crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By crusader8463

No Caption Provided
With all the sales going on amazon right now I'm very tempted to try buying a few things, but I'm worried about getting bent over and taken to town with border fees. I ordered a few games from gamestop.com before they had a Canadian site available and remember getting charged border fess when the item came here in the mail, and I remember buying a few things from amazon.com years ago but I can't remember if I had to pay fees when it showed up or not.

I tried Googleing around some on the topic, but all I could find was forums with one guy saying he didn't get charged and others saying they did. When I check the site's FAQ about the topic they make it sound like they include the fee in the final order so you know upfront what you are getting taken for, but that there may be extra fees on top of that.

So I was just wondering if anyone on here, non-US only, who have order from amazon.com before could share their experiences with it and whether or not they had any problems.
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crusader8463

Really? No one has ever used it?

paudle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By paudle

I am pretty sure you have to pay some fees whenever you order something outside of the country.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By crusader8463
Dark_Schala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Dark_Schala

I don't know if I can help, but I'll try.  I know in my experience with Play-Asia, if an item (or items) adds up to over $100, I've had to pay the customs fee when they brought it to my house / when I picked it up at the post office. 

I guess it depends, really. I know I've had to pay an Import Deposit Fee at checkout on Amazon.com before (I just did the other day when I ordered 999 and Theresia). Fake edit: Here's their info about the Import Deposit Fee:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=596184#import. I've ordered from Amazon.com a few times before, and I haven't really had a customs problem (ie: where I've had to pay more or if the package takes too long to come over the border). But then again, I haven't ordered anything for more than $100 from Amazon.

In a nutshell, it says: 
- duty and tax info is estimated and collected at checkout     
- if the actual import fees are lower than what you were charged at checkout, you will be refunded the cash 
- if the actual import fees are higher than what you were charged at checkout, "you will not be charged any additional fees" by Amazon (it is up to the discretion of the seller if you buy it from a Merchant that is not Amazon). 

However, that last bit is a little vague. I would assume that Canada Post would expect you to pay it out of your pocket if the estimate's off. I'm sorry I can't help more. Good luck, though.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By shirogane

I think the custom fee stuff is specific to your own countries custom laws. Meaning you'd have to check the Canadian custom stuff. 
I didn't have to pay any fee that i could see when i bought my RB3 Keyboard from them. But that thing costs way less than what the amount is that Australian customs charge fees.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By LiquidPrince

Import fee is different then customs. I ordered something from Amazon UK, and they added a import fee in the total. On top of that you may or may not have to pay customs when it arrives at your house. Although the import fee amounted to like $3.

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mrfizzy
@crusader8463: im not 100% sure about import fees but i know that depending on your country you may have import taxes. dnt know if there the same thing tho. if they are then it would depend on your county's system. Here in Aus you dont get taxed for anything under $1000. 
inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By inkerman

I've never been charged, and I live in Australia, but I've never ordered anything substantial from there.

Dark_Schala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Dark_Schala

Ah, so then Import Deposit doesn't mean anything, eh?  I haven't had to pay for anything coming from amazon.com, NCSX or gamestop.com, but I've had to pay for a few things from Play-Asia. I suppose it's entirely dependent on the item's (items') overall worth. It is entirely up to the CBSA, then.

http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGcustoms-e.asp#1382719      
" The CBSA does not assess duty or tax on mail items valued at $20CDN or less... The CBSA does not consider items to be of low value in cases where a single transaction is split into smaller shipments to keep the value below $20CDN.    
"Mail items containing merchandise enter Canada through CBSA screening centres, are inspected by CBSA Officers and assessed for applicable customs duties, taxes and charges. If duties and/or taxes are owed, items will be delivered along with the E14 Customs Invoice indicating the amount that the addressee must pay before the package can be released to them."