User Lists: 3

Let the hype begin

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

It was pretty dope. I also had no idea the black kid that's a fallen Stormtrooper was the Jedi in this film. Guess I hadn't been keeping up on the story as much as I thought I was.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Looks great. I do think maybe the tone is a little dour but maybe that's just the trailer? Not that it couldn't be a great movie with that tone, but I like my Star Wars a little more up beat.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still looks like Star Wars, which is good if that's what you want! Until I see it I won't really know the importance of the two new main characters, but god damn if the music and sounds don't instantly trigger that part of my mind that makes me smile

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Looks fantastic. The music is so god damn powerful.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By hassun

I will never understand people foaming at the mouth for this stuff (or pretty much anything else for that matter). Especially since you can expect the story to be very inconclusive for a whole bunch of years to come.

Looks OK though. I've noticed Mark Hamill is curiously absent from the poster and the trailer, unless that's him in the hood stroking R2D2 and prosthetic hand tech has taken a serious step back since the last Star Wars.

Either way I know I will get some entertainment out of it

Loading Video...

because RLM exists.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the bad guy looks and sounds stupid, but otherwise it seems pretty promising. Though I could stand for a tiny bit less Original Trilogy nostalgia... "Yo, you guys still like X-Wings and stormtroopers and shit, right?"

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@hassun said:

I will never understand people foaming at the mouth for this stuff (or pretty much anything else for that matter).

LOL I feel bad for you here buddy.

I think Luke will be a "surprise" in the movie.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTA_Luciana

So here's the thing: Kylo Ren's talking to the Vader mask saying "I'll finish what you started," but Vader didn't start shit. He was just a weapon that the Emperor wielded. He was the Big Boss to the Emperor's Major Zero. In-universe, Vader was really only a high-ranking heavy. It's only because we in the real world like Vader that he's become so important in the movies. So for this reason, I'm calling that Luke will turn out to be the leader of the Knights of Ren, of which Kylo is a member. Because why would anyone other than Luke be obsessed with Vader? (all speculation of course)

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucien_lachance: Nah Kylo Ren is the actor Adam Driver. You can see him unmasked from the back at the end of the trailer. And Luke is in the trailer for a second with R2-D2.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTA_Luciana

@top8gamer: I'm not saying he's Kylo Ren. I'm saying he's Kylo Ren's boss, who's gone incommunicado with the rest of the rebels and is commanding the Knights of Ren.

Top8Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Top8Gamer

@lucien_lachance: Ah yea I see what you're saying. I just don't see how Luke goes from the end of episode VI and then becomes a bad guy unless they have some serious backstory to fill in or are just going for some kind of M. Night Shyamalan twist factor and couldn't care less about making sense.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By hassun

@lucien_lachance: Imagine him finding out during the film that Vader was nothing but a supremely talented child who basically ruined everything though his own incompetence, stupidity, immaturity and egotism.

Now that's something that could truly turn a person to the dark side.

That, and sand of course. Fuck sand.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Looks super cool, good star wars movies should be enforced by law. If J.J. Abrams messes it up, we exile him to whatever island Lucas is now on.

My biggest concern is that they'll shoehorn in the old characters and that Harrison Ford is old which will make me sad =(

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

I'll admit that this trailer did more for me than the last few, mostly because it was probably more than "Look! TIE FIGHTERS! Look! THE MILLENNIUM FALCON! Look! 'HARRISON FORD SAYING WE'RE HOME CHEWIE!' ARE YOU NOT EXCITED YET?!"

That said, I am tempering my expectations. I came away from "Star Trek: Into Darkness" disappointed, and I fear that it would be entirely too easy for Abrams to repeat the same mistakes in this movie.

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 4

@toastburner_b: Was "Star Trek: Into Darkness" only disappointing for fans of Star Trek? I have never seen any of the older movies or any episode of the various TV shows. The only Star Trek-related things I've seen are the two Abrams movies, which I liked the first (didn't love it) but loved the second. I'm always surprised to hear that people were lukewarm on "Into Darkness"...

