• 93 results
GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By GnaTSoL

I've been seeing lots of job threads recently and to be honest, most seem grimm. Let's give hope to those in the job market or looking to find what steps to take in their working life.

If you love your job and want to tell others about it please describe here. Like, what makes it great to you and maybe steps you took to get where you are. Is it a rewarding career, the laid-back dream, lucrative, simple, the perfect pocket money job, etc. Things like that!

I hope this thread inspires others towards finding jobs they love, degree or not. Because at the end of the day, we all just wanna be happy and having a satisfying job goes a long way in aiding that. :-)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By monkeyking1969

I work in a library...I get to build computers with kids. (Just built a Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core, Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked, on a 'admittedly low-rent Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150).

Moreover, I can play with our MakerBot 3D printer...and we have a 'stupid expensive' 3D scanner as well.

I like my job! (Okay, I cannot do the above everyday...still a cool job.)

No my own design, but this is something I printed off thingiverse.com/.

This print too 8hr 32 min, this is the 5 hr mark.
This print too 8hr 32 min, this is the 5 hr mark.
cat skull is 4.5
cat skull is 4.5" long, 4.5" tall and 2" wide
The clear 'Pearlescent' color make details hard to see in teh photo, but it is pretty damn detailed Sabertooth Tiger skull w/o teeth in this pic.
The clear 'Pearlescent' color make details hard to see in teh photo, but it is pretty damn detailed Sabertooth Tiger skull w/o teeth in this pic.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I think I'll be very happy with my job if I get it (within the next few days). I'll be a grocery replenishment clerk. A job with a simple task: restock shelves, low stress and minimal contact with customers. Mmmm.

If all goes well, PS4, here I come.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm working towards getting a job I think I will like a lot. Currently I'm in outside sales and I don't like the daily process as much as I thought I would. Hopefully within the next month I'll start working at City Hall working on interesting problems.

OneLoneClone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By OneLoneClone

I do UX design and really like it. It incorporates graphic design, interaction design and cognitive psychology. I'm never bored.

It is very competitive, though. Sometimes you need a thick skin to respond well to criticism during design reviews.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Sinusoidal

I've taught English to Korean middle school girls for 10 years now. Sometimes I want to smack a few of them upside the head, but I wouldn't if I didn't care, and for the most part it's incredibly rewarding and interesting. And eye-opening. The Korean public school system is a wonder to behold both in what it does right and what it does wrong.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am a self-employed graphic designer making pretty things for a some very nice clients. Been doing my own thing for about 12 years now.

When I got out of school and started working in the field I said to myself "I don't want to ever start my own business". Then, things fell into my lap and the opportunity presented itself, and it was the best thing that I ever did. It has great days and not-so-great days; but if I have my way, I will never work in an office under someone else's employ, ever again.

Jnal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I don't mind my job right now as a dispatcher for a small cable company. It pays ok and the benefits are really good but its mind numbing and boring work and I want to do more. I have a Bachelors in History doing work that barely requires a GED. I'm trying to self learn Ruby right now but its on again off again when I have time so its going super slow. I think part of it is I don't want to be in the area I grew up in for the rest of my life. Its a small college town that has mostly bars and nothing else. After visiting New York and San Francisco I feel I would want to live in a city environment. The problem is no one takes you seriously when you apply out of state. Sorry I didn't mean to sound grim. In the end I do like my job its just so boring.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SpaceInsomniac
@sinusoidal said:

I've taught English to Korean middle school girls for 10 years now. Sometimes I want to smack a few of them upside the head, but I wouldn't if I didn't care, and for the most part it's incredibly rewarding and interesting. And eye-opening. The Korean public school system is a wonder to behold both in what it does right and what it does wrong.

