• 62 results
BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By BackseatBoss

Hello everybody.Welcome to my first blog post.Here I will try write a little about todays mainstream music.If you have any thoughts on this subject,feel free to leave a comment bellow. 
Music is one of my favorite things in this world.I just can't live without it.Saddly,music has changed a lot,especially mainstream music.Today mainstream music is populated with a lot of really dumb songs and even dumber singers(I use the term singers loosely).Seriously,thanks to T-Pain even I can become a singer,becouse of the little thing called "Auto-Tune".Songs have stupid lyrics and really annoying beats,that get stuck in your head pretty quickly.I mean the other day on the radio I heard some Justin Bieber song(God I hate him) and even though I heard only about 30 seconds of it,it got stuck in my head for the whole day. 
My favorite genre of music is rap.Sadly most of the rap songs on the radio are fake thug songs about jewelery,women,money,cars...Somehow lyrical songs have no place for the radio.I mean you will never hear rappers like The Roots,CYNE,Fashawn,Jay Electronica,P.O.S. or Atmosphere getting plays on major radio stations. 
So all in all what do you think happened to the music?Do you think any lyrical songs will get plays on the radio?Or do you like todays music. 
P.S. Please excuse me if I made any grammatical mistakes in this blog.

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BackseatBoss

Hello everybody.Welcome to my first blog post.Here I will try write a little about todays mainstream music.If you have any thoughts on this subject,feel free to leave a comment bellow. 
Music is one of my favorite things in this world.I just can't live without it.Saddly,music has changed a lot,especially mainstream music.Today mainstream music is populated with a lot of really dumb songs and even dumber singers(I use the term singers loosely).Seriously,thanks to T-Pain even I can become a singer,becouse of the little thing called "Auto-Tune".Songs have stupid lyrics and really annoying beats,that get stuck in your head pretty quickly.I mean the other day on the radio I heard some Justin Bieber song(God I hate him) and even though I heard only about 30 seconds of it,it got stuck in my head for the whole day. 
My favorite genre of music is rap.Sadly most of the rap songs on the radio are fake thug songs about jewelery,women,money,cars...Somehow lyrical songs have no place for the radio.I mean you will never hear rappers like The Roots,CYNE,Fashawn,Jay Electronica,P.O.S. or Atmosphere getting plays on major radio stations. 
So all in all what do you think happened to the music?Do you think any lyrical songs will get plays on the radio?Or do you like todays music. 
P.S. Please excuse me if I made any grammatical mistakes in this blog.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By mesoian

Traditional radio is dead and should be considered as such. At it's not that music has changed, it's just that the appeal of the young has shifted. The roots, J Dilla, Aesop Rock, MF Doom, they're all still active. They've simply been pushed underground. 

Thankfully we live in a world where last.fm, pandora and slacker radio exist; tools that can bring us music that we consider timeless while introducing us to people who's sound hits the same musical vein.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By turboman

music lives on the internet now, not on TV and Radio. 

/thread

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Lies

Radio ain't the place to be looking for quality music, especially hip hop. Lots of good stuff still gets produced and released, often for free as mixtapes. Stuff like

Album is fantastic, released two months ago. Unfortunately it's not in the US itunes store so you might have to pirate it :/

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189
BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BackseatBoss
@Mesoian:  Well you're lucky,that last.fm,pandora and slacker radio play in your country.In my country you can't get any of those sites,except for last.fm,but if you want to listen to it,you have to pay them,which really sucks.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

I mostly listen to ESPN Radio anymore and there is 1 rock station that's alright in my area.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By kmdrkul

Oh look, this thread again.

Welcome to GB nonetheless.

TwinkieTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TwinkieTime

Where have you been all these years.  Teen bands and the word "baby" have taken over the whole industry, DragonForce is the only band holding back the little girls, but they are fighting a losing battle.

