Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#251  Edited By JasonR86

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

That's shitty. Don't use tragedy to push political agenda. Especially immediately after the tragedy. Assholes.

When's the right time then? When the next shooting happens? It's already too late.

It hasn't even been a day. Mourn for a second or two. Regardless, I don't even know if keeping concealed guns would have any effect at all on shootings positive or negative. There's a lot we don't know about how such a law would effect school violence. I can't imagine simply having a gun in school would increase or really decrease the number of school shootings. There's just not enough out there. But no matter what would happen or whether that law should come to pass or not bringing it up now just plays on the emotions of shocked people. Few people are going to be thinking rationally about guns and schools right now. Maybe not for a while. Wait to talk about this shit until we all have a moment to digest what has happened and can think clear. On the very day of a tragedy is not a time to be discussing the implementation of laws. There's too much emotion right now.

And, to me anyway, it looks like someone playing on the emotions of people who are vulnerable right now. That really bothers me.

Don't you think that maybe the people who are so aghast are that way specifically because they do mourn the deceased? Frankly, it's insulting that you would assume that their demand for change is based entirely on a dogmatic political agenda.

That's not what I said or at least meant. This isn't the time to make decisions on law because people are too emotional. Mourn and make decisions when people can think rationally. That's what I'm saying. I'm also saying that I get the impression that any political professional that brings up anti-gun laws now are playing on emotions and I think they are assholes. They may not be. But that is what it looks like to me.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#252  Edited By Nottle

@Ramone: Thats probably not what most people, even people that like guns, are thinking. People that don't want stricter laws don't want stuff like this to happen. They want guns for protection and they also want guns to be in the hands of those that know how to use one responsibly. They want the people operating the guns to be knowledgeable.

@JasonR86: Oh yeah. Forgot about that part.

Avatar image for shadowconqueror
ShadowConqueror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#253  Edited By ShadowConqueror

What a great thing to wake up to. Why does this shit keep happening?

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#254  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Degringolade said:

Gun control may not be the right answer to mass shootings. But not talking about what to do is definitely the wrong answer.

Exactly do something, I have posted this alot in these threads but the gun buyback scheme is a step in the right direction. Offer more money than the guns are worth, no questions asked scheme. Alot of illegal arms dealers would make way more money selling their guns at an inflated price to the government, than selling guns to crack heads. Worked very well in Australia in 1996. People only seem to talk about gun control when massacres happen, in 2007 266 people are shot were shot on average every day. But that isn't worth talking about apparently.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#255  Edited By MrKlorox

That's cheating. You're supposed to target your peers when committing mass murders. This guy's going to have an asterisk by his name in the record books.

ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#256  Edited By ericdrum

So sad. As a father myself, my heart breaks for all involved.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#257  Edited By gamefreak9

The yields of inequality.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By FengShuiGod

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

@FengShuiGod said:

@Vegetable_Side_Dish said:

RIght, schools full of 1. tiny kids that don't know what they're doing/the dangers of guns and may come across one by accident 2. older kids that are fucking assholes and want to threaten someone/are going through shitty lives and let things spiral out of control in their heads (as teenagers do) and have the capability to take a gun (or are old enough to own one)3. teach/visitors/general outsiders Are the perfect places for concealed weapons. No added danger in that at all, no need to be concerned. Concealed guns in schools you say? Why not! Law passed!

If a gun is found by a child, someone already messed up. I'm not sure concealed carry impacts this scenario.

If you are worried about older kids taking someones gun, then you should probably be in favor of concealed carry as it conceals the weapon. Also, older kids in high school wouldn't be able to legally carry a concealed weapon in high school.

Not sure what you mean by "teach/visitors/general outsiders", but if you are worried about people bringing a concealed gun in to do bad things, I doubt the law has much impact on that as they could have done that before too.

"If a gun is found by a child, someone already messed up" Best solution: don't allow guns in schools, especially 'concealed' guns that go unaccounted for. " If you are worried about older kids taking someones gun" Best solution: don't allow guns in schools, especially 'concealed' guns that go unaccounted for. "Not sure what you mean by "teach/visitors/general outsiders", but if you are worried about people bringing a concealed gun in to do bad things" Best solution: don't allow guns in schools, especially 'concealed' guns that go unaccounted for.

Tell me how many people get killed because someone with a concealed weapon misplaces their gun during their carry.

Tell me how many people steal someone's legally concealed weapon off their person and use it to kill others.

Tell me how many kids were killed in a gun free zone today.

Your "best solution" is a totally ineffectual non-solution.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By jking47

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Degringolade said:

Gun control may not be the right answer to mass shootings. But not talking about what to do is definitely the wrong answer.