This sounds like it would be a very interesting blog post. I know I'd read it.

helvetica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969: That is so cool! Have you made anything else? We have 3D printers ranging from the cheap doodle pen to the more expensive ones, but I've never gone through the training to learn how to make anything. I want to make cookie cutters with those things.

dkessler175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After 9 long years in retail I finally landed a Job with which I can say I am truly in love with. It was a start up custom clothing company in 2003 that has grown exponentially over that past 11 years, I am working on the order fulfillment team (m-f, 8-5, hour lunch, bonuses, benefits etc...) but each day we work hand in hand with the print shop, the custom threads shop and now with the expanding custom business supplies. The growth rate in my department alone for the last 3 months is up over 300% compared to last year, I'm super excited to be on the ground level of this up and comer.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in the film/tv industry and spend a lot of my days meeting musicians and celebrities. I get to fly around the country and go to music festivals (while getting backstage access) and generally have an awesome time. So, yeah, I love what I do.

Avatar image for rubberbabybuggybumpers
RubberBabyBuggyBumpers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I worked 8 hours yesterday and made $600. I made just as much today in the same amount of hours. What do I do for a living? I haul crude oil in the Panhandle region of the US. It doesn't really feel like "work." The only dangers are the shitty, clueless, thoughtless drivers and H2S gas exposure. Sometimes I haul natural gas. I can't wear anything that is prone to causing static electricity. When I want a break from the oil and natural gas fields, I'll dabble with hauling anhydrous ammonia. That's real fun stuff!

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in a used bookstore and while it's not the most exciting/best paying job ever, it's a lot of fun. Get to do everything from manning the register, to buying books that people bring in by the truckload, to running books out to the sections, to bringing in boxes of shipment.

The coolest thing about it are all the cool things people bring in to sell us. Like hard to find CD's, LP's and video games. Many of which I end up getting :D For example, one lady recently brought in a bunch of classic CRPG's such as Baldur's Gate I and II, Icewind Dale I and II, and Diablo II.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am so jealous of all yall.

I have worked about 15 different jobs in the last ten years.

I am now resigned to making my own way in the world because I am 100% sure at this stage that working for someone else is not my thing.

Unfortunately, the avenue of work I have chosen (script writer) is almost impossible to break in to and I am spending all my time either thinking about the industry, writing scripts with no real goal in mind and searching for funding.

It's a nightmare. But, I would rather do this than sell another tablet to harried parents at christmas.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal said:

Sorry but I make it a point not to write about my employers online. Korea has some incredibly strict, almost draconian anti-slander legislation to the point where any kind of news or human interest program online or on TV is full of blurred out logos, faces and distorted voices just in case someone takes offense. They take their (mis)representation seriously around here.

xXCrazyCostaXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in wine and liquor distribution and sales. I have many accounts that all require long hours of my attention a day and I am about to pick up the #2 store in the entire state for wine sales right before the holiday madness. I work between 12 and 15 hours a day 5-6 days a week. I know this would sound miserable to some but I have never felt so accomplished as when I complete a goal or task before anyone else in the state. My boss is awesome and my co workers are friendly and helpful. I've only been in my position for 8 months but I'm one of the most successful consultants in the state (the youngest also). The job has great perks (wine&liquor) and pays great. I'm able to afford a great place to live with my girlfriend, a nice car, my gaming habits, and plenty of dinner dates/activities that we like to do together. I am very happy with my job.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great replies so far. I know they've benefited me at the very least. Though one thing I hope future replies do is maybe write how they ended up arriving/acquiring their great jobs, to the benefit of those wishing to attempt/try/experience their field of work.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

Great replies so far. I know they've benefited me at the very least. Though one thing I hope future replies do is maybe write how they ended up arriving/acquiring their great jobs, to the benefit of those wishing to attempt/try/experience their field of work.

Collusion?

Torrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The past two career jobs I've had were soul-crushing disappointment, and job I've got now has much less stress but also much lower pay. Hopefully I can climb the career ladder again, but at least what I've got now pays decent enough to enjoy life, explore interests, and not tear my hear out or sob into my pillow every night.