Avatar image for addictedtopinescent
addictedtopinescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Music on the tv and radio is completely dead, don't even bother

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GunslingerPanda

The problem is that things just ain't the same for gangsters; times is changing, young *ahem* is aging.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By HandsomeDead
First D.J.: Okay, campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties 'cause it's cooooold out there today. 
Second D.J.: It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Miami Beach? 
First D.J.: Not hardly. And you know, you can expect hazardous travel later today with that, you know, that, uh, that blizzard thing. 
Second D.J.: [mockingly] That blizzard - thing. That blizzard - thing. Oh, well, here's the report! The National Weather Service is calling for a "big blizzard thing!" 
First D.J.: Yessss, they are. But you know, there's another reason why today is especially exciting. 
Second D.J.: Especially cold! 
First D.J.: Especially cold, okay, but the big question on everybody's lips... 
Second D.J.: - On their chapped lips... 
First D.J.: - On their chapped lips, right: Do ya think Phil is gonna come out and see his shadow? 
Second D.J.: Punxsutawney Phil! 
First D.J.: Thats right, woodchuck-chuckers - it's 
[in unison
First D.J.: GROUNDHOG DAY! 
Second D.J.: GROUNDHOG DAY!
Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've said it before and I'll say it again this is the worst decade of music ever I don't even know if you would call it music,it really makes me miss the 90's

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
@Lies: Damn Straight!!! As much as I love The Old Prince, TSOL is his best album. Let's give them a taste. 

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By crusader8463

Music is just as bad as its always been, the only difference is that now you gotta look harder to find the really good stuff because the nature of how people find music is different. Now we get bombarded with thousands of mediocre songs a day that it's hard to find the few really good ones that you will love forever.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By amoremono1

Every generation says this; the mainstream radio has always been crap, save for a few gems.  Nothing has changed, at all....

the 60's: lame ass dylan/hippie/pop ripoff garbage....

the 70's: lame ass rock ripoff garbage, and floods of lame disco shit

the 80's: lame ass glam metal ripoffs, not to mention whole heaps of awful pop

the 90's: lame ass grunge ripoffs, and the beginnings of bad hip-hop bullshit (esp. "gangsta" rap)

the 2000s= same fucking story, different generation bitching about it

In other words, youve always had to generally move away from all that crap to find good music.  Underground artists will always be the lifeblood of real tunes, and it will never change

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Druminator

Yea I'm sick of hearing lame ass rhymes over weak ass beats created by big wigs for mainstream radio hustlas!

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishan6

Tupac and Biggie died

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dangerousdave

I think music now is better than ever.  People complain about the state of mainstream music, but it's barely changed.  The stuff they played in the '80s and the '90s on TV and the radio were poop too.  As always, you've just had to look for the good music and today, with the help of the internet, you can find some of the most extraordinary music you've ever heard.  With bands like Radiohead, The Shins, Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear, Band of Horses, The Strokes, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Spoon, Cold War Kids and literally hundreds more, I don't think you could compare any other era of music with the sheer variety and quality of bands out there.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By iam3green

this has happened before. music is pretty much dead in the industry. you have to find music now by the internet. there are only like one good radio station that i listen to but the others aren't that great.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Binman88

Let's hope this isn't a foreshadowing of what's to come in the gaming industry - although we're already seeing the signs of it.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jonathan

There's good music in every genre, you just have to search@Mesoian said:

" Traditional radio is dead and should be considered as such. At it's not that music has changed, it's just that the appeal of the young has shifted. The roots, J Dilla, Aesop Rock, MF Doom, they're all still active. They've simply been pushed underground.   Thankfully we live in a world where last.fm, pandora and slacker radio exist; tools that can bring us music that we consider timeless while introducing us to people who's sound hits the same musical vein. "
THIS. Madvilliany is one of the greatest hip-hop albums ever, and it was only released a few years ago.
meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By meteora

Music didn't become shittier, its just harder to find the good stuff.

Mario2544

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By Mario2544

Radio is the place for music that you can dance now, internet is the place for great expressive music

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Here is the modern music maybe you've heard of it. 

