NeoGAF and ResetERA seem to talk about this site a lot. Does GB have a similar culture or it is just a coincidence?

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean, I don't exactly see threads about GameFAQs or The Escapist over at ERA and whatnot. But GiantBomb has its own general thread. In fact that's how I found out about this site.

Userbase overlap?

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does anyone talk about GameFAQs outside of GameFAQs? Always struck me as a purgatory of online communities.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It all goes back to Gerstmann-gate. That saga was a huge thing on the internet (and on GAF specifically) back in '08 so the community there latched onto Giant Bomb once they knew what Jeff was doing.

In short; Jeff Gerstmann was a threat then too.

OldSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By OldSnake

As someone that was a part of both communities I can tell you that this site is NOT viewed as a threat. There are many people that are just fans of this site and have overlapping userbases. Not to mention the content Giant Bomb produces like the Bombcast that attracts a bunch of fans. There's also an Easy Allies Thread.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I guess the tradeoff is ResetERA having a more active forum/community, while GB has more professional content in videos and podcasts.

rokuthirteen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By rokuthirteen

@dochaus said:

I guess the tradeoff is ResetERA having a more active forum/community, while GB has more professional content in videos and podcasts.

I think @dochaus is right. Giant Bomb has a community thread on ERA because the site puts out professional content that people follow, and have for years. So the community (GB's) is pretty large.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By MattGiersoni

ERA is just way way more active and discussion moves very fast there, it's really fun and just better to talk over there than here. Plus it's probably the biggest gaming forum at the moment, and even industry figures have accounts there and frequently visit in various threads. As to why there are threads about GB and Easy Allies there, well, both are very popular and my guess is a lot of GB fans are also on ERA.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By htr10

Another thread destined to be filled with ResetERA/NeoGAF users boasting about themselves? There was just one of these not that long ago and we’ve seen these pro-NeoGAF threads going back for almost decade. Yes, the ResetERA/NeoGAF users are in love with themselves. Yes, they want you to believe that they are the more active community because they ignore all the activity that goes on here directly in the Comments sections of videos and podcasts, not to mention now seen in the Giant Bomb Infinite chat.

A couple of the first few posts have already answered the OP’s question. You can guess what I think the mods should do with this thread.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Same reason there are 20,000 subscribers to the Giant Bomb subreddit; ResetERA covers a wider spectrum of internet users than Giant Bomb does, and so users who want to talk about Giant Bomb but are already on that site would rather do it there than come here. There's also something to be said for the moderation style of Giant Bomb versus other websites; it's no Police State, but the standing policy is definitely one of the more heavy handed of any forum I've ever used. The one that always stands out to me is locking old threads that get bumped. Like, in theory I understand why a forum might decide to do that, but in practice I feel like that model stymies certain forms of discussion or recollection of ideas, and renders threads time capsules past a certain point rather than collections of ideas that could someday be re-examined or appraised by a new set of users.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Mister_V

Whilst I will occasionally go to ERA to see what's going on (I mainly use it as a news aggregator) I would never want to be an active user. Their moderation makes North Korea look free and open.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10: Yeah i know right ! I feel like Neogaf/resetera is the Bourgeoisie of videogame forums

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By MocBucket62

Funny I had a thread about this not that long ago. What I learned is that GB has its own forum set up where we can discuss different games or topics where as the ERA thread is a singular thread and plenty of traffic is inside that one thread. Also from what I've learned they is definitely some overlap of users on different forums, but also some GB fans on ERA just prefer how forums are ran their rather than here. I enjoy both frankly!

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

Whilst I will occasionally go to ERA to see what's going on (I mainly use it as a news aggregator) I would never want to be an active user. Their moderation makes North Korea look free and open.

Former GAF and ERA seems like good places to get news. But i could never bring my self to actually visit those place. To me they seemed like negative places this is all just through osmosis. I like my video game stuff lighthearted and not full on serious like its some big political debate.

HarbinLights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

Former GAF and ERA seems like good places to get news. But i could never bring my self to actually visit those place. To me they seemed like negative places this is all just through osmosis. I like my video game stuff lighthearted and not full on serious like its some big political debate.

As someone who plays games like A Hat in Time, knowing awful racists like JonTron are involved. And enjoys games like Xenoblade 2, a very sexualized Nintendo game.

Going through those websites could make me feel like a bad person just for playing them, and was definitely a downer.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I can only imagine that people sometimes want to express their opinions about this website and the people on it in a more open manner, without the fear of any repercussions.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So the general vibe I am getting here is that all three sites should meet up IRL for an Anchorman style battle.

I'm pretty good with a morning star, if I must say.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oldsnake: I was referring to the "Jeff Gerstmann is still a threat" meme, i was not saying that Giant Bomb is a threat.