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By TheHT

@lucien_lachance: Could be a reference to Order 66 and the role Vader played in the Empire. Sure Poppa Palpatine was the guy behind it all, but Vader was out there "getting shit done." Seems like a big thing this movie's going to explore is the way the rest of the Galaxy viewed the events of the original trilogy, with the good youngins talking to Han Solo about them days and Kylo Ren all kneely to Burnt Vader.

That's actually the thing I'm most excited for: to see reactions to the old heroes and their legendary stories. Then of course is seeing where things actually went afterwards.

The most intriguing part of the trailer for me is seeing Kylo Ren seemingly torturing Poe. Would be interesting if they ended up making him fall to the dark side so early in the trilogy and serve the New Order, or even just killing him. I hope they don't kill him! I really like Oscar Isaac. Maybe they kill Kylo Ren and have Poe take his place. I think having Luke be the big bad would be preeeeeeeeetty shitty, but I'd be open to seeing how they'd try to make it work.

Also, those are some bootleg-ass stormtroopers. Something about them just looks like cheap knockoffs. Phasma looks dope though.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#18  Edited By mike

I don't even want to watch this. I feel like I've seen too much of this film as it is. I don't want to watch the trailer only to feel like it's one of those that showed entirely too much of the movie. It's fine though, less than two months to go now.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Man, the music, so many gorgeous locations that are all turned into battlegrounds, that look of fear on John Boyega's face when Kylo Ren readies up his lightsaber....

All aboard the hype train, ya'll.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm super hyped for this movie!

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Whitestripes09

Honestly, all this speculation on Luke makes me worried that they went with the whole Emperor Palpatine's spirit still exists and he possesses Luke's body storyline. I just can't think of any other reason why they would want to hide him so much unless there's some real hype thing we don't know about Luke yet. I'm sure this would have been more cheesy, but what exactly are the Knights of Ren? Didn't they recently say that Kylo Ren was just a title much like Darth Vader? Because it seems like they're definitely more like Knights of Vadar than whatever "Ren" is.

Also this trailer definitely feels more Empire Strikes Back than A New Hope. I'm also not really sure how I feel about that. Are we going to start with the cliff hangers this soon?

Beyond that though, I feel visually this is probably going to be the best space fantasy movie ever.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaypb08: One of the biggest criticisms people had of Abrams' Star Trek movies is that they were too action-heavy and felt more like Star Wars.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23  Edited By Evilsbane

@mike said:

I don't even want to watch this. I feel like I've seen too much of this film as it is. I don't want to watch the trailer only to feel like it's one of those that showed entirely too much of the movie. It's fine though, less than two months to go now.

You should watch it there is literally no spoilers in this trailer they have been doing a good job keeping the real story beats on the down low I still am not sure whats going on, Luke not being there is really intriguing.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So here's the thing: Kylo Ren's talking to the Vader mask saying "I'll finish what you started," but Vader didn't start shit. He was just a weapon that the Emperor wielded. He was the Big Boss to the Emperor's Major Zero. In-universe, Vader was really only a high-ranking heavy. It's only because we in the real world like Vader that he's become so important in the movies. So for this reason, I'm calling that Luke will turn out to be the leader of the Knights of Ren, of which Kylo is a member. Because why would anyone other than Luke be obsessed with Vader? (all speculation of course)

Pretty sure he's talking about exterminating the Jedi, which would lead him to hunt Luke down. But who knows, really.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It's true. All of it. The Dark Side, the Jedi. They're real."

