• 55 results
ArkHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By ArkHunter

(US Politics) So if the government shuts down, the Congress and the President still get payed, but not the military. WTF? Congress and the President should forfeit the rest of their salary to pay on the national debt if they let the government shut down! (and still pay the military)

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By BraveToaster

They should do away with Welfare and use that money to pay the military. A lot of people receive welfare checks every month and they don't deserve it.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Fuck. Also...

@Axxol said:

" A lot of people receive welfare checks every month and they don't deserve it. "

Got any hard stats on that? Or will you follow the advice of this article (go down to #4 for relevance)?
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nemt

Anyone who's in the military for the money could better serve America by quitting.

I'm not happy about not getting paid, but all the complaining I see is pretty embarrassing.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Virago

God I've missed so much, I have no idea what's going on in America. It's gotten to the point that upon hearing the word "Obama" on the television, I hyperventilate and make everyone shut up so I can soak in the 10 second sound bites, gripping on to what's left of my culture in this foreign and desolate land.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By FancySoapsMan

What they should do is stop bickering and agree on a fucking bidget

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Damn it I want to edit my post but it won't let me :(

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By nemt
@FancySoapsMan said:
"

Damn it I want to edit my post but it won't let me :(

"

Perhaps the whole board should shut down till you figure out what went wrong.
ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By ssj4raditz

Man, what a deal! I wish my place of work shut down and I could still get paid for doing nothing!

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Ravenousrattler

politics oh how i hate it.

Avatar image for everyones_a_critic
Everyones_A_Critic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

How about some New Politics?

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Example1013
@GrilledCheez01: I like how the author wrote 7.5 thousand instead of 7500, just to stretch out the article length. Do they get paid by the character or something?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure Congress isn't paid salary, so even if they only decided to meet once a year, they'd still get the same amount of money (Congress is, after all, only constitutionally obligated to hold session once a year). I'd rather they dock the pay of any Congressman who either makes over $250,000 independently, or whose spouse does. Or cut their pay entirely. They don't need the money.

And honestly, the President gets a pass by my count, and can get paid. He more than earns it, doing what's likely one of the hardest jobs in the world.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@example1013 said:
" Or cut their pay entirely."
How exactly would you get that passed? I can't imagine either side adopting that policy.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Example1013
@Video_Game_King said:
" @example1013 said:
" Or cut their pay entirely."
How exactly would you get that passed? I can't imagine either side adopting that policy. "
I'm not saying it's going to happen, I'm saying it should. They're already in the upper bracket of wealth. They don't need an extra government handout.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Video_Game_King
@example1013 said:
"government handout. "
Fuuuuuuck. How do you consider something a handout when they're working for it? This isn't an issue of "are they doing a good job", but "are they doing a job." You might want to change the terminology.
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Example1013
@Video_Game_King said:
" @example1013 said:
"government handout. "
Fuuuuuuck. How do you consider something a handout when they're working for it? This isn't an issue of "are they doing a good job", but "are they doing a job." You might want to change the terminology. "
I'm not talking about performance. They have a really good alternate source of income, and I don't even think they work full-time, yet they get paid like they do. Taking away that money provides no threat to their livelihood, because they're already in the upper income bracket. I never said anything about what kind of job they're doing. I said that they already have enough of an alternate source of income to support themselves and their family, and thus don't really need to be paid.

Some states still don't have full-time legislatures, and thus the members of those states' congresses have to still work real jobs and earn a living most of the year, yet Congressmen get paid as though it were a full-time job, when they don't officially work full-time hours. And let's not forget about the amount of time spent campaigning during election season (which seems almost like it's always in season, nowadays). They don't lose pay when they go campaigning, despite the fact that they're not actually doing their job (passing laws) at that time.

