• 68 results
sublime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By sublime

Poll So I moved from Texas to Colorado... (304 votes)

Snow's sick! 63%
Snow sucks! 37%

and it's starting to snow heavy. it's ridiculous to me the amount of concern i can have while driving around, as i saw a lot more people get into accidents than i ever had in texas when it was raining (and believe me, texans can fuck up hardcore in the rain). it's starting to snow again outside and it's very nice to look at, but what do you think? i've only lived in this kind of climate for a little bit and i can appreciate it regardless of whether i have to shovel it to get to work (which i had to!). my family loves the pictures, but is snow only really admired when you're not having to experience a lot of it?

• 
TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I like snow for about a week a year, when I go skiing. Outside of that please never snow.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aside from how well I sleep during the Winter. F*** snow!

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's real upward movement, weed-wise.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

1. Welcome to Colorado.
  2. Snow is awesome.
  3. Cool winter air + the warm sun is the best weather combination.
  4. Cars suck.
WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Welcome to the worst snow we've had this season!. We've not seen much this year so we were probably due.

As an FYI from someone who moved here 9 years ago from another warm climate (weee do not miss Arkansas), you've never seen weather as crazy as this. My first year here, I went to leave my house in June only to find snow on the ground (was in shorts and a tshirt). Never happened since, but it gives you an idea of how late in the year snow can come. Ah elevation. Not that I'd trade it for much of anything, love Colorado (though I feel bad for anyone just moving here, housing prices are CRAZY now...)

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snow is shitty at times but really amazing at it's best. A snow covered landscape is beautiful. Sledding, skiing and snowboarding are dope as fuck. SNOW MEN!

Make sure you houses all have garages in the future though.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#57  Edited By GaspoweR

Driving in snowy weather is the fucking worst especially when the other drivers are still driving in about the same speed as normal weather, which causes a lot of accidents.

Another pet peeve is when people don't get rid of the heavy "snow luggage" they have on top of the car and when driving in ~40 mph or higher speed in bigger roads that have been plowed (or in highways or expressways) some of it would fly toward the car following them, which can be hella dangerous.

mickelboy182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm Australian and we obviously don't get snow (aside from a few mountains, but not where people actually live) but I visited NYC in February this year. It was absolutely awesome to experience it snowing and I loved it the first couple of days, but yeah after that I realised how much of an inconvenience it is. Having to shovel it, cars getting buried, streets all icy...

Snow is a fun thing to visit, wouldn't want to live in it! :p

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rethla: Chop my legs off right now, bolt one of those to me and put me on top of a mountain!

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I'm jealous of your ability to go snowboarding/skiing, as Pennsylvania feels like summer right now (not really but sort of). But yeah, I'm crazy careful in the snow even though I've been driving in it for years. Its scary and can surprise you, but neutral is your friend and don't slam on your brakes.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I love snow. Here in Stockholm, Sweden I have barely seen snow in three or four years. Barely.

I can throw a rock over the polar circle (if I throw it a lot of times).

#stopglobalwarming

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@zelyre said:

@sublime: The thing I noticed about snow in Colorado is that it never lasts. At least in the Denver area, it snows, then gets sunny and warm a day later. Because of this, they're no where near as efficient at clearing the streets as us Chicago folk are. Last year, it dumped eight inches of snow through the night and into the morning. In Chicago, salt and plow trucks would have made multiple runs to keep the streets clear. In Colorado, they just sort of let the sun take care of it - which also means I saw more trucks and SUVs in ditches in a day than I would see a whole winter here in Chicago.

Also, a bit of a side note. Check out the Wizard's Chest! It's in Denver, near the Cherry Creek Mall - also check out Enchanted Grounds on Colorado Blvd in Denver.

@csl316 said:

First couple snows of the season are nice and peaceful. But come March, you never want to see it again.

I'm in Chicago, and when I had to drive through the city during snowfall in my Mustang it was a bad time every time.

I remember driving my 98 Mustang with no traction control in the Chicago winters. If the incline was more than 20 degrees, I'd be stuck.

However, sliding all over the place made me a very good snow driver, as I was forced to learn how to slide around every turn.

Yep, I've been doing RWD since 2008, so I know my limitations but can survive when I have no choice. But going into an all-wheel drive car in comparison makes driving in the snow a cinch. Although if they announce those 300 hp AWD Fusions, I might have to take a look...

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By ltsmash

Also in Chicago and my job includes shoveling snow.

So snow can get bent.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Pft! Fuck snow!

No Caption Provided

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snow's sick in areas with transportation departments capable of dealing with clearing the roadways.

Seattle doesn't have that...

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

I lived in Minnesota and in Ontario before moving to Texas and I gotta say that as much as I loved snow as a kid, it really sucks when it comes to driving in the snow as well as driving in the ice that it tends to harden into at night. Here in Dallas we rarely get snow more than once a year but when we do it often means treacherous roads and massive school closings. Obviously cities that get snow often are more prepared to deal with it, but still it can problems that outweigh the positives.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Much like a small child, snow can be wonderful and infuriating at the same time.

overnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By overnow

There are things that I enjoy about snow but I must admit I wish we got a little less of it up here (Ontario, Canada). Shoveling out driveways and driving in snowstorms are two things I definitely wouldn't miss. Although I actually like the cold, I find Summer way too hot so with the exception of days where it's -40 (which is the same in Celsius and Fahrenheit) and your snot is freezing in your nose, I find the cold of winter rather refreshing.

I don't know about other places but if you get seriously heavy snow/ice get winter fucking tires! Don't buy into that all-season nonsense. I don't remember the actual number but I know that winter tires have something like 30-40% better stopping distance than all-seasons in winter conditions. They actually have a law in my neighboring province of Quebec where you must have winter tires on your vehicle between December 15th and March 15th.

thatdudeguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By thatdudeguy

Welcome to Colorado!

Lots of good advice in this thread, but I would add one practical car-related tip if you're living in a high-altitude resort town: bump up your car insurance liability coverage way past the minimum. It only costs a few bucks a month to radically increase your coverage. If you're dodging clueless Range Rover drivers on steep, icy roads, it's easy to get into a minor fender bender that could bankrupt you.

Source: Lift operator acquaintance swerved to avoid an expensive SUV sliding into his lane, skidded into the rear corner of another expensive SUV in front of him, which then cue-balled into a third. He ended up on the hook for $10k in damage over his $50k liability coverage. And that was for a minor incident where no one was hurt.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can count on one hand how many times I've seen snow in real life and it's only been really really light snow. It seems like a nightmare to live in a place with lots of snow.