Making sweet, sweet music [Musicians Thread]

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Masamune

Hello Giant Bomb! Are you filled with the insatiable desire to write music? Are you rocking the hell out of your local bars to crowds of half a dozen? Is your biggest goal in life to write an album that people will sweet love to? If so, then you're a musician like me, and you likely dress funny and are permanently broke.

So, who are my fellow musicians? Got a band, or are trying desperately to find one? Rockin' solo so you can keep the ladies for yourself? This is where you talk about it!

This would be a good place to talk about that guitar you just bought, or that sick full stack you've been eye humping at the guitar store, or learn a little theory for the piano, or learn how to sing like Satan himself.

Also, show us what you've got! Got a rad tune you think we should all be groovin' too? A sweet music video to delight our eyes? Or maybe you need some advice on a track you're working on. Let's share that shit!

I've been playing guitar and bass for ten years now, and dabble with piano and drums. I also have become the lead singer in my newest band which is just plain weird. Singing is weird.

As I said, I sing in my new band, but I also play this sexy thing. 

No Caption Provided

So Giant Bomb, show me your musicks!
Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Masamune

Oh, I forgot to post my own musicks.

My band is called Blaze N' Murder and we've got a new album that's about to drop. I made this music video yesterday, and I'd love to get some feedback on it.

I also do a lot of solo work as well, and more recently have been doing soundtracks for short films. I wrote this guy a while back for a creepy climax of a short film where someone gets brutally murdered with a guitar.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haven't really done anything more than mess around with my drum machine for the last year or so but I feel the urge creeping back in.

bandcamp  

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#4  Edited By markini6

@Masamune:  I was actually pleasantly surprised by both of those :) The drums are a little off in terms of timing when they first come in, but otherwise good stuff. Out of interest are you using a multi-track recorder, and are you recording everything at the same time or some instruments separately? In terms of what I play myself, I play the drums and the piano. Started off on the drums, but then wanted to learn another instrument as well, something with a bit more....tune. I was in a band but a combination of my best friend leaving it, the others leaning more towards metal and me spending more time on the piano led to me getting out while I still could :)

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Masamune

hematurge, that was pretty rad. Not really what I'm into, but it kept me listening the whole time. You should absolutely make some more and share it.

markini6, thanks! We multi-tracked everything on the album, and the second video is all layers I did, so it had to be multi-tracked as well. The world needs more drummers and piano players who actually write music. Playing in a metal band can be good times. I spend five or six years playing metal, but I definitely never want to again. And if it's not what you want to do, then don't. Being in a band you don't enjoy is an easy way to kill the love of songwriting quickly. But do you have any music to post?

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By AhmadMetallic

i own an electric guitar and i can play hundreds of my favorite metal songs (learned via tabs), but i dont have any creativity myself, im afraid!

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Aarny91

My band is called Slave Beaver Revolt. Here and here is some music I made with two friends that are from different countries.  We do it all online so it's semi-annoying to make. Still really fun though. We're working on a third album right now. I also have a band with a few friends in real life. I play guitar (in both) and sing in SBR.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Jams
@Masamune said:
As I said, I sing in my new band, but I also play this sexy thing. 

No Caption Provided
So Giant Bomb, show me your musicks! "
I'm digging that bridge. 
I play lead guitar
My band www.flonkertonband.com 
Reverbnation profile with songs  
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Goly

For some reason I expected shit, but I actually enjoy the song you posted (Masamune's band). Is that you singing? If so you're good keep it up! 

And what a beast of a guitar jesus, I fucking love it.

Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Goly

Oh and I'm a drummer with no band, which is like the saddest thing ever. I'm seriously considering of getting really good at guitar, start a one man band and record my own stuff.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed

Play guitar (EPS VB-400), but i have been real lazy this last year. Have no inspiration or urge to pick it up.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By DrPockets000

I do a lot of composition under the name The Lovely Sins.  Maybe I'll post some when I have more.

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Brunchies

I've dabbled in the drums for a year while in band but never felt the urge to continue. I'm not picking up the piano and starting lessons this Monday, should be great. On the piano I've so far just started getting use to moving my fingers around it and getting used to playing terrible, little songs by ear. Times like this make me wish I started instruments while I was 6 or 7.

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Masamune
@Goly:  Thanks dude! Yeah, that's me singing. I'm also one of the two guitarists. I essentially write a song, send it their way, and have it come back as something wholly improved.

Also, I've got a new song and video. This one I actually shot the footage for. I'm also just generally more happy with the song as well.

smekke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By smekke

http://soundcloud.com/smakkern/sweetest-girl   
Sometimes I make stuff like this (I don't really like Lil Wayne, but when you're bored, you're bored). I actually play the bass, mainly funk, jazz and fusion.   

@Masamune: I really enjoyed "My Home In Autumn"! Especially the transition at 0:56, which I thought was really great!  

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Djeffers03

I wish I was musically gifted or at least had more patience so that I could actually attempt to learn how to play an instrument. :(

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Masamune
@smekke: That was pretty cool. I checked out The Reading and liked it a lot more though.

And thanks!
mordi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordi

Very nice tracks, Masamune! 
I make tunes as well, but not using drums and guitars. I use synth! Usually, I go for old tunes made on the Commodore 64 or Amiga.

This is originally a C64-track.

Download .mp3

More here --> http://mordi.ziphoid.com/
ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I have been working on something for more than two years already but due to school, I make little but beneficial progress of sounding like Nasum, Trash Talk, and Envy with a hint of Opeth.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By ESREVER
@Masamune:
I'll be honest, with a band name such as Blaze N' Murder, I was expecting someone to be yelling in my ear incoherently.  
To say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. I rather liked what I heard. Keep up the good work! 

