Tell me about San Diego...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm headed to San Diego in February for a buddy's bachelor party. Obviously I'm going to leave it up to him as to most of the things we do, but I know next to nothing about San Diego other than that the weather is pretty great year-round. We're only there for three days, so probably not enough to time to say, golf at Torrey Pines, and the zoo is probably not on the list either. Maybe touring the Midway?

The group will feature several guys into higher-end beers, and I'd like to go buy the attendees some quality whiskeys somewhere, so any recommendations for good spots for either would be appreciated. The same goes for food. Also, is beach time out of the question? I know the weather has about as minimal variance as anywhere, but is going to the beach even a thing people do in mid-February?

I'd be interested to hear about can't-miss local stuff in general. None of us are particularly touristy, and we're all somewhat outdoorsy 30-somethings. Thanks in advance for the help, duders!

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Ron Burgundy: Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means a whale's vagina.

Veronica Corningstone: No, there's no way that's correct.

Ron Burgundy: I'm sorry, I was trying to impress you. I don't know what it means. I'll be honest, I don't think anyone knows what it means anymore. Scholars maintain that the translation was lost hundreds of years ago.

Veronica Corningstone: Doesn't it mean Saint Diego?

Ron Burgundy: No. No.

Veronica Corningstone: No, that's - that's what it means. Really.

Ron Burgundy: Agree to disagree.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By rorie

@notnert427: The Zoo is honestly pretty great if any of you decide to break off and give it a visit! Other than that I'd recommend Children's Beach in La Jolla if you want to get up close and personal with some seals. As far as food or drink goes, you'll probably get some mileage out of walking around the Gaslamp District but it is definitely a bro-y experience since half the people in San Diego are either Navy/Marines or college kids.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@rorie: I haven’t been to San Diego...this century...but I remember the Zoo being just sprawling. It felt like you could spend 2-3 days taking it all in.

The largest one to me is Bronx, which is still pretty huge, bigger than a day trip, but not on par with the scope of San Diego...

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rorie said:

@notnert427: The Zoo is honestly pretty great if any of you decide to break off and give it a visit! Other than that I'd recommend Children's Beach in La Jolla if you want to get up close and personal with some seals. As far as food or drink goes, you'll probably get some mileage out of walking around the Gaslamp District but it is definitely a bro-y experience since half the people in San Diego are either Navy/Marines or college kids.

Thanks, rorie! Will check out the gaslamp district. We're slightly bro-y if I'm being honest anyway.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@notnert427: If you go on a weekend just be prepared to wait in lines for some stuff! A lot of the nightclub-ier places will have queues.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are at all interested in flight/military/naval things the USS Midway museum is highly recommended. It's the most interesting museum I've ever been too, because it's a relatively modern aircraft carrier that was decommissioned not that long ago, converted into a museum.

bill_mcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@notnert427: The Gaslamp district is A LOT of fun. The Shout! House is a stop that I'd definitely recommend. Dueling piano bar, lively atmosphere, good drinks. There's also a burger place was was amazing. And of course, because it's San Diego, the seafood is incredible.