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By bravetoaster

This is an endless cycle; the music of today will be shit tomorrow.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

People are STILL complaining about "today's" music?

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By empfeix
I doubt this is a troll thread but seriously, it sounds like you realize there is tons of great music outside of the mainstream.  And its more widespread then ever thanks to are ability to share online. Honestly take a look back mainstream music has always had tons of retarded lyrics and melodies. Anyway since you seem to like rap thats outside of the mainstream, wtf is the problem? 

I like some mainstream music and like none mainstream stuff - don't sweat the bieber shit - its like your forced to listen to it.
blazerx9x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By blazerx9x
@dangerousdave: i`m glad i`m not the only one O_O
gnark1ll420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By gnark1ll420

i can't stand "rappers" who think they can rhyme.  "hey i can rhyme yeah with yeah." hate to say it but that is not rhyming.
Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

There is no music, only ringtones.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Akrid

The good makes the bad. After a long day of having terrible music forced  upon me from any available speaker, coming home and listening to something I really enjoy makes it all the sweeter.

Also, I think the fact that rap is probably the most universally reviled genre (so much so that many musicians do not consider it music at all) speaks wonders about personal diversification and preference. I'm willing to bet I would hate at least 50% of any given persons personal library on this site and vice versa. And I'd generally consider most here to have decent taste.

And of course in ten years it will be crystal clear what defined this era and what was taken from it to form the next.

RankRabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RankRabbit

I like my satellite radio

jinxman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jinxman
@dangerousdave said:
" I think music now is better than ever.  People complain about the state of mainstream music, but it's barely changed.  The stuff they played in the '80s and the '90s on TV and the radio were poop too.  As always, you've just had to look for the good music and today, with the help of the internet, you can find some of the most extraordinary music you've ever heard.  With bands like Radiohead, The Shins, Arcade Fire, Grizzly Bear, Band of Horses, The Strokes, Cymbals Eat Guitars, Spoon, Cold War Kids and literally hundreds more, I don't think you could compare any other era of music with the sheer variety and quality of bands out there. "
this.  if you can't find good modern music you aren't looking very hard.  also listen to indie rock, because this is the decade of awesome indie rock.  i fucking love indie rock.
Emilio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Emilio

It is just the result of the mass production of modern music in such a short time. 

To tell you the truth, I feel like tons of bands these days just try to mimic the sound of yesteryear.

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#36  Edited By tofford

I have had this same rant a lot lately. The radio really is rubbish and the fact that as a student if I want to go out with my friends I have to put up with it in clubs. I am much happier listening to my MP3 and enjoying music. 

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Meltac
@Lies: Shad is amazing :D

And I think music is better than ever, just stay away from the radio.
Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By Chummy8

Step one: Stop listening to the radio. 
Step Two: Start using Slacker or Pandora to listen to the music you actually want to hear. 

I haven't heard mainstream music in so long, I am absolutely clueless when it comes to knowing who any of these new singers are.  I like it that way. 

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SpiralStairs

You know that mainstream radio has always been shit right? If you look up the top 10 songs from any other year before 2000 you'll see that they've been mostly forgotten by now.

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

Damn. You actually listen to rappers I listen to. Never seen that happening.

Anyways, the music scene changed the day Soulja Boy stepped in. That's the way I see it.

SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SpiralStairs
@Mesoian said:
" Traditional radio is dead and should be considered as such. At it's not that music has changed, it's just that the appeal of the young has shifted. The roots, J Dilla, Aesop Rock, MF Doom, they're all still active. They've simply been pushed underground.   Thankfully we live in a world where last.fm, pandora and slacker radio exist; tools that can bring us music that we consider timeless while introducing us to people who's sound hits the same musical vein. "
WUT. J Dilla's dead.
Tarakun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Tarakun

This thread again? 

