Neon Genesis Evangelion, I wonder why I haven't watched it

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Godwind

I wouldn't consider myself a huge anime fan even though my sister thinks I am.  Ironically, she watches more Anime than myself.  I will say that I am a fan of the Gundam series and own quite a bit of a collection.   I am missing a few series on DVD such as Gundam Seed Destiny as well as Spin Offs, Gundam 00, SD Gundam, Turn A Gundam and a few other DVDs. My favorite Gundam to date is either Zeta Gundam  or Gundam ZZ

Now, This Discussion isn't being formed to talk about Gundam, it is about Neon Genesis Evangelion.  Neon Genesis Evangenlion is regarded as one of the best anime ever made.  There are even non-anime fans who I have met and enjoyed it.  No matter what, it always has been something I avoided watching.  The question is, Why?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

inb4becauseyoutouchyourselfatnight

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

inb4animeareforjerks

And watch it. It's actually good.

Artix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Artix

A better question would be: who cares?
Go watch it and figure it out for yourself? Really, we aren't psychologists here.

Though if by some chance you do go and watch it; don't. Watch Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann instead.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By Icemael

Because you touch yourself at day, and anime is for douchebags.

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Pazy

There is definitely a certain "weight" given to Evangelion since its held up as the greatest example of anime and the, apparently, some of the deepest fiction that changes lives. It took me years to even think about watching it because of this, when I did finally give it a chance i loved the first 20 episodes and then it started getting "deep" and I got lost.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain

I really liked Neon Genesis, didn't catch the last few eps though. Really good series I though. 

Big O is another good series. Just thought i'd mention it randomly noone ever seems to mention Big O.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Shadow

It's not that great.  It's alright, but nothing even close to worth the worship people give it.

Artix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Artix
@Icemael said:
" Because you touch yourself at day, and anime is for douchebags. "
Gee, aren't you just a delightful kid!
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Icemael
@Pazy said:
" There is definitely a certain "weight" given to Evangelion since its held up as the greatest example of anime and the, apparently, some of the deepest fiction that changes lives."
I hate it when people say shit like that. An anime doesn't change your fucking life. And if it does, your life must be pretty damn shallow.

I read most of the manga. Liked it at first, but then it just got boring and I couldn't be bothered continuing.
Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Black_Rose

Watch it. NOW!  

But. Don't expect it to be a Gundam-like experience, Eva is nothing like other animes.

Artix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Artix
@Icemael said:

" @Pazy said:

" There is definitely a certain "weight" given to Evangelion since its held up as the greatest example of anime and the, apparently, some of the deepest fiction that changes lives."
I hate it when people say shit like that. An anime doesn't change your fucking life. And if it does, your life must be pretty damn shallow. I read most of the manga. Liked it at first, but then it just got boring and I couldn't be bothered continuing. "
Why not? Any sort of media can be life perception changing. I know you think you sound like a badass, but the truth is, most of us have that one game/movie/book/tv show/etc that greatly impacted us. Yes you're insanely cool for living such a rich and diverse life that nothing will ever impact it, but for the rest of us honest and normal people, we actually feel emotional attachment to certain things.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By jmrwacko
@Artix said:
" @Icemael said:

" @Pazy said:

I hate it when people say shit like that. An anime doesn't change your fucking life. And if it does, your life must be pretty damn shallow. I read most of the manga. Liked it at first, but then it just got boring and I couldn't be bothered continuing. "
Why not? Any sort of media can be life perception changing. I know you think you sound like a badass, but the truth is, most of us have that one game/movie/book/tv show/etc that greatly impacted us. Yes you're insanely cool for living such a rich and diverse life that nothing will ever impact it, but for the rest of us honest and normal people, we actually feel emotional attachment to certain things. "
Emotionally weighted is different from lifechanging. Really, the only type of media that should be able to "change" one's life is a documentary, something that reveals an issue and asks its audience to take some sort of action. Evangelion may make you stare at your wall for the next week out of sheer shock (non-spoiler - the ending is majorly fucked up), but it won't change your perception of shit, except maybe make you a little depressed.
jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jmrwacko
@Black_Rose said:
" Watch it. NOW!   But. Don't expect it to be a Gundam-like experience, Eva is nothing like other animes. "
Actually, I thought Eva had a lot in common with Akira when I watched it. Of course, the plot's decidedly different, but it has similar situations, especially in regards to the finale.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MikkaQ

Wow I dunno what you dudes are getting out of robots fighting each other, I mean it's fun to watch for sure, but life changing? Yikes. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Icemael
@Artix said:
" @Icemael said:

" @Pazy said:

Why not? Any sort of media can be life perception changing. I know you think you sound like a badass, but the truth is, most of us have that one game/movie/book/tv show/etc that greatly impacted us. Yes you're insanely cool for living such a rich and diverse life that nothing will ever impact it, but for the rest of us honest and normal people, we actually feel emotional attachment to certain things. "
Of course I get emotionally invested in fiction. I mean, if I don't, it's not very good fiction. But I've never, ever read, seen and/or listened to fiction that has come anywhere close to qualifying as "life-changing". A loved one dying or getting seriously ill can be life-changing. Getting a new job or starting a new school can be life-changing. Moving to another city or getting to know a new person can be life-changing.

