Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By PimblyCharles
<Roscoe> By Pimbly 2014
<Roscoe> By Pimbly 2014

Hi. Hello. I am back again with something special. It's bright! It's beautiful! It's... <Roscoe>. It's finished, and made it well before any Rock Band 4 announcement.

This all started from wanting to work on pen and paper again, but moving it to the digital world. Had to get my old groove back with Illustrator and Photoshop. Doing almost all abstract work, I thought making Giant Bomb a theme and subject matter mixed with my own unique style and memories could be fun and something different. This was always meant to be a very large and intricate piece. Do yourself a favor and zoom in.

Many months back I shared the pen and paper drawing, that started all this, in a blog: Unfinished: <Roscoe> Original drawing by Pimbly. There are an amazing amount of references and hidden stuff in this. Read it for a list of what's intentional. Everything else is up to the viewer to decide what they see and think.

Of course it all started with Roscoe, that crazy alligator.

The pen on paper was scanned at 4000dpi and then converted into a vector graphic in Illustrator. Here's the before and after:

Pen on paper scan.
Pen on paper scan.
Conversion to Illustrator vector graphic.
Conversion to Illustrator vector graphic.

I first thought that mixing a whole bunch of photos, including many of my own, into the vector art could be interesting. Couldn't have been more wrong. Point and example:

While hilarious, and embarrassing, this was not the way I wanted to go with this art. Stopped at this point to pursue a different idea.
While hilarious, and embarrassing, this was not the way I wanted to go with this art. Stopped at this point to pursue a different idea.

It took months of sitting on this "cool" art to finally reach the moment that the finished product derived from. I decided to mix my own original oil on canvas paintings with the drawing. There's a lot of physics and patternism involved with my abstract art, so overlaying/blending them should bring some sort of connection. It's science and math!

Here's the two oil on canvas paintings that were used in Photoshop to blend within certain selections with the drawing:

Original Oil on Canvas by Pimbly 2002
Original Oil on Canvas by Pimbly 2002
Original Oil on Canvas by Pimbly 2013
Original Oil on Canvas by Pimbly 2013

Here's some other versions of <Roscoe> without the Giant Bomb bomb:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I can't tell if people will think this art is terrible, okay or brilliant. So glad to finally share these even if people think they're terrible. I think they are stunning.

So what do you think? What do you see and feel? Any criticism is welcome. You're all awesome anyway.

Giant Bomb rocks.

-PIMBLY

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Brendan

Huh, all I see is Persona 4. Does this mean is want to marry my mother and have sex with my father for some reason?

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flasaltine

The first black and white version is the best.

bboymaestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Dope action!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH GOD MY EYES!

But seriously, that's pretty awesome man. It's all filled with words and stuff.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'd buy a poster, blind people.

PoorTommy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I don't know--it's a little too high art for my taste. Nah, this is cool. I'm definitely feeling the Liquid Television in this one.

LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@brendan:

I... think you might be confused about Freudian psychology. Or Oedipus. Or both.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

You're still really good at this, I think. At least it's my understanding this is good art (as this is the kind of art that I look at and go "Yep. That's art." Hey I studied art in college, I didn't major in it =P ).

Not being facetious, it's good at what it is. I'm worried that is going to be taken as a back handed compliment and may be offensive. I don't know how to say it better, that's how I feel haha

keris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Truly, a magnificent King of the Everglades!

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

You know, I definitely like it better with the color. I remember seeing your original and to be honest I wasn't a fan. Now with the color I actually like it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@PimblyCharles Yellow is my favorite color; Giant Bomb is my favorite site; and love crazy patterns. Throw in the fact that there are references hidden in your picture, and you can rest assured that I like it quite a bit. Also, it reminds me of a pot my parents bought me at an arts fair when I was younger.

How did math pay a role in this, exactly? I've heard of plenty of artists incorporating math into their work outside of applying it to fractal or vector art, but I've never really heard how.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn this is cool

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PimblyCharles

Thanks everyone for the feedback. It's great to see an overall positive response.

@viciousanchovy said:

@PimblyCharles Yellow is my favorite color; Giant Bomb is my favorite site; and love crazy patterns. Throw in the fact that there are references hidden in your picture, and you can rest assured that I like it quite a bit. Also, it reminds me of a pot my parents bought me at an arts fair when I was younger.

How did math pay a role in this, exactly? I've heard of plenty of artists incorporating math into their work outside of applying it to fractal or vector art, but I've never really heard how.

Fibonacci sequence and general relativity play a large role. The micro and macro have a common structure and relationship. Time is not constant. That type of stuff.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now I'm picturing Jeff with mad sideburns.

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PimblyCharles

@dudeglove said:

Why'd you go the other way on the bomb logo?

That is an observant question. I tried both Giant Bomb bomb logo designs after tracing them in Illustrator, and felt the pupil placement here was better suited for it's surroundings. The crazy eyed Giant Bomb bomb would be apart of these shenanigans.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

My god..

PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: Ah, I get what you mean now. An even more abstract take on the logo would be cool.

Even though the bomb is just slapped on, I find the contrast of the clean logo and the abstract to fit quite well. Was actually shocked how well it works. Thanks for the input duder.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Very cool. I like the colorful, abstract "background" the most. The very clean bomb to contrast with it works very well indeed and I like how effortlessly that conveys the GB motif.

But the version I'll probably be looking at repeatedly is the last picture in the OP. Man, that's one hell of an artwork. I actively enjoy just looking at it and letting my associations run wild. Very well done!