Sooooo, Google is taking over the world finally?

• 114 results
Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#51  Edited By Little_Socrates

I'm tempted to go to my town board and ask them to be early adopters of this tech. Multiple people I know have observed Comcast throttling their speed. No one here that I know has a speed above 2/3 MB/s, which is not necessarily awful so much as it is saddening. Most of our speeds are significantly slower than that, though. Presumably, this is because Comcast doesn't have much competition in the area.

I welcome Comcast's reckoning.

TheMasterDS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#52  Edited By TheMasterDS

I'd hate to be Comcast right now.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#53  Edited By Jams

They got some fiber optic cables there and I'm gonna get me some.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#54  Edited By aurahack

It seems amazing and, like every other Google service, will probably US only forever because the internet apparently has boundaries. 

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Jams

@aurahack said:

It seems amazing and, like every other Google service, will probably US only forever because the internet apparently has boundaries.

Well, this has to do with physically laying fiber optic cables for the internet, so yeah it'll probably be only the us for a long time. I hope it comes to my area some time this century.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 3

#56  Edited By c_rakestraw

@MorkaiTheWolf said:

I seriously hope this trials goes well cause DSL connections are killing me. They charge business class prices in our area for speeds that top out at 1 Mbps because they say I live in a 'at risk' area. What kind of crap is that?

Same. Have the "extreme business class" tier and it's still slow as hell (supposed to be running at six to eight megabytes, but I'm lucky if it ever gets to one) and far too restrictive (140GB goes fast in a large house-hold). It's a rip-off.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#57  Edited By musubi

I submit to my google overlords

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By mtcantor

Google Fiber is going to start a movement.

They won't settle for #2.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Little_Socrates said:

For some reason I read everything else in my internet guy voice but I read that sentence in Bane's voice the first time I read it.  
Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Zithe

@C_Rakestraw said:

Same. Have the "extreme business class" tier and it's still slow as hell (supposed to be running at six to eight megabytes, but I'm lucky if it ever gets to one) and far too restrictive (140GB goes fast in a large house-hold). It's a rip-off.

Are you sure it isn't 6 to 8 Mb/s with a small b? 8 Megabits = 1 MegaByte, so 1 MB/s is exactly what speed you should be getting if that's the case.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#61  Edited By LiquidPrince

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Better Google than fucking Apple

I'm pretty sure Apple didn't have plans to create an internet pipeline system. Alas, they still make solid OSs that are mainstays for creatives. So, shut up.

I think the hostility comes from the fact that Apple is being a fucking asshole and trying to sue every company that is in competition with. It recently was awarded like 20 touch based patents that it should NOT have been awarded that will essentially kill every other mobile device on the market. Things like having a fucking list appear on your phone, or having a search option, or using a swiping motion to unlock the phone. They're just worried that Google is making a better OS then they are (which they are) and they are trying to stamp them and everyone else out.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#62  Edited By jewunit

I put my e-mail down for notification. I look forward to seeing where this thing goes.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By napalm

@LiquidPrince said:

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

I'm pretty sure Apple didn't have plans to create an internet pipeline system. Alas, they still make solid OSs that are mainstays for creatives. So, shut up.

I think the hostility comes from the fact that Apple is being a fucking asshole and trying to sue every company that is in competition with. It recently was awarded like 20 touch based patents that it should NOT have been awarded that will essentially kill every other mobile device on the market. Things like having a fucking list appear on your phone, or having a search option, or using a swiping motion to unlock the phone. They're just worried that Google is making a better OS then they are (which they are) and they are trying to stamp them and everyone else out.

Okay, yeah, I completely agree with you. I actually use the Galaxy Nexus here. I've had it for about four months, so I was surprised when the judgement was, "yep! You can't sell that anymore!" They're just getting a little too crazy.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#64  Edited By Bollard

Goddamn, I wish the UK's internet didn't suck so freaking much. 5.4Mb is average in the US? Here is must be like 1.0 or some shit. I would kill to have 5.4, let alone freaking 1Gb.

EDIT: Apparently it's 4.7 Mb, who woulda guessed.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Itwastuesday

By the time this Fiber reaches enough places, who knows if the technology will still even be relevant? I have a feeling like it would take some serious time to get Fiber installed around the entire country.

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By mandude

@Itwastuesday said:

By the time this Fiber reaches enough places, who knows if the technology will still even be relevant? I have a feeling like it would take some serious time to get Fiber installed around the entire country.

Products tend to persist long past relevancy.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Bollard

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

The United States of America isn't the world.

