Thoughts on Marvel's Jessica Jones so far?

• 103 results
I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Bravo on Netflix and Marvel okaying Daredevil and Jessica Jones which are more darker versions to their Marvel cinematic and Marvel Agents of Shield counterparts. At the moment I'm up to episode 3 in the series and I kinda like that the series is for one grounded into a reality that is believable, and secondly there isn't a boss fight of the week type feel that other series tend to have. One last thing to clarify is that with the Marvel brand especially when it comes to tv and movies I've always associated it with something that would be friendly for all ages, this however like Daredevil isn't for the younglings. I have to wonder with the more adult oriented themes that go along with the Netflix series if this will be something we might see the cinematic stuff go at in the future.

P.S Kristen Ritter as Jessica Jones kicks ass.

dodgyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Just finished it. One of the darkest shows I've seen for a while. Not just the blood and violence, but the mental effects etc. Feels like a grown up Veronica Mars + superpowers, and some Dexter thrown in for good measure. Really enjoyed it but I think I need a cold shower now.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It felt a lot lighter on the action than Daredevil, at least earlier on, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing because I was into the sleuth vibe. A lot more sex than I was expecting from a Marvel show as well, even one on Netflix. I thought they did a great job building up Kilgrave as almost a boogeyman figure in the beginning before he got real screen time, and then later on did some things with him that really showed what an absolute creep the guy is. I was a bit worried how they would portray a guy with mind control powers without getting cheesy, but I thought they pulled it off well. Stuff towards the end got a bit contrived, but I thought it finished better than Daredevil did. Overall, I really enjoyed it and I liked a lot of the performances on the show, Jones and Kilgrave probably being the strongest.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm only a handful of episodes in, but it's very good so far. It gets very dark very quick, but it doesn't feel like just a bunch of sex and violence for the sake of having a "mature and edgy" superhero show, which I greatly appreciate. Too many recent superhero movies have tried that and failed.

Besides, all the sex and violence in the world feels like kids stuff compared to the psychological fucked-uppery that Killgrave partakes in. I think it's fair to say he's the most disturbing and truly evil villain to ever appear in a Marvel Cinematic property. By several orders of magnitude. It's a bit odd to consider that this is actually in the same world as the movies and someone like Loki can be considered a higher ranking villain.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

As I've said elsewhere, it wasn't bad, but it's extremely ponderous. It could easily have been five episodes long with 75% less characters. I've never cared about the character enough to read her series, so maybe they were characters from it that fans wanted to see in the show, but there was no reason to have included the lawyer/doctor/secretary love triangle, the support group, or the creepy brother and sister.

Windir2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Windir2112

Jessica Jones is far from my favourite comic character, but I'm enjoying it so far. I'm about 5 episodes in and my only complaint so far is that no one has any real motivation. Why is Killgrave obsessed? Who knows so far.

Besides that, I find myself much more interested in seeing Luke's story progress as opposed to Jessica's. I don't find her interesting really.

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Is it better than Daredevil? Beyond the third episode that show was a chore to get through, so I'd hope for better character development here.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

6 episodes in and all I gotta say is she has no respect for padlocks.

petethepanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

2 in so far. Liking it quite a bit but keeping expectations in check, still bummed out after Daredevil started ridiculously strong and then kind of petered out.

j4yk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fun fact about the show. The show runner of the series is the same person who wrote the first Twilight movie.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

@a_cute_squirtle said:

Is it better than Daredevil? Beyond the third episode that show was a chore to get through, so I'd hope for better character development here.

Definitely. I also didn't like Daredevil past the third episode, and I think the intrigue is a lot more consistent than in Daredevil.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Not reading for fear of spoilers but loved the first 2 episodes. My only fear was how convincing the waifish Rytter could portray a character with super-strength and I have not been disappointed. She got fucking fit, and the action scene in the bar was great and also full of storytelling instead of just being a throwaway action scene. Also real refreshing seeing a show tackle rape/abuse so uncompromisingly.

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Shivoa
@a_cute_squirtle said:

If the bad script was part of what turned you away then this series (which is a pretty different take on Marvel's Hell's Kitchen set) definitely corrects that so doesn't have DD's issue of having to lean on the acting to get you through some clunky lines. The characters all feel like they have their own things going on and existed before the series does. It's definitely trading in a lot of the fight scenes (there are a few notable ones later on but nothing like DD's frequency) in order to make a slowly boiling noir/psychological horror show that explores every character you meet.

