The show 24. I've got a question.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I was just wondering, are there any fans of that show on here? I don't believe I've ever seen one episode of that show, but the character of Jack Bauer intrigues me. I love the kind of character he is (I think). I mean, even if you they don't have a huge show of personality, but just enough for the character, I mostly love their skills and when they use them. I mean, some of my favorite characters are the ones like Solid Snake, James Bond, Jason Bourne, Batman, Sam Fisher and to a far lesser extent, Agent 47. Agent 47 can be excluded 'cause I don't really care too much for him, but he's still a good example of what I like in characters when it comes to their abilities.

Working for the government or on their own, skilled in hand-to-hand combat, shooting, sneaking; those kinds of things. I love that. Is this that kind of thing? And how much does Jack Bauer do hand-to-hand combat? While I love a good story that revolves around great action, I'm mostly interested in how much action is in the show, and how great it's presented. I'm not referring to things that go boom (i.e. cars that explode and that crap), not that, just an interesting plot, and when it comes time, Jack doing what he does best. Alright, thanks. I hope there are some out there that can answer this. Now that I think about it, I like Ethan Hunt too, but I rarely ever think about him.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

I've never seen the show, I'm just posting to ask who Ethan Hunt is.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By CaLe

@believer258 said:

Tom Cruise's name in Mission Impossible.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm disgusted by the fact that the show is all about exploiting Americans' new found fear of Arabs and Islam by making the good blond guy chase all kinds of bearded brownies with fake ass random ass Arabic names and bring their terrorist ass to justice.

Fuck that offensive show.

CaLe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaLe

Jack Bauer is a guy who can go into a room of bad guys and be the only person who leaves alive, but he doesn't do much hand to hand stuff if I remember correctly. At least when he does, it ends quickly. Some very fake 'knock people out with a quick punch or a very short choke-hold' kinda thing.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

I've only seen parts of seasons 1, 2, 3, and 5 (usually NHL playoffs would begin part way through a season). I don't seem to recall any sort of sneaking/stealth scenes but I do remember the show being great for it's drama and action, not just action. I'm pretty sure it went downhill in the later seasons but I'd say the first 3 seasons are worth watching at least.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Skytylz

First few seasons are alright, goes down hill after that though.

Edit: I guess what that guy said ^

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PolygonSlayer

Season 1-3 are good, after that they should have stopped.

Bumpton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Bumpton

It's been a loooong time since I watched, but I actually saw all seasons. I think it was pretty awesome. Definitely has some high and low seasons though, like others have mentioned. He does sneak and do some hand-to-hand every now and then, but pistol is certainly his weapon of choice from what I recall.

Based on your post though, I think you'd totally dig it. Give the first season a shot. Just keep in mind that the first season came out in 2001 so it'll probably seem hokey at times. Also, some of the side stories were total garbage.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Lukeweizer

It got old fast. The 1st and 2nd season was good, but then it just got repetitive.

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@PolygonSlayer said:

Incorrect, because Season 5 is the best season....and if you don't believe me check out wikipedia or something because it won the Emmy for best drama that year and was very critically praised..HOWEVER the season after that was TERRIBLE and I stopped watching after that

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@CaLe:

Don't forget, he tortures lots of dudes.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

The show was really cool in the beginning but is started feeling like a M. Night Shamaylan film where you were waiting for "the twist" in the storyline. I think it just got played out iby season 6 with the whole President Logan storyline. Jack Bauer is a cool character who has the worse fuckin luck when it comes to terrorists. They just need to put John McClane and Jack Bauer in the same film or tv show and call it "A Fucked Up Day."

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

Jack Bauer has a doctorate in torturin'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@PolygonSlayer said:

I stopped watching mid season three when a nuclear bomb exploded, because … yeah.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hunkulese
@AhmadMetallic

I'm disgusted by the fact that the show is all about exploiting Americans' new found fear of Arabs and Islam by making the good blond guy chase all kinds of bearded brownies with fake ass random ass Arabic names and bring their terrorist ass to justice.

Yeah the show is all about hating Arabs and Islam. Are you high? It's a show about counter terrorism that lasted 8 years, eventually they would be using an middle eastern antagonist. Just because one season they used a bad guy that falls into your demographic the show is an outrage and offensive? What about the American, Russian, Mexican and European bad guys they used? Not to forget the middle eastern dude who worked for ctu who was a pretty heroic guy.

