Is it okay or immoral to date an underage girl/boy? (Question of the Day 8-18-10)

• 167 results
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce
Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

Eleven is the cut off point.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By astrotriforce

So if you are overage (over 18) and the person you want to date is underage (let's not get specific but within reason) do you believe it's okay to date them or immoral to do so?

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Marcsman
@astrotriforce said:
"So if you are overage (over 18) and the person you want to date is underage (let's not get specific but within reason) do you believe it's okay to date them or immoral to do so? "

It's fucked up. I personally would not.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Well, it's obviously illegal in many states to do so by law.  If the law had no implication in the decision, I really wouldn't care.  I'm not for one side or the other.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hicks91

mad 
creepy

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By astrotriforce
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Well, it's obviously illegal in many states to do so by law.  If the law had no implication in the decision, I really wouldn't care.  I'm not for one side or the other. "
Actually that's not correct in the USA. It's illegal to BANG an underage person. Not to date them. And the age of consent in the majority of states is 16. Followed by 17, and the least amount is 18 like in my state of Arizona. Most countries if I recall are 16. But that's why the question is really based on whether YOU think it's moral or immoral.  Cause laws differ depending on where you live.
mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By mesklinite

Well if it's like 18 and 17? sure, 16 maybe, 15 starts to get real creepy, 14 pedo
pillowfort

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By pillowfort

It's okay! 

You don't need us to clear your conscience!

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@astrotriforce: Oh wow, had no idea it was okay to date underage people in most places.  Well, I still don't have much of a stance either way as I really don't have any opinions on that whole dating thing.
Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Lemoncookie01

I have a 3 year over/under rule i follow.

hicks91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By hicks91

you are going to end up in the cut 
im not joking

OwlPen0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By OwlPen0r

Half your age, +7. That's my rule. 

Also no get out, dating someone underage is super weird. Who is voting yes? Imma call the cops.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Milkman

Well, it's definitely illegal.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Demyx

If its just dating, I feel the lowest would be a 16 year old but the other person shouldn't be above 21.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By mesoian

Depends on the person. I have a lot of friends who are dating/married and their SO's have an age difference of 5 years. 

It's all about the maturity level of the people involved.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jadeskye
@astrotriforce said:
" So if you are overage (over 18) and the person you want to date is underage (let's not get specific but within reason) do you believe it's okay to date them or immoral to do so? "
very fucked up, don't do it imo. especially as everyone will percieve you as a pedophile whether you sleep with them or not.
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By astrotriforce
@hicks91 said:

" mad creepy "

Sir, get your mind out of the gutter!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By astrotriforce
@Mesoian said:
" Depends on the person. I have a lot of friends who are dating/married and their SO's have an age difference of 5 years.   It's all about the maturity level of the people involved. "
Yeah this is my stance pretty much. And same for my group of friends due to my younger siblings, I'm pretty much the oldest one of the bunch.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By Metroid545

Depending on the age

Okari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Okari

I see no problem with it if the relationship is consensual. Who am I to decide what's wrong or right for other people?

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By artofwar420

Just save yourself the trouble and BECOME underage yourself. Get a new birth certificate, you can ride that shit for like a decade almost. Just don't smoke, that will age you fast.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#24  Edited By beargirl1
@artofwar420 said:
"

Just save yourself the trouble and BECOME underage yourself. Get a new birth certificate, you can ride that shit for like a decade almost. Just don't smoke, that will age you fast.

"
words of wisdom right here 
commandercup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25  Edited By commandercup

I'm underage, but I'd say it's immoral because teenagers + puberty = messed up emotions and probably especially with girls. Thus, I could see how it's really easy for an adult (nearly out, or out of puberty) to take advantage of someone that's underage even without trying to. Plus there's that obsession with maturity that pretty much all teenagers have and hence why lots of teens want older boy/girlfriends (college-age) which also skews their judgment.

That being said, the law obviously takes precedence.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By RandomHero666

Being 21 I would not date anyone younger than 17

blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blazerx9x

like ten of my friends ( who are females by the way ) are dating 17 year old`s and 18 year old`s, my friends are like, 13 and 14, yeeeaaah, it`s really gross

Liono88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Liono88

If there's grass on the field then...play ball!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#29  Edited By AndrewB

I dated two 14ish girls back when I was 17. It definitely felt weird when I had passed the 18 mark; not because I personally thought I was doing something wrong, but because there are all these weird connotations and (worse) legal issues. Since nothing ever came of either relationship, it didn't matter in the long run. What I did learn from the experience is that it isn't really worth the hassle. No one has any clue what a relationship is at that age, anyway. Don't do it.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RE_Player1

It makes you look desperate... just get a girl the same age as you or older. Yes when your 30 you can date someone who is 25 but when your 18 you shouldn't be dating someone that is like 14. Even though you may not be taking advantage of them it sure does look like it. 

