Music your friends just don't understand...

• 85 results
RipperSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By RipperSU

I've decided to start this thread due to something that happened to me earlier today. I had a friend over to listen to some music and play some video games. This friend is by no means unschooled when it comes to music, in fact our tastes are fairly similar. However, we were talking about the Beatles' more eccentric works and how we both enjoy them. Leading on from this I asked him if he had ever head of Captain Beefheart. He had heard the name but never the music. I decided then and there to bust out my 12'' of Trout Mask Replica, which I believe to be the band's best work. Upon playing a couple of tracks my friend asked me to turn it off and asked how it could even be classed as music. Of course, it is a challenging album for new listeners, but I at least thought that he'd be able to appreciate the musical depth and ambition. We debated it for a while before deciding to agree to disagree. 

All of this brings me to my question. Are there any bands that you absolutely love, which most people you know dismiss like this? For me, Captain Beefheart and The Dillinger Escape Plan are two of the main bands that I can never get anyone to listen to. Share your experiences.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce
@RipperSU:  

When I was twelve, all of my friends used to call me a "fag" for loving Daft Punk's Discovery.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By beargirl1

any eletronica , pretty much. most of my friends listen to a lot of lil wayne and whatnot. 
it doesn't really bother me to begin with. our music tastes are way different.  

@Bruce: WHAT?!

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By EVHKwick

Let's see.

Dir en grey, Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Peeping Tom, and Headphones President are the ones that usually get the looks. I'm sure there's more.

Edit: @Bruce: They don't sound like friends to me. Discovery is amazing.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Cube

Radiohead.

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Malakhii

Well I listen to a shit load of Bobby Darin, not all my friends are cool with that. Music is one of the most subjective things I can think of, people tend to have huge differences in their musical tastes. 

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By Bruce
@AjayRaz:  

YEP! Those were the Gangsta-Private School days, so looking back on it, it wasn't a huge surprise. 

@hack745:  

They sucked.
kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kmdrkul

Pretty much anything that's not Top 40.

PoppaKyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PoppaKyle

Aesop Rock, Immortal Technique, Organized Konfusion, oldschool DMX, others I can't think of right now. They either listen to that screaming stuff or the pop like rap that's popular nowadays.
beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#10  Edited By beargirl1
@Bruce: some kinda friends. :( 
Muttinus_Rump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Muttinus_Rump
@Cube said:
" Radiohead. "
And not even the more challenging stuff. Some of them think Ok Computer is weird.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#12  Edited By Vinny_Says
@RipperSU: safe as milk is better...
RipperSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RipperSU
@hack745:   Yeah, I listen to a lot of very heavy stuff like Agoraphobic Nosebleed and Genghis Tron too, but I don't expect most people to understand that stuff really. I think what really grinds my gears is the idea that people have a set philosophy on what music should be, how it should be structured, what chord progressions and time signatures it should have and all that. That's why I love anything that's a little bit different. I have had luck with lighter avante garde stuff like Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Nick Cave etc. I still haven't met anyone else who enjoys stuff like Brian Eno's ambient records and early Aphex Twin stuff though. 

@blacklabeldomm: I honestly prefer Trout Mask, although I do love Safe as Milk, especially Ry Cooder's amazing guitar work.
Zimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zimbo
@Malakhii said:
" Well I listen to a shit load of Bobby Darin, not all my friends are cool with that. Music is one of the most subjective things I can think of, people tend to have huge differences in their musical tastes.  "

I listen to a lot of Bobby Darin too. :)

I have a friend who I think has an unhealthy addiction to pop music and Lady Gaga especially. Which I can't stand as I don't like a lot of current pop artists. He doesn't understand why I like older music either. I tend to listen more to orchestral soundtracks and older artists such as Frank Sinatra, Bobby Darin, Dean Martin etc. 

I do like Robbie Williams because of his performance below though.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By Chummy8

Basically anything I like, my friends and family have never heard of.  

The Black Keys,  
Editors 
Arctic Monkeys 
Bloc Party 
Interpol  
 The Strokes 

And so on...

