New Router

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By mikey87144

So I'm in the market for a brand new one and I was wondering if any of you have bought one recently. My Price Range is $200. I was thinking about getting this one but the user reviews on Newegg and cnet seem to suggest that it's a bit of a toss up as to whether it works or not. This one also seems like a good option also. Any advice would be great.

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@mikey87144: Whoa, 200 is quite a price tag.

Is there actually any reason to purchases a 200 dollar router compared to a fifty dollar one?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@e30bmw: I went their first but they said to wait. Also the user reviews haven't been kind to one they recommended.

@sexytoad: Much faster speeds and better performance for all your wireless devices.

Mirado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Mirado

@mikey87144: RT-N66U, as listed by @e30bmw. I own it, it's rock steady, the performance is stellar, and the range is incredible. In the six months that I've had it, I've only reset it once, it handles a massive amount of simultaneous connections without fail (10,000+), has been able to stream movies to other devices without a hitch (including ripped Blu-Rays with high bitrates), and it's able to put out over a megabyte a second after going through five walls and 100 feet of distance, where my previous router could barely manage a tenth of that.

Unless you have a burning need for the new 802.11AC spec, there's little downside.

EDIT: And it's barely $130, so you're saving a chunk of cash.