Power Line Communication. Any good?

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Long story short is I can't get good wifi where I keep my game consoles and running a cable through the home is not an option.

Has anyone used PLC before? Is it good for gaming? I will be putting the $50 this Friday to try it, but I wanted to hear what everyone thought about this option first.

Thanks for the input.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Hamst3r

They're fantastic. I have 8 of those Power Line bricks and use them for everything.

EDIT: I should probably specify that I use the Netgear AV 500 ones, the nano and the original sized bricks.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Shakezula84

I was looking at the netgear one. I cant remember which one they were. Normally $80 but I am finding places that have them at $50

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By conmulligan

@hamst3r: I picked up a pair of AV 500's recently and they've been great so far.

wrighteous86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

How do these work exactly? You need a router, and then you just plug these into an outlet to get a closer stronger signal in another room?

theimmortalbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@hamst3r said:

They're fantastic. I have 8 of those Power Line bricks and use them for everything.

EDIT: I should probably specify that I use the Netgear AV 500 ones, the nano and the original sized bricks.

Hm. I've been getting bad lag in FFXIV on my PS4 lately.. don't know if it's my WiFi or not, but this is an interesting solution.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

How do these work exactly? You need a router, and then you just plug these into an outlet to get a closer stronger signal in another room?

The Power Line bricks transmit data over your electrical wires. So plug one into the wall near your router and connect it to the router with an ethernet cable. Then you put another power line brick in another room and connect that to your device. At which point the internet data will travel between the two rooms via the electrical wiring.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

wow this sounds like an awesome solution for me! never heard of this before.

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By robsamuel

I'm using them now, and they're pretty good.

They have their own bandwidth though, so take that into account when choosing which one you get.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#10  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By zidd

I got this kit and It has been performing well. Your performance depends highly on your electrical wiring situation. Keep in mind you can't plug them into surge protectors or power strips or you will severely impact performance.

zidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

@wrighteous86: They work by using electrical wiring instead of ethernet to provide network connectivity. The tech is really cool and its a decent way to get connectivity to devices in bad wifi areas or where wifi will not provide good or consistent enough performance.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been using the ZyXEL PLA4225KIT for the past 10 months without issues. Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, TiVo, gaming, and streaming video all work just fine.