Exactly do something, I have posted this alot in these threads but the gun buyback scheme is a step in the right direction. Offer more money than the guns are worth, no questions asked scheme. Alot of illegal arms dealers would make way more money selling their guns at an inflated price to the government, than selling guns to crack heads. Worked very well in Australia in 1996. People only seem to talk about gun control when massacres happen, in 2007 266 people are shot were shot on average every day. But that isn't worth talking about apparently.

Somehow I don't think giving illegal arms dealers more money is in any way a good idea. They are arms DEALERS, so with the inflated price they can turn around and buy more guns from the less discerning places around the globe.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#260  Edited By Matterless

Photo at the top of the Hartford Courant's website:

No Caption Provided
Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@TheRealJpoe said:

There is a video on his Facebook of him & a friend playing GTA4. Get ready for Video Games to be blamed!

Man that sucks for this guy but you would have to be stupid to think video games aren't a factor, vunerable people with psychotic problems shooting people in the face in games from an early age has to do something. Kid's playing Call of Duty with levels like "No Russian" with some very realistic graphics, when I was a kid you didn't have the realism you have to today in games.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By jking47

The guys facebook just went dark. If it really wasn't him he probably should have made a public post saying so.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@jking47: He already did, he said he was at work. The gun men were shot no?

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By zeforgotten
@jking47 said:

The guys facebook just went dark. If it really wasn't him he probably should have made a public post saying so.

He did, over and over again. 
PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By PeasantAbuse

Truly heartbreaking, so many lives devastated so close to Christmas. Awful awful awful.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Scrawnto

@JasonR86 said:

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

That's shitty. Don't use tragedy to push political agenda. Especially immediately after the tragedy. Assholes.

When's the right time then? When the next shooting happens? It's already too late.

It hasn't even been a day. Mourn for a second or two. Regardless, I don't even know if keeping concealed guns would have any effect at all on shootings positive or negative. There's a lot we don't know about how such a law would effect school violence. I can't imagine simply having a gun in school would increase or really decrease the number of school shootings. There's just not enough out there. But no matter what would happen or whether that law should come to pass or not bringing it up now just plays on the emotions of shocked people. Few people are going to be thinking rationally about guns and schools right now. Maybe not for a while. Wait to talk about this shit until we all have a moment to digest what has happened and can think clear. On the very day of a tragedy is not a time to be discussing the implementation of laws. There's too much emotion right now.

And, to me anyway, it looks like someone playing on the emotions of people who are vulnerable right now. That really bothers me.

Don't you think that maybe the people who are so aghast are that way specifically because they do mourn the deceased? Frankly, it's insulting that you would assume that their demand for change is based entirely on a dogmatic political agenda.

That's not what I said or at least meant. This isn't the time to make decisions on law because people are too emotional. Mourn and make decisions when people can think rationally. That's what I'm saying. I'm also saying that I get the impression that any political professional that brings up anti-gun laws now are playing on emotions and I think they are assholes. They may not be. But that is what it looks like to me.

Hey, blast political professionals all you want, but that top post by you in this pyramid sure seemed like an accusation against FengShuiGod and/or CptBedlam.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By JasonR86

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

At least one was. It's not clear yet if there was more then one shooter.

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#268  Edited By Matterless
No Caption Provided
jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By jking47

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TheRealJpoe said:

There is a video on his Facebook of him & a friend playing GTA4. Get ready for Video Games to be blamed!

Man that sucks for this guy but you would have to be stupid to think video games aren't a factor, vunerable people with psychotic problems shooting people in the face in games from an early age has to do something. Kid's playing Call of Duty with levels like "No Russian" with some very realistic graphics, when I was a kid you didn't have the realism you have to today in games.

Don't be dense, realistic graphics do not make something real. When you are carrying a controller it is a pretty obvious that the things happening on screen are not real. Don't try to place the blame on video games, or for that matter any type of media.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@JasonR86 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Imagine if some vigilante shot him because of this misreporting.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#271  Edited By JasonR86

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

Hey, blast political professionals all you want, but that top post by you in this pyramid sure seemed like an accusation against FengShuiGod and/or CptBedlam.

It wasn't.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By jking47

@JasonR86 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Well I was on his facebook page and saw no post saying anything, only saw the pics floating around the internet which I assumed were taken by his friends.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By Ramone

@Nottle said:

@Ramone: Thats probably not what most people, even people that like guns, are thinking. People that don't want stricter laws don't want stuff like this to happen. They want guns for protection and they also want guns to be in the hands of those that know how to use one responsibly. They want the people operating the guns to be knowledgeable.

They want guns in schools. They may not want what I said to happen but it's the only logical conclusion.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By Scrawnto

@JasonR86 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

But the one named Ryan Lanza was the one shot, wasn't he? I doubt there were two Ryan Lanzas at the scene.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#275  Edited By Milkman

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86: This is the same stuff that everyone says after every shooting. And nothing ever gets done (not that I think anything will get done now either). You need to talk about when it's fresh in people's minds. What happened is fucking horrible so the talk should immediately go to how we stop this from ever happening again. We could wait and let some time pass and then nobody cares. And then the cycle repeats.