A fucking anime about mechas is not life-changing.
Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pazy
@Icemael said:
" @Pazy said:
Im not trying to say it changes life, for me it was good but in the end just got confusing, but enough people say that to affect how you approach it before hand.
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Well worth the watch.

Avatar image for deactivated-633355e1dd700
deactivated-633355e1dd700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm 29 years old, I've watched anime since I was a kid. I like a lot of it. I didn't see what was so great about EVA. Starts out somewhat interesting but the characters quickly seem two dimensional. The episodes degrade into a cycle of crying, screaming and passing out in a big robot. Seemed to me the more interesting elements of the show were never explored. Maybe I just didn't "get" it or maybe it's extremely overrated, yeah that's all.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Icemael
@Pazy said:
" @Icemael said:
" @Pazy said:
Im not trying to say it changes life, for me it was good but in the end just got confusing, but enough people say that to affect how you approach it before hand. "
Oh, it wasn't aimed at you. It was aimed at the people who go "THIS IS THE GREATEST THING I'VE EVER SEEN MY LIFE WILL TOTALLY NEVER BE THE SAME OMG :3"
Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Cwaff

I haven't watched it either yet, I might give it a go after Twin Peaks and Band of Brothers.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By REDRUN

Believe it or not, Neon Genesis Evangelion first aired back in the Fall of 1995. Meanwhile, anime fans were now talking more about Dragon Ball going a new spin-off (Dragon Ball Z), the latest Gundam series and Sony launched their first console almost a year ago. When I was in Okinawa at the time this series stunned the Japanese primetime anime audience. Almost overnight Neon Genesis Evangelion merchandise and advertisements were everywhere when Drangon Ball and Slayers were king. It never crossed my mind that this was a beginning of a great anime phenomenal at the time.

I taped as much of it as possible with a VHS recorder and try to translate as much as could on my own and constantly go to my friend who spoke it better than I could. This method sucked ass because the technology was there to upload and have fansites  translate, edit and redistribute when in fact it was 1996 and owning a PC with 16MB RAM, 500MB HDD and an AOL ISP through a 28k Modem has the word  "FAIL" written all over it.

Anyways, the series did something at the time when most were clones of giant robot battle series and dudes on steroids screaming with the hemorrhoid-face. Where most series that previously dabbled in freudian behavior (ie; "Ghost in the Shell" back in 1991) or undertones, Evangelion took it the next step. The set pieces, sound effects, layers of dialogue and character interaction tell a much bigger story all together. The series is deep and you could easily get lost in the noise, but I find it to be one of the most satisfying series out to date.  Even with its flaws, I appreciated that the production studio, Gainex, do produce gems like these.

For fans of the series and people new to it, I recommend watching the "Evangelion 1.11 You Are (Not) Alone" version. This is one of three new rebuilds for re-release of the series which is remastered in HD with 266 audio and visual enhancements just in the first of the trilogy. Its the first 6 episodes edited down to a movie format. I really enjoyed this version better especially the Blu-ray version where you can enjoy all the enhancements unlike some other studios who did just to bleed the fans of more money (*cough Star Wars). The pacing in the story was more refined in way the experience is of what you would get from a well crafted movie.

It was great the second time around almost 15 years after of the original air date. Kind of ironic without movie spoilers ;)
RedneckedCrake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By RedneckedCrake
@hematurge said:

"I'm 29 years old, I've watched anime since I was a kid. I like a lot of it. I didn't see what was so great about EVA. Starts out somewhat interesting but the characters quickly seem two dimensional. The episodes degrade into a cycle of crying, screaming and passing out in a big robot. Seemed to me the more interesting elements of the show were never explored. Maybe I just didn't "get" it or maybe it's extremely overrated, yeah that's all. " 

I'd probably have to agree with this guy more than anything. I thought it was cool with the different way they tackled each Angel, and the characters themselves were pretty interesting, but it got old fast. The two main characters, Asuka and Shinji, are pretty weak individuals who can't hack piloting the EVAs. Granted, they're only kids and both of them have a pretty rough past, but they were pretty frustrating to deal with during the entire show. Misato is the only character I liked, and even she was pretty bad at some parts. 

The characters were probably made that way on purpose to demonstrate human flaw or something of that nature, and if that's what they were going for, they accomplished it. However, I found the whole series and all the characters to be way too....bitchy, I guess you could say. 

Still, if you watch Evangelion at a young enough age without having seen enough anime, you'll definitely have it mess with you a bit. It's got some deeper physcological themes that aren't easy for some people to handle.