So I don't feel like gaming anymore.

Jacob_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Jacob_Shock

Seems that the last 6 months of my life have been pretty much without the want to play any games. Yet, it's not that I that I can't find the time, it's just that whenever I sit down to play I just can't keep my focus or the game can't hold my interest for more than 25-30 mins.

The last game I sorta played was GTA 4, bout 1 month ago, cause I bought it at reasonable price over steam, but even that could only keep my attention at 45 mins at a time tops. Haven't finished it and I don't intend to either. Even though it's a great game, with great characters. The last game, I put in more than 30 hours was Dragonage and thats about 5 months ago I reckon. I have no desire to play any games online either. Funny thing is, I haven't lost my interest in video games as a medium and it's community. Still check news and reviews daily and listen to the bombcast weekly and sometimes more than once. 

My question is, am I the only one get these phases where you just have no desire to play anything? Or am I just getting old.. =/   

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By meteora

Nah, it happens. Gamers get exhausted of gaming every once in a while and need to take a break. You'll jump right back into gaming sooner or later.

Jacob_Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jacob_Shock

@Meteora:

Yeah, I reckon. Cause I've always been a casual gamer, but it's never been this bad really. Always used it as a stress relief medium of a sort.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

Yeah it happens to everyone, take a break, do some work, go somewhere, do something else for a while. It'll either come back or it won't. 

Happened to me once and lasted nearly 3 years, I spent the majority of that time playing non-video games, dungeons and dragons, card games, poker, go, all sorts.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Fallen189

Me too, I grew up.

I'd rather just play spelunky and tetris.

jbrader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jbrader

Try playing a genre you haven't spent much time with. If you play a lot of action games have a go at one of the Civs or something. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By Meowayne

Get a DS or Wii.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c3985c661d1
deactivated-58c3985c661d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

for sure. happens to everyone. Thats the same with any hobby though. You just need a new game (or new to you at least) to spark your interest again. Like some people suggested, try a different game or console. 

Avatar image for somethingclever
SomethingClever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By SomethingClever

I go through that once in a while.  For me it mostly comes when there are too many games I want to play.  I get this sort of odd melancholy when I have to pick one game over another and I end up playing neither.  I'm not even talking purchasing one over the other, this happens even if I own them.  I will just stare at my collection for 15 minutes, sigh, then go grab a book instead. 

Because of this I've got some games I've never played and the desire to play them has lapsed but I still feel compelled to own them.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By triple07

Yep has happened to me a couple of times. I eventually got back into it later though. Also since I missed a bunch of games when I did come back there were a bunch of cheap games I wanted to play.

Meltac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meltac

It happens all the time, and it aint that unusual. At the moment I only feel like playing Fifa 10, because everything else is uninteresting to me.

super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By super_machine

I am about there. I've just had a lot of things in my life fall apart and I realize that escaping into video games was not helping me live.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx
@Phunk_King said:
"I go through that once in a while.  For me it mostly comes when there are too many games I want to play.  I get this sort of odd melancholy when I have to pick one game over another and I end up playing neither.  I'm not even talking purchasing one over the other, this happens even if I own them.  I will just stare at my collection for 15 minutes, sigh, then go grab a book instead.  Because of this I've got some games I've never played and the desire to play them has lapsed but I still feel compelled to own them. "

QFT 
I have this problem alot as well. I will admit lately the games I get I have no desire to finish. It's not because the game is bad or anything; I just lose interest. Because of this I started renting games (at least for now) and strangely the games I have rented so far I have actually really liked I just never bought them for whatever reason. I think, for me anyway, its the over saturation of games and hype. I like alot of different kinds of games (only ones I cant seem to really get into is RTS's) so theres alot to choose from and either I buy alot of games (to many) hoping to play each or just want to many games, and I get an emotionally full feeling no longer wanting to play anything. Then I play something that for some reason captures me throughout the game (Most recently Ratchet and Clank Future, Crack in time ) and I enjoy myself. 

So ya, thats just my thoughts on it. To many games maybe. I would just get games when theyre old so theres nothing in the way of getting it (to much hype and over saturation and what not) but usually by that time I forget what games I wanted to play so... thats why I'm renting games for now.  