It's not even the US. It's just a trial in Kansas City at the moment. Google are taking over Kansas City. FINALLY!!!

I assume that if their trial is successfully they'll roll it out across the states and eventually the rest of the world. But yeah at the moment it's a super small scale thing.

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

It's not even that. 1 Gigabit per second is 128 MegaBytes per second. It's still freaking fast by today's standards though.

It still goes beyond me why internet speeds are in bits when file sizes are in bytes...

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

#68  Edited By Little_Socrates

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG said:

@Little_Socrates said:

For some reason I read everything else in my internet guy voice but I read that sentence in Bane's voice the first time I read it.

Clearly a psychic link.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#69  Edited By c_rakestraw

@Zithe said:

@C_Rakestraw said:

Are you sure it isn't 6 to 8 Mb/s with a small b? 8 Megabits = 1 MegaByte, so 1 MB/s is exactly what speed you should be getting if that's the case.

Maybe? That would explain the speed, at least. Swear I was told that it was megabytes, though.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#70  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I'm just thrilled that the US is acutally getting affordable, fast, Internet. That's a very important step for the future.

gaminghooligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By gaminghooligan

as someone who fights a never ending battle with my ISP over how crappy their internet is, this is something I'm interested in for sure

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Renahzor

@C_Rakestraw: internet speed is always sold in megabits not megabytes, to change now would confuse too many people who don't know the difference.

Renahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Renahzor

@Chavtheworld said:

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

It's not even the US. It's just a trial in Kansas City at the moment. Google are taking over Kansas City. FINALLY!!!

I assume that if their trial is successfully they'll roll it out across the states and eventually the rest of the world. But yeah at the moment it's a super small scale thing.

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

It's not even that. 1 Gigabit per second is 128 MegaBytes per second. It's still freaking fast by today's standards though.

It still goes beyond me why internet speeds are in bits when file sizes are in bytes...

Because with a 14kbps modem, it was more convenient to measure bit transfer rate than byte. No one wanted a .0017 Megabyte/s transfer rate. You could change it now to MB/s, but what happens in 30 years again when you're wondering why we ever used MB/s when we should just be using Exabytes or Zettabytes.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By Doctorchimp

@Chavtheworld said:

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

Because most people have an internet connection that wouldn't be 1 megabyte per second.

If google measured their fiber in bytes rather than bits, most people would confuse the two and undervalue what they're doing.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By ComradeKhan
@Subjugation said:

But I don't live in Kansas City ...

I do
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@Subjugation said:

I do

Hey! Congrats! Now you have something to look forward to in life, apart from bbq and cars passing through on the way to somewhere else!

SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By SlasherMan

@Chavtheworld said:

Well, I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that bytes weren't always standardized to 8 bits. A byte is an arbitrary concept of a group of bits, but a bit has always been and will always be a bit. Plus the fact that you send bits on a wire, and not bytes. For those reasons, dealing in bits was just simpler and more straightforward.

Also it doesn't hurt that saying you have a 1000 Mbit connection sounds more impressive than simply saying you have a 128 MByte connection. Bigger numbers sell better.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@Subjugation said:

I do

Hey! Congrats! Now you have something to look forward to in life, apart from bbq and cars passing through on the way to somewhere else!

I'm sorry I can't hear you over this delicious BBQ and high-speed GOOGLE
csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#79  Edited By csl316
@ThePickle

@FluxWaveZ said:

Google Fibre coming soon.

*chuckles*
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@Subjugation said:

I do

MO or KS?

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@Subjugation said:

I do

MO or KS?

KS... I live on the state line tho, like literally i'm a few houses away from State Line road.
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@Subjugation said:

I do

MO or KS?

KS... I live on the state line tho, like literally i'm a few houses away from State Line road.

TRICK QUESTION! They are both terrible!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

The funny this is i better you really do think that where you live is better... jokes on you

I live in Baltimore. The greatest city in America.

It even says so on our benches:

Socialone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Socialone

Yeah us Canadians shouldn't get to excited about that, I'm still waiting for effin' Google Music to be available here.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

The funny this is i better you really do think that where you live is better... jokes on you

Keep telling yourselves that... and clean up that trash 

I've been to Baltimore, luckily i didn't have to stay there for very long.
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

Keep telling yourselves that... and clean up that trash I've been to Baltimore, luckily i didn't have to stay there for very long.

After experiencing our award winning crime statistics and record setting traffic accidents, not to mention being able to tour the locations from the hit TV show "The Wire," why would anyone ever want to leave?

