The 81st Oscar Ceremony

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Snail

The 81st Oscar ceremony was amazing. Far better than previous ones, and Hugh Jackman was a great host, the winners seemed fit, except for Best Original Score which should have gone ton Thomas Newman for Wall-e and Best Original Song should have gone to Peter Gabriel for his song "Down to Earth" for Wall-e which I proudly bought on the iTunes store about 1 week ago. And Wall-e should have had at least a nomination for Best Motion Picture.
I think we all know Gabriel didn't win because he refused to make a lame 65 compilation of all the three songs, he won the Grammy after all.
Ah well, the academy is fucked up.
We all know that.
Penelope Cruz beat Marisa Tomei, that's how messed up the place is. And Slumdog Millionaire is not 8 Oscars good, even though it is a great movie.
Remember when Woody Allen won the Oscar and didn't show up? Well, thanks to that he's sure never to win again. Peter Gabriel screwed them over, he didn't get the Oscar.
Bah, don't mind me. Truth is, and you can't deny that, that the Academy does manipulate all that stuff.

Anyway, it was a great ceremony and Slumdog Millionaire took 8 golden bald men statuetes, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button took 3 home and had 13 nominations... Ah, what the hell, here are the winners:

Oh and, don't hit me, but I think Michael Shanon should have won Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role.

Multiple nominations and awards

The following 15 films received multiple nominations.

The following four films received multiple awards.

Best Motion Picture of The Year

Slumdog Millionaire: Christian Colson

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

Sean Penn for Milk

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

Kate Winslet for The Reader

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Penélope Cruz for Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Best Achievement in Directing

Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire

Best Writing, Screenplay written Directly for the Screen

Milk: Dustin Lance Black

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

Best Achievement in Editing

Slumdog Millionaire: Chris Dickens

Best Achievement in Art Direction

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo

Best Achievement in Costume Design

The Duchess: Michael O'Connor

Best Achievement in Makeup

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Greg Cannom

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score

Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song

Slumdog Millionaire: A.R. Rahman, Sampooran Singh Gulzar("Jai Ho")

Best Achievement in Sound

Slumdog Millionaire: Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty

Best Achievement in Sound Editing

The Dark Knight: Richard King

Best Achievement in Visual Effects

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button: Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

WALL·E: Andrew Stanton

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Departures(Japan)

Best Documentary, Features

Man on Wire: James Marsh, Simon Chinn

Best Documentary, Short Subjects

Smile Pinki: Megan Mylan

Best Short Film, Animated

Maison en petits cubes, La: Kunio Katô

Best Short Film, Live Action

Toyland: Jochen Alexander Freydank

And there you have it! The 81st Academy Awards Ceremony!

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By MichaelBach

I totally agree, Hugh Jackman was really good as host and the whole production was more entertaining. I enjoyed some of the presenters like Ben Stillers Joaquin Phoenix imitation, Steve Martin and Tina Fay and also Jack Black is always fun to watch.

By the way.. did anyone catch the red carpet? Brad Pitt did't seem to talk to anyone.. I love the guys work.. but getting to big for an interview??
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Snail
MichaelBach said:
"I totally agree, Hugh Jackman was really good as host and the whole production was more entertaining. I enjoyed some of the presenters like Ben Stillers Joaquin Phoenix imitation, Steve Martin and Tina Fay and also Jack Black is always fun to watch.

By the way.. did anyone catch the red carpet? Brad Pitt did't seem to talk to anyone.. I love the guys work.. but getting to big for an interview??"
Yeah, Ben Stiller was awesome.

I admire what the dude did. he doesn't have to give an interview if he doesn't want to. Last time they interviewed him at a movie festival/ceremony they asked him about the kids and future family plans, that's why he didn't give any interviews.
SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Damn nice toast!  Plenty of butter.

Brad Pitt might just be high.  You know he does have everything. 

I agree about Wall-E.  Movie was so good and I mean movie, NOT Animated film. Should have been up for best picture. 

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

A sea of yellow...

I did manage to watch bits of the ceremony and it seemed alright. I'm not big on awards shows though.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Snail
LordAndrew said:
"A sea of yellow...

I did manage to watch bits of the ceremony and it seemed alright. I'm not big on awards shows though."
Yahtzee  said:
"Yellow"
Ah-ha.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust
LordAndrew said:
"A sea of yellow...

I did manage to watch bits of the ceremony and it seemed alright. I'm not big on awards shows though.
"
Me, too.  I think it was one of the better looking Oscar shows.  I liked the stage design and thought Hugh Jackman did a fine job as host.  He reminded me of the old Billy Crystal shows with his opening number.  I didn't like the "past winners tell everyone how great the nominees are" parts, though.  The Oscars are already a giant handjob to the acting community as is, without having to endure more congratulatory gratification.

At first, I was miffed that my choices were being passed over, but upon further reflection, I don't, as of yet, have the knowledge to make those arguments...and, truth be told, I don't really care what the results are.  I've seen a lot of past winners and were bored to tears by too many of them.  As I've stated before, my personal tastes are contrary to that of most critics and the Academy.  I like to come away from a movie feeling good, not depressed or moody or whatever films like Milk or The Reader are meant to evoke.  I'm really interested in Happy-go-Lucky and have it on my Netflix queue.