I'm still pre-ordering Alan Wake though =P
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's called growing up.

Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Ryax
@Meteora said:
" Nah, it happens. Gamers get exhausted of gaming every once in a while and need to take a break. You'll jump right back into gaming sooner or later. "
this is pretty much exactly right. ive gone through it plenty of times. you take a break then getting back into gaming is a bit better cuz youve gone a while without it
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gabriel

My advice would be to drastically switch up the type of game you play. So if you regularly play FPS or TPS try playing Demon's Souls or Street Fighter.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Trilogy

Can't say that I feel the same. I enjoy gaming as much as I ever did. I would tell you to take a break from it but you seem to already have.

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishan6

you join a gaming website as soon as u realize u dont want to game anymore?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

It has never happened to me because video games are amazing.

RichardLOlson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20  Edited By RichardLOlson

Yea it happens to everyone.  I went through about 2 yrs ago, I spent a year a six months not playing games.  I didn't feel the urge to do it anymore, it was like something was better in my life.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#21  Edited By KaosAngel

...TF2 is like crack now.  It's like Valve knows if you mix loot with FPS, people will be forced to play.  So everyday I play TF2 thanks to Fallen198 and that idle trick, and lately been playing Splinter Cell Conviction, plus Beat Hazard, Lead and Gold, and Torchlight.  

If you PC game, that shit is easy...too much shit is out. 

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By luce

This thread disgusts me.

"It's called growing up" pssh

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#23  Edited By Jambones

Happens a lot when I am tired, so I'd say if you feel like playing a game but that lasts only 45 minutes, don't worry. Just do something else. Not wanting to play video games 24/7 is not some kind of horrible disease.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By Dalai

I think everybody goes through gaming withdrawal at some point. It's totally normal.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28
deactivated-5cdb69f34ac28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@HandsomeDead said:

" It's called growing up. "

Hahaha...

It's just that other things will take hold of your interests and focus. Right now, Jeff is more interested in writing songs than doing things that involve video games. For me, I am more interested in studying Chinese than video games right now. Eventually, it will shift to the other direction. It is the pendulum of life.
Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

I find that I really dont have the patience to play for more than a hour to two hours max a day.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Recently I've only been playing Racing simulations, which aren't really games, so I guess I can join in. I'm hoping some DLC for one of my favourite games will get me interested again.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28  Edited By KaosAngel
@zudthespud said:
" Recently I've only been playing Racing simulations, which aren't really games, so I guess I can join in. I'm hoping some DLC for one of my favourite games will get me interested again. "
So you're still playing GT5P and GT4?
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Mikewrestler5
@HandsomeDead: 

What does age have to do with anything?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#30  Edited By Cube

Find an equal hobby. 

For me, when I don't feel like gaming I watch anime. When I don't feel like watching anime I play games. I find it works really well - you should find your other hobby.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Diamond

I think what happens to some gamers is they make gaming their ONLY hobby or activity, and when they're not spending most of their time gaming they wonder why.  There's nothing wrong with other activities even taking up more of your time than actual gaming, that's normal.

Sometimes it is due to looking at the wrong games, sometimes money is a factor, but don't always play the same stuff, no wonder you'd be bored.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Mikewrestler5 said:
" @HandsomeDead:   What does age have to do with anything? "
As you grow, your interests change. 10 years ago I was into different stuff than I was 5 years ago and 5 years ago i'm into different stufff than I'm into now so feeling like something you used to love doesn't interest you anymore isn't a strang or bad thing, it's natural. Especially when talking about something as broad and stagnant as video games in general.
Mikewrestler5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mikewrestler5
@HandsomeDead: 

I suppose. So I take it that you don't game anymore, right?
HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By HandsomeDead
@Mikewrestler5: Far less than I used to. It's definitely now more of a distraction than a hobby.
BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By BeachThunder

If you don't feel like playing anything, then just don't; there's no need to force yourself. But having said that, why not check out games/genres that you haven't paid much attention to? Maybe you mind find something that interests you that you've never considered before.