Take your sensationalistic bull shit elsewhere.
begilerath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By begilerath

@AhmadMetallic said:

Have you actually seen a whole season of the show? Spoiler alert I guess, but usually there are white rich guys manipulating everything and those are the real bad guys in that show.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bell_End

@Counterclockwork87 said:

@PolygonSlayer said:

Incorrect, because Season 5 is the best season....and if you don't believe me check out wikipedia or something because it won the Emmy for best drama that year and was very critically praised..HOWEVER the season after that was TERRIBLE and I stopped watching after that

it wasn't TERRIBLE... it just wasn't as good as it had been. was still very watchable in my opinion.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

@CaLe said:

@believer258 said:

Tom Cruise's name in Mission Impossible.

Yeah, pretty much. He's an agent for the fictional espionage agency, IMF. I'm not so sure how much I like Tom Cruise anymore, but still, I like Ethan Hunt's skills, I guess you can say.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@CaLe: @mosespippy: @LobsterVendetta: Alright, cool. Thanks for the posts.

@Bell_End: @Begilerath: @Hunkulese: It's nice that you guys are trying to say what really goes on in the show, but please don't start an argument, I'd like it if this thread wasn't locked because of an argument. Other than that, thanks for your posts.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cmblasko

If you like those characters, you'll love Jack Bauer. I highly recommend giving the show a shot; I would suggest starting at the beginning with Season 1. If you like it then keep going until the end of Season 5 (IMO the best season) then stop, as the quality of the show takes a nosedive in Season 6.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@Hunkulese said:

@AhmadMetallic

Yeah the show is all about hating Arabs and Islam. Are you high? It's a show about counter terrorism that lasted 8 years, eventually they would be using an middle eastern antagonist. Just because one season they used a bad guy that falls into your demographic the show is an outrage and offensive? What about the American, Russian, Mexican and European bad guys they used? Not to forget the middle eastern dude who worked for ctu who was a pretty heroic guy. Take your sensationalistic bull shit elsewhere.

Interesting. So you're saying that the 100 times I randomly saw the show on TV for a glimpse, where there was always a brown bearded Arab being pursued for being a mass murdering parasite, those were all coincidences?

Then I'm wrong.

breezio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By breezio

I've just finished series 2 and it's great. I bet you'd like it based on what you've asked for

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#26  Edited By pyromagnestir

As others have said, from what I remember the show has less hand to hand and sneaking, although that stuff does happen occasionally, and more shootouts and "Tell me what you know!" type interrogation/breaking of guys. It was entertaining. Personally I quit the show shortly into season 6, but seasons 1-3 and 5 were quite good.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By NTM

@cmblasko: I asked this question somewhat prematurely. I have to actually figure out how to watch the seasons first. I hope it's on xfinity or maybe even hulu, if not, I don't really have a way to watch it, and I'm not really willing to pay for a season. Thanks for the advice though.

@AhmadMetallic: Please stop.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NTM

@ChuckBartowski: @pyromagnestir: Alright, sweet. If I do watch it, hopefully I will like it. Thanks for the replies.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By meaninoflife42

Unlike some people here I actually enjoyed season 4 a lot. Yeah it was starting to get cliched and ridiculous by that point but I still liked it a lot. Season 6 was a real shit show for sure but the last two seasons were a bit better but still couldn't live up to those early seasons.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AhmadMetallic

@NTM: I said I'm wrong, that means I stopped :)

PolygonSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PolygonSlayer

@Counterclockwork87 said:

@PolygonSlayer said:

Oh sorry, I thought we were allowed to voice our opinions here. I shall only refer to what the Emmy says next time.

*sigh*

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By cmblasko

@NTM: I know you didn't mention mention it, but Netflix has the entire series.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By uhtaree

There was a lot of sneaking, shooting, hand-to-hand combat in the show when I watched it. A lot of tense moments from what I recall. I only watched about seasons 2-5 though and those were pretty good I thought. After that I got the notion that an already outlandish show was starting to jump the shark in it's own way and I stopped watching. That may have been the first ever show I marathoned though via DVDs. I recommend marathoning it as far as you can.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Hunkulese
@AhmadMetallic

@Hunkulese said:

@AhmadMetallic

Yeah the show is all about hating Arabs and Islam. Are you high? It's a show about counter terrorism that lasted 8 years, eventually they would be using an middle eastern antagonist. Just because one season they used a bad guy that falls into your demographic the show is an outrage and offensive? What about the American, Russian, Mexican and European bad guys they used? Not to forget the middle eastern dude who worked for ctu who was a pretty heroic guy. Take your sensationalistic bull shit elsewhere.

Interesting. So you're saying that the 100 times I randomly saw the show on TV for a glimpse, where there was always a brown bearded Arab being pursued for being a mass murdering parasite, those were all coincidences?

