Sega Dreamcast still amazes me!

thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By thaos627

The web browser on it is way faster than the ps3 and its only dial up. yes u have to use a disc but its not like you can web browse and play a game. with all the emulators and homebrew games i always have something new and thanks to that i dont play my xbox360 hardly at all. if you r broke but need games get a dreamcast i got mine for $25 and the games r so cheap they might as well be free. the VMU should still be used by other companies its great.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By thaos627

The web browser on it is way faster than the ps3 and its only dial up. yes u have to use a disc but its not like you can web browse and play a game. with all the emulators and homebrew games i always have something new and thanks to that i dont play my xbox360 hardly at all. if you r broke but need games get a dreamcast i got mine for $25 and the games r so cheap they might as well be free. the VMU should still be used by other companies its great.
Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skald

Ah, yes, the Dreamcast. Some good memories, some bad memories. The controller, for example, is not a good one.

They just don't make 'em like this anymore. 
Avatar image for charlesalanratliff
CharlesAlanRatliff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

I still wish we had a portable, playable memory card. :(

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Ace829
@Vito_Raliffe said:
" I still wish we had a portable, playable memory card. :( "
I second this.
ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By ReyGitano

I brought a Dreamcast during summer off eBay. It arrived broken. I tried to tweak the drive speed but never got it to work.  
I got most of my money back and brought a new one from Play N' Trade. 
This one didn't work either, but when I messed with the drive speed, it worked! 
I never owned one as a kid, but my friend did. The memories came flooding back. 
I also realized the only parts of Sonic Adventure 2 I actually like where the ones where I played as Sonic or Shadow. I never want to play through that again.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By MysteriousBob

I wonder if it had lived longer- would it be as fondly remembered? It did seem to have a lot of quality and unique titles in such a short time, I wonder how it would have continued? 

I only played on one for the first time three years ago. Soul Calibur seemed to be really well anti-alialised, I've never seen such a 'clean' looking game.

thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By thaos627
@extremeradical said:
"Ah, yes, the Dreamcast. Some good memories, some bad memories. The controller, for example, is not a good one.
"
i disagree i like the dreamcast controller i would really enjoy a second stick but when it first came out it didnt make any difference. the only reasons to have a second stick is for the camera (but back then the left and right buttons were used on every game) and aim on shooters (using a controller instead of a keyboard on a shooter was odd back then)
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
@thaos627 said:
" @extremeradical said:
"Ah, yes, the Dreamcast. Some good memories, some bad memories. The controller, for example, is not a good one.
"
i disagree i like the dreamcast controller i would really enjoy a second stick but when it first came out it didnt make any difference. the only reasons to have a second stick is for the camera (but back then the left and right buttons were used on every game) and aim on shooters (using a controller instead of a keyboard on a shooter was odd back then) "
No, he's right. The controller was hideous. And a right stick isn't a trivial thing. There's a reason all modern games use the right stick to control the camera. Remember having to control the camera rotation with the shoulder buttons? Bleh. The (first) Sonic Adventure QL really reminded me how vital it is.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By thaos627
@MysteriousBob:
i dont see what was so bad about the controller. the nintendo ds and psp use the same setup but no one says the controls r bad. the only game i have controller issues with is spec ops keyboard style realistic fps is really wrong in every sense of the word
ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ProfessorEss

@MysteriousBob said:

It did seem to have a lot of quality and unique titles in such a short time

Did it? Or did it have just enough decent titles over it's lifespan to make it look like a good offering in hindsight?

I worked at Toys R Us when it was released and remember many times where I just stood there staring at it's sad game library. There was a reason nobody bought it (the same reason we could barely dump them on people for 59.99) and in my opinion, it wasn't because it was too awesome - it was because the Dreamcast sucked.

I know it's not a very popular opinion these days, but every time it's brought up, and everyone starts talking about how much they loved it, I can't help but remember how much everyone hated it when it was actually relevant.
Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Nitrocore

I got one about 3 months after they came out in the uk,, Christmas time I think. At first the controller gave me blisters on my fingers which was nice, but that stopped hapening after awhile, that might of been down to Ready to rumble but I can't be sure. 
O and I rate Shenmue is in my top 5 games of all time and I am currently the proud owner of 3 Dreamcasts, why you ask? iv'e no idea. 

I think I paid £200 for one when they first came out, and about a year ago I got one with 2 games, 2 pads, 2 vmu's a light gun and a steering wheel for £30, sure did feel sorry for the guy who sold it, had about 3 inches of tape around the box, I don't think he wanted to let it go, thats the impression I got anyway.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob
@thaos627 said:
" @MysteriousBob: the psp use the same setup but no one says the controls r bad."
Uhh...
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By mylifeforAiur

Never played the console, unfortunately. I might get around to buying one some day^^ 

thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thaos627
@ProfessorEss:
i never got one when they came out because i never knew about it. i never saw a commercial or add and i was looking for sega stuff. the dreamcast is still the second highest selling console of all time behind the ps2. i wish i knew about the dreamcast when sega was giving free ones away with a years subcription to seganet.
DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By DukeTogo
@MysteriousBob said:
" I wonder if it had lived longer- would it be as fondly remembered? It did seem to have a lot of quality and unique titles in such a short time, I wonder how it would have continued?  I only played on one for the first time three years ago. Soul Calibur seemed to be really well anti-alialised, I've never seen such a 'clean' looking game. "
I lived about as long as it could, since it came out at just the right time when nothing was out to compete with it on the same technical level aside from a PC - which is essentially what the Dreamcast was anyway.  Once the PS2 and Xbox hit it was all over since the Dreamcast was already obsolete compared to them in graphics power and the console's now infamous notoriety as a hacker's paradise made it so pirate-friendly, that selling games was almost a joke when anyone could burn games on a regular CD and they would play on it since it ran anything.