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I'm the only one of my friends who likes Rush and I can't understand that.
one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By one_2nd
@Cube said:
" Radiohead. "
I'm one of those guys. I've tried so many times to get into them, I just don't get it..
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Most of my friends either listen to whatever emo rock/Nickelback copycat Kerrang tells them to, or some crappy 'R&B', mainstream rap or autotuned to death pop.
I absolutely love progressive rock and metal, so whenever I turn on something like Gentle Giant, ELP or Diablo Swing Orchestra they have no idea what they're hearing.

@RipperSU:
Thank you for mentioning Captain Beefheart, I'd never heard of them before but I just listened to a few tracks. Love what I'm hearing so far.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Stealthmaster86

They Might Be Giants

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Driadon

I have different groups of friends, some dislike the mass amount of Power Noise and EBM I listen to, while I found some others due to said mass listening. If anything, the strangest example I have is my girlfriend disliking some jazz albums I own because she finds the sax' to be too high pitched for her ears.

Avatar image for coffeeandabagel
CoffeeandaBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By CoffeeandaBagel
@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" I'm the only one of my friends who likes Rush and I can't understand that. "
You are not alone. Make them watch the Trailer Park Boys episode with Alex Lifeson, "Closer to the Heart."
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#22  Edited By Hamst3r

For the most part, my friends have little objection to what I listen to. Though; one is not a fan of jazz, like Nina Simone and Ella Fitzgerald, but especially not Free Jazz. They say it's too slow and meandering for them to really pick up on a melody or beat to enjoy.

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By EVHKwick
@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" I'm the only one of my friends who likes Rush and I can't understand that. "
If they're anything like me, it's probably Geddy Lee and his oddly-pitched voice.
Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

None of my friends understand Ot3p.
Given it's pretty hard and creepy at times even, but it's pure emotion and rage, things all humans should be open too.
We're all animals afterall.

Lost a few dates to putting songs of theirs on, so much for dating tough heavy metal guys eh? xD

Hourai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Hourai

They dislike pretty much everything I listen to and find it boring. They're still stuck with the Linkin Park and screamo teenage crap. 

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Malakhii
@Zimbo: Nothing better then putting you're feet up and kicking it to some old swing 

@one_2nd:
 You're not alone brother. I feel like I don't get it. Sounds like alot of wailing to me. 
RipperSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RipperSU
@Hamst3r:  My friends give me a lot of shit about being a 21 year old man and listening to Jazz. I absolutely love it though, especially stuff like Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane. I remember nearly creaming my jeans last year when I found a vinyl copy of The Shape of Jazz to Come. Ironically the album that got me into Jazz was Refused's The Shape of Punk to Come. The whole album has numerous references to Jazz despite being very much a post-hardcore album.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By Chummy8
@one_2nd said:
" @Cube said:
" Radiohead. "
I'm one of those guys. I've tried so many times to get into them, I just don't get it.. "
I got into Radiohead by listening to Muse.  
Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#29  Edited By Torrim

Kanye West usually makes my friends argue as we're pretty split even on loving him or hating him, so that's always a fun topic.  Animal Collective is about the same thing, though even I can't really listen to their older noise band stuff.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#30  Edited By markini6

Classical music. Between everyone I know there's at least one person that I can talk to about pretty much any band or genre, except for classical music. Even one of my friends who was doing A-level music with piano as his only instrument doesn't like it, saying that modern Japanese compositions for the piano are better.

So I hit him.

In the mouth.

Hard.

AsianSwagger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AsianSwagger

My girlfriend and my best friend both hate it when I listen to the Beatles. They're more interested in their mediocre, mainstream music. 