I mirror the views of this review (mild spoilers, if you're already planning to keep on watching there's no reason to read this until you've finished it):

There's no such thing as collateral damage in this show — not really. Every death, every injury, has emotional weight. And that means something because this show has a body count that is not kidding around, but feels earned every step of the way. Especially because the people affected by the action aren't cast aside or easily discarded, and the damage done isn't just done by trauma. How the traumatized affect others is also important, a reminder that responsibility for our actions isn't mitigated by circumstance. The words "I'm sorry" are said a lot over the course of these 13 episodes. They very often need to be heard.

The Jessica/Kilgrave storyline originated from the comics. […] But major credit is due to [show creator Melissa Rosenberg] for not dodging the word “rape” the way that Bendis did in Alias, and for in general making Kilgrave’s powers the centerpiece of a story about consent, and control […] Kilgrave’s powers make the metaphor explicit, but it’s implicit in so many ways, so many subplots, and it’s something Jessica Jones [the show] just gets.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm only halfway through, but this might be the best thing Marvel's ever adapted for film or television.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm at ep 8 and I'm having a hard time enjoying it. There's too many characters that serve very little purpose, and I kinda hate most of them. It has had its moments, like the police station, but I can't help feeling huge chunks of it serve very little purpose. Any time she storms into the lawyers office and is all like "You owe me" I want to scream at my tv. I hope that divorce subplot goes somewhere, because it's boring as shit.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

I binge watched the first season right away and finished it in 2 sittings more or less. I absolutely loved it and I know next to nothing about Jessica Jones other than the basics. Reminded me a lot of the manga/anime series Monster which doesn't seem like it's getting that Guillermo Del Doper treatment for TV anymore. Of course this reaches a conclusion in a fraction of the time so you're not going to hear me gripe that much about the pacing. Sure there are extraneous supporting characters and sub plots here and there but whatever man, never before has Marvel's street level heroes and villains been portrayed so well. If anything these supplemental tragedies make you really want the bad guy to get what's coming to him. Maybe I'm just becoming a fanboy of these Marvel Netflix shows but I'm pumped for everything else they plan on releasing.

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Fantastic show. Easy recommend.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm 3 episodes in and I'm loving it so far, which I wasn't expecting since I absolutely hated Daredevil.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By monetarydread

Wow,well that show... goes places. I'm surprised that a show actually went darker than the final season of the Shield; this show went dark and it didn't feel exploitative in its attempt.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By awesomeusername

I really liked it a lot. Kind of wished there had been more fights but that's because Daredevil had a ton of that. Kilgrave is my favorite MCU villain now. Dude was funny and a psychotic monster. As someone said above, I liked that they didn't shy away from saying he raped Jones. Shows how serious this show gets. I initially thought they were going to shy away from that because when they first discuss Kilgrave taking her, she says he made her do bad things and never mentioned the rape. Only after a certain episode does she say it. I hope like Daredevil, we get another season. I can't wait for Luke Cages show. I got really excited at the bar fight when his power gets shown. Also, can't wait to see Nuke make a comeback and hopefully Trish eventually turns into Hellcat.

The only bad things I can say about the show were the twins and the support group. Oh boy, Kilgrave stole your jacket, boo fucking hoo. Others were raped, tortured, killed, etc.

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm liking it, but so far I liked Daredevil much better. The large amount of sex is a bit much for my taste, but the whole show is a metaphor for rape and all so I get it. However, I have a REALLY hard time with Will (the cop) eating Trish out the very next episode after he attempted to kill her and seeing her super affected by it.

Definitely interested in the Luke Cage series. He's pretty awesome in this.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesomeusername: As I recall, he never actually raped her in the comics. What he did was far more twisted and messed up. But I suppose it makes sense that they would choose not to dwell on the specifics too much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great show think I'm on ep6 or 7 can't remember it's hard for me to be invested into a tv show because I enjoy gaming way more then TV but so far this series has kept me hooked so it seems like a winner so far.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I recommend watching this show to however has Netflix.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Huh, I never read the comics so I wouldn't know all the specifics. I googled her when Marvel announced the show about a year ago or more. I know he forced her to watch him rape other girls but I didn't remember if I read that he raped her. Still messed up either way though.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DarkeyeHails

I liked the series, though somewhat less than Daredevil. There are several times where the show is hitting all the notes it needs to but frequently, for all its blood and psycho-trauma, the show just feels mired in the jaded sensibilities of a teenager. You also get the feeling that the creatives behind the show didn't like most of the characters appearing in it and that starts to bleed over to you. Sure, it's fun to watch Jessica and co. be arsehats to each other for an episode or two but thirteen episodes deep and it starts to wear a little thin. All in all, it wears on you and takes the shine off an otherwise pretty good apple.