Everyone is going to care about shootings in schools forever and ever. Making rash decisions when people are upset doesn't help anyone.

If everyone cared about shootings in schools forever and ever, something would have been done by now.

I look forward to having this exact same conversation again in a few months for the next shooting.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By jking47

@Ramone said:

@Nottle said:

They want guns in schools. They may not want what I said to happen but it's the only logical conclusion.

The problem with that train of thought, is that at the moment there were no guns in that school. While I am not sure which side of the issue I fall on, having no guns in the school clearly did not stop this from happening.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By JasonR86

@Scrawnto said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

But the one named Ryan Lanza was the one shot, wasn't he? I doubt there were two Ryan Lanzas at the scene.

I think the idea is that they could have miss-ID'd the body in the school. Or his account was hacked. Or he was the second gunmen if there were two.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By FengShuiGod

@jking47 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TheRealJpoe said:

Don't be dense, realistic graphics do not make something real. When you are carrying a controller it is a pretty obvious that the things happening on screen are not real. Don't try to place the blame on video games, or for that matter any type of media.

I think he does make a point about the increasing realism of games though. Surely we can all agree that Call of Duty is more mimetic of reality than Pong. Realistic graphics do make things more real, if you will. At what point does technology progress so that video games do blur that line? /sci-fi nerd

Matterless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By Matterless
DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

There is a picture floating around from a 4chan post on 12/12. The post says that a guy is going to kill himself at 9am and that it will make the news. He used the picture of the dead Colombine shooters, anf said he was from CT.

I do not know if real, and cant link it cause Im on my phone.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Draxyle

I hate, hate, hate, hate the US gun culture. When I think of the responsibility of the average person, I feel like maybe 10% of the population at best is mentally equipped to handle a gun, I am not one of them. This culture that presumes we are better off with even more guns in the mix is completely psychotic.

It is a tough fight though. Guns are already so prolific and ingrained that it's nigh impossible to stem the tide. Maybe there will finally be enough backlash this time around to make some progress at the very least.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#282  Edited By jakob187

Reports are saying that the Facebook profile of Ryan Lanza is in fact the shooter, and that the posts that were being made as well as the deletion of the profile were by Lanza's younger brother, who is now in custody.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By PeasantAbuse

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86: This is the same stuff that everyone says after every shooting. And nothing ever gets done (not that I think anything will get done now either). You need to talk about when it's fresh in people's minds. What happened is fucking horrible so the talk should immediately go to how we stop this from ever happening again. We could wait and let some time pass and then nobody cares. And then the cycle repeats.

Everyone is going to care about shootings in schools forever and ever. Making rash decisions when people are upset doesn't help anyone.

I look forward to having this exact same conversation again in a few months for the next shooting.

nice

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By JasonR86

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

If everyone cared about shootings in schools forever and ever, something would have been done by now.

This law was being discussed prior to this shooting. There's not like a magic switch that will fix these problems. Simply having or not having guns in schools probably won't do anything either. No offense dude but it's real easy to simply yell 'fix it'.

Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#285  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@jking47 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TheRealJpoe said:

My grandad's handicapped brother jumped out a 3rd story window thinking he could fly like superman. Don't be dense that people with mental problems aren't influenced by media. You would have to be stupid to think that playing games with levels like "No Russian" from a young age would not have an effect on your mental development.

Scrawnto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Scrawnto

@jakob187 said:

Reports are saying that the Facebook profile of Ryan Lanza is in fact the shooter, and that the posts that were being made as well as the deletion of the profile were by Lanza's younger brother, who is now in custody.

Woah, that is an unexpected development. : I guess I have my answer.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#287  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@DrDarkStryfe said:

There is a picture floating around from a 4chan post on 12/12. The post says that a guy is going to kill himself at 9am and that it will make the news. He used the picture of the dead Colombine shooters, anf said he was from CT. I do not know if real, and cant link it cause Im on my phone.

The link in question: http://i.imgur.com/yrLcT.jpg(NSFW). Dunno what to believe anymore, given...

@jakob187 said:

Heh, well at least that's an interesting twist... Ugh, this whole thing's fucked.

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#288  Edited By bacongames

The thought of having so much hope and love one ones young child to be struck down is absolutely impossible to imagine, my heart along with millions of others goes out to the parents and others close to all who've been killed. I know it may not be as easy for someone with access to a university library database but if you want to get informed, do some online research on the issue in scholarly sources that study this stuff for a living. Between justice, psychology, criminology, and sociology, there is a mountain of research done that, with empirical methodology, can more effectively address why this happens. At least it's way better than relyingon forum posts and political leaders so close to the shooting. I'm not going to lecture people on the stuff I know about this I know from sociology and criminology but at the very least I think it would help to look up research in those fields to reach your own conclusions better informed than when you entered it.

