Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Wolverine

No Caption Provided
 "Did I really earn this or did I just wear you all down" is how Sandra Bullock started off her acceptance speech for best actress in a leading role for her performance in this year's feature film "The Blind Side". I can just imagine Sandra Bullock getting all dressed up and going to fancy dinner parties kissing up to Academy members to try to get them to vote for her in the same fashion that a political lobbyist tries to convince a politician to support their cause.
But film is an art form and actors and actress shouldn't be awarded by how long their contact list is but by how great the performance that they delivered was. If Sandra Bullock had respect for her medium she would have just been confident that she gave the best performance that she could have given in "The Blind Side" and would had just waited to see what would happen. I guess some preformers become so egotistical that they are willing to do anything to win an Academy Award, even if it means making it impossible for actresses that are new to hollywood like Gabourey Sidibe who was nominated for her performance in her first film, Precious from winning.
The way the Academy decides on who is given awards needs to be changed to that the Hilary Swanks of hollywood still have a chance to win.    
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Wolverine

No Caption Provided
 "Did I really earn this or did I just wear you all down" is how Sandra Bullock started off her acceptance speech for best actress in a leading role for her performance in this year's feature film "The Blind Side". I can just imagine Sandra Bullock getting all dressed up and going to fancy dinner parties kissing up to Academy members to try to get them to vote for her in the same fashion that a political lobbyist tries to convince a politician to support their cause.
But film is an art form and actors and actress shouldn't be awarded by how long their contact list is but by how great the performance that they delivered was. If Sandra Bullock had respect for her medium she would have just been confident that she gave the best performance that she could have given in "The Blind Side" and would had just waited to see what would happen. I guess some preformers become so egotistical that they are willing to do anything to win an Academy Award, even if it means making it impossible for actresses that are new to hollywood like Gabourey Sidibe who was nominated for her performance in her first film, Precious from winning.
The way the Academy decides on who is given awards needs to be changed to that the Hilary Swanks of hollywood still have a chance to win.    
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By DanielJW

Avatar did not win Best Picture. The Osacar's are a beacon of hope in my life at this moment.

francesthemule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By francesthemule

Are you sure that more people did't like her performance best and voted acordingly? 
Why does an off hand comment at an award show turn into a conspiracy?
SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Hollywood is 40% product, talent and skill and 60% schmooze.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince
@DanielJW said:
" Avatar did not win Best Picture. The Osacar's are a beacon of hope in my life at this moment. "
Hehe.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#6  Edited By Symphony
@francesthemule said:
" Are you sure that more people did't like her performance best and voted acordingly? Why does an off hand comment at an award show turn into a conspiracy? "
This.

OP sounds like they took a joke way too literally.
DJL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DJL

It was probably a joke. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive

i think you totally misunderstood what sandra bullock meant.  she meant, wear you down, as in, she has been nominated 6 times (i think) before. 
and i highly doubt she is anything like what you just described, she is married to jesse james for cryin out loud.  

@DanielJW said:

" Avatar did not win Best Picture. The Osacar's are a beacon of hope in my life at this moment. "
but they nominated it you big dummy. 
Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Coombs

It only matters if your taste is different from the pretentious douchebags who choose the winners.......

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By buzz_clik
@Wolverine: Uh, I think she was referring more to the amount of time she's spent in the industry, rather than how much glad-handing she's done.

@Symphony said:
" @francesthemule said:
" Are you sure that more people did't like her performance best and voted acordingly? Why does an off hand comment at an award show turn into a conspiracy? "
This.  OP sounds like they took a joke way too literally. "
+1 This.
DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By DanielJW
@TwoOneFive said: 
@DanielJW said:
but they nominated it you big dummy.  "
It didn't win, sir. The Academy did it's duty. 
Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

At least it introduced me to Logorama. I'd link it but it appears to have disappeared from the internet entirely, probably due to an explosive increase in interest. Frankly I'm surprised it happened in the first place... Homicidal Ronald McDonald? Swearing Michelin Men? Some European company's mascot smoking cigarettes? It's the kind of thing that gives marketing people nightmares... or wet dreams, I can't decide.

pwnasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pwnasaurus

thats nothing like winning
buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By buzz_clik
@SuperfluousMoniker: Yeah, Logorama looked exactly like the kind of thing I'd be into, with multiple viewings. Part 1 is here on YouTube, although a luvverly crisp higher-resolution-than-necessary version would be sweet.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By zeforgotten
@TwoOneFive said:
@DanielJW said:
That they did. 
But it still didn't win. 
That's like them going "Hey, you know, you could win movie.. There's a big chance you could win... Aaaaw, too bad, You sucked more than the other one"
AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By AgentofChaos
@TwoOneFive said:
" i think you totally misunderstood what sandra bullock meant.  she meant, wear you down, as in, she has been nominated 6 times (i think) before. 
and i highly doubt she is anything like what you just described, she is married to jesse james for cryin out loud.  