Then I'm wrong.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but Jack Bauer didn't discriminate, he beat down all the scum regardless of nationality and multiple nationalities got their turn to be the mass murdering parasite. More often than not an American was the biggest douchebag of the season anyway.
Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@AhmadMetallic: You watch too much TV

24 is a decent enough show, it was semi-innovative at the time and Dennis Haysbert is an American hero, the supporting cast got worse and worse after the first season however.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

You'd probably like it. There's a bit where he kills a guy with a throwing knife.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By NTM

See here.

I love what they're doing with Sam Fisher's skills. They're utilizing his physical combat more, and that's what I've wanted. The only thing here that I don't necessarily like is how violent it is. I mean, I do like it kind of, but I like the way Batman does it. "No guns, no killing". Or in this case, no killing. That's not Sam's style though, obviously.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Benny

@Begilerath said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

Have you actually seen a whole season of the show? Spoiler alert I guess, but usually there are white rich guys manipulating everything and those are the real bad guys in that show.

Pretty much, plus the only season in which an arab dude is a bad guy is season 4. The rest of the show mainly consists of a small amount serbian dudes, russian dudes and chinese dudes, and then a vast majority of Americans doing all the real bad shit. Almost all terrorist attacks in 24 are politically motivated with presidential candidates or their associates pulling the strings and it almost always ends with Jack being branded a bad guy anyway.

Right before jack 'dies' at the end of season 7 he seeks spiritual advice from an imam too who (shocker) is portrayed as a regular dude like everyone else.

Sure the series has a lot of dumb shit in it, but there are plenty of good and bad people of all races and religions in that show.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#39  Edited By szlifier

Seriously people stop this fucking political correctness bullshit on these forums. 

It's a great show. I decided to go through all of the episodes when season 6 was around. I don't remember my favorite season, but up to fifth it was rock solid.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40  Edited By veektarius

I tried watching the first season and I thought the plot was preposterous, but I don't generally like TV shows.

redbliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By redbliss

@NTM: I consider myself to be a pretty big fan of the show. I watched all of the seasons and enjoyed them all for the most part, even the later ones. As far as the characters go in 24, I would say they are pretty good. Most of them are fairly predictable (for example, it is always easy to know which characters are going to oppose Jack and which ones will defend him), but they all serve a purpose on the show. The show has always had a big problem when it comes to the characters, and that is the acting. For the most part, the acting overall is bad. There are a few characters every now and then that are good, and Sutherland and always good, but most of the support characters are horribly acted. I always felt that added some charm to the show in a way and made it funnier at times, but there really is no denying the acting isnt good.

Another thing I think you should know is that it really isnt a show about action. Yes there are action parts that happen, but they usually dont last very long and they dont happen every episode. Instead, the show relies a lot more on the tension that builds up as you get to milestone moments in each season. Each season pretty much follows the same basic structure, but it is kind of amazing how the show will have you sitting on the edge of your seat to see what will happen next. 24 definitely has moments at the end of episodes that will make you want to play the next episode immediately.

As far as what I would recommend to watch, I would suggest watching seasons 1-3. If you get through the first season and dont like it, then you should stop watching because every season is pretty much more of the same. However, if you enjoy season one continue to season 2 and 3. If you like seasons 1-3 then I would suggest watching seasons 4 and 5. Season 4 is all right, but season 5 is all most a must-watch season if you like the show. The show goes down hill after season 5. I would suggest finishing the show out because it is definitely worth it, but I would not say any of the final seasons are necessary to the 24 experience. However, after watching all of the 24 seasons and seeing the grand finale in the final season, I felt like all the time I spent watching the show was worth it.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#42  Edited By StarvingGamer

@AhmadMetallic said:

@NTM: I said I'm wrong, that means I stopped :)

That's an incredibly passive-aggressive way of saying you're wrong.

Especially considering how insanely wrong you are. I can only think of one season where Arabs were the primary antagonists. And still most of the major Arab characters were portrayed as either good guys or neutral. Even the "villains" were usually sympathetic characters.

Unless they were American villains. The American villains were always scumbags.

theveej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By theveej

Splinter Cell Conviction was pretty much 24 the game, so if you like that, you like the tv show.

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#44  Edited By Omega

I watched a few seasons of 24 and got really bored after awhile. The show is very formulaic and follow similar story beats each season. As far as spy shows go I think Burn Notice is way better. I like the light tone and the A-Team vibe I get from it. And while it's no less formulaic I just generally have more fun watching it than I ever did 24.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45  Edited By Sooty

@PolygonSlayer said:

I think 1-5 was good, and 6 was good too at first, but lost all momentum after the nuke went off.

Zekhariah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Zekhariah

It is a decent show, but the plotting and character plausibility fall down kind of hard some times.

It tends to get written into situations that almost seem like they need to go for humor (Saints Row the Third style, because of how crazy circumstances get). But then it is always deadly serious, so its more of a..... okay I guess that moves the plot along..... kind of reaction.