JRM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally think Daredevil is better, worth watching an episode or two to see if it grabs you though.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28  Edited By JasonR86

Just finished it. It gets better as it goes and ends on a strong note. The Jessica Jones character grew on me as well. The action scenes were a little clunky, especially compared to Daredevil. The darker tone and really difficult themes brought up were surprising considering this is a Marvel/Disney property but I'm not sure I would have blinked an eye had this been a new property not associated with any big entertainment company. Also the show has a tendency to jump back and forth really quickly between tones.

But minus little complaints I did like the show a lot and would recommend it.

2HeadedNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only watched 1 episode so far but it seems good. I graviatate towards more action-y stuff so I don't know if I will like it more than Daredevil in the end but when it comes to a dark setting this seems really good. I also like that who I guess is the Purple Man is portrayed as really dangerous and scary, because his powers would be just that.

meaninoflife42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 episodes in and I think it's much better then Daredevil. That's high praise from me because I really enjoyed Daredevil.

Also, David Tennent deserves an Emmy.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil is amazing and I can't wait for season 2, but god damn is JJ also damn amazing. I am really, really digging all these netflix Marvel CMU shows, and am even more hyped for the future ones. I'm only 5 episodes into Jessica Jones and I love it, the change in tone from Daredevil is great, putting her powers in the background for a lot of the show is a good way to make the characters feel like people.

And holy shit is David Tennant creepy as fuckkkkkkk. I always loved the uncommon Doctor Who episode when he went overboard, and this just confirms the thought I had that he would make an excellent villain, and he does! I can't wait to see more messed up stuff he does.

ColossalGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is a good show but, it spends a lot of time on story lines that are not that interesting. I liked Daredevil more because the action was better but, this show has more interesting themes and a better villain.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Only seen the first episode. Seems ok. Acting is good, seems well cast. Going to sit down and watch the rest of the season this weekend I figure.

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked Daredevil better just a little bit more since I knew more about him than Jones. but with the said I still loved what this series had to say. It was a fuck up fun ride.

TheFakePsychic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 18

I watched all 13 episodes that Friday (which "watching every episode of something in one day" is something I've only ever done once before that), and I would say that it's easily my favorite MCU thing to date.

Admittedly, it's probably mostly brought about by playing to my interests super well, but hey. All I can say is it worked.

Avatar image for deactivated-5dac8b1b10957
deactivated-5dac8b1b10957

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

They did a great job with Kilgrave. So great, in fact, that it makes the rest of the show feel sterile and uninspired.

morello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to finish it, I'm on episode 11, but after a strong few episodes at the start I can't overlook the terrible, inexplicable choices the characters make in a couple of episodes. Tennant does a great job with Kilgrave, to the extent that as DrGreatJob says the other aspects and the characters feel much duller by comparison. It's still worth watching, but I'm underwhelmed.

GabrielCantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morello: This is sort of where I came out on it too. Finished it Saturday and David Tennant as Kilgrave is far and away the best part of the show, with Jessica herself being OK. I couldn't muster up the slightest bit of caring about all of the supporting cast so any time something did happen with them it was just met with an "eh". There was also just nothing in the show that really got to me on any kind of "personal" level, so I can recognize a quality to it but I would never put it as any kind of "favorite."

I guess it's worth noting I really liked Daredevil, as much as I am usually not into the "look how dark and gritty we made this superhero" thing. I mean, Daredevil managed to inexplicably make me care a lot about a subordinate of the main antagonist the point where it really messed me up when the died.

N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I feel like Jessica Jones' peaks were higher than Daredevil by a bunch, but Daredevil had a more consistent quality throughout the season. There were a few episodes in a row in JJ where I was just like "Man this is kind of dumb".

But if you guys liked anything having to do with Simpson in the later half of the season, go check out a movie called The Guest. It's on US Netflix and it's a fucking blast. Awesome movie. You'll see what I mean when you watch it.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These Netflix marvel shows are redeeming the whole mcu for me. They are soooo much better than the avenger related movies. And its nice to see Kristen Ritter catch a, decently, big break. Her take on being an irreverent bad ass is a thing to behold.

So yeah, I highly recommend it + daredevil. The fact that they are both standalone (with some some slight, inconsequential, references) makes jumping in painless. Super excited for Luke cage/iron fist/defenders (hopefully all coming out next year). It's nice to see comic book adaptations that respect its viewers intelligence. Can't say the same thing about the avengers movies, but what are yah gonna do.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've two episodes left and so far it's been pretty good but I agree with a few people here saying that you could probably cut an episode or two and some scenes and condense it into a much tighter experience. There's at least one or two episodes that feel a bit long in the tooth.