@DanielJW said:
They nominate so that idiots will tune in hoping to see it take awards.
Laharl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Laharl

The oscars(and every other award show) is just one big circle jerk, the winners are just the ones that get to take the biggest loads on their face. Why people outside of the industry even care is beyond me.

Alphiehyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Alphiehyr
@Laharl said:
" The oscars(and every other award show) is just one big circle jerk, the winners are just the ones that get to take the biggest loads on their face. Why people outside of the industry even care is beyond me. "
I second this.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

Have you never had to give a lecture, a talk at a wedding, or even a speech at school before?
You should always try to include jokes, and I don't see her comment here as anything but that.  If she seriously only won the award by shady means.. why would she have come out and said that during her acceptance speech?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheHT

Her acceptance speech was great. And Hilary Swank won 2 Oscars. :s

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By buzz_clik
@TheHT said:
" Her acceptance speech was great. "
I agree, I really enjoyed it. It came off with just the right combination of humour, humility, Oscar-worthy weeping and genuine stunned expression.
Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Bombs_Away

I think Wolverine made a bit of an idiot out of himself starting this thread...

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

It's no secret that the Academy likes to give out awards to actors who've been "up to bat" often but never scored a run (ah baseball metaphors).  Paul Newman was nominated several times for much better movies than "The Color of Money", and Al Pacino was nominated 7 times (including twice for "The Godfather" movies) before he took home a statue for "A Scent of a Woman".  Geraldine Page won an award in 1985 with her 8th nomination.  Her first nomination was in 1956! 

Bullock picks up her Razzie in person
 Bullock picks up her Razzie in person
However that's not the case here.  This was Bullock's first nomination and win from the Academy.  So, then it can probably be explained one of two ways.  Either (A) she put in the best performance in her craft for the 2009 year, or (B) it was the "Marisa Tomei Effect".  Where Oscar tries to keep "fresh" by awarding the golden statue to a long shot whether or not they deserve it.  I haven't seen the movie, so I don't know how compelling she was in creating the character.  All I know is that the same year that she won an Academy Award, she also won a Razzie for her work in "All About Steve". 

Whatever the case, she appears to be a likable enough person and, in truth, the Oscars mean very little to me these days.
RoujinX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By RoujinX

Sylvester Stallone is an Oscar nominee. 
Think about it.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#25  Edited By Geno

1. It was a joke. 
2. It was referring to how she had been in so many good or popular movies but had yet to win an Oscar, possibly because she's never really been given a chance (sort of like Jim Carrey).  
3. The Academy is well known for giving out "oh but they deserve it" awards. 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TwoOneFive
@RoujinX said:

" Sylvester Stallone is an Oscar nominee. Think about it. "

he was great in that movie though. he deserved it. just as much as Mickey Rourke deserved to be for The Wrestler.  

@ZeForgotten said: 

@TwoOneFive said: 

@DanielJW said: 
That they did. But it still didn't win. That's like them going "Hey, you know, you could win movie.. There's a big chance you could win... Aaaaw, too bad, You sucked more than the other one" "

oh okay, with this logic district 9, up, up in the air etc etc all sucked more than the other one huh? 

you know, you guys all talk about how stupid the oscars are, but now all of the sudden you are taking them serious.
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By turbomonkey138

One word ...Bribes

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TwoOneFive
@turbomonkey138 said:
" One word ...Bribes "
im pretty sure if that were the case than avatar would most definitely would have won, not the movie that grossed next to nothing in comparison. and besides, if there was any bribing going on, the academy seems so snobbish as it is that they would take immediate offense to it. 

