Is there something off about the new X-Files Season?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Now I wasn't the biggest of die hard X-Files fan growing up but I always was able to catch a few episodes here and there and always thought they put a good bit of fear in you. Sorta like the tales of darkness or crypt series back in the 80's and 90's. I'm currently at episode 3 of the new 2016 miniseries and something just feels off on the new show. Not sure if it's the new hd filming of the show or how self aware Mulder and Scully are with, "how shit ain't what it once was" they seem to refer to in each episode but the show doesn't have that same level of horror and unknown quality that I once remember. It also seemed rather easy how Scully and Mulder were able to get there old positions again after 14 years.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I myself am a bit of a X-Files buff, loved the movies and most of the episodes. All round interesting series. What i've noticed about the new season is that its all sex and no floor play. That and the cinematography is much more modern and that the shots are way too quick. I think these are ultimately detrimental to the type of show the X-Files is. The alien craft in the first episode was a "what the fuck are you doing" moment for sure.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a super fan I'm really loving it.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@devil240z: that's good to hear at least. I myself dont dislike the new season and am actually enjoying it. It just feels way more different then what I originally remember of the show.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By dancinginfernal

Yeah, seeing Scully and Mulder interact with these newish actors and a lot of weird cameo appearances by comedians has really taken me out of it. Like the X-files was great camp because of the low production values and yet really intelligent writing, so these actors acting deliberately hokey is kind of annoying and takes me out. That being said, I think David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson gave really good performances from the first two episodes I watched and the writing is on par with the first movie in terms of quality, but they're both very good actors and they know these roles so well, and the writers are all the same so it's not really that unexpected.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

I should also say that having just rewatched the whole series, nothing that has happened so far in the new ones is unusual. Someone above mentioned the ship in the first ep being odd. It totally fits with stuff that happened in the series already.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By pr1mus

This thing is insane. When they announced 6 episodes it sure sounded like a mini series type thing with 6 main story arc episodes which isn't unlike the number of main story episodes previous seasons had in between all the monster of the week episodes.

But no, instead they hit every check box of what an X-Files season is supposed to be. A terrible main story episode, an ok monster of the week episode and now even a rare comedy episode.

It's not good X-Files, in fact i'd say it's a lot closer to the bad X-Files of the last few seasons but it's definitely X-Files, as if nothing changed in that 13 years break. I don't get where they're going with this but whatever, this week's episode was alright.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I couldn't agree more with Pr1mus. I love the X-Files, but so far this new mini-season just isn't doing it for me. I'll stick with it of course, but so far it's just bad X-Files.

Avatar image for dancinginfernal
dancinginfernal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pr1mus said:

This thing is insane. When they announced 6 episodes it sure sounded like a mini series type thing with 6 main story arc episodes which isn't unlike the number of main story episodes previous seasons had in between all the monster of the week episodes.

But no, instead they hit every check box of what an X-Files season is supposed to be. A terrible main story episode, an ok monster of the week episode and now even a rare comedy episode.

It's not good X-Files, in fact i'd say it's a lot closer to the bad X-Files of the last few seasons but it's definitely X-Files, as if nothing changed in that 13 years break. I don't get where they're going with this but whatever, this week's episode was alright.

So they're actually doing that? Figured the monster one was a one-off, that's nuts, sounds like they're banking on pure nostalgia then.

TravisRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To me the new season seems like a caricature of the old seasons. It's like a fan fiction rather than actual new content. It's the same thing as the new season of Futurama was

Sure, I'm somewhat enjoying it but in a mostly ambivalent way.

At least it doesn't get as offensively bad as new Simpsons episodes.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By crithon

It's a train wreck considering how little the series has grown. The government conspiracy feels limp and there is no chemistry between Mulder and Scully's "will they or wont they" romance that was basically holding the first movie. And even now the monster of the week comes off cute considering there are better episodes that handled it altogether.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean the best episodes are one offs. The mythology isn't that great in hindsight.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#14  Edited By isomeri

I thought that the first episode was pretty terrible, and I've not really had an urge to watch it anymore.