There are congressmen who, when combined with their spouses, have net worths of multiple millions of dollars, but they still get paid (and pay raises) from the government. They really don't need the money.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Video_Game_King
@example1013:

I was just telling you to use more measured language and get rid of the politically charged term. I'm not really attacking your points, because I'm not equipped enough to do that (I'm a King, so I don't know a lot about democracy).
salad10203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By salad10203

Bla bla bla, I'm Right, bla bla bla, your wrong.  Caste your vote then shut up everybody.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jams
@example1013 said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @example1013 said:
"government handout. "
Fuuuuuuck. How do you consider something a handout when they're working for it? This isn't an issue of "are they doing a good job", but "are they doing a job." You might want to change the terminology. "
I'm not talking about performance. They have a really good alternate source of income, and I don't even think they work full-time, yet they get paid like they do. Taking away that money provides no threat to their livelihood, because they're already in the upper income bracket. I never said anything about what kind of job they're doing. I said that they already have enough of an alternate source of income to support themselves and their family, and thus don't really need to be paid.
Some states still don't have full-time legislatures, and thus the members of those states' congresses have to still work real jobs and earn a living most of the year, yet Congressmen get paid as though it were a full-time job, when they don't officially work full-time hours. And let's not forget about the amount of time spent campaigning during election season (which seems almost like it's always in season, nowadays). They don't lose pay when they go campaigning, despite the fact that they're not actually doing their job (passing laws) at that time.

There are congressmen who, when combined with their spouses, have net worths of multiple millions of dollars, but they still get paid (and pay raises) from the government. They really don't need the money.
"
I agree with you about congress not getting paid. It should be an honor for them to serve the people. When money comes into play, people start wanting more more more. That's why there should be none. Unless of course it's the persons full time job like The President. Otherwise you know the congress are made up of judges and lawyers, etc, etc. There aren't going to be congressmen who are working 2 part time jobs just to get by.
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By YoThatLimp
@jams said:
" @example1013 said:

" @Video_Game_King said:

" @example1013 said:
"government handout. "

"
I agree with you about congress not getting paid. It should be an honor for them to serve the people. When money comes into play, people start wanting more more more. That's why there should be none. Unless of course it's the persons full time job like The President. Otherwise you know the congress are made up of judges and lawyers, etc, etc. There aren't going to be congressmen who are working 2 part time jobs just to get by. "
I agree, it is a public service, there shouldn't be a paycheck involved. We have professional politicians, not people who are looking on making a difference.
beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By beej
@Metalideth so we're legislating that the american dream is dead now. Functionally no poor people can be congress members but you want to make that the law now too?
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By FancySoapsMan
YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By YoThatLimp
@beej said:
" @Metalideth so we're legislating that the american dream is dead now. Functionally no poor people can be congress members but you want to make that the law now too? "
I don't know any poor people who want to be congresspeople. 
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By beej
@Metalideth I feel as though your personal anecdote missed the point.
Mighty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By Mighty
@Ravenousrattler said:
" politics oh how i hate it. "
RJMacReady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By RJMacReady

Starve the beast to death.

Seriously these people set their own salaries and you think they should take a symbolic pay-cut. I wish i could set my own salary and simultaneously have a revenue source that couldn't evade paying without incurring high costs for disloyalty. Optimal institutional arrangement?

Exit > Voice.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By Pibo47

Yeah, a compromise needs to be reached. This is getting insane.

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Axxol:  You are joking right?
FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FancySoapsMan
@Pibo47 said:
" Yeah, a compromise needs to be reached. This is getting insane. "
A compromise has already been reached
grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By grilledcheez
DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By DystopiaX

Or we could get rid of farmer/industry subsidies, which just raise the price of shit anyway, and get raw goods and food cheap from the people in a position to provide them, like many Africans not allowed to do so by our reatrded tariffs. Save billions, and we save on food...if it werent for those damn lobbies.

nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By nemt

It's funny how the vast majority of people in the US and Europe STILL defend democracy as the only acceptable form of government.
FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By FiestaUnicorn
@nemt said:
"It's funny how the vast majority of people in the US and Europe STILL defend democracy as the only acceptable form of government. "