i havent seen the blind side, but i have heard she was excellent in it.   
i mean, you cant seriously say that super fat chic deserved it. all she did was act like a big sad fat girl. wowzers.  
and thank god they didnt give it to mirren or streep- especially streep she is ssuuuuper annoying. 
ht101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#29  Edited By ht101

For those who haven't seen The Blind Side yet this year, you need to see it.  It was my favorite movie of the year and just so you know, I saw Star Trek, Inglorious Basterds, Up, District 9 and some others that I can't think of right now.  Sandra Bullock did a superb job with her character and it was the best job I have seen her do in any of the movies I have seen her in.  She totally deserved to win on Sunday and I was very pleased when she did win it.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@buzz_clik said:
" @TheHT said:
" Her acceptance speech was great. "
I agree, I really enjoyed it. It came off with just the right combination of humour, humility, Oscar-worthy weeping and genuine stunned expression. "
In other words, she fulfilled the demands of her role perfectly and I'm not talking about The Blind Side.
JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By JokerClown88
@DanielJW said:
"Avatar did not win Best Picture. The Osacar's are a beacon of hope in my life at this moment. "

This
Earthborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Earthborn
@WinterSnowblind said:

"Have you never had to give a lecture, a talk at a wedding, or even a speech at school before? You should always try to include jokes, and I don't see her comment here as anything but that.  If she seriously only won the award by shady means.. why would she have come out and said that during her acceptance speech? "

Indeed.  She won because it was a good performance. The joke in that category was Meryl Streep, who should not have been nominated for Julie & Julia. 

Anyway, a lot of people I know were angry that Avatardidn't win: apparently, it was the best chance a sci-fi epic has had to win best picture, ever. That reason alone, for me, doesn't cut it. I'd rather have a "hard" sci-fi like District 9 win than the crap that was Avatar. And even I don't think District 9 should have been nominated.

@Wolverine said:
"

"Did I really earn this or did I just wear you all down" is how Sandra Bullock started off her acceptance speech for best actress in a leading role for her performance in this year's feature film "The Blind Side". I can just imagine Sandra Bullock getting all dressed up and going to fancy dinner parties kissing up to Academy members to try to get them to vote for her in the same fashion that a political lobbyist tries to convince a politician to support their cause.But film is an art form and actors and actress shouldn't be awarded by how long their contact list is but by how great the performance that they delivered was. If Sandra Bullock had respect for her medium she would have just been confident that she gave the best performance that she could have given in "The Blind Side" and would had just waited to see what would happen. I guess some preformers become so egotistical that they are willing to do anything to win an Academy Award, even if it means making it impossible for actresses that are new to hollywood like Gabourey Sidibe who was nominated for her performance in her first film, Precious from winning.The way the Academy decides on who is given awards needs to be changed to that the Hilary Swanks of hollywood still have a chance to win.     "

Who's egotistical? Bullock joking about the award she just won, or you, thinking you know a thing or two about a thing or two?
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Wolverine said:
"
No Caption Provided
 "Did I really earn this or did I just wear you all down" is how Sandra Bullock started off her acceptance speech for best actress in a leading role for her performance in this year's feature film "The Blind Side". I can just imagine Sandra Bullock getting all dressed up and going to fancy dinner parties kissing up to Academy members to try to get them to vote for her in the same fashion that a political lobbyist tries to convince a politician to support their cause.But film is an art form and actors and actress shouldn't be awarded by how long their contact list is but by how great the performance that they delivered was. If Sandra Bullock had respect for her medium she would have just been confident that she gave the best performance that she could have given in "The Blind Side" and would had just waited to see what would happen. I guess some preformers become so egotistical that they are willing to do anything to win an Academy Award, even if it means making it impossible for actresses that are new to hollywood like Gabourey Sidibe who was nominated for her performance in her first film, Precious from winning.The way the Academy decides on who is given awards needs to be changed to that the Hilary Swanks of hollywood still have a chance to win.     "

Egotistical? She accepted her Razzie in person the night before. That's called humility. By "wearing them down", she's referring to the fact that's been in the buinsess for over 20 years and never been nominated until now. Doing what you described is actually against Academy rules. One of the producers of The Hurt Locker wasn't allowed to attend the ceremony because he sent e-mails to academy members encouraging them to vote for his movie.