All the actors are great in their roles though some of them just tend to drop in and out a lot. The only character I think is downright bad is Hope Shlottman. Spoilers follow - She's just an awful plot device who fails to do or be anything other than a plot device and a rather destructive one at that. Even her name is awful. Hope? You're going to call a character whose entire deal is that she gives Jessica Jones some sort of hope of putting Kilgrave away for his crimes instead of just having to kill him which is obviously the easier play, you're going to call that person Hope? A character called Hope who destroys Jessica's hope when she kills herself out of nowhere after showing no suicidal tendencies just so Jessica loses all hope of her original plan?

But it's another good series, nice to see Daredevil certainly wasn't a once off.

vocalcannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One of my only issues so far (finished episode 7 before going to bed last night) is that the fight scenes have been a huge slog for me. In their attempt to show 'super strength vs regular strength', I think they lost something while tring to avoid making it look like everyone and everything is on wires.

Watching Jessica throw furniture around is kind of embarrassing to watch when the huge plywood tables look like they weigh 10 pounds anyway. The choreography feels like it went overboard making regular opponents look weaker than her and Luke, so instead of seeing 'wow she caught the pipe he was going to hit her with!' I was like 'wow that actor wasn't swinging that prop very fast to begin with'.

Don't get me wrong, I think the only reason I'm picking on this so much is because I like everything else for the most part. I am super impressed with how scary and creepy they were able to make Kilgrave, in particular.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#43  Edited By sammo21

The show is really good but it is in no way better than Daredevil. Like others have said it felt like they really stretched it out an episode or two longer than they had original plans for. The action was never as good but I really liked their handling of Luke Cage, but I'm curious as to how they are going to handle his origins later on.

I actually found her powers, and Luke's, to be rather inconsistent at times...but maybe that's just me. I also thought it was weird there were 0 references to the "Devil of Hell's Kitchen" when that should have taken place before this.

@rongalaxy The Netflix shows span almost 13 hours for ONE storyline and are made for mature audiences. All of the MCU films are roughly 2-2.5 hours in length and are made for all audiences. I think its weird to act like they should be the same. I also don't think they "insult" anyone's intelligence but to each their own.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vocalcannibal: I think the more casual displays of strength, like Jessica snapping off a lock, or bending a metal chair's legs, were much more effective in showing off her power. I agree that they lost something in the fight scenes, but to be fair it's probably a pretty tough thing to build a fight scene around a character with super strength, especially when it's just a show for Netflix. I think that Agents of Shield has the same problem, where people kinda look like they're flying away on wires. Daredevil I thought had kind of the opposite problem were I thought it took way too long for DD to put down regular goons. I think they need to find some kind of middle ground to distance these hero characters from the regular folks without going overboard.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 episodes in, I find it to lack pacing and Krysten Ritter's acting is way too flat.

I'll watch a bit more before passing judgement but so far it hasn't grabbed me.

ChocolateT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Binged it all this weekend, impressed by how they had the balls to go after a darker tone with the mental and physical effects shown in this first season. Whole lot of collateral which the show doesn't shy away. Great show, amazing how the MCU TV shows on Netflix are single handedly keeping me interested in the extended universe stuff ( Winter Soldier was great though).

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally love this show. Jessica Jones topped Daredevil as my favorite Marvel/superhero series.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm at ep 8 and I'm having a hard time enjoying it. There's too many characters that serve very little purpose, and I kinda hate most of them. It has had its moments, like the police station, but I can't help feeling huge chunks of it serve very little purpose. Any time she storms into the lawyers office and is all like "You owe me" I want to scream at my tv. I hope that divorce subplot goes somewhere, because it's boring as shit.

It's worldbuilding. That lawyer is Iron Fist's lawyer from the comic so she will be appearing in other Netflix shows.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be curious now that Kevin Feige isn't under Permutter for creative decisions if we'll start seeing more Movie and TV crossover or references?

Only 3 episodes in to Jessica Jones and I really like it. Thank god the rest of my TV shows aren't on this week so I can finish it up over the holidays. They definitely push that TV-MA rating more than Daredevil did. And like many of the voices its nice to see that Daredevil wasn't a fluke.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

The one difficult part about this show is trying to pinpoint the exact timeline of this show in congruence with the rest of the MCU media. I'm assuming the show takes place present day but probably occurs sometime before Daredevil? There was some mention of the Avengers but not so much of anything else so we at least know the Avengers are known in the Universe. Wasn't there a giant explosion that occurred in Hell's Kitchen in the Daredevil show? You'd think because this was such a big event in Hell's Kitchen there would more than likely be a mention of this, which I haven't recalled yet so far.