The music on the radio is Pop music. It has always been like this, ever since Top 40 radio was invented. It's purpose is for parties, high school dances, and clubs. Everyone wants something dumb and fun they can move their body to. I love Underground Rap too, in fact I've been listening to an Atmosphere album all week, but it's dark, soulful music that really has no place at a party or a dance club.  

What we really need is more Indie Radio stations that appeal to people who listen to these types of music. It's the classic "You are not the target audience for this" situation again. The kinds of music you want to hear is not on the radio because Top 40 radio plays Pop music, and people like Atmosphere (while awesome) just aren't Pop music.  

As for the T-Pain thing, Auto-tune doesn't make everyone an amazing singer. Auto-tune doesn't give your voice presence. It doesn't give your voice soul. It just fixes your pitch. You still have to be able to sing. Often you'll find that the person using Auto-tune is a talented musician without it, and just uses it because it sounds cool. T-pain writes all his music. He's a pretty good producer too. And as he says in this video, you're "knocking the same shit that feeds [his] kids." Let's not forget that musicians are people, and they have to eat too.  

Personally, I've got room for both. Sometimes you wanna just cut loose and listen to something stupid, and I appreciate that there are people out there making music that is fun. A lot of mainstream music has an heir of ridiculousness to it, and that is why. Because sometimes I don't want to be serious, I just wanna listen to a bass-heavy beat and hear about how paid Akon is

The fact that you can list off a bunch of musicians that you like shows that music is doing just fine. Yes, maybe lyricism is more of a niche culture, but so what? It doesn't make it any less awesome. Why does the mainstream affect how much you enjoy your music?

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#43  Edited By Tireyo

-_- When it comes down to it, it's the matter of personal taste in music. There is good music out there still, just the matter of finding it.

JessicaBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#44  Edited By JessicaBoo

Music to me now is just as good is always been to me, im not the person to listen to radio FM because really they play the same TOP 10 songs OVER AND OVER AND OVERRR.....  

Digital Radio is the key, there are channels specific for what you listen to, and the rare friends are heard there. Like i love rock, and when i mean rock, i like the different genres, from "Rap Rock" "Heavy Metal" "Emo" "Grunge" "Punk Rock", to me Rock is just Rock music dammit!! :D  That is my favorite genre. And i don't like often the SAME ROCK that everyone listen too.. I like my rare babies that not many know.  

But i am south american too, so my latin music is like a natural flavor to my hips and ears. NO THIS DADDY YANKY crap that many call REGGEATON, more like SHITATON. I mean, Salsa, Merengue. Music now day on the Radio FM is just generic, most of them sound the same, boys haven't grown properly, specially that kid.. OH WHATS HIS NAME! the kid the doode mention at the start of the thread. When his 20 - 22 years old his voice is gonna change, and you all boys and girls that like him will notice he cant sing... well he cant now so no difference to me.  

Digital all the way. Internet all the way. LastFM all the way!!! :D
Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Don't panic, Nightmare's out. Music is revived.

Kiemoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By Kiemoe

Someone who says today's music sucks, and that music is their reason to live? Please, go on!

BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By BackseatBoss
@Kiemoe: I'm saying that todays mainstream music  sucks,not that all music sucks.
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By HandsomeDead
@hustlerlt said:
" @Kiemoe: I'm saying that todays mainstream music  sucks,not that all music sucks. "
Define mainstream now and define that same mainstream when you think it was good. Also tell me how old you are.
BackseatBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By BackseatBoss
@HandsomeDead: In todays mainstream music people barely sing in their songs and other musicians that try to sing in their songs,don't have good singing voices and also rarely in songs you hear live music instruments playing.I think music was better in the 90s or 80s,because then you could at least stumble upon some good artists on the radio.I'm not saying,that mainstream music was good before,but at least they used to have a few good musicians on the radio more often then now.Also I'm 18,but that doesn't mean,that I haven't heard any older music.
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By FlipperDesert
@LordXavierBritish said:

" Here is the modern music maybe you've heard of it. 

"
"This video contains content from Vevo, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds."

It's both a comment on the music industry's views of the internet and funny.