It's because conservatives in the U.S. at least keep cutting education budgets and scaring the shit out of the people who vote for them.
scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By scarace360

If you joined the army for money your an idiot.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Skytylz
@nemt said:
" It's funny how the vast majority of people in the US and Europe STILL defend democracy as the only acceptable form of government. "
You're right!  dictatorships and totalitarian regimes are so much better!
StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#38  Edited By StarvingGamer
@Video_Game_King said:
" (I'm a King, so I don't know a lot about democracy). "
Hehhehheh... heh
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nemt

Friendly reminder: the typical ancient Roman had vastly more social and economic freedom than a modern American or European does.
Avatar image for boneykingofnowhere
boneykingofnowhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That would be wonderful, but that would involve getting a bunch of over-privileged politicians to give up money they don't need for people who do need it. Clearly thats too much to ask.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#41  Edited By JasonR86

Well, the government didn't shut down.

...politics.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@Skytylz said:
" @nemt said:
" It's funny how the vast majority of people in the US and Europe STILL defend democracy as the only acceptable form of government. "
You're right!  dictatorships and totalitarian regimes are so much better! "
China says hi and asks when you gonna pay yo bill bitchez?
nemt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By nemt
@boneykingofnowhere said:
"

That would be wonderful, but that would involve getting a bunch of over-privileged politicians to give up money they don't need for people who do need it. Clearly thats too much to ask.

"

Complain about corruption and politicians non stop.

Continue voting and supporting the government and its leaders.

Americans™

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By FancySoapsMan
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @SeriouslyNow said:
" @Skytylz said:
" @nemt said:
You're right!  dictatorships and totalitarian regimes are so much better! "
China says hi and asks when you gonna pay yo bill bitchez? "
The Chinese government kind of sucks though and arrests people people for opposing them. "
USA PATRIOT act wasn't much better.
Avatar image for boneykingofnowhere
boneykingofnowhere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nemt said:

Complain about corruption and politicians non stop.

Continue voting and supporting the government and its leaders.

Americans™

"
Being a condescending ass and bringing nothing to the discussion at hand.

Making broad assumptions about every American they talk to.

Europeans  ™
wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By wickedsc3

I really don't care anymore because they are all crooks.  Every night when I get home from work I turn on the TV and just seem more and more bull.  I don't even watch it anymore because it is depressing.  All the government is, is a bunch of you scratch my back ill scratch yours, and its wrong.  Everyone in America is so greedy and greed causes crime.

one_2nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#48  Edited By one_2nd
@Virago said:
" God I've missed so much, I have no idea what's going on in America. It's gotten to the point that upon hearing the word "Obama" on the television, I hyperventilate and make everyone shut up so I can soak in the 10 second sound bites, gripping on to what's left of my culture in this foreign and desolate land. "
lawl
calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#49  Edited By calidan777
@Video_Game_King said:
" Fuck. Also...

@Axxol said:

" A lot of people receive welfare checks every month and they don't deserve it. "

Got any hard stats on that? Or will you follow the advice of this article (go down to #4 for relevance)? "
I actually personally know of people who make over 60 grand a year and receive food stamps. My two sisters and I were raised by a single mom and a great deal of my child hood was spent on food stamps while my mom worked part time jobs to take care of us (the government didn't help single moms out with daycare then). There are many cases where food stamps and welfare are very good things and go to people who really need it, but to act like the system doesn't get abused would be naive. I've seen many cases where a married woman would go and tell the state that her and her husband were separated (when they weren't) and receive food stamps. The state is supposed to send agents out to check on that kind of thing or or ask for proof of who is paying the bills, but a lot of the time they don't. So, while I don't think we should get rid of food stamps and welfare, I do think we need to be better at making sure only the right people are getting it.
Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Evilsbane
@Video_Game_King said:
"  (I'm a King, so I don't know a lot about democracy). "
*Snicker*