Paddis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Paddis

I don't see what's wrong with it. For some reason, it seems the U.S. doesn't like it when some people love each other. Though I agree that it's questionable how young someone can be for you to date them, I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it. If two people like each other then I don't see why age would be a problem, if someone's in their fifties and is sexually attracted to 10-year olds then I why that could be a problem.   

What I do find immoral is calling people pedofiles left and right and saying that it's "fucked up". The difference between a date and child molestation is, believe it or not, very big.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By RVonE

I think it is messed up how people take a juridical definition of underage and conflate that with the problematic of pedophilia which extends far beyond any legal consideration.
Most of my friends and acquaintances met their girlfriends/wives when they were underage; as did I. Am I now part of some cult of pedophiles? 
I'm three years older than my soon to be wive. When we first started dating she was sixteen. Yeah, I'm messed up that way <_<
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By AndrewB
@Paddis said:
" I don't see what's wrong with it. For some reason, it seems the U.S. doesn't like it when some people love each other. Though I agree that it's questionable how young someone can be for you to date them, I don't see why there would be anything wrong with it. If two people like each other then I don't see why age would be a problem, if someone's in their fifties and is sexually attracted to 10-year olds then I why that could be a problem.    What I do find immoral is calling people pedofiles left and right and saying that it's "fucked up". The difference between a date and child molestation is, believe it or not, very big. "
Like I said, in some cases, I don't think there's anything wrong with that, but as an adult it's easy to see that no one at that age really knows what "love" is, so I don't personally buy the "if two people love each other..." thing.

My philosophy is that there's a pretty obvious line between pedophile and two kids wanting to be in a relationship, and I don't see how 18 is some magical cut-off line where it becomes fucked up in all cases.
Jigswag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jigswag

Someone already said it, but for the sake of emphasis, I'll say it again: Your age, divided by 2, plus 7. That's the cut-off number right there.

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By rapid
@OwlPen0r said:

" Half your age, +7. That's my rule.  Also no get out, dating someone underage is super weird. Who is voting yes? Imma call the cops. "

I like this rule, assuming you're the one older than 18 XD
 whoa 50-50 poll right now 
Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#36  Edited By Julmust

I think if you're young and the age difference is over 2 years, it might seem sketchy to me.

But like, it's not my business. I would be bothered if someone thought me being with a girl that's 17 when I'm 18 is weird.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By crusader8463

I believe as long as it's consensual anyone of any age should be allowed to be together

AdvanceStrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AdvanceStrat

I put in yes, but it's definitely a "within reason" sort of thing.  If you got some 30 year old guy trying to date some 16 year old girl, that's a tad messed up.  And obvious anybody trying to screw around in bed under the age of consent is it's own can of worms.  But within reason (something like 4 or 5  years apart) and if both sides are mature enough to be actually dating and not just wanting to go find a motel to get back at their parents or something idiotic like that, I don't have a problem with it.
Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

18 and 17 and 19 and 17 is acceptable i think, but something crazy like 21 and 14 = GTFO you crazy crazy man/woman
It really depends on the age in play here so yeah its a weird area.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it is, my personal rule is 2~ years above or under me, and that usually works out crap too, but there's just so much difference between kids and young adults, whole other mindset, it can't and won't work in my eyes.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Azteck

What's your definition of underaged?

eillothebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eillothebadger

If there's grass on the wicket, lets play cricket!  
If they're old enough to bleed, they're old enough to butcher!    and so on.

What's the best thing about sex with twenty one year olds? There's twenty of them! 

Btw i voted (A),
Yours sincerely, Inmate 2756/34

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#43  Edited By one_2nd

It depends on the age difference. I'd say three years is pushing it. Once you're older it doesn't really matter as much though. 

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Spoonman671

Important factor: is my daughter the underage individual you'd be dating?

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Ace829

WTF

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

As long as it isn't someone named Knives and they aren't under seventeen. And this guy used to teach at my old high school.

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#47  Edited By JackiJinx

This topic is just one more reason why people avoid the message boards.

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JokerSmilez

It depends. If a guy was 19 and dated a 17 year old, I wouldn't think anything of it. If they guy was 24, I would. 

Not sure about the US, but here in Canada legal age of consent is 16, meaning legally it's totally ok for a 35 year old to fuck a 16 year old. Creepy as shit, but technically legal (unless the older person is in a position of authority, like a boss). 

In general, I think the "half your age plus 7" rule is sufficient. 

StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By StrikeALight

More inate creepiness on the Giantbomb message boards, I see.

Personally, I think its kinda weird the way a lot of girls are attracted to MUCH older men. Triple the wierdness factor if one of said individuals is still in school - and this is from someone who doesn't always necissarily
abide by the social norms.

Personally, I don't like it.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Baillie

I think from 18-21 it's pretty alright to date an under-ager. I knew people from school, like just started while I was just finishing. If someone is the same as me, but like is more intimate, I dunno. There is a limit though.