I own two guitars, and kind of know how to play. I'll be taking actual group guitar classes next year. 
I don't play in a band, only for my own enjoyment, so far at least.
Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Masamune
@Mordi said:

" Very nice tracks, Masamune! 
I make tunes as well, but not using drums and guitars. I use synth! Usually, I go for old tunes made on the Commodore 64 or Amiga.

This is originally a C64-track.

Download .mp3

More here --> http://mordi.ziphoid.com/ "

Man, that was so incredibly cheesy in exactly the right way.   I'm diggin' it.

@ESREVER said:

" @Masamune: I'll be honest, with a band name such as Blaze N' Murder, I was expecting someone to be yelling in my ear incoherently.  To say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. I rather liked what I heard. Keep up the good work!  I own two guitars, and kind of know how to play. I'll be taking actual group guitar classes next year. I don't play in a band, only for my own enjoyment, so far at least. "

Yeah, the band name is pretty silly. Everybody in the band used to play exclusively metal, and one guy is still in a fucking ridiculous grindcore band. Blaze N' Murder was the most metal name we could think of, so it seemed like a perfect fit for the first time we decided to dabble outside the genre.

The grind band the other guitar player is in is called Grizzly and they fucking rip.

matpaget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By matpaget
My old band! (We've been urged to get back together by many but sadly I doubt it will happen =( )\

And my new band, Those Goddamn Bats!, is basically a lovechild of my other band, Scag Octopus, which died giving birth. 
I will post the music to Those Goddamn Bats! as soon as it gets up!
 (Im the vocalist in all of the bands and I also play guitar in Those Goddamn Bats!)
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By nintendoeats

I am envying that guitar. Is it a PRS? I always fall for those. Maybe I'll post some pics of my guitars later :)
EDIT: I looked closer at the headstock...Ibanez?  whatever it is, I like it.

I was in a band, and this is the best thing that we ever did. There was kind of a style clash going on, so I don't know how well it really stands up. Its the other guy singing.

This is the best thing that I ever made. I came up with it after midnight, like most things that I'm proud of. Not that I'm not plugging away at things of course (gig on Saturday), but I have difficulty with actually putting together complete songs.

EDIT: I should mention that the second track is a single guitar track. Delay pedals are fun.

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By guiseppe

I've made some music in my days. It was mostly ambient/noise and it wasn't particularly good. I have loads of ideas of what I want to make, but I just can't seem to do it using your Reasons or FL and what have you. I would prefer to have a hardware setup, but that costs money that I don't have. I also play guitar now and then, but no option to record anything I've done. So I have no idea if I count as a musician or not.

Avatar image for siroptimusprime
SirOptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SirOptimusPrime

I play in a doom metal band (no website or anything right now just rehearsals and writing), but I write a ton of indie rock/post-rock and post-hardcore in my spare time.  I love playing doomy death metal, but I just can't stop listening to stuff like God Is An Astronaut, Fugazi, and Armor for Sleep. 

I own an Ibanez RG550 (Yellow). Fucking love the thing to death, but I need new strings and don't have any money. Sadface.  

I also play keyboards, drums, and trumpet. Hoping to get a ska trio for S&G's going at some point, but no luck as of yet :/. 

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Masamune

I've been working on soundtrack music again, and I'm pretty friggin' happy with this, considering I made it in Garage Band.

Masamune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Masamune

A couple of my friends and myself made a music video for another song off my band's new album and we're all super excited about it. You should check it out!

Also, show me more of your musics, you nerds. There's been some really good stuff in here.
smekke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By smekke
iWonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29  Edited By iWonder

Sweet! I actually get an excuse to post my music?! AWESOME! 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=888711&songID=8325796   

RISE Redux - industrial/classical boss music for an almost-sort-of-game.   

@Mordi Really digging those synth leads! Reminds me of Vangelis at times, particularly his score for Bladerunner.      

@Masamune - I'm seriously jealous of all your recording gear (and production skills!) - it all sounds really crisp, and pro, even on my ASUS Xonar Essence w/ LN47290NA opamps! Blaze N' Murder isn't a great name for a band like yours, though. Never too late to change the name! (HyperDuck Music Studios is still going strong... and infinitely more famously, Amon Tobin was Cujo for a little bit) 

MisterDunlap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MisterDunlap

This thread makes me really want to pick up my old guitar. I used to dabble when I was younger, but I stopped when it dawned on me that I have no musical talent to speak of. Perhaps I'll give it another shot. 

BRELS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BRELS

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Example1013

I used to be a musician. I used to be pretty good at it, too. If I decided to put the effort in, I think I could probably make a living as a performer. I don't know if that's what I want to do, but...it's something I've always kept in my mind, especially since I don't have a degree or any formal vocational training, and at the rate I'm going, I won't end up with any, either.

razorzxz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By razorzxz

I like to play guitar, I have started playing for about half a year. I play for a band in my school I know basic chords and know my way around the guitar. 
I would love to get good and guitar, but music isn't my passion, but it is a wonderful hobby. 
Also let me say that your work is fantastic! You sound similar to a band titled "Cake", your singing is also great. I would definitely consider buying your album.

chogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chogi

Cool thread! I have a band too, but half of our songs are Filipino so not sure if you guys are gonna understand it. Anyway, I'm editing our first music video right now and our EP will be for Japan relief so I'm really looking forward to sharing it with you guys. Anyway heres my favorite track of our EP hope you guys like it! Only 1 of 2 English tracks, this is a demo version so it's kinda rough

http://www.brightclub.com.ph/sulfur.html

You can listen to the rest of our demo at our site!
http://www.brightclub.com.ph

RubberFactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RubberFactory

I normally play guitar, but I don't have the equipment to record with any sort of quality, so instead most of the music I share with people is made with a micron synth, and FL studios