network.  Being social no longer is actually social it is a person sitting in the home on a computer.  Get out and live, go see your friends!

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By TheSmashing

Gawker is to be ignored like all worthless attention whores  

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By ryanwho

I'm plenty anti-social just being stupid at this forum. Everyone posting in this thread has a phone, email, most have some kind of chat account like skype, and we know they dick around at at least one forum. The idea that you need to be on facebook is ludicrous. If you're a business professional, LinkedIn is a better social network. Basically, Facebook is ideal for famous people who want to be in touch with their fans while maintaining a healthy distance. I'm not famous. There's nothing wrong with people who use Facebook, they just choose to waste their time in a different way than I do.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#95  Edited By tourgen

mass harvesting of personal consumer data

pointless & shallow online-only "friendships"
online profile put to dubious uses: HR departments filtering by facebook profiles and usage, profiles and posts used as evidence in divorce cases

Hell yeah.  Sign me up :P

Sorry, I'm old enough to have friends that know how to use IRC and toss out a throw-away blog for pics and meetups.  I don't need a centralized site to host crippled versions of these functions poorly and then turn around and re-sell my personal data to marketing research firms.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By iam3green

facebook is just kind of weird. i just log in for a minute see what people are doing and see if i have any messages. if i don't then i just log off.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#97  Edited By melcene

I don't understand how Twitter is any better than Facebook (other than the lack of apps, which I can appreciate).  People on there still add a crapton of people they don't even know and get spammed with statuses they care nothing about.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By Azteck

I kind of use facebook but not really? It can be useful sometimes, I guess

Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dumb article, but Facebook is extremely useful.  You just have to know how to use it.  Ignore friend requests from people you don't know, block feeds from the couple people who post dumb shit all the time, turn off all the farmville-like game updates from friends, and suddenly you have a site where you can go and easily organize events and keep up with your close friends.  That's what I use it for, anyways.

JammyJesus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By JammyJesus

This thread is hilarious. I use facebook because I have friends. I like having friends.