CRYING

Toastburner_B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

@jaypb08: I think being a fan of Star Trek before the new Star Trek movies did take away a lot of the enjoyment of "Into Darkness" for me. Important scenes of "Into Darkness" are pretty much copies of what happened in the second Star Trek movie, "Wrath of Khan", only with Spock and Kirk trading places. For example, in "Wrath of Khan" it's Spock who goes down into the engine room and sacrifices himself to save the ship, as compared to "Into Darkness" where Kirk does it. Any of course everyone knows that only reason why Spock yells "KHAN!" is because Kirk so famously did so in "Wrath of Khan." So, basically, in a lot of scenes that were supposed to be emotional in "Into Darkness", I just sat there and said to myself, "Oh, it's like that scene in 'Wrath of Khan,' only not as good."

So, given how nostalgia heavy a lot of the "The Force Awakens" trailers have been, I don't think I'm too crazy in being afraid that Abrams will try to do the same thing in a new Star Wars movie. I hope I'm wrong, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

@evilsbane: Thanks, I'll think about it!

I got my tickets today for the only IMAX theater in California showing Star Wars in 2D on one of their new next gen laser projectors.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@whitestripes09:The Rebel Allaince is now called the Resistance right? So maybe things didn't turn all sunshine and rainbows after RotJ, and Luke still has to cloak it while he goes about his business, whatever that might be.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how much of this will be "Star wars fan service the movie" and how much will actually be good. I saw all the second trillogy in the theater even knowing how bad the last 2 were probably going to be, i wonder if i'll go see this one. It HAS to be better than those right? RIGHT? ;-0

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@jaypb08: I think being a fan of Star Trek before the new Star Trek movies did take away a lot of the enjoyment of "Into Darkness" for me. Important scenes of "Into Darkness" are pretty much copies of what happened in the second Star Trek movie, "Wrath of Khan", only with Spock and Kirk trading places. For example, in "Wrath of Khan" it's Spock who goes down into the engine room and sacrifices himself to save the ship, as compared to "Into Darkness" where Kirk does it. Any of course everyone knows that only reason why Spock yells "KHAN!" is because Kirk so famously did so in "Wrath of Khan." So, basically, in a lot of scenes that were supposed to be emotional in "Into Darkness", I just sat there and said to myself, "Oh, it's like that scene in 'Wrath of Khan,' only not as good."

So, given how nostalgia heavy a lot of the "The Force Awakens" trailers have been, I don't think I'm too crazy in being afraid that Abrams will try to do the same thing in a new Star Wars movie. I hope I'm wrong, but I am prepared to be disappointed.

I think Abrhams is roped in a little bit since this movies are basically made by committee. I hope so at least.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Brackstone

@toastburner_b:This is my big worry as well. Even from the trailers and the little they've revealed through preview events, there are just so many similarities to the original trilogy. As you said, I'm already going "oh that thing's like the Death Star, and that guy's like Grand Moff Tarkin" and "oh that lady is really similar to Luke, boring life on a desert planet and all". I'm worried it's going to be like the film Predators, basically. Faithful but lacking an identity of it's own.

diamonddave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cried hard. Didn't expect that reaction. The music and sound effects of the TIE fighters hit me hard. My music professor said that music is a differential between humans and robots; humans can compose and interpret music in ways exponential than that of robots. I'm not sure if it is pure nostalgia, or the the wonderful composition of the music, but either way, it strikes a chord.

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ShadyPingu

I like the swoopy digital camera work in the dogfighting scenes. That stuff looks really cool.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For now I can say at least it looks and sounds great.

But I'm with other people here and kind of worried about that Darth Vader reference. It just really makes no sense. Darth Vader never really stood for anything in the fiction. He was loyal muscle to the Emperor for the series. He was a war hero during the Clone Wars and outside of rebel factions a hero for helping kill off those bad Jedis. The only thing that could be a platform or movement of his was killing the Emperor at the end of his life. But then why would the guy that is looking up to him be with the new Empire faction.

At this point the only references to Darth Vader in the fiction should be Luke passing down the story of him to friends and family. Or on the Empire side. "Hey remember that great commander with the mask who fucked up and got two Death Stars destroyed and the Emperor killed? Don't be that guy".