GnaTSoL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@gnatsol said:

Collusion?

I hope not

Phoenix778m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a milkman and I love it. I deliver to 21 stops a day. It's super physical and also became my weight loss program.

Party

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guess it doesn't really count, as I'm still in school and trying to get to my "real" job, but I currently work as an RA on my campus housing. The residential life program at our school is pretty involved; RAs aren't just around to make sure that students don't die on campus housing. Part of our job is building a community while still helping residents embark on their academic mission and giving them the resources they need to succeed. So naturally, I organized a floor improv night bringing in people from the local theater troupe and played improv games with my residents all night long! (Spoilers: it was freaking awesome)

Even being my first job, I can't say the RA gig is perfect, there's a lot of bureaucracy involved... But the highs are pretty freaking high as the GB guys would say. I highly recommend it for anyone trying to find a job while getting through college.

whitegreyblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

...write how they ended up arriving/acquiring their great jobs, to the benefit of those wishing to attempt/try/experience their field of work.

Loading Video...

I'm a Canadian and also don't prescribe to any god figure, but there's still some good advice from the Hulkster here.

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monkeyking1969 said:

I work in a library...I get to build computers with kids. (Just built a Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core, Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB Superclocked, on a 'admittedly low-rent Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150).

Moreover, I can play with our MakerBot 3D printer...and we have a 'stupid expensive' 3D scanner as well.

I like my job! (Okay, I cannot do the above everyday...still a cool job.)

No my own design, but this is something I printed off thingiverse.com/.

Very cool! I've always liked kids for the most part. I'd really like to do a class for elementary level kids some day, like, maybe a summer camp or something. It's tough, though, because I really only want to be with kids who are interested in learning, and not just kids who got dumped at camp by their parents. Maybe That's judgmental, though, I've never had the opportunity to teach kids so I don't know what it's like.

I've been a junior level game programmer for about 8 months now. I like it a lot, what else can I say? I wouldn't be doing it if I didn't enjoy it obviously :p

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spaceinsomniac said:
@sinusoidal said:

Sorry but I make it a point not to write about my employers online. Korea has some incredibly strict, almost draconian anti-slander legislation to the point where any kind of news or human interest program online or on TV is full of blurred out logos, faces and distorted voices just in case someone takes offense. They take their (mis)representation seriously around here.

I actually was wondering about that right after I posted. Forget I even mentioned it, then. I'm glad to hear that you find your job rewarding, though.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am a milkman and I love it. I deliver to 21 stops a day. It's super physical and also became my weight loss program.

Wow. I honestly had no idea they even had milkmen anymore. I just associated that with the 1950's and black and white television. That's cool. Do you live in a small, rural community or in a larger town/city?

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Giantstalker

This job sometimes sucks, but man, when it's good...

... it's good to the last drop™

DuncanKeller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will the Dharma station explode if you don't press the red button?

rahulricky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I just recently started working as a social media researcher; fell into the job by accident but am really enjoying it. Finally a job where my farting around on the internet has resulted in "valuable experience."

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Liking my current job as a developer for an international company. Ain't exactly doing work that will wow people but the work is interesting to me and the team around me is awesome.

OttoRostock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am writing here because I once loved my job. Now, I hate it and methinks all who have any shred of brain would hate it too.

I am an operations coordinator and international public relations suite for police.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Marcsman
No Caption Provided

I manage a animal shelter. Like all jobs there are good days & bad days. But working with animals is a lot better than people.

groverat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By groverat

I teach in inner-city Houston.