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#32  Edited By one_2nd
@Malakhii said:
" @Zimbo: Nothing better then putting you're feet up and kicking it to some old swing 

@one_2nd:
 You're not alone brother. I feel like I don't get it. Sounds like alot of wailing to me.  "
It just sounds boring to me. I'm just waiting for that part of the song to come that'll grab me, and it never comes. 
EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By EVHKwick
@RipperSU:  I know exactly how you feel. I'm the only 22-year-old I know who frequently suggests spending a Friday night at the jazz clubs around where I live.
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By neoepoch
@Bruce: They must have been sub-humans.
Drakhir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Drakhir

Anything Visual Kei. I listen to various Visual Kei bands, like Versailles, The GazettE, and Dir en Grey, but most of my friends judge the band by their unorthodox appearance. I personally like it, but my friends just refuse to listen to them, just because of that artistic appearance.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By luce

Mazzy Star

Aphex Twins

Epsilon blue

...I was a weird kid

gunstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By gunstar

my friends have a hard time listening to anything that has shitty production, so recently early pavement, guided by voices, dinosaur jr has really turned them off

EVHKwick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By EVHKwick
@luce: Every time I hear about Aphex Twin, I always think about this picture.

No Caption Provided
CowboyBebopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CowboyBebopper

My friends hate Crystal Castles but I really like them. They're inaccessible as hell but alot of fun to listen to.

Arker101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arker101

I prefer The Beatles, The Eagles, Motley Crue, Led Zeplin, AC/DC, and pretty much Rock/Rock and Rollers between 1960 and 1990. 
I'm not too picky about my genre, but everybody else around me only ever listens to Techno and Rap, and calls everything I listen to "gay".  

So yeah, my friends don't understand"classics."

Vonocourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Vonocourt

Most of my friends listen to rap artists I don't much care for, like T.I., Lil' Wayne, Wiz Khalifa etc. So not many share my indie and sludge tendencies.

hai2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By hai2u

yeah everyone always asks why am i listening to radiohead b/c they are so "weird and depressing." The thing is you require alot of patience to get into radiohead, their songs are not radio friendly or catchy and will not grab ur interest on the first listen it's kind of like an acquired taste. and if you start with some of their weirder stuff (kid a, amnesiac, hail to the thief...) it's really tough to like them. 

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GreggD
@markini6 said:
" Classical music. Between everyone I know there's at least one person that I can talk to about pretty much any band or genre, except for classical music. Even one of my friends who was doing A-level music with piano as his only instrument doesn't like it, saying that modern Japanese compositions for the piano are better.  So I hit him.  In the mouth.    Hard. "
Is he a Japanophile, by chance?
RipperSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By RipperSU

I blame mainstream rap for turning all my friends off from good stuff. While there are definitely more Lil Waynes and 50 Cents than Madlibs and Jay Dillas, there is some fantastic stuff out there.

markini6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#45  Edited By markini6
@GreggD: Nope, just culturally deficient :)
JerichoBlyth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By JerichoBlyth

The Vandals admitidly. I always loved their sense of humour and believe that their style of punk is unmatched. However, none of my friends seem to listen to enough of their albums to 'get' them if you catch my drift.

Another band that I just can't get most of my friends into is Twin Atlantic...although I think that's because of a reason, which is distanced from the music alone and rather by its general fanbase of scene kids. It seems that a lot of new acts are hijacked and claimed by a lot of social groupings these days and it really annoys me that people steer clear of good music because of it being associated with a scene.

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By Aarny91

Almost everything I listen to confuses my friends. They're into the mainstream stuff. Kind of awkward to talk about music I like so I just don't bother.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Scrawnto

Midnight Brown 
Perfume 
Béla Fleck & The Flecktones
Dog Traders 
Funtastic Power  
Some of it isn't necessarily music they don't understand. They just wouldn't have ever heard of it.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By GreggD
@markini6 said:
" @GreggD: Nope, just culturally deficient :) "
=/
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By HandsomeDead

Over the years, I've tended to only listen to emo shit, gay shit, Nazi shit, shit for freaks and get people looking at me all confused when I say I listen to Snoop Dogg, DMX, Big Boi etc. It's gotten better with time but a lot of people I know either have no real interest in music, listen to generic stuff or actually genuinely share the same kind of taste so it doesn't really creep up that much.