The RPG nerd realtion

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By MrSnow

RPGs have for a long time been considered nerdy. This has kept me away from them even though at the time I was neck deep in messing with files of games to change stuff (modding but not on a super scale like the guys who do real mods. More like twiddling values and stuff). Which where im from is pretty nerdy. Calling me a nerd  is one of my sisters best insults but i just say to her come to me when your laptop breaks!!! . Anyhow Im not that nerdy. i was Captain of the local sports team team two years running  and most of my friends cant tell the difference between a hard drive and memory chip.  

Anyways eventually after all the guys here on G B were saying borderlands was great i bought it and sunk hours into it. My first RPG. after that i played dragon age but didnt play past the circle of magi bit as it was fuck boring. Now I'm playing Fallout 3 and loving it.  

I think the modern nerdy RPG isnt those games its MMORPGs or call of duty as so many of my friends have sunk like a week into that game. (i prefare battlefield. although paying for xbox live is a bitch). Then again whats the difference between level building and an RPG. 

Thoughts answers and trolls all appreciated. 

GioSpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GioSpy

Really? You've avoided RPGs all these years? Man, you're going to have fun :D

People probably consider traditional RPGs as 'nerdy' due to their nature to be, at first glance, about numbers and math and fantasy and stuff. It's really just a first impression kind of deal. Anybody who mocks you for playing an RPG obviously hasn't played one for themselves and realised how fun they can be once you're stuck into them, which might be a bit strange because, in a lot of ways, Call of Duty can be considered an RPG with unlockables, leveling, experience points, etc.

Another reason why people might see RPGs as 'for geeks' is because of the stereotype we've all come across. You know the one, the lonely, friendless teen who sits in their parent's poorly lit basement as the monitor flickers on their face. There's not much we can do to change that though.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

There's also a correlation between people who try not to be nerdy and people who can't fucking spell. 

MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MrSnow
@ryanwho said:
" There's also a correlation between people who try not to be nerdy and people who can't fucking spell.  "
wait where?
l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By l4wd0g

Because it's enjoying something other than 10 different sports? It's all about society and what is deemed acceptable.

Jaktajj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jaktajj
@GioSpy said:
" Really? You've avoided RPGs all these years? Man, you're going to have fun :D "
Word! 

@MrSnow: Get started! You've got a lot to get through!
Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By the_hiro_abides

Were you trying to spell relation? For some reason I thought the topic name was supposed to be retaliation until I read the first post. 

Ben99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Ben99
@MrSnow said:
" @ryanwho said:
" There's also a correlation between people who try not to be nerdy and people who can't fucking spell.  "
wait where? "
title ?
MrSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrSnow
@the_hiro_abides said:
" Were you trying to spell relation? For some reason I thought the topic name was supposed to be retaliation until I read the first post.  "
Yes. balls. 

@el_tajij
said:
" @GioSpy said:
" Really? You've avoided RPGs all these years? Man, you're going to have fun :D "
Word! 

@MrSnow: Get started! You've got a lot to get through! "
Like what? Nobody say resonance of fate. Besides I dont have a ps2 which is the Mecca of RPGs