Also, you take the Oscars WAY too seriously. What film or performance is entirely subjective and based on the mindset of the person watching it at the time they watched it. Maybe Sanda won because more people thought she had the best performance of the year. So you disagree. So what? That makes the Oscars "illegitimate"? And what does your Hillary Swank comment even mean? They need to change to give the "Hillary Swanks" a chance to win. You do know that Hillary Swank has won an Oscar right? Twice.

I'm glad you like "Precious", but just because it didn't win all the awards you thought it should win doesn't mean the Academy is corrupt.
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NathHaw
@JokerSmilez said:

but just because it didn't win all the awards you thought it should win doesn't mean the Academy is corrupt. "

This is true.  It's corrupt for other reasons.

@Geno said:
" possibly because she's never really been given a chance (sort of like Jim Carrey).   "

Maybe for Man on the Moon is the only time I can think he's come close to getting nominated.  I can't think of any other time he might have deserved it.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

i do think they are all bullshit award shows. the people that only get the awards are the popular ones. there are the movies that u don't know about win while there is more popular one out at the same time.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Afroman269

I hate the oscars less now for giving the Hurt Locker best picture. 

Avatar image for aperturesilence
ApertureSilence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ApertureSilence
@TwoOneFive said:

"i highly doubt she is anything like what you just described, she is married to jesse james for cryin out loud."ld j

Precisely. If she really wanted to, she could just have Jesse James hold up the award show and steal as many Oscars as she wanted.

Until "Dorm Window" director Robert Ford shoots him, that is.
JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By JokerSmilez
@Bloviator said:

" @JokerSmilez said:

but just because it didn't win all the awards you thought it should win doesn't mean the Academy is corrupt. "

Such as? Broken or biased, sure, but that's entirely different than "corrupt".

@Bloviator said:  

@Geno said:

" possibly because she's never really been given a chance (sort of like Jim Carrey).   "

Maybe for Man on the Moon is the only time I can think he's come close to getting nominated.  I can't think of any other time he might have deserved it. "
Truman Show was the one that is most famous. He presented an award and had a funny bit about how it's a honor just to be nominated, before breaking into fake tears. 
NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NathHaw
@JokerSmilez: I was being facetious about the Academy.

I happened to see The Truman Show at a drive-in of all things.  There's still one in operation near me, believe it or not.  I liked the movie quite a bit at the time.  Haven't seen it since, but I've noticed that my tastes have changed a whole bunch over the years.  For instance, I rewatched 10 Things I Hate about You not too long ago, and it doesn't hold up to how much I thought I liked it.  I wonder if The Truman Show would.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Jimbo

About damn time.  It's almost criminal that she didn't win it back in '93 for her moving portrayal of Lt. Lenina Huxley in Demolition Man.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Lowbrow

Wait, people still pay attention to this shit?

Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Ninja
@Lowbrow said:
" Wait, people still pay attention to this shit? "
Apparently. What they don't realise is that the oscars should be called the 'awards for people who do not like to watch fun things.'
thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#43  Edited By thatfrood
@Ninja said:
" @Lowbrow said:
" Wait, people still pay attention to this shit? "
Apparently. What they don't realise is that the oscars should be called the 'awards for people who do not like to watch fun things.' "
that is kind of a dumb thing to say.
Ninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Ninja
@ThatFrood: It's more that kind of dumb, I think you underestimate my stupidity.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By teh_destroyer
@DanielJW said:
We had 2 science fiction movies this get nominated for Best Pic this year, why grumble? Sci-Fi movies are usually over looked by the Academy. Any idea on who won Best Actor? I missed the show :(.
TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46  Edited By TheHBK

Star Wars didn't win Best Picture.  Enough said.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teh_destroyer
@Bloviator said:
" @JokerSmilez said:

@Geno said:

Maybe for Man on the Moon is the only time I can think he's come close to getting nominated.  I can't think of any other time he might have deserved it.   
*Cough* Truman Show *cough*
ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ArchScabby

Who cares?  I watch movies I want to, I don't care what so old dbags say is the best.

Bombs_Away

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Bombs_Away
@teh_destroyer said:
" @DanielJW said:
We had 2 science fiction movies this get nominated for Best Pic this year, why grumble? Sci-Fi movies are usually over looked by the Academy. Any idea on who won Best Actor? I missed the show :(. "
Jeff Bridges....It was deserved too.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By Video_Game_King

There's already a Cracked article on it. Go check it out.