Btw, do you people out there in KC put that provel crap on your pizza like they do in MO? If so, that's an abomination and you should be ashamed.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor: We put BBQ and JAZZ on our PIZZA! 

EDIT: and lets not forget the high-speed GOOGLE! Thats what we put on our pizza
Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Deusx

@Napalm said:

@xaLieNxGrEyx said:

Butthurt located: Location - Butt.

I´m fairly creative and love to use windows, take that generalizations!

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor: We put BBQ and JAZZ on our PIZZA! EDIT: and lets not forget the high-speed GOOGLE! Thats what we put on our pizza

And with only three traffic lights, that pizza can get to you really fast!

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor: We put BBQ and JAZZ on our PIZZA! EDIT: and lets not forget the high-speed GOOGLE! Thats what we put on our pizza

Yes it can, since the place i'd order it from is right down the street... Now I know that your trying to be witty and hoping to lay a "sick burn" on me with that one, but honestly you're not even making this fun or interesting. Give up and stay in Baltimore... KC is too big for you.
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

Yes it can, since the place i'd order it from is right down the street... Now I know that your trying to be witty and hoping to lay a "sick burn" on me with that one, but honestly you're not even making this fun or interesting. Give up and stay in Baltimore... KC is too big for you.

Duder, just having some fun with you. I lived in Missouri for 5 years. Spent a huge amount of time in Jefferson City. KC is positively metropolitan by comparison.

Didn't mean to get you all butthurt. Enjoy your inexpensive high speed internet.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Bollard

@SlasherMan said:

@Chavtheworld said:

Well, I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that bytes weren't always standardized to 8 bits. A byte is an arbitrary concept of a group of bits, but a bit has always been and will always be a bit. Plus the fact that you send bits on a wire, and not bytes. For those reasons, dealing in bits was just simpler and more straightforward.

Also it doesn't hurt that saying you have a 1000 Mbit connection sounds more impressive than simply saying you have a 128 MByte connection. Bigger numbers sell better.

Your latter point I agree with totally, definitely a marketing thing. However I totally didn't know a byte wasn't always 8 bits. That's interesting.

@Doctorchimp said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

Because most people have an internet connection that wouldn't be 1 megabyte per second.

If google measured their fiber in bytes rather than bits, most people would confuse the two and undervalue what they're doing.

I didn't mean Google should do it differently to everyone else because yes, if you changed it now it would be confusing. I just meant why it wasn't standardised earlier.

@Renahzor said:

@Chavtheworld said:

@MattyFTM said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Barrock said:

1000 MB per second.

Because with a 14kbps modem, it was more convenient to measure bit transfer rate than byte. No one wanted a .0017 Megabyte/s transfer rate. You could change it now to MB/s, but what happens in 30 years again when you're wondering why we ever used MB/s when we should just be using Exabytes or Zettabytes.

That makes sense for then, but you woulda thought when we stepped up to Broadband we might've seen a change in convention. Despite the fact my internet is still only KB/s, I would much prefer it being displayed as 0.18MB/s than 1.5Mb/s. Especially considering to people who don't understand the difference between a big "b" and a little one it can be super confusing as to why their browser says it's downloading 8x slower than their internet should be.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor: My butt feels amazing and i'm having plenty of fun... but all this fun is at your expense unfortunately, since you don't seem to be in on the joke.
mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By mtcantor

@ComradeKhan said:

@mtcantor: My butt feels amazing and i'm having plenty of fun... but all this fun is at your expense unfortunately, since you don't seem to be in on the joke.

Clearly. I just can't keep up with that sophisticated Kansas City sense of humor.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ComradeKhan
@mtcantor said:

@ComradeKhan said:

Clearly. I just can't keep up with that sophisticated Kansas City sense of humor.

Exactly... Your Baltimore bound mind is just too sensitive
cloudnineboya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By cloudnineboya

so, does america not have fibre-optic at all ? why is this news .i am confused

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By mtcantor

@cloudnineboya said:

so, does america not have fibre-optic at all ? why is this news .i am confused

Verizon has been doing it for years.

banishedsoul1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By banishedsoul1

1gbps is faster then any hardrive can write to by far. seems kinda pointless to get a connection that fast.

ManU_Fan10ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By ManU_Fan10ne

I need to move to Kansas City right now!

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#100  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

My town was going to get google's fiber with gigabit internet a few years ago. Sadly the City Hall turned down the offer because of the complaints from some fucking hippies.