I'm finally getting somewhere with my indie game.

Some-human

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Some-human

So my last blog post was just a short introduction on what I wanted to do with the next game I make, now I'm finally starting to get things in place.

Building on the existing code I had from Synesthesia Amnesia (My terrible first attempt at an XBLIG game) I've started to put together the basics of what I want gameplay wise in this project.

For the majority who didn't read the last blog post the game is going to be a 2D platformer with JRPG elements. A story, player stats and levels, puzzles, many areas linked by an open world.

So far I have coded the HP and Exp system for the player and a basic inventory for picking up better swords and swords with different characteristics such as dealing more damage and cutting through objects blocking paths (typical "can't get to that area yet because I lack the sword to cut trees down" mechanic. I have also added the different character types that I spoke about, inspired from Wonderboy. I have the normal character with his sword, a character that shoots fire (ranged attack) and a small character that is half the size and can get through small gaps in the world. I intend to develop puzzles based around the mechanic of swifting shapes to get through areas and retrieve items.

I have also implemented the basics that are often took for granted such as player control, menus, HUD, saving, character animations (most of which were already in place from Synestesia Amnesia but needed tweaking.) I have also added code for NPCs and enemies to wonder around the world and for the player to interact with then, including conversations.

I still have a lot of major things to do. Before I even get into more programming I need to finalise where I want the story to go (My good friend who created Text Zedventure is hopefully going to read over and help a lot with that. The pacing, atmosphere and writing of that was amazing.) I also still eed to map out all the areas of the world. Once that's done I can program it all in and test it to make sure it's fine. Then I need puzzle ideas and to make sure it plays well and is fun. All the items need names, be placed in the world and coded to work correctly. I have no artwork yet so most of the sprites and areas are paintshopped from my last game or strait up ripped from other games (flashback, Wonderboy, mario etc.) to suit an immediate need for a place holder. Last time I put a post up in the Deviant Art forums advertising for someone to do the art for me based on my crappy MSpaint placeholders, I'm not sure what the best course will be this time. Once all that's done there will stat balancing and checking that levelling is consistent and stuff. Then the usual bug testing.

There's probably a lot more I've forgotten or neglected to include in that but when that crops up its part of the fun.

A long way in the future will then be deciding where to put it. Hopefully it will be a game people want to play (it's brief is 'the game I want to play') and as much as I love this hobby of just coding and having fun making shit there has to be a decision of what happens next. I'd love the game to be on steam, and am excited the idea of Greenlight, but will my game be good enough? Do I just throw it on XBLIG and hope people find it and enjoy it? In my ideal situation the game will be amazing, to me in my head it already it but realism needs to be accounted for. So ideally it'd be on steam and be a success and I could get it on XBLA and PSN and not forgetting iOS but I know that's a million to one change. I believe this game would be good, but is it?

I just like making games, it doesn't matter in the end if others like it, that's just a massive bonus. It'd be nice though, right? Like that thought you have about winning the lottery. It's not gonna happen, but you always talk about "what if...?" and dream. If I won I'd buy my house and a pub, if not I'll turn up to work tomorrow. Well if people like it and it got somewhere that's great, if not then I'll still play it and I'll move on to another project.

Anyway, this is another post from me, and it's longer that I thought it would be. I've just recorded a video and sent to my mate showing off the first bit of coding all working together to make the player move around and enter buildings and pick items up and show them in the inventory. Once he's seen it and tells me it doesn't suck, I'll post it on here with commentary giving it context.

Well, I hope I spark some discussion from other indies about how they work, from the community about the game making process, the game I'm making and just general chit chat, and I'll try and be more actively involved here and answer questions. Alternatively if no-one cares you can just drop that in there too cus I'd like to get a read on if anyone's actually intrested in me doing a blog or not.

Anyway, that's all for now, k thx bai!

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

Cool man! Let us know when you get it out there.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Keep at it duder.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By indieslaw

This was an interesting read, I might follow a blog if you kept it up. At the least, id be interested in seeing the mspaint art and the final art.