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By jking47

@FengShuiGod said:

@jking47 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TheRealJpoe said:

I think he does make a point about the increasing realism of games though. Surely we can all agree that Call of Duty is more mimetic of reality than Pong. Realistic graphics do make things more real, if you will. At what point does technology progress so that video games do blur that line? /sci-fi nerd

Maybe if we get to a point where we are plugging our brains into something and running hyper realistic simulations we can have this talk, but in my opinion holding a controller and bunny hopping all over the place make it unrealistic. Even as a kid I was always able to separate fantasy from reality, from video games to movies to books, and I feel that any mentally healthy individual should be able to do the same. Now when we get into the mental health issue this blows up into a lot more variables of course, but that is an issue with identifying and treating mental health problems in children, not censorship. All just an opinion of course, take it with a grain of salt.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#290  Edited By breadfan

This is fucking appalling. Such a tragic loss of life.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#291  Edited By Milkman

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

This law was being discussed prior to this shooting. There's not like a magic switch that will fix these problems. Simply having or not having guns in schools probably won't do anything either. No offense dude but it's real easy to simply yell 'fix it'.

Oh, I agree. It's not easy to fix it at all. But I don't think that means we shouldn't talk about it.

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#292  Edited By FengShuiGod

@Ramone said:

@Nottle said:

I don't think they necessarily want guns in schools, they just want people to have the right to have them there. That alone could be enough to dissuade a would be killer, at least so goes the argument. Historically guns haven't been allowed in schools, and yet these massacres happen, so it seems the only logical conclusion is the posteriori reality we have now: one in which massacres overwhelmingly occur in gun free zones.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By mandude

@Trainer_Red said:

@mandude: I didn't mean just you even though I was using you as an example, I just mean in general. Most of us will forget this ever happened and the most 99% of us will do about any of this is bitch about this on forum sites and on Facebook. Not you per se (because I don't know you) but people in general. What i'm trying to say is, this thread is meaningless and will have zero significance in the real world.

I agree that this thread will house nothing more than discussion and bitching, and it would be dangerously naïve if everyone thought otherwise.

However, it would also be naïve to think that just because Giantbomb (or any other forum) ceases to be useful beyond discussion, that it can't play catalyst to a greater change. More people will be informed about this issue because of this thread, and those who were previously informed will find it harder to ignore the fact that nothing is being done about it.

Of course, not everyone will go past the discussion stage, but how can you comfortably gauge the level at which people do go beyond it at 1% (or any number) when there is no metric in place? Even so, why stand in the way of that 1% simply because the majority are too lazy to do anything?

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Milkman

@jakob187 said:

Well, fuck.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#295  Edited By JasonR86

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

@JasonR86 said:

@Milkman said:

Oh, I agree. It's not easy to fix it at all. But I don't think that means we shouldn't talk about it.

Neither do I. But there's a time for it.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By Nottle

@Ramone said:

@Nottle said:

Or logically if everyone has a gun, and there is 1 crazy person, the crazy person is killed instantly.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#297  Edited By audiosnow

It's truly heartbreaking to watch people wriggle and squirm like wounded worms, looking for someplace for the blame to rest--anywhere but its proper place.

My prayers are with the families.

Optix12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By Optix12

@mandude: I agree with your points. Being from the UK its great to see the US view on gun control considering the UK simply rarely has these discussions. Along with informing me of cases for stricter/looser gun control and what happened in Australia in the mid 90s.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#299  Edited By TheHT

@FluxWaveZ said:

@DrDarkStryfe said:

There is a picture floating around from a 4chan post on 12/12. The post says that a guy is going to kill himself at 9am and that it will make the news. He used the picture of the dead Colombine shooters, anf said he was from CT. I do not know if real, and cant link it cause Im on my phone.

The link in question: http://i.imgur.com/yrLcT.jpg(NSFW). Dunno what to believe anymore, given...

@jakob187 said:

Heh, well at least that's an interesting twist... Ugh, this whole thing's fucked.

Geez...

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By jking47

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@jking47 said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@TheRealJpoe said:

My grandad's handicapped brother jumped out a 3rd story window thinking he could fly like superman. Don't be dense that people with mental problems aren't influenced by media. You would have to be stupid to think that playing games with levels like "No Russian" from a young age would not have an effect on your mental development.

I am sorry about your grandpa's brother, but that is kinda my point, its not the media it is the mental health issues. If it wasn't superman it could just as easily been a bird.

Alright I will agree with you there, playing that kind of things at a VERY young age may have some effects, but that is the fault of the parents for giving a young child a game like call of duty in the first place. If they are going to be playing games where you shoot people they should be of an age to where they realize the difference between that and real life.