In a way it still lives on since people still use it to do all manner of weird shit.  I still use it to play old games with some emulator discs that were released for it, and the Dreamcast plays PS1 games fine via a great emulator too.  It also has a few great games that never got ported to later consoles like Shenmue.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zeforgotten
@thaos627 said:
" @MysteriousBob: i dont see what was so bad about the controller. the nintendo ds and psp use the same setup but no one says the controls r bad. "
If nobody is complaining about the lack of a second stick on a PSP then why they heck are people making those dumb petitions for dual analogs on the next PSP and stuff like that?  
yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By yakov456
@extremeradical said:
" Ah, yes, the Dreamcast. Some good memories, some bad memories. The controller, for example, is not a good one.
"
Hehe, this is exactly what I was thinking. Such a good console, such a shitty controller.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thaos627
@DukeTogo said:
Once the PS2 and Xbox hit it was all over since the Dreamcast was already obsolete compared to them in graphics power and the console's now infamous notoriety as a hacker's paradise made it so pirate-friendly

actually it was the ps2 and gamecube. sega was partnered with microsoft for the dreamcast so when they dropped it microsoft made their version of it which became the Xbox.
mylifeforAiur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mylifeforAiur
@ZeForgotten:  In all fairness, people will petition just about anything. I, myself, am petitioning petitions. In all seriousness though, the PSP does control really badly^_^
Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Driadon
@thaos627 said:

" @ProfessorEss: i never got one when they came out because i never knew about it. i never saw a commercial or add and i was looking for sega stuff. the dreamcast is still the second highest selling console of all time behind the ps2. i wish i knew about the dreamcast when sega was giving free ones away with a years subcription to seganet. "

uhh...? 

Dreamcast Software (as of March 31, 2001)
America - 27.48 million
Asia - 16.62 million (Japan - 14.8 million)
Europe - 8.82 million
Total - 52.92 million    Source 

Compare to just about everything else mentioned in this Wikipedia article

Bad trolling is bad...?
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zeforgotten
@mylifeforAiur: The PSP does control really badly. 
The only game I actually felt that kinda controlled the best was  We<3 Katamari game, sadly enough. 
Now I wanna play it again! Be back in a few weeks! I'm gonna miss my birthday and Christmas but at least I'm having fun!
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By GoofyGoober

Makes me want to ask my mother friend for hers. She got it for christmas of last year and doesn't play it anymore. I always wanted a dreamcast.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By FreakAche

Since most people seem to only be reminiscing on the exclusives, I feel the need to remind you that the Dreamcast had the best versions of several multiplatform games, namely the early Tony Hawk titles.

thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thaos627
@FreakAche said:
"Since most people seem to only be reminiscing on the exclusives, I feel the need to remind you that the Dreamcast had the best versions of several multiplatform games, namely the early Tony Hawk titles. "

holy crap i forgot about those i played the first on my N64 i need to get them i like them so much more than jet grind radio.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thaos627
@GoofyGoober:
the dreamcast is a great thing to give for christmas. my nieces and nephews have been trying to steal mine lol. im spending $150 and they all get a dreamcast and 20 games each. that way i can get my sonic adventure back arggg
GoofyGoober

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By GoofyGoober
@thaos627: That is fucking sweet man. Warms the heart I must say.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By thaos627

lol my niece wont give my dreamcast back lol she's been on it for 5 hours now playing pacman and the centipede game thats an adventure rather than arcade. crap i cant play PSO oh well i need to post a vid of her playing i never heard a 7 yearo ld swear so much at pacman lol

Avatar image for captain_clayman
captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By captain_clayman

i found a perfectly working dreamcast in a goodwill bin.  2 dollars.  then i had to buy the cables for like 10 dollars haha

if you havent heard of goodwill, think thrift store, but its basically a maze of garbage cans full of unwanted shit in a stuffy, smelly warehouse.

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By keyhunter
@yakov456 said:
" @extremeradical said:
" Ah, yes, the Dreamcast. Some good memories, some bad memories. The controller, for example, is not a good one.
"
Hehe, this is exactly what I was thinking. Such a good console, such a shitty controller. "
Fortunately, the games that would benefit from a second stick totally had mouse and keyboard support. So technically soldier of fortune had better controls on the DC than it did the PS2.
thaos627

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thaos627
@captain_clayman said:
"i found a perfectly working dreamcast in a goodwill bin.  2 dollars.  then i had to buy the cables for like 10 dollars haha if you havent heard of goodwill, think thrift store, but its basically a maze of garbage cans full of unwanted shit in a stuffy, smelly warehouse. "

lol ya ive found great stuff at goodwill. i bought a prototype zipdrive for the dreamcast for $10 i didnt even know there was more than one it was awesome