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc86d541ecee
deactivated-5fc86d541ecee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope Adam Driver spends most of his screen-time unmasked because I find it incredibly distracting how much Kylo Ren looks like Darth Revan going through a goth phase.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The cinema nerd side of me really admires the cinematography. I would like to know who is the cinematographer for this. I'll look it up eventually

Other than it looks like the Star Wars that I want. Not those groan inducing prequals that Lucas fucked up. Also are they running with the whole "Luke being a hermit" storyline that keeps popping up every now and then? If that is the case i want to see how they factor that into the story.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Blackout62

Oh dear, I fear I may have been given too much by that trailer. I've gotten too much to intuit on and lost a lot of the mystique.

Also :26, am I crazy or was that Serenity?

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NegativeCero

I'm not even a big Star Wars guy, but I'm hyped as fuck for this movie. The hype train has been done perfectly. Now it either delivers or disappoints. There is no in-between.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brackstone

For all the people speculating about that shot of Kylo Ren talking over Darth Vader's mask, I feel like it's more likely that the shot and dialogue are unrelated or taken out of context, and just placed together for effect in the trailer. It's an extremely common practice in movie trailers, and seems like the simplest answer.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i am so erect

Avatar image for deactivated-58ca104190dca
deactivated-58ca104190dca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This trailer doesn't make much sense, assuming since ewoks can take out the empire's finest storm troopers with sticks & rocks after a few decades they have now obviously taken over the universe but I didn't see any? Also the main sith looks too tall to be one.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh yeah, and that ruined ship interior in the beginning reminds me of a map in Dark Forces II. I think it was the level where you fight Sariss, also a multiplayer map if I recall correctly. There was an interior area that looked pretty similar, angled floor and all. No sand though, I think. Not saying that's where they got it from, because of course not, but still, it's neat. Or at least I enjoyed it.

For something that stirs up so much nostalgia, to be reminded of Jedi Knight of all things sure feels nice.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh. Videos are fine and all, but does anybody know a website where I can see all the best moments as gifs?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

At this point my dominant feeling on this movie is that it doesn't matter how cool the trailers are, I just need to see it for myself and hope it gets somewhere near the impossible expectations that have been lofted upon it.

wildpomme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't gave a shit about Star Wars in a long time, and I still don't give a shit about Star Wars. This trailer though makes it look like this might be a good movie all on its own, irrespective of being Star Wars. I wasn't planning on seeing it, but I think I'm gonna check it out now. I'll probably wait a week or so after it releases though because I bet the crowds for this movie are gonna be huge.

DarkbeatDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

The Force Awakens... Man, just the title is chilling. It's a reminder that something you believed in once is coming back. It's nostalgia being packed up and neatly wrapped with a bowtie for people like me who were born in '79 and had our childhood take the brunt of the Star Wars hype.

When Sony put out that ad for Battlefront yesterday, it wasn't just selling me the memories of Star Wars, but the memories of those years spend with that one person who was (and still is in my case) your best friend. Even in our our adult lives, where we live in different countries and don't see each other that often, things like this Awakens the nostalgic memories of our childhood in a scary way.

I'm so back on board for Star Wars that it isn't even funny.

@razzuel said:

...I bet the crowds for this movie are gonna be huge.

At least we all carry space-age super computers in our pocket, allowing us to buy tickets in an instant via the information super-highway. Not like back in the day where you had to line up and wait for your turn to see the movie :D

No Caption Provided

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I decided the last trailer was going to be my last one. I know I'm going to watch it in December anyway. Don't want to spoil too much.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#49 FinalDasa  Moderator

@hassun: It's fun to be excited for things? Who cares if people get hyped over dumb movies with laser blasters, it's fun and harmless.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Wow, actually looks like it might be good. Definitely has a different atmosphere than past films. This one might actually be what we were waiting for. MIGHT being the word. Don't everybody get too excited now, k?