I have done it since I was 24 and I will never do anything else. Death himself is what will pull me away from these kids.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By rethla

Im an electrician and i love it. I was into programming and stuff but made a complete u turn at age 24 becouse i couldnt sit in a chair 80 hours every week and hammer on a stupid keyboard. I went crazy o0

As an electrician i have a highly technical work (even some basic programming now and then) and i get to use my whole body working 8hours a day and its fucking perfect. At evnings i can sit down and play games with a clear conscience.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm mostly happy with my job. I work with logistics towards retail stores in our own fairly large concern. Trying to find the right balance between sales and replenishments, cost and service levels, can be quite the headache. Especially since our field is extremely sensitive to seasons and campaigns. It can be stressful sometimes (like right now... christmas is coming) but it's mostly interesting and stimulating work.

If you like puzzle games and some economics, look into it.

TooSweet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to work in a bookstore while in school. Really fun job and I love books. Great friendships were made with the working staff and I still hang out with many of them to this day. Been a decade since that. While the occasional customer may be difficult I usually do the "When I'm done dealing with you its over. I don't need to dwell on or waste my thoughts on your petty shit cause its not worth it." So I was able to deal with the job better than most. I also came from a really shitty 6 year stint at a large company doing something I hated and disliking my bosses. So working at the bookstore was a cakewalk. These days I work as part of an IT department doing AV. Its a fun job and I get to play with lots of awesome tech. Video games and movies on large projected screens are a fun perk when we are done for the day or just a random weekend.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ElixirBronze

I work at a small company making nursing call systems (among other things) as a software engineer. I love it so far because it gives me the chance to really show and improve my capabilities in both front-end and embedded programming. Because we're only 4 people on the development department, the atmosphere around the office is generally very laid back (even though we're tied to a tight time schedule of course) which I appreciate.

D4RKSH33P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

Im an electrician and i love it. I was into programming and stuff but made a complete u turn at age 24 becouse i couldnt sit in a chair 80 hours every week and hammer on a stupid keyboard. I went crazy o0

As an electrician i have a highly technical work (even some basic programming now and then) and i get to use my whole body working 8hours a day and its fucking perfect. At evnings i can sit down and play games with a clear conscience.

Industrial or commercial?

I do electrical design and programming for manufacturing and I love it. Nothing more rewarding than seeing a physical good coming off of a machine you designed and programmed. The only downside is having to sometimes be away from my family for long periods of time, but working for a flexible smaller company makes up for it when I am home.

Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Drive a folklift in a warehouse. Predictable, ruled by routine, 8 to 4, never work a weekend, and a place to cool off in the summer. I've worked there since late 2007, and I love it.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marcsman said:
No Caption Provided

I manage a animal shelter. Like all jobs there are good days & bad days. But working with animals is a lot better than people.

I used to really like my job as an appraiser until I saw tank driver and puppy wrangler. Now I want to command a tank that's only me and my wisecracking puppy crew.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gnatsol said:

For me at least it was jump started by me wanting to get in the film industry and trying to get any internship I could. I got a couple off of craigslist and after I got that experience I worked with my next door neighbor on the TV show Boardwalk Empire. After having that on my resume doors opened for me in different arenas.

As an example, last year I went to Bonnaroo and ended eating at a lunch table with David Cross, Thomas Lennon, and the lead singer of the band Grizzly Bear and at the end of the night I ended up in Wu-Tang Clan's trailer after they just got off stage (They were "amped" to say the least). I've been truly blessed I believe even if I don't do this work all my life. It just goes to show you don't HAVE to have a crappy job....you CAN do something you love if you work at it.

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CByrne

if(TimeOfDay > 929 && TimeOfDay < 1730){

Life.status = "Coding and designing embedded systems";

}

I like it, I'm doings some cool things I guess, it just doesn't pay well at all. I've got tons of down time and so many free electronics. Also, like @monkeyking1969 I get to play with a 3d printer a couple times a week.

Although this week was counterfeit FTDI chip hack-a-thon. This hot 3d printer fix.

No Caption Provided

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm a lecturer at a university in one of Europe's major cities. Teaching load can get overwhelming at times, as well as the massive amounts of grading, but contributing to the shaping of minds is part of what makes it worth it.

MannyMAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MannyMAR

I work 2 jobs so I'll say there's one job I'm cool with and the other is my dream job. As a forklift operator I dig what I do. I get paid well and the environment is very chill. As for my other job as a freelance artist, I've worked on games, comic books, and in animation. Yeah, there are rough patches when work becomes slim pickings, but overall I love doing it.

mbradley1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@party: RA here for 2.5 years at the #3 party school (at the time) in America. I feel ya.

Now, math teacher. It has its days. But overall, I didn't choose it to have a perfect job. I chose it to have a challenge and to do something I felt is meaningful. Cue cheesy stereotype.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49  Edited By Nodima

I'm a bartender at a fairly low key bar though we have our super busy days, most nights it's just me by myself. My bosses are awesome, though, partially because they're usually gone 6-8 months out of the year (our owner/GM is a famous musician and his road manager) and also because they're just so relaxed. There aren't many rules to follow other than serve correct pours, charge correct prices and keep the place clean. We're free to drink on the job, bring dogs into the bar, think up specials on the fly and all kinds of stuff. It's also a really interesting staff (one of our bartenders is a drummer for another pretty famous national act) and the regulars are always super awesome while newcomers often walk away giving me compliments.

Before this job I was slumming it in kitchens making minimum wage, sweating my ass off and being unable to afford anything resembling an interesting lifestyle whereas now I can go out for nice dinners, drink nice liquor and wear nice clothes. I feel like a proper adult for the first time in my life and it's done wonders for my self-esteem and past anger issues, I am essentially a zen master right now and I love it.

For the previous seven years I was also a music critic for PopMatters.com, a fairly large website and one of the original internet pop culture magazines (it used to be bigger than, and when I started was on par with, Pitchfork if you can believe it). But their policy was always that you were paid in exposure, CDs, interviews with artists you love and press access to any local shows in your area whether you planned to cover them or not. And I did at first get a ton of CDs I loved, go to a ton of shows I loved and got to talk to some really amazing people like Big Boi, Method Man, Curren$y, Slug and Big K.R.I.T. But as the "how do I get into games writing" questions began pouring into various Giant Bomb Tumblr's and Bombcasts over the past year and the staff remained adamant that you not work for free - again, I'd been working for free for nearly a decade and written over a thousand high-traffic reviews - while the industry shifted more and more towards YouSendIt files and Soundcloud streams rather than shipped promo discs I lost my love for it. I haven't written a review since mid-April and I really miss constantly talking about music, but at some point I had to put getting paid ahead of that, and it's been nice to just listen to music without pretense these past six months.

Edit: As for how I got into those jobs, PopMatters usually posts an open call for writers of all kinds of media every 3-4 months as writers come and go, so I just sort of went for it when I started college and realized I was never going to finish but I really enjoyed doing reviews on RateYourMusic.com. And with the bartending gig (fuck it, I have no shame - it's Pageturner's in Omaha and Patrick really ought to bring his wife's family in over some holiday. They should also try Mula for some truly great midwestern Mexican food and tequila cocktails) I simply was a regular there until one night one of the bartenders asked if I wanted to work the door on weekends, which eventually led to being a bar back (though I was essentially just her personal assistant five nights a week) and then out of pure necessity when she left I assumed all her shifts. It was pure American Dream personified, promotion from the bottom up. I started as a drunk and now I stand on the other side of the wood.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla said:

Industrial or commercial?

I do electrical design and programming for manufacturing and I love it. Nothing more rewarding than seeing a physical good coming off of a machine you designed and programmed. The only downside is having to sometimes be away from my family for long periods of time, but working for a flexible smaller company makes up for it when I am home.

I dont know what it would be called in english but according to Wikipedia "construction electrician" pretty much sums it up.

Construction electricians primarily focus on larger projects, such as installing all new electrical system for an entire building, or upgrading an entire floor of an office building as part of a remodeling process.

Wikipedia