Shaving: Electric or Traditional

• 87 results
SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Poll Shaving: Electric or Traditional (439 votes)

Electric 33%
Traditional lather and razer 57%
Other 10%

I'm a traditional guy who lathers and uses a razor blade, but am thinking of switching to electric.

What are some benefits of the electric shaver? and what are some good ones from you electric shaver using guys.

• 
ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

C) both.

When I have time, A. When there is no time (most days) B.

When I have time, B. when there is no time, A.

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use an electric shaver, I've never tried a regular one so I can't compare the two, but the electrical shaver I have now is pretty nice and does a good job.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@benny: I wish I could use a straight razor and leather but my facial hair is very coarse and a straight razor will wrack havoc on my face.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you want a clean shave then you need traditional equipment. If your face is sensitive as mine, shave with the electric, followed by grooming the face, then use the razor to finish off the remaining hairs that the groomer couldn't eliminate

My advice to you: electric shaver = stubble = sexy time

vancilwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great thread.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By monetarydread

It's a necro party. Lets just hope the cops don't show up and ruin the fun. =)

I use a dual edge safety razor because 100 blades cost me $15 and it works just as well as that Gillette garbage.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

A blend of tiny scissors and electric for trimming, razors for parts of the neck and body where hair looks bad.

peteycoco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electric for beard trimming. I avoid disposables because they are wasteful.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shaving my legs can sometimes be a hassle. So I use both from time to time, it just depends on what's handy! :D

Rigas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sport a full beard, so I don't shave everyday. If I did an fancy electric one is probably the most efficient and cost effective way to go long term. But since I rarely do a full shave, and only require maintenance I keep some traditional razors and trim with a scissors.

nicksmi56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Always traditional. I don't trust myself to handle an electric razor XD

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electric when keeping a tidy and neat beard but a double-edged, safety razor with a brush and lather when I go clean shaven.

For those with sensitive skin, a pass done on a safety razor is only one blade to the face as opposed to the irritation from a multiple blade razor. Multi blade razors tend to tug and pull hair which can lead to irritation, razor burn, ingrown hairs. A safety blade razor, while taking a bit longer, has a sharper blade which cuts hair more neatly. To keep from getting ingrown hairs I only go with the grain and after a 3 pass shave have near baby butt smoothness.

Additionally, using a brush to apply the lather is great because the brush exfoliates your face. A badger brush is best because of it's smoothness but a cheap boar brush, while not as comfortable, is just as effective.

Finally, the kind of lather you use does help and the generic ones tend to use a lot of chemicals that irritate skin and as a substitute for quality ingredients like glycerin and fat. It sounds like snake oil salesman shit but once you use a quality shaving puck or cream, you can feel the difference immediately.

I use a merkur hd safety razor (good for both beginner and advanced shaver), Astra Superior Premium Platinum blades (these come from and are made for Russian beards which means they are sharp and perfect for coarse beards). There's a lot of great soaps out there so it's pretty easy to find one to like. If going with a cream, nothing out there beats Taylor of Bond Street. I'm currently using one and it's pretty boss. The most popular line is sandalwood which gives you a classic, wood scent.

I recommend people, especially those with sensitive skin, to look into safety razors. It takes a bit longer to shave and initially you will give yourself nicks but it will make you a believer. After a few weeks I stopped nicking myself (aside from the rare occurrence) and got down to about 20 min total shave time for a 3 pass shave. After about a year I got it down to 15 min from prep to clean up.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you say traditional, what do you mean? Because to me it means either a straight razor or a safety razor. All that multi-blade system can go fuck off. It's a fucking money scam to sell you shitty razors for really expensive price.

Also, if you haven't done so, go get an actual straight razor shave from a good barber. It's the best shave you'll ever get.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reuse disposable razors forever because I am poor. Would like to get an electric one someday, quicker and less effort.

@nicksmi56: I don't think you can really cut yourself with an electric one, a traditional one is much more dangerous.

sicjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quicker but your shaving almost every day when you use an electric.

Disposals from Harry's or Dollarshaveclub or whatever, super cheap and a shave lasts a few days.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As my beard grows super fast I prefer to not shave at all and just trim it with scissors and my electric shaver.

But I like saying "shave butter"

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disposable for neck beard, trimmer for rest.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally use electric since traditional irritates my face, but I'll go traditional when I have important things going on since it gives the closer shave.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

Being in the military I have to shave with an actual blade because electric shavers just don't come anywhere near close enough.
Like, I've tried it a few times and just about gotten away with it but I know for a fact that if I did it every day, I would get shouted at and told to shave properly within a week.

If I had any choice in the matter, I'd be on the side of don't (but electric clippers are good for maintenance)

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have a rough time trying to shave my beard, cause I keep it a little long and the highest level on my electric razor cuts it way too short. I have to kind of free hand it and incorporate scissors, in the same way you would for your hair.

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wear a beard to hide my underbite, so I just trim around the edges with an electric razor.

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

Razer for shaving, with an electric trimmer for trimming the beard.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Ezekiel

Electric razors don't work from my experience. I use a normal safety razor, often dull, with only water, no shaving cream, cutting against the grain more than with.

"Traditional" would be a straight razor.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One of them Gillette Fusion razors with five blades. $20 for a four pack kinda sucks, but I go though the cartridges fairly slowly.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#75  Edited By Tom_omb

I only shave once a month or so. I just use an electric beard trimmer to tame it when it gets too bad. A close shave is not something I require.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

you can't really just use an electric if you want to be clean shaven. Also, I find people that manicure the shit out of their beards to be extremely off-putting, way moreso than people who are just letting their natural warm fuzzy face live its dream

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use both?

@gtb08 I tend to use beard wax and oil just to get the itch / puffiness out of it, is that consider manicuring? I started doing this a few months back, It looks and feels better now :D.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have been using disposable Bic razors and hot water since I was a kid and haven't had an issue. Then again I can't even grow a beard if I tried. I would never used an electric razor for fear of it shredding my face.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with a normal razor but ended up getting an electric one and just stuck with it. I don't grow much facial hair anyway, so its always been fine.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A nice straight razor or safety razor is the only way to go. Better shave, better for the environment, and better on the eyes.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By FrodoBaggins

I don't shave.

Ok I use a normal razor blade to shave my neckline.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electric, it's quicker.
I have some really awkward hairs on my neck which are stubborn as hell, but i get them eventually, and it's still quicker.

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: a lot cheaper as well. I spend about $10 for a year and a half’s worth of blades for my safety razor.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Electric trimmer for the beard then lather and razor for the neck.

Back when I was clean shaven, I always used a razor. Electric never did the job well enough.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Razor. My dad used an electric one for as long as I can remember and he always seemed to carry a permanent shadow.

sub_o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Which part of the body though? If it's body shaving, then electric, if it's beard / mustache, then traditional.

Avatar image for nicholas_attano
Nicholas_Attano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I keep forgetting to buy an electric shave goddamn