The difference between a Reboot, Remake, and Re-imagining?

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Honest to goodness every time I hear these words thrown around when it comes to either a film, tv series or a video game I get myself confused. Can anybody explain to me what each of these terms means or if there is a definitive meaning to each of these words when thrown in the context of media?

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2 chaser324  Moderator

I'd say that a "remake" sticks pretty closely to the source material. A "reimagining" incorporates the basic premise of the original, but plays fast and loose with everything else and can differ pretty dramatically. A "reboot" is something that I think only really applies to established franchises where the baggage accumulated gets tossed out, and the franchise begins anew telling essentially the same story.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ares42

Not gonna say this is necessarily correct, but the way I see it:

Reboot = same concept, similar execution, basically just a delayed sequel. (X-Com Enemy Unknown)

Remake = same concept, same execution, basically the same game made with modern tools. (Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition)

Re-imagining = same concept, different execution, this is where you see old franchises with completely new angles of approach. (Syndicate 2012)

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

Reboot - Basically starting a story over from the beginning. Usually also involves somewhat of a re-imagining. (The Amazing Spider-Man was a reboot of the Spider-Man story after Spider-Man 3. The recent Tomb Raider game was a reboot of the Laura Croft story.)

Remake - Basically redoing something that's already been done, but updated to fit more modern expectations. For example, Final Fantasy 1 has received countless remakes with updated graphics and mechanics, but the game itself remains essentially the same thing that was released on the NES. Remakes of movies and tv tend to involve a bit more re-imagining than games, but still sticks close to the source.

Re-imagining - Takes the core ideas of something that exists and doing something significantly different with them. Metroid Prime would be considered a re-imagining of the Metroid games.

deerokus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By deerokus

It's a little less clear cut in games, where plot doesn't always matter and/or doesn't always carry over between sequels. Every Mario platformer basically has the same plot and slightly different gameplay, it doesn't mean they're reboots or reimaginings.

In films it's generally clearer that a 'reboot' is going back to the start and throwing out all the establish story.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By ShaggE

Reboot: New mechanics, added grittiness.

Remake: Fancified, but faithful to source. Grittiness optional, but strongly suggested.

Re-imagining: So much grittiness that you could bundle the game with a stogie and a bandanna.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#7  Edited By BeachThunder
  • Reboot: Usually this refers to restarting the narrative of the franchise. Basically, asking people to forget everything they knew about the story from prior games (DmC Devil May Cry).
  • Remake: Taking an existing game and just sprucing it up - graphics, sound, extra additions, etc... (Another World: 20th Anniversary Addition).
  • Reimagining: The most severe of the three; essentially just keeping the name of the franchise and its key motifs (Syndicate).
CashBailey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CashBailey

There's no difference between the terms, just the level of pretension.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There's no difference between the terms, just the level of pretension.

Hmm.... what?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sinusoidal
  • remake - do it again
  • reboot - do it again with a different plot
  • re-imagining - do it again and change almost everything
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Hmmm... So if Nintendo says we're doing a reboot for their video games I guess we can call b.s cause it sounds like they're doing re-imaginings.